Been photographing, seriously, since January 1992.
While my intent is to capture moments in time that can not ever be again as a freelance documentary photography my focus and interests tend toward street and outdoor event photography such as festivals, parades and protest demonstrations.
Just as it is true that the street festivals that I attend and/or document seldom have any connection to my personal history and cultural heritage most of the protests that I document DO NOT coincide with my political persuasion nor spirituality.
Visit my protest photography archives at elvertbarnes.com/protestphotography
Ongoing themes include store windows, public art in public spaces, cemeteries, funerals, ride-by shooting, folks dancing and graffiti / street art ... just to name a few.
For an overview of my archives visit elvertbarnes.com/Overview
You will also find my work at Ipernity at www.ipernity.com/home/elvertbarnes
Payment for use of my images may be sent to Paypal at email@example.com
- 2016 Smithsonian Folklife Festival 542 photos, 45 members
- Cafes, Coffee Houses, Burger Joints, Food Carts. 57,862 photos, 3,148 members
- billboards 189,078 photos, 853 members
- Street Advertising 6,032 photos, 902 members
- Ballston 662 photos, 77 members
- 101 Best Sandwiches in New York 168 photos, 95 members
- Flickr Worldwide Photowalks - Macro 18,449 photos, 4,020 members
- U.S. Border Patrol (USBP) 916 photos, 238 members
- The Chipotle Pool on Flickr 492 photos, 197 members
- Walk The City 4,586 photos, 75 members
- Rosslyn, Virginia 138 photos, 14 members
- Sheriffs & Police Honor Guard 42 photos, 13 members
- Walkabouts 1,960 photos, 114 members
- New York State Police (NYSP) 1,918 photos, 99 members
- PG County Signs 32 photos, 7 members
- Pedestrian Bridges (5 Per Day) 3,243 photos, 650 members
- Baltimore Maryland 6,749 photos, 224 members
- Artscape - Baltimore 366 photos, 25 members
- Open Walls Baltimore 25 photos, 4 members
- The Baltimore Ghetto 417 photos, 39 members
- Schedule Boards 182 photos, 15 members
- TRACING LINES 298 photos, 30 members
- The Architecture of Energy 220 photos, 23 members
- The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey (PANYNJ) 1,127 photos, 51 members
- Inside the DC Metro 1,927 photos, 190 members
- Metro Transit Police Department (MTPD) 112 photos, 8 members
- We Make Reston 28 photos, 3 members
- Fairfax Alliance for Better Bicycling 301 photos, 29 members
- Ghost Bike 460 photos, 235 members
- Temporary Roadside Memorials 3,163 photos, 288 members
- Movie_Posters 6,431 photos, 1,336 members
- Neon Signs 108,509 photos, 8,499 members
- Homelessness In America 79 photos, 19 members
- Vintage Police Cars 4,788 photos, 601 members
- Pictures of 1996 26 photos, 6 members
- Everything food 233 photos, 268 members
- Image Repair and Restoration 1,423 photos, 297 members
- Chinese Restaurant Worldwide Documentation Project 23,778 photos, 1,081 members
- Made in the America 380 photos, 32 members
- Cervelo Bicycles 528 photos, 170 members
- Your Best Shot 2015 25,513 photos, 44,292 members
- United States Capitol Police 534 photos, 35 members
- Hyattsville Around Town 156 photos, 6 members
- DC Capital Pride Parade 2,003 photos, 81 members
- US Capitol 1,658 photos, 216 members
- US Park Police 391 photos, 11 members
- ACT-UP, Fight Back, Fight AIDS 416 photos, 100 members
- NYC Window Displays 3,683 photos, 101 members
- Out on the streets: Gay signs & notices 608 photos, 152 members
- protest signs 8,897 photos, 362 members
"If you wanted to know about life in Washington, DC over the last 10 years or so, there are few better insights anywhere than looking at the photographic posts of Elvert Barnes. He literally seems to be everywhere! I am continually awed by his dedication and the quality of his documentary photography. Simply fantastic!"
