Back in mrwaterslide's teaching days(before the notion, much less the reality, of mrwaterslide had even been thought of), he used to read a little essay to his students called like "A Love Transcending Sadness." The essay was written by Willie Morris, the Mississippi writer, and appeared in a most unlikely venue: Parade Magazine, yes, that Parade, the newspaper's Sunday supplement.
In the essay, Mr. Morris talked about his feelings about graveyards, described cemeteries he'd visited, inscriptions he'd enjoyed (Here lies Johnny Kongapod/Have mercy on him, gracious God/as he would on you if he was God/And You were Johnny Kongapod). At the end of the essay, Mr. Morris provides this quote:
"All that we can know about those we have loved and lost," Thornton Wilder wrote, "is that they would wish us to remember them with a more intensified realization of their reality. What is essential does not die but clarifies. The highest tribute to the dead is not grief but gratitude."
At some point, this proto-mrwaterslide fellow began collecting photographs, and here, in this photostream, you can see the fruits of his labors. The 1000 (and counting) photos posted here are but a fraction of the 30.000 (give-or-take) photos in the larger collection, which grows almost daily.
In posting these photos, I, John, (mrwaterslide's alter ego) do not seek to mock, denigrate, or defame any of these individuals. Some of the photos may arrive with a bit of attendant tarnish or satirical content, but as many of you have pointed out, there is majesty in most any life, if one looks for it.
As to himself, mrwaterslide has a bunch of cds (played often) and a bunch of records (mouldering), several thousand plastic armymen, stored away in boxes, a cat, Ike, who whines a lot and sheds a lot, and a Dream, which does not even qualify, at this point, as a Preview of Coming Attractions.
As a Postscript, please note that mrwaterslide's DREAM is becoming a REALITY.
- Early Illinois Photographers 1,464 photos, 31 members
- Daily Do= Doodle 485 photos, 22 members
- Smiling Faces of Yesteryear 482 photos, 34 members
- Can you see what I see? 31 photos, 4 members
- Squinting at the Sun. Vintage Photographs. 834 photos, 38 members
- Yodeling at SXSW 1,644 photos, 142 members
- Life's a Beach (vintage photos) 1,171 photos, 40 members
- Warm Your Heart 3,206 photos, 100 members
- Vintage Interiors (no people) 223 photos, 34 members
- Orange and Blue 52,437 photos, 16,214 members
- Yodeling 729 photos, 69 members
- Creative Tabletop Photography 349,140 photos, 23,915 members
- bagnoles.."old bangers" 294 photos, 31 members
- What's That Picture? (pre-1945 mysteries) 1,573 photos, 331 members
- Ornamental Birdhouses & Feeders 861 photos, 279 members
- Cottage Souvenirs 1,520 photos, 140 members
- Pteridomania 200 photos, 36 members
- Vintage Ventriloquism 363 photos, 346 members
- Kodachrome 39,590 photos, 2,534 members
- Naive Backgrounds in Vintage Photos, 19th to mid 20th Century 216 photos, 58 members
- The WORLD WAR II 2,656 photos, 691 members
- World War II and Warbirds 1,587 photos, 305 members
- Licking County Ohio 761 photos, 48 members
- Photography in Interwar and WWII Hungary 517 photos, 64 members
- Vintage Christmas Photographs 939 photos, 114 members
- Vintage South Dakota 1,104 photos, 145 members
- Vintage Fun 1,991 photos, 95 members
- The Victorian Father 170 photos, 59 members
- Early Photographs of Children with Flowers 322 photos, 141 members
- Vintage Suburbia 321 photos, 54 members
- The Interloping Dog 453 photos, 78 members
- Designing Tomorrow (World's Fairs from 1933-1940) 493 photos, 68 members
- DUCKFACE 28 photos, 14 members
- The Splot: Bad Coloring in Early Photographs 108 photos, 26 members
- Photography in Interwar and WWII Germany 275 photos, 51 members
- Polyfoto 40 photos, 19 members
- 2's company 3,757 photos, 57 members
- Post 1 leave 3 passive aggressive comments, notes, or tags 8,997 photos, 813 members
- Nautical pictures of interest. 45,425 photos, 408 members
- Victorian Beauty 5,555 photos, 386 members
- Vintage Unhappy Couples 0 photos, 5 members
- Early Photography in Germany 5,268 photos, 116 members
- Dated Vintage Photographs (pre 1945) 6,925 photos, 353 members
- Female Faces 29,841 photos, 5,376 members
- League of the Empty Chair (interestingly Out Of Place) 16,706 photos, 17,678 members
- Concord and Cabarrus County NC 402 photos, 24 members
- Vintage Holiday Greetings Postcards 7,008 photos, 411 members
- Vintage Sleeping People 65 photos, 36 members
- Flickr Ideas 1 photo, 11,534 members
- How Soon We Forget! 2,757 photos, 434 members
"mrwaterslide is a one-man plague of locusts..."
June 21st, 2011
"Mr Waterslide is the best kind of collector - one with taste."
December 26th, 2010
"Mrwaterslide's photostream should be considered an essential Flickr staple. There are just simply no amount of superlatives that can express in words the level of visual and cognitive interest inspired by his vast collection, meticulous documentation, and witty, compelling, self-revealing commentary. Mrwaterslide is a true original - he sets the standard for other collectors to follow here on Flickr. I am continually inspired by the degree of his passion for vernacular photography, impressed by his discerning eye for the unexpected and the artistic, and intrigued by his unparalleled talent for describing these images in a way that adds further depth, dimension, and insight into this already stunning visual world that he has created."
February 28th, 2009
Antique Dog Photos says:
"My wonderful "bro." I hope you will seriously peruse and enjoy his comments as much as his pictures. Thanks for sharing."
August 12th, 2007
"your collection is outstanding! thanx for taking the time to post the pictures on the web. i've enjoyed it immensely ;)
can't wait to see more!"
February 7th, 2006
""The quality in mrwaterslide's selection and presentation is an obvious reflection of his talent".
Someone who cares about these images the way he does is a rarity and a treasure.
I look forward to viewing his photostream and reading his comments every day."
February 1st, 2006
Kate O'Brien Creative says:
"Beautiful Photostream. Nothing I love more than seeing faces from the past, especially when they are so meticulously documented."
January 18th, 2006
- John Van Noate
- October 2005
- Cambridge, Ohio
- Concord, North Carolina, United States
- I am:
- Male and Single
- Environmental Activist