Greetings from Wheaton, a western suburb of Chicago. This area has been home for me since 1987. I'm originally from Buffalo, New York. My wife is a native of Thailand.
I love spending time on Flickr and value the acquaintances and friendships that have been formed with Flickr contacts, some around the corner and some in far corners of the world. I look forward each day to seeing the world through the lenses of others and receiving feedback on my own photos.
I take most of my photos outdoors. I shoot trains, a life long hobby of mine. Nature is another favorite subject, especially as seen from trails like the Illinois Prairie Path. I love to roam on foot with my camera, whether in the city or suburbs, often not knowing exactly where I'll end up or what I'll encounter.
My first DSLR was an Olympus E-500. Presently I'm using a Nikon D5100.
Thanks for visiting!
- Illinois Prairie Path 118 photos, 9 members
- Chicago... 137,584 photos, 8,512 members
- Nikon Digital 2,233,643 photos, 80,698 members
- The world through photography 409,750 photos, 17,045 members
- West Suburban Chicago Flickrers (WSCF) 49,718 photos, 624 members
- Chicago Transit Authority 18,053 photos, 1,658 members
- Artistic Photography 2,879,073 photos, 91,732 members
- Nikon DSLR Users 889,547 photos, 32,628 members
- Tamron 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD Users Group 25,951 photos, 952 members
- Fenced Friday 45,776 photos, 3,007 members
- Midwest Railfanning 11,084 photos, 97 members
- Nikon D5100 391,475 photos, 12,475 members
- People of the World 555,772 photos, 17,653 members
- Chicago Transit Systems 4,829 photos, 100 members
- People and Paths 85,059 photos, 2,748 members
- The World Through My Eyes - Weekend Showcase *OPEN* 3,736,036 photos, 105,972 members
- Transit Chicago 11,586 photos, 559 members
- Railroads 232,925 photos, 6,529 members
- Enjoy Illinois 37,463 photos, 714 members
- ★★★Shutter Bug - Tips & Tricks★★★ 1,381,986 photos, 26,276 members
- trains 301,369 photos, 10,589 members
- Train Photography 229,676 photos, 7,191 members
- Chicagoist Photos 204,599 photos, 3,152 members
- I Love Trains 443,391 photos, 15,512 members
- Union Pacific Railfanning 5,972 photos, 123 members
- FlickrCentral 8,493,029 photos, 230,052 members
- Union Pacific Fans 23,639 photos, 786 members
- Illinois Flickrjournal 84,754 photos, 1,687 members
- The Illinois [directory] ! 68,633 photos, 1,818 members
- Railfanning the Chicagoland Suburbs 15,346 photos, 119 members
- Chicago Rails 28,409 photos, 1,030 members
- Chicagoland 57,215 photos, 939 members
- UP/Metra Commuter Lines 1,023 photos, 80 members
- WBEZ 129,231 photos, 2,428 members
- UP Geneva Subdivision 3,372 photos, 127 members
- Metra 8,503 photos, 313 members
- Around Town - Wheaton, Illinois 1,297 photos, 72 members
"Well, this testimonial is most certainly long overdue.
Carl's photography demonstrates skill, ingenuity, sensitivity and is often sprinkled with a sharp sense of humor. His work is rarely accompanied with a back-story, preferring to let the images and titles speak for themselves...and they speak volumes.
Carl's popularity within the Flickr community is also clearly evident through the level of support he both receives from, and gives to, his fellow photographers. His comments are always insightful, sharp, witty and invariably laced with a pun or two for good measure. Carl's comments are among those that I personally enjoy the most.
Carl is a real gentleman, a supportive friend and one of Flickr's truly great characters. Thank you Carl."
June 24th, 2014
Anne ღ says:
"Every once in a long long while you might come across someone on flickr (as in life) that has the same effect on you as first sunshine on a Spring morning. Can`t remember who added who, but I recall receiving a note soon after thanking me and looking forward to future contact. I remember thinking, what a perfect gentleman. To be a part of Carls flickr world is something I regard as a joy..... He is such an honourable, honest, reliable and upstanding person: he shows regard and respect for everyone. This takes no effort, it is how he is. Possessed with a great sense of humour and the gentlest nature, a joy to know.
On the photography side, to view his pictures is always a pleasure: he can and does handle a cool variety of subjects, (high on the list his fondness of trains) bringing an everyday scene to life with expressive compositions and tones.
Proud to be your friend Carl, total appreciation from me:-)"
March 31st, 2014
"Carl has a really great photostream with nice mix of photos that inspire me and many other flickr users he always has a nice things to say and I look forward to his next upload"
March 6th, 2014
Ruby Ferreira ® says:
"Hi, Carl... was very nice to meet you here.
you're an excellent PHOTOGRAPHER and your pics are inspiration for us. like your specific vision of the BEAUTY.
Congratulations... YOUR STREAM is incredible!!!!
we see around
Brazilian friend, Ruby."
November 6th, 2013
- Carlton Holls
- March 2007
- Williamsville, New York
- Wheaton, Illinois, United States
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- chollsjr [at] gmail.com