Anyone that actually reads this - I will be confined to home for a while helping my wife beat breast cancer. I won't have many new hiking photos. [update] She caught it early, the surgery was successful and she is having a good recovery. So I got permission to get back out on the trail.
View on HiveMind
I love to hike, backpack and camp all over Arizona especially the Grand Canyon and the Superstition Wilderness. Now that I'm an old fart I take a camera with me to use as a excuse for unscheduled stops. I'm a 4th generation Arizonan (rare for someone as old as me). My family has been in AZ over 3 centuries. I love documenting in photos the Arizona that I've known and that I see disappearing.
For an old man, I'm still a pretty fair hiker. With the advent of digital photography and the diminution of my hiking skills with age, I've started to shoot some snapshots. If I could still hike like I once could, I wouldn't use a camera as an excuse to slow down. Toby Keith's lyrics pretty much sum me up: "I ain't as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was." I do hope you like my photos. I take more pride in backcountry skills & "finds" than I do in photos. If that makes me a heretic on a photo site, well - it is what it is. Just heard a new one I like - My Best Days are Ahead of Me by Danny Gokey idolblips.showhype.com/video/danny-gokey-new-music-my-bes...
Sometimes I go on vacation with my wife and family. I include those photos so that I'm not just a "one note" photographer. Flickr is helping me to improve and is increasing my creative & visual vocabularies.
Just being alive at my age is my first hobby. Hiking is my second hobby, photography my third and Flickr my fourth. Please be patient with me if I miss some of your exquisite photos. Flickr is "hit or miss" as my time, nursing staff, "mental attentiveness" and schedule permit.
I appreciate and value my Flickr contacts. I choose Contacts for various reasons: I admire the content of your photos, I admire your vision and artistry, I admire your technical skills, and/or I admire your sense of humor as revealed in your photos. I find that I derive much more pleasure and knowledge from my Contacts than from Groups.
I'm a CPA for a Private Real Estate Group so work consumes my life between 2/15 to 4/15 and then again when extended returns are due between 9/1 and 10/15.
I appreciate invites, but please forgive me if I don't accept them all. There are many fine groups on Flickr, many of which are similar to other groups. I belong to special theme groups and to groups in which I enjoy being active. I prefer not to belong to groups that require me to fave a dozen for every photo I post. If you enjoy that, I understand and support your right to those groups. But there are only so many groups a person can handle and I am approaching my limit.
Article VI: I will never forget that I am an American, responsible for my actions, and dedicated to the principles which made my country free. I will trust in my God and in the United States of America.
Please pick up your copy here for display on your profile.
---|||-- -|||---profile if
---|||-- -|||---you know
-----\\\///-----who is living with, survived
------///\-----or has passed away from
Photos of Al_HikesAZ (4)
- Arizona Historic Markers 29 photos, 2 members
- Reform Judaism 534 photos, 36 members
- Un-enhanced American West 59,716 photos, 1,602 members
- Trails and Campgrounds 85 photos, 6 members
- Naturalight 29,844 photos, 1,473 members
- MONUMENT 64,880 photos, 2,325 members
- MOUNTAIN 172,848 photos, 12,777 members
- • JUDAISM ✡ יהדות • Comment / Award please • 6,437 photos, 220 members
- Mushroom Anatomy 101 32,109 photos, 2,067 members
- Mushrooms, Fungus, Moss and Molds of North America(free to join) 13,297 photos, 1,571 members
- Mushrooms, fungi - Houby 39,935 photos, 4,212 members
- Colorado! 131,531 photos, 5,889 members
- Sky Islands 4,253 photos, 82 members
- Architect: Mary Elizabeth Jane Colter 390 photos, 51 members
