Thanks for visiting!
What do I do in real life? I am a biologist by training who now works as a Bioinformatics Scientists - meaning I program computers to study biology. Some of my programs for biology can be seen on my software website Algosome Software
Photography has been a hobby of mine for over a decade now. Be it having less time, preoccupied with other hobbies, finding new locations, or just less inspiration, I find I don't travel as much exclusively for photography. But that makes every trip I take that much more meaningful.
All of my photographs on flickr are © Copyright Greg Cope, All Rights Reserved. If you wish to use a photograph of mine, please contact me. More of my work can be seen on my photo webpage at Nature Focused
I don't comment on photos as much as I used to. Its not for a lack of good quality here and elsewhere. It is more to a lack of time and changing priorities, the result of which is that I'm not much of a social networker (and lets face it, photo sharing sites like flickr tend to be very social networking centric, which makes it difficult and time consuming to give and take beyond than that).
- The Sierra Nevada Collection 1,971 photos, 174 members
- California Currents 15,377 photos, 390 members
- Absolutely Stunning 'Scapes ***INVITED PHOTOS ONLY*** 31,079 photos, 9,016 members
- Tidepools 5,539 photos, 286 members
- Eastern Sierra (Wildflowers & Wildlife) 987 photos, 61 members
- Hawaii Paradise 69,710 photos, 3,195 members
- Northern California Photography 200,430 photos, 5,509 members
- Backcountry Only 236 photos, 32 members
- *Earth's Natural Photography* 55,079 photos, 1,395 members
- Mountain Trail Photo Nature Photography Group (POST 1/COMMENT 3) 6,726 photos, 478 members
- Macro 928,957 photos, 45,767 members
- Field Guide to Insects and Spiders 68,710 photos, 2,538 members
- Birds Photos 3,054,494 photos, 89,446 members
- Born Free, Living Free 139,122 photos, 3,076 members
- Santa Cruz Photography 16,847 photos, 1,274 members
- Nature Abstracted 14,241 photos, 3,085 members
- G Dan Mitchell's "Sierra Nevada - Photographs from the Range o 17,097 photos, 931 members
- The Yosemite Bear Project 47 photos, 76 members
- Canon EF 400mm f/5.6 L 48,069 photos, 1,661 members
- Adventure Photography 8,227 photos, 318 members
- Flickr's Best Landscape Photographers (Post 1 Award 2) 21,149 photos, 3,196 members
- Photoshop Support Group 325,928 photos, 35,793 members
- Adobe Lightroom 59,452 photos, 26,695 members
- National Geographic: Are You Good Enough? Post 1, Nominate 3 1,249,402 photos, 77,144 members
- 1-2-3 498,753 photos, 17,053 members
- All Favourite Photos 28,793 photos, 3,375 members
- Taken in a place with no name 136 photos, 76 members
- California Pictorial 9,793 photos, 169 members
- The Ultimate Collection 95 photos, 40 members
- Feathers+Beaks=Birds (P2 / C2) 195,621 photos, 7,487 members
- LightSearchers 167 photos, 42 members
- Flickr Turns 4 2,336 photos, 4,777 members
- hiking climbing backpacking 102,819 photos, 4,687 members
- 100 + Viewed Natural Landscapes (add1, com.1) Break Rules = Ban 38,021 photos, 3,682 members
- NaturePhotographs 275,585 photos, 8,492 members
- Golden Photographer (Invite Only Images and +10Faves) 25,062 photos, 5,394 members
- Flickr Elite Group 716,529 photos, 14,889 members
- Chosen Challengers Challenges 2,935 photos, 249 members
- Nature's Call. 162,349 photos, 4,056 members
- We travel the World 1,456,471 photos, 49,410 members
- Mountain Light (Invited photos ONLY) 843 photos, 209 members
- Ted and Mike's Photo Group 2 photos, 8 members
- Midpeninsula Regional Open Space 1,273 photos, 117 members
- The Unforgettable Pictures ~ Post 1, Comment 3 ~ NEW RULES!! 372,552 photos, 31,330 members
- Extreme California: new contest for group icon 197 photos, 45 members
- *ABW* Gallery - by invitation only 1,028 photos, 1,505 members
- Canon 17-40 f/4L USM Group 211,916 photos, 10,564 members
- >>> Art Wolfe Inspired <<< 2,949 photos, 199 members
- Excellent Photographer Awards ADMIN INVITE only / Post1/ Award3 60,127 photos, 11,996 members
- Excellence in Scenic Landscape Photography (Invited Photos Only) 171 photos, 289 members
Buck Forester says:
"When Greg goes on a backpacking trip I get excited because I know he's going to come back with some freaking crazy awesome images of my favorite places! He points his camera at beautiful scenery, and I know the effort required to haul the photo equipment around the wilderness, up and down passes, and swatting mosquitoes between shots, ha! If I were a publisher needing a photographer to come back with some consistently great shots of a backpacking adventure, Greg would be up there at the top of my list. He's guaranteed to come back with breathtaking images. He has the talent, the passion, and the wilderness know-how to capture the most beautiful scenery in all kinds of conditions. But most of all I love that he explores the same areas as me and I am always eager (and impressed) to see how he captures the lakes, meadows, streams, and mountains of the High Sierra. I'm sure we'll take an adventure together sometime."
February 18th, 2008
Mac Danzig Photography says:
"Greg's photostream epitomizes everything I dream to be able to do with nature photography. His entire portfolio is incredible. For the best nature and outdoors photos on Flickr, look no further."
January 8th, 2008
"I have known Greg for sometime now through Flickr. All I can say is he is an extremely dedicated and passionate nature lover, a very talented photographer and a real great helpful guy. I wish him all the success in his life in whatever he wants to achieve. Great going Greg and would love to see more of your work in future. ~deb"
September 24th, 2007
"When I stumbled onto Greg's stream I stopped and settled in, knowing I'd be there for awhile; the first image I saw had that tell-tale look of someone that started out in film, carrying on the Rowell tradition of mastering the extreme contrasts of high alpine scenery. As for his collection, I don't have enough words. He's in that group that I always think of as 'photographers'...while I just screw around, hoping that something mediocre will come out better once processed and mounted...lol.
I'd fave most everything he has but would run out of room...I just added him as a contact instead so I can be inspired to try harder, and unfold the tripod, and make that extra trip down the coast, get up earlier...basically inspired to see just what photography can be. Check him out..."
July 1st, 2007
Mono Andes says:
"Sorry in spanish.
Es realmente un placer entrar a la galería de Greg y disfrutar de la naturaleza y los paisajes de la Sierra Nevada de California, en maravillosos lugares que invitan a montar el campamento y a recorrer estas montañas y sus parques.
Felicitaciones por todas las fotos y no se arrepentirán de entrar a esta galería."
May 10th, 2007
Mike Matenkosky says:
"I haven't met Greg yet, but I've known Greg for a few years from different backpacking and photography forums. Greg is a very talented photographer and hope to meet him soon!"
April 18th, 2007
"Greg is an exceptional landscape photographer and I always enjoy a casual stroll through his photostream. Flickr is such an amazing place with such exceptional talent - and Greg is one of those who makes it just that.
Keep up the good work!
March 21st, 2007
"I'm happy to be the first person to provide a testimonial for Greg. His photostream is inspiring and of the highest quality, most notably in his work in the deepest wilderness of the High Sierra. He has brought back treasures for all of us during his journeys and has been kind enough to share that experience on Flickr. Be sure to take the time to enjoy it."
December 7th, 2006
- Greg Cope
- June 2006
- Menlo Park, CA, USA
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Nature Photography by Greg Cope