"Art is whatever makes you proud to be human."
I’m 36, male, married and from Germany.
create your own visited countries map
or vertaling Duits Nederlands
I’m head of the Göttinger Digitization Centre, somewhat popular for our online version of the Gutenberg Bible.
One can call me a late bloomer concerning photography. I did lots of other artsy stuff (music, webdesign and filmmaking) before, but my first noticeable pictures date from 1999. I joined Flickr in spring 2005, my colleague netomer said this would be the place to be.
I wasn’t impressed at all.
In July I stumbled into deleteme!, and things changed. I loved the combination of contest, excellence, nastiness and - humor. Good old days, I spent hours laughing about KKs comments. Nowadays – well.
What I do like:
All kind of experiments and unusual styles. IMHO it’s more interesting to try something uncommon even if it does not work out than to shoot the 500. “landscape at dawn” pic.
Heavy PS-editing. I’m addicted to Photoshop and always keen to find interesting new effects. Especially to simulate “vintage analog” stuff like my quite complex Lithprint filters. Sad thing: I’m the only one who likes them, but I can live with that.
Iconographic style: most of my pics are concentrated on one object, subject, contrast, theme.
All kinds of competition. No pain – no gain, no guts – no glory.
What I don’t like:
People (especially at deleteme!) who shout OVEREXPOSED! BLOWN OUT! UNDEREXPOSED! 1/3 RULE! when it’s quite obvious that the specific effect was nothing but intended. They may say “I do not like your approach” but anything like “go play by the rules” offends my intellect.
Realism freaks. Photography is a snapshot per definition, just a small section of the surrounding reality. Two dimensions – depth and time - are always missing. So any debate reading “keep the realism” is pointless. At times e.g. I love pop-art, and I show it.
- Fujifilm X100F 3,573 photos, 254 members
- iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus Photos 50,621 photos, 3,401 members
- iPhone Camera Shots 699,641 photos, 25,598 members
- Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden 613 photos, 92 members
- Fuji X100 & X100s Germany 12,295 photos, 568 members
- Abstract Photos 123,839 photos, 19,290 members
- Fuji x100s 144,986 photos, 7,432 members
- Holocaust Mahnmal Berlin 1,634 photos, 693 members
- PORTUGAL UNLIMITED / Portugal Sem Limites 164,139 photos, 4,848 members
- re:publica 2011 390 photos, 40 members
- HIPSTER 5,409 photos, 639 members
- Mac Addicts 33,392 photos, 7,816 members
- Say NO to the new Flickr logo 43 photos, 179 members
- Erfurt/Thüringen 9,017 photos, 420 members
- Polarize & LOFI 33,181 photos, 5,500 members
- #3/...flickrjob's third 5,898 photos, 230 members
- Ministract 38,112 photos, 1,122 members
- all but one 12,919 photos, 1,510 members
- The JURORS / Different Personalities, Different Views (Closed) 6,115 photos, 3,606 members
- Bremen 21,356 photos, 1,322 members
- Getty Images and the Flickr Collection (closed) 144,396 photos, 3,565 members
- Getty Images on Flickr 0 photos, 16,903 members
- Caspar David Friedrich Inspiration 73 photos, 53 members
- Barcelona 261,618 photos, 13,861 members
- Before or After (not now) 453 photos, 121 members
- Better Than Good 628,473 photos, 47,188 members
- LGBT 30,705 photos, 3,477 members
- GAY DAY 9,708 photos, 907 members
- Favorites: 200 18,783 photos, 3,787 members
- 200+ Faves 1-2-3 (Post one,Comment and Fave two) 34,204 photos, 2,876 members
- Color Street Photography [Photos of People Only] 11,996 photos, 6,301 members
- HCSP (Hardcore Street Photography) 3,157 photos, 79,450 members
- Quality Portrait Photography 51,835 photos, 6,862 members
- Cuba - todo a lo Cubano 93,314 photos, 4,487 members
- Havana / La Habana 35,246 photos, 2,034 members
- We say NO to VIDEOS on FLICKR 853 photos, 22,196 members
- Arche 14 photos, 9 members
- LöschMich! Wie ein Phoenix aus der Asche! 9 photos, 95 members
- Zoo 265,395 photos, 12,106 members
- GRAFFITI NATION 680,687 photos, 7,569 members
- Matt Kloskowski Presets Group 2,065 photos, 1,016 members
- ALMOST !! 209 photos, 66 members
- Cultural Boxes 92,416 photos, 2,794 members
- concrete beauty 24,563 photos, 2,403 members
- The Duel Group (pool reserved for duel winners) 2,809 photos, 2,110 members
- Art Of Seeing 344 photos, 1,069 members
- Favorites: 150 18,392 photos, 3,236 members
- Passionately Pink for the Cure 65,499 photos, 12,954 members
- Cologne 37,639 photos, 2,549 members
- The Pritzker Architecture Prize on Flickr (Post 1 - Award 2) 105,031 photos, 11,459 members
"creative in every direction!
every uploaded shot shows great eye for composition, colors and emotion. it's emotion, what let some of his shots stand out. they transport feelings, emotions and invite to interpret.
one shot at a time. it's not quantity, it's quality that dominates his stream. there is the tension, that the next one will be different and/or better or just another "beauty" to look at.
not many photographers are that skilled in using photoshop as a tool in the chain of producing an image. take his lith print style - it's not about fixin' something, it's about making someting new - somthing unique.
i'm pretty sure, that i will stay what i'm right now - a allegiant visitor of his work.
even deleteme! likes him ;-)"
November 20th, 2005
- Ralf Stockmann
- July 2005
- New York, United States
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Ralf Stockmann Photography