Actually these travel photos are taken by me and by my wife Barbara. For years we were free as two birds. But now that we have two little daughters and we will be bound to our house for some time, it's flickr that let's me travel instead. And instead of taking pictures I take favs. Barbara however is hardly interested in what's going on on flickr.
So the postings lean for some time on older travels: I am awaiting the moment that we set out again, curious as our kids.
I believe photography and travelling have a lot in common.
One can raise the same questions about both.
Both being such a superficial immersion in a reality really unknown, I can not say whether travelling/photography in the end is merely escapistic
or gets you out of the ordinary ordinary into some self-imagined essential ordinary.
The latter at least calls the imagination, triggered by some things apparently shared all over the world yet new and freshly seen through the big eyes of a child.
But we know such imagination can dangerously set us astray. How can focussing on a reality of someone else unknown, rather than your own, bring you closer to some truth? Does running away not trick us into some cheap sense of (visual) beauty that's only beautyful because you are detached, making you a mistaken collector of fairy tale truths?
On the other hand, the forces of globalisation are too quick catching up, emancipating and transforming the material of human life to an abstract level that merely leaves us such mistaken fairy taile truths about that human life's antecedents anyway.
(For example consider the origin of religions. It's hard to imagine any new religion being born outside the realm of Internet.)
So I hang to these far away impressions and I desperately long to set out again - spending all this time on flickr in the mean time.
Photos of Ahron de Leeuw (1)
- Asia Street Photography (ASP) 304 photos, 701 members
- Murals and Mosaics 56,385 photos, 3,705 members
- Historical Places of Bangladesh 1,104 photos, 469 members
- ASIA - DECAY AND ABANDONMENT 2,644 photos, 265 members
- China Off the Beaten Path 12,697 photos, 490 members
- Mystic Travellers 3,136 photos, 184 members
- Children's book illustrators and authors 20,645 photos, 1,903 members
- Vintage Childrens Books 30,246 photos, 5,151 members
- 'COLORS OF INDIA' 3,958 photos, 1,789 members
- People of North East India 3,087 photos, 199 members
- Cemeteries around the world 21,141 photos, 575 members
- Antropologia Visual / Visual Anthropology 40,493 photos, 2,123 members
- Extreme Street Photography (ESP) 3,740 photos, 18,125 members
- Prints of Darkness 20,058 photos, 6,871 members
- Maroon culture 199 photos, 20 members
- silhouette 364,140 photos, 55,612 members
- National Geographic: Are You Good Enough? Post 1, Nominate 3 1,139,096 photos, 75,516 members
- Maroc - Morocco [tag "Morocco"] 70,273 photos, 3,335 members
- Morocco 44,481 photos, 5,361 members
- Suriname pictures 4,638 photos, 218 members
- LIFE IN INDIA 102,050 photos, 4,009 members
- The Pritzker Architecture Prize on Flickr (Post 1 - Award 2) 116,644 photos, 13,001 members
- SAARC Photographers 14,529 photos, 783 members
- Mosques and Minarets 48,391 photos, 6,667 members
- VINTAGE PHOTO SHARING 31,458 photos, 2,127 members
- Bangladeshi Photographers 159,750 photos, 4,930 members
- I am on WritingTravellers 678 photos, 155 members
- worldwidewandering - a travel atlas 522,163 photos, 7,142 members
- India - Miniature Paintings and Wall Paintings 754 photos, 175 members
- India Song 32,225 photos, 1,587 members
- People of the Great Rivers 5,797 photos, 1,063 members
- Cultural Boxes 85,083 photos, 2,776 members
- Israel 69,909 photos, 1,842 members
- Jewish World 27,033 photos, 2,518 members
- Cemeteries - Cementerios - Friedhoefe - Cimetières - Cimiteri 132,516 photos, 7,712 members
- Peoples of India 64,517 photos, 4,087 members
- Decisive Moment 60,774 photos, 32,066 members
- Amsterdam Canal Hunters 7,240 photos, 735 members
- Praise and curse of the city 96,391 photos, 2,976 members
- Global Photojournalism 461,609 photos, 23,714 members
- APF contest is Closed 0 photos, 1,366 members
- 50 MILLION MISSING: A CAMPAIGN TO END INDIA'S FEMALE GENDERCIDE 16,834 photos, 2,507 members
- Lonely Planet: Photo Challenges -- 'Expanse' 131,872 photos, 15,578 members
- Architectural Details 25,589 photos, 547 members
- top20kafkaesk 13 photos, 10 members
- 100 years old 29,968 photos, 6,384 members
- buildings all over the world 1,438 photos, 82 members
- Bengal / Bangla 16,898 photos, 1,306 members
- Issyk Kul & Titicaca Friends 928 photos, 221 members
- TRAVEL Photography! 947,718 photos, 15,098 members
Ahron de Leeuw doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Ahron de Leeuw
- December 2005
- Amsterdam, Netherlands
- I am:
- Male and Taken