NOTE: Until recently, most of my photos on Flickr were published under the Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike licence. They are now available under the Attribution licence, so all you need to do is put my name somewhere near the photo, wherever you re-publish it. And if you're not publishing it, feel free to use it. But do check first to make sure that it's not an ALL RIGHTS RESERVED photo.
I should start off by saying that Flickr is my third offline backup so everything is on here: the good, the bad, and the ugly. Well, the good and the bad - I don't do self-portraits. :-)
If you only want to see what I consider to be my best photos, look at the Fine Art set, the My Favourites set for photos taken with my DSLR or compacts, and at the Mobile Favourites set for those taken with the various cameraphones I've owned.
Note: The licence on some of my photos has changed from the CC Attribution Share-Alike licence to All Rights Reserved. See below for details.
I got serious about photography when I discovered Flickr's Explore 7 Days Interesting page. So in January 2007 I bought my Casio EX-Z700. Though a good compact, this wouldn't let me do what I wanted to do so I got a Canon S3is at the end of May 2007. This amazing camera helped me take my photography to new levels, but it still wasn't enough.
So, thanks to a small legacy, on 29th March 2007 I bought my Canon EOS 40D with the EF-S17-85mm IS USM kit lens and an EF 70-300mm IS USM telephoto lens. These lenses gave me all the range I needed but I added the EF 50mm f/1.8 "Nifty Fifty" to my kit for closer work than I normally do. I also have a Tamron 28-300 f3.5-6.3 for when I want to travel light with a single lens. And I have a Kenko Teleplus MC7 DG 2x extender which works well with the EF lenses and the Tamron, though I lose AF with all of them. A Canon 430EX II flash, a Calumet tripod with 3-way pan-and-tilt head, and a handful of filters round off my kit. In recent years I've moved to Nikon, then to a Samsung mirrorless camera.
Photography is my main hobby. I used to run Linux and did pretty much all of my post-processing in the Gimp and Picasa, but now I use Lightroom and ON1 Photo 10 on Windows.
Most of my photos on Flickr are under the Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike license, so you can use them as royalty-free stock as long as a) you credit me; and b) if you publish an image based on my picture, it must be released under the same or a similar license. As owner of the photos, I reserve the right to change this at any time. If I do, I'll give notice here and in the comments for the photos that this decision affects.
Some of the photos, particularly those in the Fine Art set, are All Rights Reserved and may not be used without explicit permission in writing from me, either by letter or by email.
To date, my photos have been used on a few thousand web pages and blogs including such high-profile sites as Mashable, Lifehacker, and Etsy. If you do use one of my photos, it's best to download it from Flickr rather than link to it as I can't guarantee it will stay here (I use Flickr as my online backup rather than purely as a showcase). My photos on Flickr were saved at around 80% quality. If you want 100% quality versions, please e-mail me at
I've recently been uploading photos taken with my mobile phone. These aren't intended to be used as stock photos; they're more for me to play around and have fun with. You can, of course, use them if you like under the same CC license as the rest of my photos. But be aware that the image quality won't be up to the quality of the DSLR photos and I'll most likely have heavily processed them.
The best way to attribute my photos on your website is to put something like "Photo by Garry Knight" below it, or near it, or at least somewhere on the page and, if you can, link it back to the Flickr photo page.
I'm also on Google+ so if you're on there too, please feel free to add me to a Circle.
It has been brought to my attention that a website has misused one of my photos. An image of a teenager wearing bright colours and listening to music on headphones, tagged with words like "music", "colour", "listen", "girl", and "headphones" was used to illustrate an article on drug abuse, the headline of which appeared to be related to the subject of the photo. The lady in question has objected to the use of the photo in this way.
This is not acceptable. Not to her as subject nor to me as photographer.
If you're planning to use one of my photos, please think about what you're doing and exercise some intelligence when it comes to choosing which photo goes with which topic.
I don't want to have to stop publishing Creative Commons photos but if this kind of misuse continues, I will certainly do so.
- Instagram Lovers 10,466 photos, 368 members
- Instagram London 1,024 photos, 109 members
- Instagram Enthusiasts 6,657 photos, 264 members
- Marches & Protests: photos & art of the resistance 1,277 photos, 102 members
- Your Best Shot 2016 28,117 photos, 40,314 members
- Bushy Park 8,109 photos, 378 members
- Wildlife UK 281,322 photos, 5,300 members
- Wildlife of the British Isles 233,983 photos, 4,182 members
- Animals (All Kinds) 755,427 photos, 34,274 members
- Seaside UK 33,478 photos, 2,113 members
- Seaside Photography 40,192 photos, 2,017 members
- Sony Photographing. 197,359 photos, 3,921 members
- Sony HX60 5,174 photos, 138 members
- Sunset light 58,661 photos, 25,163 members
- Sunsets over the City 106,117 photos, 15,219 members
- Boats 373,772 photos, 27,445 members
- Weymouth & Portland 10,911 photos, 462 members
- Dorset 71,868 photos, 2,726 members
- Your ON1 Images - No Limits 6,133 photos, 96 members
- Beckenham, London 2,386 photos, 214 members
- ON1 Photo RAW 3,129 photos, 94 members
- London Fashion Week 1,938 photos, 136 members
- FlickrCentral With No Posting Limit 620,649 photos, 3,081 members
- Flickr's Biggest Group 489,251 photos, 15,570 members
- Nokia Lumia 930, Icon 2,153 photos, 137 members
- Nokia Lumia 930, 1520 and Icon 10,276 photos, 827 members
- Nokia Lumia 930 2,024 photos, 194 members
- Global Photojournalism; Protest, Culture, and News 621,519 photos, 44,293 members
- Leigh on Sea 3,725 photos, 236 members
- South East England Wildlife 75,813 photos, 1,216 members
- Funny signs 15,430 photos, 2,129 members
- Sign City 254,387 photos, 11,791 members
- Sign, sign, everywhere a sign.... 74,878 photos, 3,578 members
- British Wildlife Centre 15,261 photos, 1,296 members
- Protests, Political Art, Democracy, Social Change 153,457 photos, 11,001 members
- The River Lee and Lee Valley 6,674 photos, 311 members
- Compact System Cameras (micro 4/3, Nex, Nx, M, etc.) 73,020 photos, 929 members
- Samsung NX 61,144 photos, 1,365 members
- Samsung Digital Community 13,694 photos, 523 members
- Samsung NX series. 46,647 photos, 1,251 members
- Beach Huts UK 5,068 photos, 840 members
- TREE PICS 417,869 photos, 26,272 members
- Samsung NX2000 Camera 2,725 photos, 95 members
- Samsung NX2000 2,868 photos, 192 members
- Church Interiors 166,107 photos, 11,100 members
- Churches - Please read the rules before posting 203,814 photos, 14,658 members
- Horse Lovers Group 52,575 photos, 6,303 members
- Samsung Mobile Photography 33,801 photos, 1,827 members
- Samsung Galaxy Camera 7,282 photos, 585 members
- mobile phones pics 22,188 photos, 1,095 members
garryknight doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Garry Knight
- May 2007
- London, England
- I am:
- Garry Knight on Google+