Back in mrwaterslide's teaching days(before the notion, much less the reality, of mrwaterslide had even been thought of), he used to read a little essay to his students called something like "A Love Transcending Sadness." The essay was written by Willie Morris, the Mississippi writer, and appeared in a most unlikely venue: Parade Magazine, yes, that Parade, the newspaper's Sunday supplement.
In the essay, Mr. Morris talked about his feelings about graveyards, described cemeteries he'd visited, inscriptions he'd enjoyed (Here lies Johnny Kongapod/Have mercy on him, gracious God/as he would on you if he was God/And You were Johnny Kongapod). At the end of the essay, Mr. Morris provides this quote:
"All that we can know about those we have loved and lost," Thornton Wilder wrote, "is that they would wish us to remember them with a more intensified realization of their reality. What is essential does not die but clarifies. The highest tribute to the dead is not grief but gratitude."
At some point, this proto-mrwaterslide fellow began collecting photographs, and here, in this photostream, you can see the fruits of his labors. The 1000 (and counting) photos posted here are but a fraction of the 30.000 (give-or-take) photos in the larger collection, which grows almost daily.
In posting these photos, I, John, (mrwaterslide's alter ego) do not seek to mock, denigrate, or defame any of these individuals. Some of the photos may arrive with a bit of attendant tarnish or satirical content, but as many of you have pointed out, there is majesty in most any life, if one looks for it.
As to himself, mrwaterslide has a bunch of cds (played often) and a bunch of records (mouldering), several thousand plastic armymen, stored away in boxes, a cat, Ike, who whines a lot and sheds a lot, and a Dream, which does not even qualify, at this point, as a Preview of Coming Attractions.
As a Postscript, please note that mrwaterslide's DREAM is becoming a REALITY.
- Squinting at the Sun. Vintage Photographs. 359 photos, 22 members
- Yodeling at SXSW 1,644 photos, 144 members
- Life's a Beach (vintage photos) 663 photos, 32 members
- Warm Your Heart 1,314 photos, 87 members
- Vintage Interiors (no people) 118 photos, 27 members
- Orange and Blue 39,564 photos, 13,031 members
- Yodeling 729 photos, 70 members
- Creative Tabletop Photography 312,119 photos, 22,621 members
- bagnoles.."old bangers" 156 photos, 27 members
- What's That Picture? (pre-1945 mysteries) 1,448 photos, 302 members
- Ornamental Birdhouses & Feeders 829 photos, 270 members
- Cottage Souvenirs 1,461 photos, 129 members
- Pteridomania 163 photos, 35 members
- Vintage Ventriloquism 361 photos, 342 members
- Kodachrome 35,863 photos, 2,423 members
- Naive Backgrounds in Vintage Photos, 19th to mid 20th Century 181 photos, 43 members
- The WORLD WAR II 2,553 photos, 626 members
- World War II and Warbirds 1,587 photos, 294 members
- Licking County Ohio 747 photos, 45 members
- Photography in Interwar and WWII Hungary 507 photos, 64 members
- Vintage Christmas Photographs 811 photos, 104 members
- Vintage South Dakota 1,086 photos, 145 members
- Vintage Fun 1,327 photos, 80 members
- The Victorian Father 163 photos, 54 members
- Early Photographs of Children with Flowers 315 photos, 141 members
- Vintage Suburbia 243 photos, 43 members
- The Interloping Dog 437 photos, 78 members
- Designing Tomorrow (World's Fairs from 1933-1940) 487 photos, 65 members
- DUCKFACE 37 photos, 14 members
- The Splot: Bad Coloring in Early Photographs 105 photos, 26 members
- Photography in Interwar and WWII Germany 241 photos, 51 members
- Polyfoto 40 photos, 19 members
- 2's company 3,443 photos, 56 members
- Post 1 leave 3 passive aggressive comments, notes, or tags 9,070 photos, 814 members
- Nautical pictures of interest. 43,178 photos, 395 members
- Victorian Beauty 5,020 photos, 330 members
- Vintage Unhappy Couples 0 photos, 5 members
- Early Photography in Germany 4,676 photos, 111 members
- Dated Vintage Photographs (pre 1945) 6,237 photos, 314 members
- Female Faces 30,003 photos, 5,252 members
- League of the Empty Chair (interestingly Out Of Place) 15,861 photos, 15,894 members
- Concord and Cabarrus County NC 374 photos, 21 members
- Vintage Holiday Greetings Postcards 6,905 photos, 389 members
- Vintage Sleeping People 65 photos, 35 members
- Flickr Ideas 1 photo, 11,674 members
- How Soon We Forget! 3,322 photos, 430 members
- Vintage Show Us A Little Leg 95 photos, 66 members
- Nineteenth Century Ambrotypes 954 photos, 105 members
- fifties fashions 2,980 photos, 698 members
- allthishappiness Deserves To Win! 53 photos, 39 members
"mrwaterslide is a one-man plague of locusts..."
June 21st, 2011
"Mr Waterslide is the best kind of collector - one with taste."
December 26th, 2010
"Mrwaterslide's photostream should be considered an essential Flickr staple. There are just simply no amount of superlatives that can express in words the level of visual and cognitive interest inspired by his vast collection, meticulous documentation, and witty, compelling, self-revealing commentary. Mrwaterslide is a true original - he sets the standard for other collectors to follow here on Flickr. I am continually inspired by the degree of his passion for vernacular photography, impressed by his discerning eye for the unexpected and the artistic, and intrigued by his unparalleled talent for describing these images in a way that adds further depth, dimension, and insight into this already stunning visual world that he has created."
February 28th, 2009
Antique Dog Photos says:
"My wonderful "bro." I hope you will seriously peruse and enjoy his comments as much as his pictures. Thanks for sharing."
August 12th, 2007
"your collection is outstanding! thanx for taking the time to post the pictures on the web. i've enjoyed it immensely ;)
can't wait to see more!"
February 7th, 2006
""The quality in mrwaterslide's selection and presentation is an obvious reflection of his talent".
Someone who cares about these images the way he does is a rarity and a treasure.
I look forward to viewing his photostream and reading his comments every day."
February 1st, 2006
Kate O'Brien Creative says:
"Beautiful Photostream. Nothing I love more than seeing faces from the past, especially when they are so meticulously documented."
January 18th, 2006
- John Van Noate
- October 2005
- Cambridge, Ohio
- Concord, North Carolina, United States
- I am:
- Male and Single
- Environmental Activist