NOTE: Until recently, most of my photos on Flickr were published under the Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike licence. They are now available under the Attribution licence, so all you need to do is put my name somewhere near the photo, wherever you re-publish it. And if you're not publishing it, feel free to use it. But do check first to make sure that it's not an ALL RIGHTS RESERVED photo. Photos of political events (marches, protests, meetings) have a CC0 (Public Domain Dedication) licence and can be used freely for any purpose. The licence on some of my photos has changed from the CC Attribution Share-Alike licence to All Rights Reserved. See below for details.
My best stuff
If you only want to see what I consider to be my best photos, look at the Fine Art set, the My Favourites set for photos taken with my DSLR or compacts, and at the Mobile Favourites set for those taken with the various cameraphones I've owned.
My photographic history
I got serious about photography when I discovered Flickr's Explore 7 Days Interesting page. So in January 2007 I bought my Casio EX-Z700. Though a good compact, this wouldn't let me do what I wanted to do so I got a Canon S3is at the end of May 2007. This amazing camera helped me take my photography to new levels, but it still wasn't enough.
So, thanks to a small legacy, on 29th March 2007 I bought my Canon EOS 40D plus a few lenses and some other kit. Then I moved to a Nikon D5100, and these days to a Sony mirrorless camera. I also have a Panasonic TZ70 30x superzoom which I use as a pocket camera.
Photography is my main hobby. I used to run Linux and did pretty much all of my post-processing in the Gimp and Picasa, but now I use ON1 Photo Raw on Windows.
Most of my photos on Flickr are under the Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike license, so you can use them as royalty-free stock as long as a) you credit me; and b) if you publish an image based on my picture, it must be released under the same or a similar license. As owner of the photos, I reserve the right to change this at any time. If I do, I'll give notice here and in the comments for the photos that this decision affects.
Some of the photos, particularly those in the Fine Art and The Mono Series sets, are All Rights Reserved and may not be used without explicit permission in writing from me, either by letter or by email.
Using my photos
To date, my photos have been used on a few thousand web pages and blogs including such high-profile sites as Mashable, Lifehacker, and Etsy, and also quite a few on Wikipedia. If you do use one of my photos, it's best to download it from Flickr rather than link to it as I can't guarantee it will stay here (I use Flickr as my online backup rather than purely as a showcase). My photos on Flickr were saved at around 80% quality. If you want 100% quality versions, please e-mail me at
I've also been uploading photos taken with my various mobile phones. These aren't intended to be used as stock photos; they're more for me to play around and have fun with. You can, of course, use them if you like under the same CC license as the rest of my photos. But be aware that the image quality won't be up to the quality of the DSLR photos and I'll most likely have heavily processed them.
The best way to attribute my photos on your website is to put something like "Photo by Garry Knight" below it, or near it, or at least somewhere on the page and, if you can, please link it back to the Flickr photo page.
I'm also on Google+ so if you're on there too, please feel free to add me to a Circle, and on 500px. In both cases, just search for my name as 'Garry Knight' or 'garryknight'.
It has been brought to my attention that a website has misused one of my photos. An image of a teenager wearing bright colours and listening to music on headphones, tagged with words like "music", "colour", "listen", "girl", and "headphones" was used to illustrate an article on drug abuse, the headline of which appeared to be related to the subject of the photo. The lady in question has objected to the use of the photo in this way.
This is not acceptable. Not to her as subject nor to me as photographer.
If you're planning to use one of my photos, please think about what you're doing and exercise some intelligence when it comes to choosing which photo goes with which topic.
I don't want to have to stop publishing Creative Commons photos but if this kind of misuse continues, I will certainly do so.
- Black&White Photo Group 1,111,422 photos, 33,631 members
- Black & White Digital 1,241,386 photos, 40,501 members
- White/Black 1,527,706 photos, 58,431 members
- Team Sony 342,624 photos, 3,476 members
- Affinity Photo Users Nederland(s) 690 photos, 70 members
- Affinity Photo 9,508 photos, 482 members
- Your Best Shot 2018 7,612 photos, 11,383 members
- Google+ Refugees 1,809 photos, 159 members
- Essex 56,424 photos, 930 members
- WEBSHOTS ESTATE COMMUNITY 18,740 photos, 1,657 members
- SONY ILCE-6000/6300/6500 231,219 photos, 9,753 members
- Sony A6000 81,100 photos, 3,627 members
- Shots from your Sony A6000 40,284 photos, 2,743 members
- Sony Alpha 6000 247,796 photos, 10,718 members
- Camden 22,752 photos, 1,701 members
- Shop Windows 28,630 photos, 2,124 members
- SHOP WINDOW 21,023 photos, 1,835 members
- CHRISTMAS*A Magical time of the year* 37,827 photos, 4,682 members
- Christmas All Year 35,775 photos, 4,356 members
- markets 44,453 photos, 3,215 members
- Markets of the world 53,100 photos, 4,951 members
- Food & drinks all over the world 47,582 photos, 1,606 members
- Panasonic Lumix Users 235,669 photos, 3,850 members
- Panasonic Lumix Group 39,614 photos, 834 members
- Panasonic Lumix 80,195 photos, 860 members
- Panasonic Lumix DMC - Group 55,025 photos, 999 members
- Panasonic TZ Users 28,762 photos, 514 members
- Panasonic Lumix Lovers 319,813 photos, 4,280 members
- Snapseed Photo Share 128,772 photos, 3,586 members
- GARDEN FAVORITES 64,623 photos, 2,063 members
- Parks 50,909 photos, 1,875 members
- Zombie Walks 36,668 photos, 1,939 members
- South West England 109,216 photos, 1,447 members
- Houses and Homes exteriors 92,981 photos, 7,182 members
- Buildings, Angles and Arches 72,137 photos, 4,952 members
- Architecture Photography 350,775 photos, 13,371 members
- A STATUE..PLAQUES 7,629 photos, 243 members
- Kent 103,523 photos, 2,717 members
- Instagram Lovers 12,462 photos, 385 members
- Instagram London 1,418 photos, 119 members
- Instagram Enthusiasts 8,069 photos, 274 members
- Marches & Protests: photos & art of the resistance 3,471 photos, 169 members
- Bushy Park 8,911 photos, 404 members
- Wildlife UK 368,195 photos, 6,219 members
- Wildlife of the British Isles 301,769 photos, 4,919 members
- Animals (All Kinds) 956,174 photos, 40,280 members
- Seaside UK 37,893 photos, 2,289 members
- Seaside Photography 54,970 photos, 2,332 members
- Sony Photographing. 266,317 photos, 4,916 members
- Sony HX60 5,486 photos, 188 members
garryknight doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Garry Knight
- May 2007
- London, England
- I am:
- Garry Knight on Google+