This is a love letter to the city of broad shoulders, broads, and pork shoulders. She's had plastic surgery, but the nose is still broken.
I like bricks, and, Jack, she's a brick house. She's a skirt steak, free fries with a shake. She's got the meat and the motion. She's got a Jiffy Lube and a notion . She's got a Great Lake, not an ocean.
sleeping in tents --
that's my bottle.
pennies in jars
for your thoughts.
nothing to do but frown,
rainy days and mundanes
always get me down.
don't sit there like a lump,
acting like a chump.
went out to lunch
with a sucker punch.
(He'd had a hunch
it was a supper club.)
Down at the bar and grill,
at the far end away from the chill,
sits a girl who's about to spill
her guts from too much coffee and swill.
A 5 o'clock shadow falls over a stumble bum corner. Pull down the shades and call the coroner.
A shave and a shine
above a place where you used to dine.
Come back to the five and dime,
Tom, at the counter where time waits.
Hubcaps and cheap sox,
raindogs sleeping in a box,
"cheat you fair" --
what do you care?
Shut the door and check the locks.
she plays the squeeze box,
cold as an icebox,
while their eyes lock
in a street shot.
Found while wandering the streets and back alleys of Chicago/ collecting seemingly random thoughts and observations/ compiling collages and soundtracks from the collective unconscious/ deconstructing the landscape of symbols and meaning/ colliding with coincidence/ running at the mouth/ consuming and puking beauty... "Truth" is a tentative and tenacious thing. As the neon invitation to the hotel announced, "Transients Welcomed." The revolution WILL BE commodified....
Here I was, hoping to franchise a chain of typewriter/8-track/vcr repair shops. Guess I'll just go back to developing that chain of buggy whip boutiques...
Like dollar stores and the poor,
we'll always have Cleveland.
Cityscapes and pretty scrapes,
drinking of the finest grapes.
Busted noses and rubber hoses,
busted dreams and unkept roses.
Forgotten faces, empty spaces,
lipstick traces on pillowcases.
Foreclosures and abandonments,
breaking all the Ten Commandments.
On the boulevard of broken dreams
in space no one can hear your screams.
Turn out the lights, turn off the beams --
everything's not what it seems.
Let's get lost
Outta business, baby.
Gone, daddy, gone.
Out of time, out of space,
no time left, no sense of place.
Erase your face.
End of the race.
Negativeland, negative space.
"Hey, don't dis the Pei -- he "rocks" (as in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.) And of course, he who lives in glass pyramids shouldn't throw rocks -- he should employ robots to wash his windows.
Pulling on a past thread on the resurgence of the mix-tape, dig this local community project of sharing mixes via discreet public spaces.
"leaving found audio, mix tapes, loops, sound projects and other recordings in... an alienating environment that is often tuned out by the senses"
For your own copy of "Ladies Room / I Dig Chicks", visit Pitney Ct. (in Bridgeport) on the southwest corner of Archer Ave. Side A kicks off with The Monkees riffing on the Rolling Stones with "Valerie", followed by Bobby Sherman with another tiger beat, "Julie, Do Ya Love Me?" The flipside opens with Sammy Davis, Jr. covering "There is Nothing Like a Dame" from South Pacific. The sole copy of this original mix can be found inside a hole in the stone & brick wall along the west side of Pitney Ct., approximately 7' south of the corner.
And speaking of stardust, what of the connections between Dennis Wilson, Charles Manson, Squeaky Froome, Gerald Ford, Chevy Chase, Henry Ford, and the Ford Theatre??! Don’t even get me started about the connections between Cousteau, Serling, Nimoy, and John & Bob Denver!
Photos of find myself a city (1001 Afternoons in Chicago) (3)
find myself a city (1001 Afternoons in Chicago)'s favorite photos from other Flickr members (4,628)
- The genius or unemployed alley prowling collective (guapc) 1,711 photos, 101 members
- Urban Desolation 12,743 photos, 543 members
- urban pathos 4,449 photos, 152 members
- Chicago 39,498 photos, 1,467 members
- Washington DC/Metro Area 157,689 photos, 8,471 members
- Washington DC Metro Area Sights 116,344 photos, 5,382 members
- Almost Heaven, West Virginia 14,452 photos, 517 members
- CurbedChgo 13,801 photos, 253 members
- US Route 6 576 photos, 83 members
- Meet me at the Fair 24,349 photos, 2,679 members
- Dating is boring 817 photos, 98 members
- 7x7 Magazine - SF Neighborhoods - Get Published! 21,309 photos, 718 members
- sfweekly 28,401 photos, 273 members
- Monterey and Carmel 2,370 photos, 137 members
- Monterey Peninsula 12,307 photos, 1,006 members
- US Highway 101 2,904 photos, 411 members
- The Tender 3,372 photos, 143 members
- The Social Landscape 29,347 photos, 801 members
- Cream City:: Milwaukee, Wisconsin 39,700 photos, 2,005 members
- Croatia 42,508 photos, 5,535 members
- MONTENEGRO TRAVEL 4,144 photos, 292 members
- Southeastern Europe 5,607 photos, 155 members
- Ionian Islands, Greece 6,844 photos, 528 members
- kerkyra corfu 3,655 photos, 222 members
- Roma - Rome 90,998 photos, 8,910 members
- Rome - The Eternal City 55,892 photos, 3,476 members
- Tuscany / Toscana 49,711 photos, 4,082 members
- Venezia - Venice 103,828 photos, 7,956 members
- bella italia!! 67,369 photos, 2,032 members
- Venice Street Photography 527 photos, 406 members
- Venice 115,519 photos, 10,183 members
- Venice (Venezia) 12,753 photos, 2,122 members
- The Adriatic / Jadran 11,206 photos, 709 members
- Mediterranean 24,699 photos, 925 members
- The beautiful Mediterranean 85,722 photos, 4,215 members
- Mediterranean Islands - Νησιά της Μεσογείου 40,956 photos, 1,640 members
- The Greek Islands 36,892 photos, 3,183 members
- Greece and the Greek Islands 20,428 photos, 684 members
- Sicily 54,831 photos, 3,267 members
- Taormina, Etna and All Sicily 51,887 photos, 2,005 members
- Livorno 20,177 photos, 695 members
- Italy . 73,563 photos, 2,715 members
- Nice Côte d'Azur 3,980 photos, 269 members
- French street photography 42,613 photos, 1,091 members
- Riviera, French 6,095 photos, 356 members
- Urban sites : under demolition / demolished 673 photos, 45 members
- The Living City 6,336 photos, 159 members
- New Orleans 66,429 photos, 3,590 members
- Pictures of the French Quarter 1,389 photos, 132 members
- French Quarter (New Orleans) 6,712 photos, 334 members
find myself a city (1001 Afternoons in Chicago) doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- curtis locke
- May 2005
- La Grange
- chic-a-go-go, United States of Amnesia
- A job? What's that?