This is a love letter to the city of broad shoulders, broads, and pork shoulders. She's had plastic surgery, but the nose is still broken.
I like bricks, and, Jack, she's a brick house. She's a skirt steak, free fries with a shake. She's got the meat and the motion. She's got a Jiffy Lube and a notion . She's got a Great Lake, not an ocean.
sleeping in tents --
that's my bottle.
pennies in jars
for your thoughts.
nothing to do but frown,
rainy days and mundanes
always get me down.
don't sit there like a lump,
acting like a chump.
went out to lunch
with a sucker punch.
(He'd had a hunch
it was a supper club.)
Down at the bar and grill,
at the far end away from the chill,
sits a girl who's about to spill
her guts from too much coffee and swill.
A 5 o'clock shadow falls over a stumble bum corner. Pull down the shades and call the coroner.
A shave and a shine
above a place where you used to dine.
Come back to the five and dime,
Tom, at the counter where time waits.
Hubcaps and cheap sox,
raindogs sleeping in a box,
"cheat you fair" --
what do you care?
Shut the door and check the locks.
she plays the squeeze box,
cold as an icebox,
while their eyes lock
in a street shot.
Found while wandering the streets and back alleys of Chicago/ collecting seemingly random thoughts and observations/ compiling collages and soundtracks from the collective unconscious/ deconstructing the landscape of symbols and meaning/ colliding with coincidence/ running at the mouth/ consuming and puking beauty... "Truth" is a tentative and tenacious thing. As the neon invitation to the hotel announced, "Transients Welcomed." The revolution WILL BE commodified....
Here I was, hoping to franchise a chain of typewriter/8-track/vcr repair shops. Guess I'll just go back to developing that chain of buggy whip boutiques...
Like dollar stores and the poor,
we'll always have Cleveland.
Cityscapes and pretty scrapes,
drinking of the finest grapes.
Busted noses and rubber hoses,
busted dreams and unkept roses.
Forgotten faces, empty spaces,
lipstick traces on pillowcases.
Foreclosures and abandonments,
breaking all the Ten Commandments.
On the boulevard of broken dreams
in space no one can hear your screams.
Turn out the lights, turn off the beams --
everything's not what it seems.
Let's get lost
Outta business, baby.
Gone, daddy, gone.
Out of time, out of space,
no time left, no sense of place.
Erase your face.
End of the race.
Negativeland, negative space.
"Hey, don't dis the Pei -- he "rocks" (as in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.) And of course, he who lives in glass pyramids shouldn't throw rocks -- he should employ robots to wash his windows.
Pulling on a past thread on the resurgence of the mix-tape, dig this local community project of sharing mixes via discreet public spaces.
"leaving found audio, mix tapes, loops, sound projects and other recordings in... an alienating environment that is often tuned out by the senses"
For your own copy of "Ladies Room / I Dig Chicks", visit Pitney Ct. (in Bridgeport) on the southwest corner of Archer Ave. Side A kicks off with The Monkees riffing on the Rolling Stones with "Valerie", followed by Bobby Sherman with another tiger beat, "Julie, Do Ya Love Me?" The flipside opens with Sammy Davis, Jr. covering "There is Nothing Like a Dame" from South Pacific. The sole copy of this original mix can be found inside a hole in the stone & brick wall along the west side of Pitney Ct., approximately 7' south of the corner.
And speaking of stardust, what of the connections between Dennis Wilson, Charles Manson, Squeaky Froome, Gerald Ford, Chevy Chase, Henry Ford, and the Ford Theatre??! Don’t even get me started about the connections between Cousteau, Serling, Nimoy, and John & Bob Denver!
Photos of find myself a city (1001 Afternoons in Chicago) (3)
find myself a city (1001 Afternoons in Chicago)'s favorite photos from other Flickr members (4,435)
- Chicago 38,594 photos, 1,448 members
- Washington DC/Metro Area 155,674 photos, 8,420 members
- Washington DC Metro Area Sights 114,778 photos, 5,327 members
- Almost Heaven, West Virginia 14,161 photos, 514 members
- CurbedChgo 13,007 photos, 241 members
- US Route 6 564 photos, 82 members
- Meet me at the Fair 24,281 photos, 2,673 members
- Dating is boring 819 photos, 99 members
- 7x7 Magazine - SF Neighborhoods - Get Published! 20,805 photos, 714 members
- sfweekly 27,812 photos, 275 members
- Monterey and Carmel 2,301 photos, 135 members
- Monterey Peninsula 12,180 photos, 1,002 members
- US Highway 101 2,867 photos, 405 members
- The Tender 3,361 photos, 143 members
- The Social Landscape 29,503 photos, 788 members
- Cream City:: Milwaukee, Wisconsin 39,428 photos, 1,999 members
- Croatia 41,999 photos, 5,480 members
- MONTENEGRO TRAVEL 4,095 photos, 280 members
- Southeastern Europe 5,390 photos, 150 members
- Ionian Islands, Greece 6,724 photos, 519 members
- kerkyra corfu 3,656 photos, 222 members
- Roma - Rome 90,270 photos, 8,875 members
- Rome - The Eternal City 54,163 photos, 3,391 members
- Tuscany / Toscana 48,835 photos, 4,036 members
- Venezia - Venice 102,157 photos, 7,861 members
- bella italia!! 65,442 photos, 1,968 members
- Venice Street Photography 527 photos, 387 members
- Venice 113,403 photos, 10,030 members
- Venice (Venezia) 11,804 photos, 2,039 members
- The Adriatic / Jadran 10,918 photos, 695 members
- Mediterranean 24,488 photos, 918 members
- The beautiful Mediterranean 84,409 photos, 4,158 members
- Mediterranean Islands - Νησιά της Μεσογείου 40,720 photos, 1,629 members
- The Greek Islands 36,385 photos, 3,151 members
- Greece and the Greek Islands 19,985 photos, 677 members
- Sicily 53,761 photos, 3,227 members
- Taormina, Etna and All Sicily 50,300 photos, 1,988 members
- Livorno 20,062 photos, 693 members
- Italy . 71,131 photos, 2,638 members
- Nice Côte d'Azur 3,928 photos, 263 members
- French street photography 40,477 photos, 1,064 members
- Riviera, French 5,947 photos, 351 members
- Urban sites : under demolition / demolished 631 photos, 45 members
- The Living City 6,191 photos, 157 members
- New Orleans 65,479 photos, 3,567 members
- Pictures of the French Quarter 1,405 photos, 132 members
- French Quarter (New Orleans) 6,583 photos, 329 members
- The Spirit of New Orleans 11,600 photos, 515 members
- New Orleans Photography 57,489 photos, 2,589 members
- Deadpan 24,475 photos, 635 members
find myself a city (1001 Afternoons in Chicago) doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- curtis locke
- May 2005
- La Grange
- chic-a-go-go, United States of Amnesia
- A job? What's that?