"Creativity comes from accepting that you're not safe, from being absolutely aware, and from letting go of control. It's a matter of seeing everything even when you want to shut your eyes."
My only claim to photographic fame is that when I was young, I lived for a while next door to Ralph Eugene Meatyard (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ralph_Eugene_Meatyard). He gave me no photographic advice whatever, but he helped me learn to ride a two-wheeler. What I mostly recall now about Gene Meatyard (as he was called) was that his wife Madelyn was the prettiest woman I had ever seen. Wow.
I photographed with film for a while. Now of course it’s all digital, and my wish is that digital had appeared years before it did. But film or digits, photography is photography. You stick a pin pretty much at random into the swirling chaos all around, and the piece you’ve pinned is a photograph. You look at it and say, “This is a piece of life. This is a piece of my life. This is a piece of ME!” You look at it for a while longer, and then you say, “That is not it at all, That is not what I meant, at all” (the last bit from Prufrock). So you wash an unsharpness filter over it, or punch up the contrast or whatever, and hope it improves. Sooner or later no doubt it will.
A small minority of my photographs are SOOC. I believe it shows disrespect for the viewer not to improve one’s photographs if such improvement is possible. Easy, significant improvement is just one of the things that make digital photography the fruitful and exciting endeavor it is.
Recall that time has no meaning in my photostream. Flickr assigns “times” to uploaded photographs, but these times are meaningless. Any photograph of mine may have been exposed two hours or two decades before it appears on Flickr. Similarly, sequence truly has no meaning other than happenstance or mood.
And please never ever read my tags. Doing this is damaging to the mind.
The currency of courtesy, so to speak, in Flickr includes Comments and Faves. Faves tend to proliferate beyond control, but when you go to the trouble of providing a whole comment, I try to reciprocate. Doubtless you will do the same for me. Photography and human relations need to achieve some degree of balance. If a significant imbalance develops, I become soggy and hard to light, and you lose a fair and faithful friend.
And always remember:
Holding up a camera is like holding up a mirror. Every photograph is a spiritual self-portrait.
Photos of David K. Edwards (11)
- HDR Cemeteries 6,137 photos, 469 members
- Photos not chosen by algorithms 1,107 photos, 791 members
- Simply the best photography 1,157 photos, 855 members
- Composition Composition Composition 1,335 photos, 1,019 members
- ~Attention Worthy - No 30/60 Limit 52,045 photos, 957 members
- ✣ To Be Still ✣ - by Admin/Mod Invite Only *cmt 1* 9,052 photos, 1,244 members
- Magik Troll Artistry *by Admin/Mod invite Only* 32,164 photos, 2,723 members
- ART by ARTISTS 1,978 photos, 57 members
- Your Best Shot 2016 27,117 photos, 37,987 members
- Six Word Story 38,044 photos, 3,238 members
- * International Geographic * (Images are subjected to approval) 16,874 photos, 2,388 members
- Cuban Cars / Carros Cubanos 11,950 photos, 1,146 members
- Cuba Photos 52,588 photos, 3,170 members
- Reptiles & Amphibians 178,032 photos, 15,368 members
- In Beautiful Light 117,393 photos, 2,779 members
- NATURE COLOR EXPLOSION 50,689 photos, 888 members
- Santa Fe, New Mexico art 4,681 photos, 500 members
- aztec 670 photos, 147 members
- Forced Perspective 4,284 photos, 985 members
- Top-Photo-Spots 16,478 photos, 645 members
- Pro Photo - Flickr Group 8,318 photos, 207 members
- bizarro! 5,409 photos, 463 members
- Le Poulailler - The Henhouse 6,122 photos, 1,223 members
- →Group wi†h Ҽxperience⏎ 3,877,955 photos, 549,803 members
- surfing 137,909 photos, 13,506 members
- Lulu: ExtraOrdinary Art - *Post 1 ~ Award 2* 50,261 photos, 935 members
- ↑ Donna's Magical Pix ↑ 38,800 photos, 624 members
- FuriaMag® 34,796 photos, 2,017 members
- Your Best Shot 2010 17,765 photos, 21,492 members
- Petroglyphs ~ 8,813 photos, 410 members
- Rock Art 21,045 photos, 1,526 members
- Roman Mosaics 694 photos, 47 members
- Herculaneum 2,161 photos, 116 members
- Ostia Antica 1,720 photos, 353 members
- BLACK AND WHITE MOSAICS 1,253 photos, 270 members
- "WHEN I WAS YOUNG" 36 photos, 33 members
- New Mexico 97,115 photos, 3,206 members
- Critique 2 4,201 photos, 2,212 members
- Movement & Motion 680,537 photos, 53,737 members
- FrHwoFavs 3,750 photos, 677 members
- Seabirds 36,943 photos, 2,688 members
- Pelicans 13,668 photos, 2,097 members
- Flickr Walkabout Group 11,916 photos, 1,713 members
- Redfield Plugins User Group 6,830 photos, 433 members
- Fractalius Flowers 1,903 photos, 305 members
- Fabulous Fractalius 17,093 photos, 1,504 members
- Fractalius Images 7,580 photos, 499 members
- CSSS: There Be A Storm A Brewin! 89,925 photos, 7,482 members
- Cats in Sinks 1,135 photos, 618 members
- Animal Butts 9,929 photos, 1,672 members
"when I come to your stream..(very often)it's like an exciting moment of discovery..discovery of your artymindsoul&eye that please me so much..your particular world of colors and places is a unique garden.."
February 20th, 2008
"David's photographic work defies categorization. He certainly has the technical skills to capture all the "Explore-worthy" sunsets, portraits, and flower macros that so many flickr members devote their time and energy to. The fact that he chooses not to do so -- to go his own way -- is one of the things I admire about his work.
At one moment he gives us the steamy, three-dimensional depth of "Koi Pool", while the next moment he shows us the sunlight refracted through an item as banal as a dormitory light plate cover. He gives us the deep, rich tones of "St. Sebastian", contrasted against the bizarre dadaist feel of a polaroid shot of a tire-encased Barbie. And of course there are the more classic architectural studies like "The Whisper" and "Maria's Balcony, Winter" --- works which first drew my attention to his images. It shows, I believe, a far ranging intellect.
David is also a kind and generous contact who manages to find the time to view and comment upon the photogaphs of his contacts. Enjoy."
August 19th, 2007
Lord Cuauhtli says:
"David is a really talented photographer, he does not post too much pictures but when he does it, they are trully beautiful and unique, showing us, the flickr fellowship, his great world that surround him!!!! Hey! it is better quality than quantity don't you think dave??? Thanks a lot for being one of my best flickr friends!!!!
And that Nickname really rocks!!!!!!"
March 11th, 2007
I am aware that he have been a constant visitor to my site.
That gives me lots of inspiration & support to post.
Then I have reviewed David works... I can vow to say that all his master pieces are excellent if not superb. I salute him for his fine skill & knowledge & his loving kindness attitude to the net communities.
You are great ......."
September 21st, 2006
- Pachelbel Canon
- June 2006
- La Jolla, CA
- La Jolla, CA, USA
- I am:
- Male and Taken