"Art is whatever makes you proud to be human."
I’m 36, male, married and from Germany.
create your own visited countries map
or vertaling Duits Nederlands
I’m head of the Göttinger Digitization Centre, somewhat popular for our online version of the Gutenberg Bible.
One can call me a late bloomer concerning photography. I did lots of other artsy stuff (music, webdesign and filmmaking) before, but my first noticeable pictures date from 1999. I joined Flickr in spring 2005, my colleague netomer said this would be the place to be.
I wasn’t impressed at all.
In July I stumbled into deleteme!, and things changed. I loved the combination of contest, excellence, nastiness and - humor. Good old days, I spent hours laughing about KKs comments. Nowadays – well.
What I do like:
All kind of experiments and unusual styles. IMHO it’s more interesting to try something uncommon even if it does not work out than to shoot the 500. “landscape at dawn” pic.
Heavy PS-editing. I’m addicted to Photoshop and always keen to find interesting new effects. Especially to simulate “vintage analog” stuff like my quite complex Lithprint filters. Sad thing: I’m the only one who likes them, but I can live with that.
Iconographic style: most of my pics are concentrated on one object, subject, contrast, theme.
All kinds of competition. No pain – no gain, no guts – no glory.
What I don’t like:
People (especially at deleteme!) who shout OVEREXPOSED! BLOWN OUT! UNDEREXPOSED! 1/3 RULE! when it’s quite obvious that the specific effect was nothing but intended. They may say “I do not like your approach” but anything like “go play by the rules” offends my intellect.
Realism freaks. Photography is a snapshot per definition, just a small section of the surrounding reality. Two dimensions – depth and time - are always missing. So any debate reading “keep the realism” is pointless. At times e.g. I love pop-art, and I show it.
- Fujifilm X100F 2,550 photos, 211 members
- iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus Photos 46,271 photos, 3,346 members
- iPhone Camera Shots 681,962 photos, 25,176 members
- Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden 613 photos, 92 members
- Fuji X100 & X100s Germany 12,114 photos, 557 members
- Abstract Photos 123,119 photos, 19,249 members
- Fuji x100s 143,169 photos, 7,455 members
- Holocaust Mahnmal Berlin 1,637 photos, 691 members
- PORTUGAL UNLIMITED / Portugal Sem Limites 159,147 photos, 4,760 members
- re:publica 2011 390 photos, 40 members
- HIPSTER 5,191 photos, 641 members
- Mac Addicts 33,315 photos, 7,853 members
- Say NO to the new Flickr logo 43 photos, 179 members
- Erfurt/Thüringen 8,887 photos, 416 members
- Polarize & LOFI 33,227 photos, 5,521 members
- #3/...flickrjob's third 5,796 photos, 229 members
- Ministract 37,837 photos, 1,124 members
- all but one 12,931 photos, 1,523 members
- The JURORS / Different Personalities, Different Views (Closed) 6,129 photos, 3,612 members
- Bremen 21,109 photos, 1,312 members
- Getty Images and the Flickr Collection (closed) 142,788 photos, 3,546 members
- Getty Images on Flickr 0 photos, 16,936 members
- Caspar David Friedrich Inspiration 73 photos, 52 members
- Barcelona 258,153 photos, 13,759 members
- Before or After (not now) 449 photos, 120 members
- Better Than Good - Level 1 (p1/a3) 620,682 photos, 47,062 members
- LGBT 29,731 photos, 3,442 members
- GAY DAY 9,533 photos, 892 members
- Favorites: 200 17,021 photos, 3,667 members
- 200+ Faves 1-2-3 (Post one,Comment and Fave two) 30,848 photos, 2,764 members
- Color Street Photography [Photos of People Only] 12,005 photos, 6,267 members
- HCSP (Hardcore Street Photography) 3,149 photos, 78,849 members
- Quality Portrait Photography 51,506 photos, 6,826 members
- Cuba - todo a lo Cubano 92,414 photos, 4,469 members
- Havana / La Habana 34,536 photos, 2,019 members
- We say NO to VIDEOS on FLICKR 855 photos, 22,263 members
- Arche 14 photos, 10 members
- LöschMich! Wie ein Phoenix aus der Asche! 9 photos, 96 members
- Zoo 260,562 photos, 12,018 members
- GRAFFITI NATION 663,571 photos, 7,544 members
- Matt Kloskowski Presets Group 2,064 photos, 1,022 members
- ALMOST !! 209 photos, 66 members
- Cultural Boxes 91,841 photos, 2,787 members
- concrete beauty 23,833 photos, 2,365 members
- The Duel Group (pool reserved for duel winners) 2,809 photos, 2,117 members
- Art Of Seeing 344 photos, 1,071 members
- Favorites: 150 16,811 photos, 3,091 members
- Passionately Pink for the Cure 65,482 photos, 12,969 members
- Cologne 36,670 photos, 2,539 members
- The Pritzker Architecture Prize on Flickr (Post 1 - Award 2) 105,140 photos, 11,537 members
"creative in every direction!
every uploaded shot shows great eye for composition, colors and emotion. it's emotion, what let some of his shots stand out. they transport feelings, emotions and invite to interpret.
one shot at a time. it's not quantity, it's quality that dominates his stream. there is the tension, that the next one will be different and/or better or just another "beauty" to look at.
not many photographers are that skilled in using photoshop as a tool in the chain of producing an image. take his lith print style - it's not about fixin' something, it's about making someting new - somthing unique.
i'm pretty sure, that i will stay what i'm right now - a allegiant visitor of his work.
even deleteme! likes him ;-)"
November 20th, 2005
- Ralf Stockmann
- July 2005
- New York, United States
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Ralf Stockmann Photography