"Art is whatever makes you proud to be human."
I’m 36, male, married and from Germany.
create your own visited countries map
or vertaling Duits Nederlands
I’m head of the Göttinger Digitization Centre, somewhat popular for our online version of the Gutenberg Bible.
One can call me a late bloomer concerning photography. I did lots of other artsy stuff (music, webdesign and filmmaking) before, but my first noticeable pictures date from 1999. I joined Flickr in spring 2005, my colleague netomer said this would be the place to be.
I wasn’t impressed at all.
In July I stumbled into deleteme!, and things changed. I loved the combination of contest, excellence, nastiness and - humor. Good old days, I spent hours laughing about KKs comments. Nowadays – well.
What I do like:
All kind of experiments and unusual styles. IMHO it’s more interesting to try something uncommon even if it does not work out than to shoot the 500. “landscape at dawn” pic.
Heavy PS-editing. I’m addicted to Photoshop and always keen to find interesting new effects. Especially to simulate “vintage analog” stuff like my quite complex Lithprint filters. Sad thing: I’m the only one who likes them, but I can live with that.
Iconographic style: most of my pics are concentrated on one object, subject, contrast, theme.
All kinds of competition. No pain – no gain, no guts – no glory.
What I don’t like:
People (especially at deleteme!) who shout OVEREXPOSED! BLOWN OUT! UNDEREXPOSED! 1/3 RULE! when it’s quite obvious that the specific effect was nothing but intended. They may say “I do not like your approach” but anything like “go play by the rules” offends my intellect.
Realism freaks. Photography is a snapshot per definition, just a small section of the surrounding reality. Two dimensions – depth and time - are always missing. So any debate reading “keep the realism” is pointless. At times e.g. I love pop-art, and I show it.
- Fujifilm X100F 1,421 photos, 157 members
- iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus Photos 43,855 photos, 3,276 members
- iPhone Camera Shots 670,361 photos, 24,874 members
- Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden 605 photos, 90 members
- Fuji X100 & X100s Germany 11,852 photos, 548 members
- Abstract Photos 122,938 photos, 19,242 members
- Fuji x100s 141,606 photos, 7,440 members
- Holocaust Mahnmal Berlin 1,637 photos, 690 members
- PORTUGAL UNLIMITED / Portugal Sem Limites 156,367 photos, 4,704 members
- re:publica 2011 390 photos, 40 members
- HIPSTER 4,984 photos, 639 members
- Mac Addicts 33,243 photos, 7,863 members
- Say NO to the new Flickr logo 43 photos, 180 members
- Erfurt/Thüringen 8,781 photos, 415 members
- Polarize & LOFI 33,349 photos, 5,533 members
- #3/...flickrjob's third 5,738 photos, 228 members
- Ministract 37,683 photos, 1,127 members
- all but one 12,915 photos, 1,523 members
- The JURORS / Different Personalities, Different Views (Closed) 6,136 photos, 3,620 members
- Bremen 20,909 photos, 1,303 members
- Getty Images and the Flickr Collection (closed) 140,771 photos, 3,522 members
- Getty Images on Flickr 0 photos, 16,950 members
- Caspar David Friedrich Inspiration 73 photos, 52 members
- Barcelona 256,294 photos, 13,714 members
- Before or After (not now) 447 photos, 120 members
- Better Than Good - Level 1 (p1/a3) 615,289 photos, 47,040 members
- LGBT 29,047 photos, 3,394 members
- GAY DAY 9,273 photos, 876 members
- Favorites: 200 23,529 photos, 3,432 members
- 200+ Faves 1-2-3 (Post one,Comment and Fave two) 28,355 photos, 2,688 members
- Color Street Photography [Photos of People Only] 12,033 photos, 6,241 members
- HCSP (Hardcore Street Photography) 3,135 photos, 78,365 members
- Quality Portrait Photography 51,226 photos, 6,797 members
- Cuba - todo a lo Cubano 91,684 photos, 4,456 members
- Havana / La Habana 34,232 photos, 2,002 members
- We say NO to VIDEOS on FLICKR 855 photos, 22,296 members
- Arche 14 photos, 10 members
- LöschMich! Wie ein Phoenix aus der Asche! 9 photos, 96 members
- Zoo 256,864 photos, 11,950 members
- GRAFFITI NATION 652,641 photos, 7,533 members
- Matt Kloskowski Presets Group 2,063 photos, 1,024 members
- ALMOST !! 209 photos, 66 members
- Cultural Boxes 91,119 photos, 2,788 members
- concrete beauty 23,397 photos, 2,343 members
- The Duel Group (pool reserved for duel winners) 2,809 photos, 2,119 members
- Art Of Seeing 345 photos, 1,072 members
- Favorites: 150 22,190 photos, 2,817 members
- Passionately Pink for the Cure 65,430 photos, 12,987 members
- Cologne 36,245 photos, 2,525 members
- The Pritzker Architecture Prize on Flickr (Post 1 - Award 2) 105,546 photos, 11,613 members
"creative in every direction!
every uploaded shot shows great eye for composition, colors and emotion. it's emotion, what let some of his shots stand out. they transport feelings, emotions and invite to interpret.
one shot at a time. it's not quantity, it's quality that dominates his stream. there is the tension, that the next one will be different and/or better or just another "beauty" to look at.
not many photographers are that skilled in using photoshop as a tool in the chain of producing an image. take his lith print style - it's not about fixin' something, it's about making someting new - somthing unique.
i'm pretty sure, that i will stay what i'm right now - a allegiant visitor of his work.
even deleteme! likes him ;-)"
November 20th, 2005
- Ralf Stockmann
- July 2005
- New York, United States
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Ralf Stockmann Photography