My general aim is to document streetscapes, and record a few of the sights that catch my eye. I like to capture scenes of commerce and recreation that have a sence of place. I hope to use this blog to support the Dupont Circle Update newsletter.
I love cropping - it really demonstrates the power of capturing a view. I use four horizontal ratios: 4:3, 3:2 (Oskar Barnack's favorite), 1618:1000 (the golden ratio), and 2:1; plus square (1:1) and 3:4 for vertical shots.
"The camera is an instrument of detection. We photograph not only what we know, but also what we don’t know" Lisette Model
These are (apparently) my most interesting pictures. I like Darckr's presentation of my pix.
Comments are welcome. If you have a similar shot of the same subject, please feel free to include a thumbnail of your image - no bigger than 100 pixels. It's interesting to compare photos from different people.
Thanks to the DC Photo Rights group for bringing attention to a serious issue.
Visit my blog at www.mvjantzen.com/blog/.
Contact me at mvs202 [at] gmail.com.
- 2018 Smithsonian Folklife Festival 1,697 photos, 28 members
- Railfan Atlas 189,706 photos, 967 members
- 2017 Smithsonian Folklife Festival 629 photos, 28 members
- SurviveDC 2013 0 photos, 3 members
- Charm City Circulator 5 photos, 7 members
- Rock Ledge Ranch 181 photos, 27 members
- DC No Pants Metro 2013 96 photos, 15 members
- santarchydc 4,787 photos, 73 members
- Mobility Halloween 22 photos, 3 members
- Water Polo 4,563 photos, 650 members
- Critical Mass 5,695 photos, 826 members
- Benevolent Media: "Reflections" Photography for Clean Water 83 photos, 24 members
- beach lovers. . . 373,465 photos, 26,224 members
- Beaches 218,468 photos, 13,318 members
- The United States Botanical Garden, DC 1,088 photos, 100 members
- FDR Memorial 129 photos, 18 members
- BicycleSPACE: Full Moon Outings 184 photos, 15 members
- Friends of the High Line 25,078 photos, 2,373 members
- WABA Event Photos 518 photos, 26 members
- Occupy DC 4,360 photos, 129 members
- DC High Heel Race 919 photos, 104 members
- Capitol Riverfront, DC 927 photos, 35 members
- Flickr API 774 photos, 18,522 members
- PHP 1,927 photos, 360 members
- Baltimore Rock Opera Society 788 photos, 37 members
- Bike Trails 43 photos, 10 members
- New York City Subways 2,552 photos, 604 members
- Fairfax Alliance for Better Bicycling 306 photos, 32 members
- Nikon Digital 3,953,996 photos, 111,054 members
- Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden 717 photos, 99 members
- Light Junkies 115,387 photos, 19,245 members
- McDonald's Storefronts 16,784 photos, 1,227 members
- Capitol Hill 3,193 photos, 296 members
- Rain 46,639 photos, 9,929 members
- Firehouses 9,353 photos, 607 members
- dogs 42,440 photos, 1,613 members
- Chesapeake and Ohio Canal 3,398 photos, 147 members
- Bethesda, Maryland 806 photos, 52 members
- Graffitti 17,448 photos, 774 members
- NoMA - Washington, DC 758 photos, 53 members
- U.S. National Parks 222,448 photos, 19,755 members
- Georgetown - Washington, D.C. 4,251 photos, 358 members
- Downtown 69,520 photos, 2,323 members
- Orange Mania 7,891 photos, 872 members
- Fairfax County 6,023 photos, 589 members
- Columbia Heights, DC 2,609 photos, 233 members
- BloomingdaleDC 820 photos, 77 members
- US National Historic Landmarks 16,013 photos, 702 members
- umbrella 14,269 photos, 3,628 members
- Pink 60,636 photos, 5,556 members
Life Potentialist says:
"M.V. Jantzen is an amazing individual who can often be spotted helping the elderly and feeding stray cats in his neighborhood by the Potomac River. And his photographs are often quite stunning. I only wish he would take his camera with him when he is doing his morning five mile row along the Anacostia with the sun reflecting on his back as the sweat beads down his muscled torso and his long golden hair damp with dew and mist flutters gently in the morning breeze."
March 24th, 2009
"M.V. Jantzen will outshoot you any day of the week! 14K and counting!"
April 7th, 2009
- M.V. Jantzen
- September 2005
- Washington, DC, USA
- I am:
- Mystery Incorporated