November 28th, 2013
RW ©™ says:
"I admire Elvert's street photography. His candid shots of everyday urban life in DC consistently intrigue me. I also can't thank him enough for the support he's given as I continue to grow as a photographer. He's definitely one of the good guys on Flickr."
August 4th, 2008
"ElvertBarnes has a way of capturing human moments.
When we look at his photos, we see what was previously thought to be the mudane activity of everyday life with renewed reverence and interest."
March 21st, 2008
"Elvert- Congratulations on fifty thousand plus photos on your site. Your flickr site would be an interesting study for one who studies current American culture. Your photos, whether capturing something significant or ordinary, are an interesting chronicle of the places you are at - NYC, DC, Florida, or wherever. The simple things in life can be most revealing, to the observant eye."
February 21st, 2008
"This also is my first testimonial, and maybe my only one. My partner and I had the good fortune to meet Elvert on a sunny Sunday afternoon on the steps of the Old Post Office in DC, A childhood friend from Houston was visiting and we were roaming around downtown DC. While soaking in the sights on Pennsylvania Avenue, Elvert came bounding toward us with camera in hand. He circled around Bruce and me and quickly asked if he could take our pictures for an essay on tattoes. Flattered, we agreed, and Elvert fired off 8 or so shots, and was off. As he strolled away, he said in passing that we could see the pictures on Flickr, if that was ok. We agreed. That night I made my first visit to Flickr and was far more intrigued by the body of Elvert's work than by the honor of being one of his subjects.
I quickly got up to speed on this man and grasped who he was -- everyman's chronicler of street life in the nation's capitol. One can easily see how poignantly he paints the colorful human life of DC. He has an uncanny ability to capture that which is both strikingly common and at the same time, unique, about the pulse of L'Enfant's and Washington's city.
Elvert showed me how to love DC in ways I had not over my 15 years as a resident. And after relocating to Seattle, his pictures remain my most treasured way to recall the glory of DC. Thanks, Elvert!"
October 3rd, 2006
"I never immeadiately write a testimonial aboutanyone.This is the first time, but I am so awed by this artist....
Well I can say how fortunate I am to come across Elvert Barnes website here at flickr.com. I have been gazing thorugh his sets and he is somehow for me, a Pop artist 21st century, of the ordinary day by day of life and of the world... I love this man's prolific collections.So impressive. Inspires me to get back onto the scene of documentary as art impression. There is so much to see here that it will take me several weeks to really study and absorb and feel his works and by then a whole new slew of imagery will have been acquired..
I am wondering if the world can really see the genius of Alvert and his messages? He is one of my favourites here. Thank you Alvert for putting me on your contact list......."
July 23rd, 2006
John Fulton says:
"I love the way Elvert captures people doing the ordinary. I've always enjoyed "people watching" and I feel like I am doing that from afar when checking out his latest postings. I have been to Dupont Circle before in person, but it feels like a regular haunt of mine via Elvert's lens."
May 18th, 2006
sam j rollo says:
"Elvert is most likely the finest producers of "street documentary" working on Flickr today. he is surely one of the more proficient and ever diligent in his pursuit of the goings on about WDC.
thanks for some very interesting and entertaining insights into the nations' capitol."
March 16th, 2006
Ron Hard C says:
"Besides his very striking photography, Elvert is a very kind and generous man who goes out of his way for virtual strangers. He spent time making me a DVD which involved material that was very timely and of great personal importance to him and to his own life. This is a true gentleman and I'm lucky that he has shared himself with me."
February 19th, 2006
"this guy is one of the most dedicated photographers uploading on flicker. He has an amazing collection of every subject of the sun. Highly recommended.
January 2nd, 2006
Thzami Gamour Rinpoche says:
""We proudly announce that all your projects are protected by us with the allowance of HH the 14th. Dalai Lama. You can always count on the support of ours in a metaphysical, psyhical and physical way.
Welcome on the board...
Ohm Mani Pad Me Hum
Ohm Mani Pad Me Hum
Ohm Mani Pad Me Hum
1st. Kashgapa Thzami Gamour Rinpoche
17th. Karmapa Trinlay Thaye Dorje"
August 22nd, 2005
- Elvert Barnes
- April 2005
- Lexington Park, MD
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Elvert Barnes Projections