This is a love letter to the city of broad shoulders, broads, and pork shoulders. She's had plastic surgery, but the nose is still broken.
I like bricks, and, Jack, she's a brick house. She's a skirt steak, free fries with a shake. She's got the meat and the motion. She's got a Jiffy Lube and a notion . She's got a Great Lake, not an ocean.
sleeping in tents --
that's my bottle.
pennies in jars
for your thoughts.
nothing to do but frown,
rainy days and mundanes
always get me down.
don't sit there like a lump,
acting like a chump.
went out to lunch
with a sucker punch.
(He'd had a hunch
it was a supper club.)
Down at the bar and grill,
at the far end away from the chill,
sits a girl who's about to spill
her guts from too much coffee and swill.
A 5 o'clock shadow falls over a stumble bum corner. Pull down the shades and call the coroner.
A shave and a shine
above a place where you used to dine.
Come back to the five and dime,
Tom, at the counter where time waits.
Hubcaps and cheap sox,
raindogs sleeping in a box,
"cheat you fair" --
what do you care?
Shut the door and check the locks.
she plays the squeeze box,
cold as an icebox,
while their eyes lock
in a street shot.
Found while wandering the streets and back alleys of Chicago/ collecting seemingly random thoughts and observations/ compiling collages and soundtracks from the collective unconscious/ deconstructing the landscape of symbols and meaning/ colliding with coincidence/ running at the mouth/ consuming and puking beauty... "Truth" is a tentative and tenacious thing. As the neon invitation to the hotel announced, "Transients Welcomed." The revolution WILL BE commodified....
Here I was, hoping to franchise a chain of typewriter/8-track/vcr repair shops. Guess I'll just go back to developing that chain of buggy whip boutiques...
Like dollar stores and the poor,
we'll always have Cleveland.
Cityscapes and pretty scrapes,
drinking of the finest grapes.
Busted noses and rubber hoses,
busted dreams and unkept roses.
Forgotten faces, empty spaces,
lipstick traces on pillowcases.
Foreclosures and abandonments,
breaking all the Ten Commandments.
On the boulevard of broken dreams
in space no one can hear your screams.
Turn out the lights, turn off the beams --
everything's not what it seems.
Let's get lost
Outta business, baby.
Gone, daddy, gone.
Out of time, out of space,
no time left, no sense of place.
Erase your face.
End of the race.
Negativeland, negative space.
"Hey, don't dis the Pei -- he "rocks" (as in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.) And of course, he who lives in glass pyramids shouldn't throw rocks -- he should employ robots to wash his windows.
Pulling on a past thread on the resurgence of the mix-tape, dig this local community project of sharing mixes via discreet public spaces.
"leaving found audio, mix tapes, loops, sound projects and other recordings in... an alienating environment that is often tuned out by the senses"
For your own copy of "Ladies Room / I Dig Chicks", visit Pitney Ct. (in Bridgeport) on the southwest corner of Archer Ave. Side A kicks off with The Monkees riffing on the Rolling Stones with "Valerie", followed by Bobby Sherman with another tiger beat, "Julie, Do Ya Love Me?" The flipside opens with Sammy Davis, Jr. covering "There is Nothing Like a Dame" from South Pacific. The sole copy of this original mix can be found inside a hole in the stone & brick wall along the west side of Pitney Ct., approximately 7' south of the corner.
And speaking of stardust, what of the connections between Dennis Wilson, Charles Manson, Squeaky Froome, Gerald Ford, Chevy Chase, Henry Ford, and the Ford Theatre??! Don’t even get me started about the connections between Cousteau, Serling, Nimoy, and John & Bob Denver!
Photos of find myself a city (1001 Afternoons in Chicago) (3)
find myself a city (1001 Afternoons in Chicago)'s favorite photos from other Flickr members (5,145)
- The genius or unemployed alley prowling collective (guapc) 1,881 photos, 104 members
- Urban Desolation 21,093 photos, 716 members
- urban pathos 9,562 photos, 253 members
- Chicago 40,423 photos, 1,707 members
- Washington DC/Metro Area 167,103 photos, 8,665 members
- Washington, DC Metro Area Sights 124,720 photos, 5,639 members
- Almost Heaven, West Virginia 17,054 photos, 579 members
- US Route 6 698 photos, 96 members
- Meet me at the Fair 25,795 photos, 2,823 members
- Dating is boring 906 photos, 104 members
- 7x7 Magazine - SF Neighborhoods - Get Published! 22,642 photos, 730 members
- sfweekly 31,237 photos, 283 members
- Monterey and Carmel 2,846 photos, 173 members
- Monterey Peninsula 12,801 photos, 1,062 members
- US Highway 101 3,273 photos, 434 members
- The Tender 3,477 photos, 144 members
- The Social Landscape 29,638 photos, 906 members
- Croatia 51,882 photos, 6,175 members
- MONTENEGRO TRAVEL 5,351 photos, 399 members
- Southeastern Europe 7,019 photos, 250 members
- Ionian Islands, Greece 8,432 photos, 632 members
- kerkyra corfu 3,646 photos, 256 members
- Roma - Rome 97,214 photos, 9,354 members
- Rome - The Eternal City 69,972 photos, 4,122 members
- Tuscany / Toscana 57,624 photos, 4,559 members
- Venezia - Venice 116,803 photos, 8,702 members
- bella italia!! 88,436 photos, 2,910 members
- Venice Street Photography 515 photos, 466 members
- Venice 128,510 photos, 11,150 members
- Venice (Venezia) 15,494 photos, 2,934 members
- The Adriatic / Jadran 15,218 photos, 792 members
- Mediterranean 28,102 photos, 995 members
- The beautiful Mediterranean 102,052 photos, 4,774 members
- Mediterranean Islands - Νησιά της Μεσογείου 45,690 photos, 1,826 members
- The Greek Islands 44,716 photos, 3,691 members
- Greece and the Greek Islands 24,697 photos, 785 members
- Sicily 64,118 photos, 3,616 members
- Taormina, Etna and All Sicily 58,580 photos, 2,142 members
- Livorno 21,094 photos, 717 members
- Italy . 95,704 photos, 3,629 members
- Nice Côte d'Azur 4,621 photos, 290 members
- French street photography 58,967 photos, 1,345 members
- Riviera, French 7,376 photos, 404 members
- Urban sites : under demolition / demolished 1,149 photos, 46 members
- The Living City 6,830 photos, 182 members
- New Orleans 74,897 photos, 3,756 members
- Pictures of the French Quarter 1,458 photos, 146 members
- French Quarter (New Orleans) 7,247 photos, 364 members
- The Spirit of New Orleans 14,301 photos, 563 members
- New Orleans Photography 73,248 photos, 2,883 members
find myself a city (1001 Afternoons in Chicago) doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- curtis locke
- May 2005
- La Grange
- chic-a-go-go, United States of Amnesia
- A job? What's that?