Actually these travel photos are taken by me and by my wife Barbara. For years we were free as two birds. But now that we have two little daughters and we will be bound to our house for some time, it's flickr that let's me travel instead. And instead of taking pictures I take favs. Barbara however is hardly interested in what's going on on flickr.
So the postings lean for some time on older travels: I am awaiting the moment that we set out again, curious as our kids.
I believe photography and travelling have a lot in common.
One can raise the same questions about both.
Both being such a superficial immersion in a reality really unknown, I can not say whether travelling/photography in the end is merely escapistic
or gets you out of the ordinary ordinary into some self-imagined essential ordinary.
The latter at least calls the imagination, triggered by some things apparently shared all over the world yet new and freshly seen through the big eyes of a child.
But we know such imagination can dangerously set us astray. How can focussing on a reality of someone else unknown, rather than your own, bring you closer to some truth? Does running away not trick us into some cheap sense of (visual) beauty that's only beautyful because you are detached, making you a mistaken collector of fairy tale truths?
On the other hand, the forces of globalisation are too quick catching up, emancipating and transforming the material of human life to an abstract level that merely leaves us such mistaken fairy taile truths about that human life's antecedents anyway.
(For example consider the origin of religions. It's hard to imagine any new religion being born outside the realm of Internet.)
So I hang to these far away impressions and I desperately long to set out again - spending all this time on flickr in the mean time.
Photos of Ahron de Leeuw (1)
- Asia Street Photography (ASP) 302 photos, 730 members
- Murals and Mosaics 58,364 photos, 3,734 members
- Historical Places of Bangladesh 1,133 photos, 472 members
- ASIA - DECAY AND ABANDONMENT 2,664 photos, 267 members
- China Off the Beaten Path 12,849 photos, 490 members
- Mystic Travellers 3,205 photos, 185 members
- Children's book illustrators and authors 20,952 photos, 1,916 members
- Vintage Childrens Books 30,473 photos, 5,167 members
- 'COLORS OF INDIA' 3,950 photos, 1,872 members
- People of North East India 3,087 photos, 200 members
- Cemeteries around the world 22,694 photos, 597 members
- Antropologia Visual / Visual Anthropology 41,363 photos, 2,146 members
- Extreme Street Photography (ESP) 3,746 photos, 18,314 members
- Prints of Darkness 20,380 photos, 6,875 members
- Maroon culture 199 photos, 20 members
- silhouette 366,925 photos, 56,981 members
- National Geographic: Are You Good Enough? Post 1, Nominate 3 1,147,755 photos, 75,828 members
- Maroc - Morocco [tag "Morocco"] 71,740 photos, 3,384 members
- Morocco 45,228 photos, 5,429 members
- Suriname pictures 4,677 photos, 220 members
- LIFE IN INDIA 105,453 photos, 4,130 members
- The Pritzker Architecture Prize on Flickr (Post 1 - Award 2) 114,407 photos, 12,734 members
- SAARC Photographers 14,736 photos, 789 members
- Mosques and Minarets 49,066 photos, 6,737 members
- VINTAGE PHOTO SHARING 32,557 photos, 2,163 members
- Bangladeshi Photographers 160,552 photos, 4,923 members
- I am on WritingTravellers 685 photos, 154 members
- worldwidewandering - a travel atlas 539,967 photos, 7,276 members
- India - Miniature Paintings and Wall Paintings 722 photos, 175 members
- India Song 32,695 photos, 1,590 members
- People of the Great Rivers 5,955 photos, 1,082 members
- Cultural Boxes 86,008 photos, 2,780 members
- Israel 70,800 photos, 1,849 members
- Jewish World 27,371 photos, 2,537 members
- Cemeteries - Cementerios - Friedhoefe - Cimetières - Cimiteri 134,736 photos, 7,765 members
- Peoples of India 66,108 photos, 4,116 members
- Decisive Moment 60,506 photos, 33,081 members
- Amsterdam Canal Hunters 7,523 photos, 752 members
- Praise and curse of the city 97,138 photos, 2,975 members
- Global Photojournalism 470,077 photos, 23,844 members
- APF contest is Closed 0 photos, 1,366 members
- 50 MILLION MISSING: A CAMPAIGN TO END INDIA'S FEMALE GENDERCIDE 16,797 photos, 2,517 members
- Lonely Planet: Photo Challenges -- this week: 'Return' 135,341 photos, 15,708 members
- Architectural Details 26,290 photos, 546 members
- top20kafkaesk 29 photos, 11 members
- 100 years old 30,269 photos, 6,353 members
- buildings all over the world 1,458 photos, 85 members
- Bengal / Bangla 19,050 photos, 1,379 members
- Issyk Kul & Titicaca Friends 927 photos, 223 members
- TRAVEL Photography! 1,009,153 photos, 15,690 members
Ahron de Leeuw doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Ahron de Leeuw
- December 2005
- Amsterdam, Netherlands
- I am:
- Male and Taken