- Parks & Recreation Equipment 314 photos, 35 members
- SOG Knives 398 photos, 204 members
- CCC Architecture 1,959 photos, 157 members
- Simply Flowers (CONTEST: JUST OPENING) 86,007 photos, 4,032 members
- Glorious Skies 12,962 photos, 669 members
- Aesthetics of Food 82,644 photos, 1,855 members
- Food+Photography 16,459 photos, 428 members
- Culinary Art & Gourmet Tastes 68,782 photos, 2,129 members
- Food and Drink 38,464 photos, 1,027 members
- Parkitecture: Unique Architecture of National and Other Parks 6,639 photos, 331 members
- Red!Blue!!Yellow! together 25,846 photos, 3,063 members
- Bryce Canyon National Park 12,651 photos, 2,098 members
- Zion National Park 15,299 photos, 1,952 members
- Stars of David around the world (jewish stars) 1,963 photos, 307 members
- Jewish 5,672 photos, 378 members
- Your Very Best 97,369 photos, 2,686 members
- Salt Lake City 20,135 photos, 1,434 members
- Utah 83,124 photos, 4,325 members
- Project Weather 628,682 photos, 93,326 members
- Exotic Cocktails and Tiki Mugs 919 photos, 130 members
- San Francisco Peaks 1,106 photos, 51 members
- CLASSY BOOZE PICS ONLY !! 9,975 photos, 1,831 members
- Route 66 in Arizona: Don't Forget Winona! 3,790 photos, 263 members
- Western Style (American West) Scenery 2,108 photos, 46 members
- Vita-Mix Love 306 photos, 73 members
- Vitamix Creations 116 photos, 27 members
- Trail300 14 photos, 4 members
- Geotagged: Arizona 4,687 photos, 111 members
- Photographers' Rights. 218 photos, 3,596 members
- United States Forest Service (USFS) 2,544 photos, 259 members
- Native America 10,845 photos, 878 members
- Structural Artists 8,446 photos, 1,192 members
- USMC in Action 972 photos, 144 members
- Books, Books, Books 3,677 photos, 917 members
- AZphotographers 86 photos, 4 members
- Trails.com 390 photos, 170 members
- PAC 12 Emblems 11 photos
- Judaism 17 photos
- Owls 2 5 photos
- Owls 18 photos
- Phantom Ranch II 18 photos
- Arizona Historic Cabins 15 photos
- Benovia Winery - Russian River - Sonoma California 18 photos
- Rodeo Clowns 17 photos
- Bichon Frise 16 photos
- PAC 12 Mascots 16 photos
- Arizona Leaf footed bug 3 photos
- Arizona Bugs & Beetles 16 photos
- Chinaco Tequila 10 photos
- Gran Centenario Tequila 18 photos
- Partida Tequila 18 photos
- Herradura Tequila 17 photos
- Arizona Sunsets 12 photos
- Redwood Forests 5 photos
- Grand Canyon Flora 12 photos
- Arlington National Cemetery 13 photos
- Toroweap - Tuweap 9 photos
- Royal Arch - Grand Canyon 12 photos
- Cheyava Falls - Clear Creek 4 photos
- AZRA Rafting 10 photos
- Arizona - things that moved 14 photos
- Trader Vic's 18 photos
- Stanford University 18 photos
- Phantom Ranch - Grand Canyon National Park 17 photos
- Tlaquepaque Sedona Arizona 12 photos
"Al has more energy than any ten people I know. His photos wear me out just imagining what it took for him to get to those places. Arizona is mostly desert but most people don't realize the average elevation is fairly high and that makes hiking much more difficult. Al's photos are beautiful, inspiring and unique. My wife and I look forward to his continuing adventures.
Jerry and Jill"
December 30th, 2007
" I love looking at Al's pictures; especially the ones in Arizona. He takes the time to put some history and a story behind every picture. They are all top quality pictures and worth the repeated "second look." I only have one problem. I also live in Arizona and it is already too crowded here. Do you work the the Chamber of Commerce on the side? Just kidding......... keep up the good work!"
May 13th, 2007
"Alan has constantly shown me the Arizona I never knew. His vivid perspective has captured my imagination and the quality of his pics is above and beyond what I have seen on Flickr. Take your time and check out "the smallest details". I look forward to the next upload."
April 15th, 2007
- March 2007
- Naval Air Stations CONUS
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Survival with Honor