Actually these travel photos are taken by me and by my wife Barbara. For years we were free as two birds. But now that we have two little daughters and we will be bound to our house for some time, it's flickr that let's me travel instead. And instead of taking pictures I take favs. Barbara however is hardly interested in what's going on on flickr.
So the postings lean for some time on older travels: I am awaiting the moment that we set out again, curious as our kids.
I believe photography and travelling have a lot in common.
One can raise the same questions about both.
Both being such a superficial immersion in a reality really unknown, I can not say whether travelling/photography in the end is merely escapistic
or gets you out of the ordinary ordinary into some self-imagined essential ordinary.
The latter at least calls the imagination, triggered by some things apparently shared all over the world yet new and freshly seen through the big eyes of a child.
But we know such imagination can dangerously set us astray. How can focussing on a reality of someone else unknown, rather than your own, bring you closer to some truth? Does running away not trick us into some cheap sense of (visual) beauty that's only beautyful because you are detached, making you a mistaken collector of fairy tale truths?
On the other hand, the forces of globalisation are too quick catching up, emancipating and transforming the material of human life to an abstract level that merely leaves us such mistaken fairy taile truths about that human life's antecedents anyway.
(For example consider the origin of religions. It's hard to imagine any new religion being born outside the realm of Internet.)
So I hang to these far away impressions and I desperately long to set out again - spending all this time on flickr in the mean time.
Photos of Ahron de Leeuw (1)
- Asia Street Photography (ASP) 303 photos, 676 members
- Murals and Mosaics 53,589 photos, 3,626 members
- Historical Places of Bangladesh 1,109 photos, 459 members
- ASIA - DECAY AND ABANDONMENT 2,617 photos, 263 members
- China Off the Beaten Path 12,505 photos, 484 members
- Mystic Travellers 3,103 photos, 175 members
- Children's book illustrators and authors 20,319 photos, 1,878 members
- Vintage Childrens Books 29,498 photos, 5,103 members
- 'COLORS OF INDIA' 3,965 photos, 1,688 members
- People of North East India 3,054 photos, 196 members
- Cemeteries around the world 20,777 photos, 537 members
- Antropologia Visual / Visual Anthropology 40,460 photos, 2,091 members
- Extreme Street Photography (ESP) 3,692 photos, 17,795 members
- Prints of Darkness 19,994 photos, 6,862 members
- Maroon culture 199 photos, 19 members
- silhouette 357,530 photos, 53,413 members
- National Geographic: Are You Good Enough? Post 1, Nominate 3 1,128,340 photos, 74,806 members
- Maroc - Morocco [tag "Morocco"] 68,364 photos, 3,264 members
- Morocco 43,398 photos, 5,281 members
- Suriname pictures 4,643 photos, 214 members
- LIFE IN INDIA 97,014 photos, 3,876 members
- The Pritzker Architecture Prize on Flickr (Post 1 - Award 2) 117,038 photos, 13,103 members
- SAARC Photographers 14,291 photos, 772 members
- Mosques and Minarets 47,501 photos, 6,561 members
- VINTAGE PHOTO SHARING 30,281 photos, 2,040 members
- Bangladeshi Photographers 157,631 photos, 4,941 members
- I am on WritingTravellers 672 photos, 156 members
- worldwidewandering - a travel atlas 492,451 photos, 6,922 members
- India - Miniature Paintings and Wall Paintings 666 photos, 170 members
- India Song 31,910 photos, 1,585 members
- People of the Great Rivers 5,815 photos, 1,033 members
- Cultural Boxes 84,414 photos, 2,769 members
- Israel 67,787 photos, 1,816 members
- Jewish World 26,331 photos, 2,500 members
- Cemeteries - Cementerios - Friedhoefe - Cimetières - Cimiteri 128,555 photos, 7,579 members
- Peoples of India 62,844 photos, 4,021 members
- Decisive Moment 61,023 photos, 29,951 members
- Amsterdam Canal Hunters 6,973 photos, 714 members
- Praise and curse of the city 94,832 photos, 2,974 members
- Global Photojournalism 447,476 photos, 23,501 members
- APF contest is Closed 0 photos, 1,372 members
- 50 MILLION MISSING: A CAMPAIGN TO END INDIA'S FEMALE GENDERCIDE 17,318 photos, 2,496 members
- Lonely Planet: Photo Challenges -- 'Danger' 126,895 photos, 15,384 members
- Architectural Details 24,527 photos, 547 members
- top20kafkaesk 29 photos, 10 members
- 100 years old 29,352 photos, 6,378 members
- buildings all over the world 1,364 photos, 78 members
- Bengal / Bangla 16,315 photos, 1,240 members
- Issyk Kul & Titicaca Friends 928 photos, 221 members
- TRAVEL Photography! 861,856 photos, 14,150 members
Ahron de Leeuw doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Ahron de Leeuw
- December 2005
- Amsterdam, Netherlands
- I am:
- Male and Taken