Actually these travel photos are taken by me and by my wife Barbara. For years we were free as two birds. But now that we have two little daughters and we will be bound to our house for some time, it's flickr that let's me travel instead. And instead of taking pictures I take favs. Barbara however is hardly interested in what's going on on flickr.
So the postings lean for some time on older travels: I am awaiting the moment that we set out again, curious as our kids.
I believe photography and travelling have a lot in common.
One can raise the same questions about both.
Both being such a superficial immersion in a reality really unknown, I can not say whether travelling/photography in the end is merely escapistic
or gets you out of the ordinary ordinary into some self-imagined essential ordinary.
The latter at least calls the imagination, triggered by some things apparently shared all over the world yet new and freshly seen through the big eyes of a child.
But we know such imagination can dangerously set us astray. How can focussing on a reality of someone else unknown, rather than your own, bring you closer to some truth? Does running away not trick us into some cheap sense of (visual) beauty that's only beautyful because you are detached, making you a mistaken collector of fairy tale truths?
On the other hand, the forces of globalisation are too quick catching up, emancipating and transforming the material of human life to an abstract level that merely leaves us such mistaken fairy taile truths about that human life's antecedents anyway.
(For example consider the origin of religions. It's hard to imagine any new religion being born outside the realm of Internet.)
So I hang to these far away impressions and I desperately long to set out again - spending all this time on flickr in the mean time.
- Asia Street Photography (ASP) 302 photos, 574 members
- Murals and Mosaics 50,740 photos, 3,548 members
- Historical Places of Bangladesh 1,113 photos, 449 members
- ASIA - DECAY AND ABANDONMENT 2,612 photos, 258 members
- China Off the Beaten Path 12,191 photos, 481 members
- Mystic Travellers 3,233 photos, 173 members
- Children's book illustrators and authors 19,936 photos, 1,852 members
- Vintage Childrens Books 28,257 photos, 5,061 members
- 'COLORS OF INDIA' 4,006 photos, 1,619 members
- People of North East India 3,040 photos, 196 members
- Cemeteries around the world 20,248 photos, 485 members
- Antropologia Visual / Visual Anthropology 40,410 photos, 2,060 members
- Extreme Street Photography (ESP) 4,267 photos, 17,286 members
- Prints of Darkness 20,157 photos, 6,886 members
- Maroon culture 199 photos, 17 members
- silhouette 350,922 photos, 50,217 members
- National Geographic: Are You Good Enough? Post 1, Nominate 3 1,179,936 photos, 74,662 members
- Maroc - Morocco [tag "Morocco"] 65,712 photos, 3,150 members
- Morocco 41,904 photos, 5,153 members
- Suriname pictures 4,552 photos, 205 members
- LIFE IN INDIA 90,358 photos, 3,683 members
- The Pritzker Architecture Prize on Flickr (Post 1 - Award 4) 115,986 photos, 13,057 members
- SAARC Photographers 13,887 photos, 763 members
- Mosques and Minarets 46,245 photos, 6,418 members
- VINTAGE PHOTO SHARING 26,592 photos, 1,964 members
- Bangladeshi Photographers 154,685 photos, 4,951 members
- I am on WritingTravellers 633 photos, 156 members
- worldwidewandering - a travel atlas 461,657 photos, 6,625 members
- India - Miniature Paintings and Wall Paintings 581 photos, 163 members
- India Song 31,072 photos, 1,580 members
- People of the Great Rivers 5,594 photos, 1,000 members
- Cultural Boxes 82,741 photos, 2,761 members
- Israel 65,517 photos, 1,787 members
- Jewish World 25,595 photos, 2,461 members
- Cemeteries - Cementerios - Friedhoefe - Cimetières - Cimiteri 126,278 photos, 7,406 members
- Peoples of India 60,693 photos, 3,957 members
- Decisive Moment 67,717 photos, 26,989 members
- Amsterdam Canal Hunters 6,712 photos, 697 members
- Praise and curse of the city 92,332 photos, 2,963 members
- Global Photojournalism 429,621 photos, 23,192 members
- APF contest is Closed 0 photos, 1,373 members
- 50 MILLION MISSING: A CAMPAIGN TO END INDIA'S FEMALE GENDERCIDE 17,475 photos, 2,483 members
- Lonely Planet: Photo Challenges -- 'Rest' 120,436 photos, 15,099 members
- Architectural Details 23,149 photos, 539 members
- top20kafkaesk 26 photos, 9 members
- 100 years old 28,418 photos, 6,374 members
- buildings all over the world 1,337 photos, 78 members
- Bengal / Bangla 15,731 photos, 1,174 members
- Issyk Kul & Titicaca Friends 926 photos, 218 members
- TRAVEL Photography! 768,826 photos, 12,950 members
Ahron de Leeuw doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Ahron de Leeuw
- December 2005
- Amsterdam, Netherlands
- I am:
- Male and Taken