Back in mrwaterslide's teaching days(before the notion, much less the reality, of mrwaterslide had even been thought of), he used to read a little essay to his students called like "A Love Transcending Sadness." The essay was written by Willie Morris, the Mississippi writer, and appeared in a most unlikely venue: Parade Magazine, yes, that Parade, the newspaper's Sunday supplement.
In the essay, Mr. Morris talked about his feelings about graveyards, described cemeteries he'd visited, inscriptions he'd enjoyed (Here lies Johnny Kongapod/Have mercy on him, gracious God/as he would on you if he was God/And You were Johnny Kongapod). At the end of the essay, Mr. Morris provides this quote:
"All that we can know about those we have loved and lost," Thornton Wilder wrote, "is that they would wish us to remember them with a more intensified realization of their reality. What is essential does not die but clarifies. The highest tribute to the dead is not grief but gratitude."
At some point, this proto-mrwaterslide fellow began collecting photographs, and here, in this photostream, you can see the fruits of his labors. The 1000 (and counting) photos posted here are but a fraction of the 30.000 (give-or-take) photos in the larger collection, which grows almost daily.
In posting these photos, I, John, (mrwaterslide's alter ego) do not seek to mock, denigrate, or defame any of these individuals. Some of the photos may arrive with a bit of attendant tarnish or satirical content, but as many of you have pointed out, there is majesty in most any life, if one looks for it.
As to himself, mrwaterslide has a bunch of cds (played often) and a bunch of records (mouldering), several thousand plastic armymen, stored away in boxes, a cat, Ike, who whines a lot and sheds a lot, and a Dream, which does not even qualify, at this point, as a Preview of Coming Attractions.
As a Postscript, please note that mrwaterslide's DREAM is becoming a REALITY.
- Vintage Base Ball 40 photos, 3 members
- Early Illinois Photographers 1,567 photos, 32 members
- Daily Do= Doodle 647 photos, 22 members
- Smiling Faces of Yesteryear 544 photos, 34 members
- Can you see what I see? 33 photos, 4 members
- Squinting at the Sun. Vintage Photographs. 852 photos, 39 members
- Yodeling at SXSW 1,644 photos, 143 members
- Life's a Beach (vintage photos) 1,192 photos, 41 members
- Warm Your Heart 3,398 photos, 102 members
- Vintage Interiors (no people) 226 photos, 36 members
- Orange and Blue 53,383 photos, 16,344 members
- Yodeling 729 photos, 69 members
- Creative Tabletop Photography 352,608 photos, 24,033 members
- bagnoles.."old bangers" 298 photos, 31 members
- What's That Picture? (pre-1945 mysteries) 1,583 photos, 333 members
- Ornamental Birdhouses & Feeders 859 photos, 279 members
- Cottage Souvenirs 1,522 photos, 141 members
- Pteridomania 206 photos, 35 members
- Vintage Ventriloquism 363 photos, 347 members
- Kodachrome 40,052 photos, 2,553 members
- Naive Backgrounds in Vintage Photos, 19th to mid 20th Century 226 photos, 58 members
- The WORLD WAR II 2,657 photos, 702 members
- World War II and Warbirds 1,587 photos, 304 members
- Licking County Ohio 762 photos, 48 members
- Photography in Interwar and WWII Hungary 518 photos, 63 members
- Vintage Christmas Photographs 962 photos, 117 members
- Vintage South Dakota 1,070 photos, 145 members
- Vintage Fun 2,092 photos, 96 members
- The Victorian Father 172 photos, 59 members
- Early Photographs of Children with Flowers 323 photos, 141 members
- Vintage Suburbia 322 photos, 57 members
- The Interloping Dog 451 photos, 77 members
- Designing Tomorrow (World's Fairs from 1933-1940) 496 photos, 69 members
- DUCKFACE 28 photos, 14 members
- The Splot: Bad Coloring in Early Photographs 108 photos, 26 members
- Photography in Interwar and WWII Germany 284 photos, 51 members
- Polyfoto 40 photos, 19 members
- 2's company 3,766 photos, 57 members
- Post 1 leave 3 passive aggressive comments, notes, or tags 9,004 photos, 814 members
- Nautical pictures of interest. 45,697 photos, 408 members
- Victorian Beauty 5,564 photos, 392 members
- Vintage Unhappy Couples 0 photos, 5 members
- Early Photography in Germany 5,322 photos, 116 members
- Dated Vintage Photographs (pre 1945) 6,930 photos, 354 members
- Female Faces 29,693 photos, 5,391 members
- League of the Empty Chair (interestingly Out Of Place) 16,743 photos, 17,760 members
- Concord and Cabarrus County NC 402 photos, 24 members
- Vintage Holiday Greetings Postcards 7,049 photos, 413 members
- Vintage Sleeping People 65 photos, 35 members
- Flickr Ideas 1 photo, 11,508 members
"mrwaterslide is a one-man plague of locusts..."
June 21st, 2011
"Mr Waterslide is the best kind of collector - one with taste."
December 26th, 2010
"Mrwaterslide's photostream should be considered an essential Flickr staple. There are just simply no amount of superlatives that can express in words the level of visual and cognitive interest inspired by his vast collection, meticulous documentation, and witty, compelling, self-revealing commentary. Mrwaterslide is a true original - he sets the standard for other collectors to follow here on Flickr. I am continually inspired by the degree of his passion for vernacular photography, impressed by his discerning eye for the unexpected and the artistic, and intrigued by his unparalleled talent for describing these images in a way that adds further depth, dimension, and insight into this already stunning visual world that he has created."
February 28th, 2009
Antique Dog Photos says:
"My wonderful "bro." I hope you will seriously peruse and enjoy his comments as much as his pictures. Thanks for sharing."
August 12th, 2007
"your collection is outstanding! thanx for taking the time to post the pictures on the web. i've enjoyed it immensely ;)
can't wait to see more!"
February 7th, 2006
""The quality in mrwaterslide's selection and presentation is an obvious reflection of his talent".
Someone who cares about these images the way he does is a rarity and a treasure.
I look forward to viewing his photostream and reading his comments every day."
February 1st, 2006
Kate O'Brien Creative says:
"Beautiful Photostream. Nothing I love more than seeing faces from the past, especially when they are so meticulously documented."
January 18th, 2006
- John Van Noate
- October 2005
- Cambridge, Ohio
- Concord, North Carolina, United States
- I am:
- Male and Single
- Environmental Activist