My general aim is to document streetscapes, and record a few of the sights that catch my eye. I like to capture scenes of commerce and recreation that have a sence of place. I hope to use this blog to support the Dupont Circle Update newsletter.
I love cropping - it really demonstrates the power of capturing a view. I use four horizontal ratios: 4:3, 3:2 (Oskar Barnack's favorite), 1618:1000 (the golden ratio), and 2:1; plus square (1:1) and 3:4 for vertical shots.
"The camera is an instrument of detection. We photograph not only what we know, but also what we don’t know" Lisette Model
These are (apparently) my most interesting pictures. I like Darckr's presentation of my pix.
Comments are welcome. If you have a similar shot of the same subject, please feel free to include a thumbnail of your image - no bigger than 100 pixels. It's interesting to compare photos from different people.
Thanks to the DC Photo Rights group for bringing attention to a serious issue.
Visit my blog at www.mvjantzen.com/blog/.
Contact me at mvs202 [at] gmail.com.
- Railfan Atlas 225,753 photos, 1,093 members
- Rock Ledge Ranch 183 photos, 27 members
- santarchydc 5,086 photos, 73 members
- Mobility Halloween 22 photos, 3 members
- Water Polo 5,985 photos, 670 members
- The United States Botanical Garden, DC 1,099 photos, 101 members
- Friends of the High Line 25,171 photos, 2,366 members
- WABA Event Photos 518 photos, 26 members
- Capitol Riverfront, DC 924 photos, 35 members
- Flickr API 766 photos, 18,730 members
- Baltimore Rock Opera Society 761 photos, 36 members
- Bike Trails 60 photos, 12 members
- New York City Subways 2,429 photos, 601 members
- Nikon Digital 4,100,175 photos, 112,394 members
- Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden 705 photos, 100 members
- Light Junkies 114,970 photos, 19,375 members
- Capitol Hill 3,213 photos, 293 members
- Firehouses 9,389 photos, 612 members
- Chesapeake and Ohio Canal 3,271 photos, 150 members
- Bethesda, Maryland 806 photos, 53 members
- Graffitti 17,263 photos, 783 members
- NoMA - Washington, DC 758 photos, 53 members
- Georgetown - Washington, D.C. 4,277 photos, 364 members
- Downtown 71,616 photos, 2,354 members
- Columbia Heights, DC 2,637 photos, 233 members
- BloomingdaleDC 806 photos, 76 members
- US Capitol 1,788 photos, 230 members
- H Street, NE 783 photos, 80 members
- Adams Morgan, DC 937 photos, 78 members
- Horizons 11,477 photos, 560 members
- Gas Station 12,780 photos, 1,717 members
- street signs 7,469 photos, 1,097 members
- The National Archives Visitors' Group 509 photos, 133 members
- The White House 400 photos, 468 members
- Thomas Jefferson Memorial 914 photos, 160 members
- Strobist.com 601,596 photos, 123,413 members
- City Skylines 42,203 photos, 3,992 members
- roads 40,295 photos, 2,836 members
- rowing 7,516 photos, 570 members
- Marching Bands 9,054 photos, 534 members
- DC Strokes Rowing Club 1,377 photos, 48 members
- Washington National Cathedral 425 photos, 168 members
- Light Paint 59,814 photos, 6,129 members
- painting with light 10,697 photos, 691 members
- On the waterfront 9,702 photos, 193 members
- National Gallery of Art - Washington 1,986 photos, 236 members
- Train Stations 84,533 photos, 5,486 members
- Parades 45,400 photos, 1,280 members
- Smithsonian American Art Museum and the Renwick Gallery 1,691 photos, 308 members
- Lincoln Memorial 1,057 photos, 218 members
Life Potentialist says:
"M.V. Jantzen is an amazing individual who can often be spotted helping the elderly and feeding stray cats in his neighborhood by the Potomac River. And his photographs are often quite stunning. I only wish he would take his camera with him when he is doing his morning five mile row along the Anacostia with the sun reflecting on his back as the sweat beads down his muscled torso and his long golden hair damp with dew and mist flutters gently in the morning breeze."
March 24th, 2009
"M.V. Jantzen will outshoot you any day of the week! 14K and counting!"
April 7th, 2009
- M.V. Jantzen
- September 2005
- Washington, DC, USA
- I am:
- Mystery Incorporated