This is a love letter to the city of broad shoulders, broads, and pork shoulders. She's had plastic surgery, but the nose is still broken.
I like bricks, and, Jack, she's a brick house. She's a skirt steak, free fries with a shake. She's got the meat and the motion. She's got a Jiffy Lube and a notion . She's got a Great Lake, not an ocean.
sleeping in tents --
that's my bottle.
pennies in jars
for your thoughts.
nothing to do but frown,
rainy days and mundanes
always get me down.
don't sit there like a lump,
acting like a chump.
went out to lunch
with a sucker punch.
(He'd had a hunch
it was a supper club.)
Down at the bar and grill,
at the far end away from the chill,
sits a girl who's about to spill
her guts from too much coffee and swill.
A 5 o'clock shadow falls over a stumble bum corner. Pull down the shades and call the coroner.
A shave and a shine
above a place where you used to dine.
Come back to the five and dime,
Tom, at the counter where time waits.
Hubcaps and cheap sox,
raindogs sleeping in a box,
"cheat you fair" --
what do you care?
Shut the door and check the locks.
she plays the squeeze box,
cold as an icebox,
while their eyes lock
in a street shot.
Found while wandering the streets and back alleys of Chicago/ collecting seemingly random thoughts and observations/ compiling collages and soundtracks from the collective unconscious/ deconstructing the landscape of symbols and meaning/ colliding with coincidence/ running at the mouth/ consuming and puking beauty... "Truth" is a tentative and tenacious thing. As the neon invitation to the hotel announced, "Transients Welcomed." The revolution WILL BE commodified....
Here I was, hoping to franchise a chain of typewriter/8-track/vcr repair shops. Guess I'll just go back to developing that chain of buggy whip boutiques...
Like dollar stores and the poor,
we'll always have Cleveland.
Cityscapes and pretty scrapes,
drinking of the finest grapes.
Busted noses and rubber hoses,
busted dreams and unkept roses.
Forgotten faces, empty spaces,
lipstick traces on pillowcases.
Foreclosures and abandonments,
breaking all the Ten Commandments.
On the boulevard of broken dreams
in space no one can hear your screams.
Turn out the lights, turn off the beams --
everything's not what it seems.
Let's get lost
Outta business, baby.
Gone, daddy, gone.
Out of time, out of space,
no time left, no sense of place.
Erase your face.
End of the race.
Negativeland, negative space.
"Hey, don't dis the Pei -- he "rocks" (as in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.) And of course, he who lives in glass pyramids shouldn't throw rocks -- he should employ robots to wash his windows.
Pulling on a past thread on the resurgence of the mix-tape, dig this local community project of sharing mixes via discreet public spaces.
"leaving found audio, mix tapes, loops, sound projects and other recordings in... an alienating environment that is often tuned out by the senses"
For your own copy of "Ladies Room / I Dig Chicks", visit Pitney Ct. (in Bridgeport) on the southwest corner of Archer Ave. Side A kicks off with The Monkees riffing on the Rolling Stones with "Valerie", followed by Bobby Sherman with another tiger beat, "Julie, Do Ya Love Me?" The flipside opens with Sammy Davis, Jr. covering "There is Nothing Like a Dame" from South Pacific. The sole copy of this original mix can be found inside a hole in the stone & brick wall along the west side of Pitney Ct., approximately 7' south of the corner.
And speaking of stardust, what of the connections between Dennis Wilson, Charles Manson, Squeaky Froome, Gerald Ford, Chevy Chase, Henry Ford, and the Ford Theatre??! Don’t even get me started about the connections between Cousteau, Serling, Nimoy, and John & Bob Denver!
Photos of find myself a city (1001 Afternoons in Chicago) (3)
find myself a city (1001 Afternoons in Chicago)'s favorite photos from other Flickr members (4,878)
- The genius or unemployed alley prowling collective (guapc) 1,785 photos, 100 members
- Urban Desolation 16,527 photos, 621 members
- urban pathos 6,846 photos, 203 members
- Chicago 39,430 photos, 1,598 members
- Washington DC/Metro Area 162,462 photos, 8,572 members
- Washington DC Metro Area Sights 120,091 photos, 5,503 members
- Almost Heaven, West Virginia 15,765 photos, 548 members
- CurbedChgo 15,619 photos, 267 members
- US Route 6 615 photos, 89 members
- Meet me at the Fair 25,144 photos, 2,766 members
- Dating is boring 862 photos, 102 members
- 7x7 Magazine - SF Neighborhoods - Get Published! 21,840 photos, 725 members
- sfweekly 29,747 photos, 280 members
- Monterey and Carmel 2,645 photos, 155 members
- Monterey Peninsula 12,149 photos, 1,029 members
- US Highway 101 3,034 photos, 418 members
- The Tender 3,405 photos, 143 members
- The Social Landscape 29,738 photos, 860 members
- Cream City:: Milwaukee, Wisconsin 40,703 photos, 2,041 members
- Croatia 46,794 photos, 5,894 members
- MONTENEGRO TRAVEL 4,783 photos, 342 members
- Southeastern Europe 6,350 photos, 200 members
- Ionian Islands, Greece 7,749 photos, 579 members
- kerkyra corfu 3,317 photos, 238 members
- Roma - Rome 93,854 photos, 9,114 members
- Rome - The Eternal City 63,224 photos, 3,793 members
- Tuscany / Toscana 53,434 photos, 4,339 members
- Venezia - Venice 109,592 photos, 8,325 members
- bella italia!! 76,129 photos, 2,451 members
- Venice Street Photography 526 photos, 434 members
- Venice 121,076 photos, 10,652 members
- Venice (Venezia) 13,837 photos, 2,481 members
- The Adriatic / Jadran 12,800 photos, 756 members
- Mediterranean 25,792 photos, 957 members
- The beautiful Mediterranean 92,792 photos, 4,479 members
- Mediterranean Islands - Νησιά της Μεσογείου 43,390 photos, 1,723 members
- The Greek Islands 40,961 photos, 3,452 members
- Greece and the Greek Islands 22,600 photos, 745 members
- Sicily 58,626 photos, 3,432 members
- Taormina, Etna and All Sicily 56,216 photos, 2,072 members
- Livorno 20,634 photos, 706 members
- Italy . 83,290 photos, 3,146 members
- Nice Côte d'Azur 4,219 photos, 281 members
- French street photography 50,561 photos, 1,255 members
- Riviera, French 6,551 photos, 375 members
- Urban sites : under demolition / demolished 862 photos, 47 members
- The Living City 5,920 photos, 171 members
- New Orleans 70,326 photos, 3,656 members
- Pictures of the French Quarter 1,443 photos, 144 members
- French Quarter (New Orleans) 6,982 photos, 349 members
find myself a city (1001 Afternoons in Chicago) doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- curtis locke
- May 2005
- La Grange
- chic-a-go-go, United States of Amnesia
- A job? What's that?