Anyone that actually reads this - I will be confined to home for a while helping my wife beat breast cancer. I won't have many new hiking photos. [update] She caught it early, the surgery was successful and she is having a good recovery. So I got permission to get back out on the trail.
View on HiveMind
I love to hike, backpack and camp all over Arizona especially the Grand Canyon and the Superstition Wilderness. Now that I'm an old fart I take a camera with me to use as a excuse for unscheduled stops. I'm a 4th generation Arizonan (rare for someone as old as me). My family has been in AZ over 3 centuries. I love documenting in photos the Arizona that I've known and that I see disappearing.
For an old man, I'm still a pretty fair hiker. With the advent of digital photography and the diminution of my hiking skills with age, I've started to shoot some snapshots. If I could still hike like I once could, I wouldn't use a camera as an excuse to slow down. Toby Keith's lyrics pretty much sum me up: "I ain't as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was." I do hope you like my photos. I take more pride in backcountry skills & "finds" than I do in photos. If that makes me a heretic on a photo site, well - it is what it is. Just heard a new one I like - My Best Days are Ahead of Me by Danny Gokey idolblips.showhype.com/video/danny-gokey-new-music-my-bes...
Sometimes I go on vacation with my wife and family. I include those photos so that I'm not just a "one note" photographer. Flickr is helping me to improve and is increasing my creative & visual vocabularies.
Just being alive at my age is my first hobby. Hiking is my second hobby, photography my third and Flickr my fourth. Please be patient with me if I miss some of your exquisite photos. Flickr is "hit or miss" as my time, nursing staff, "mental attentiveness" and schedule permit.
I appreciate and value my Flickr contacts. I choose Contacts for various reasons: I admire the content of your photos, I admire your vision and artistry, I admire your technical skills, and/or I admire your sense of humor as revealed in your photos. I find that I derive much more pleasure and knowledge from my Contacts than from Groups.
I'm a CPA for a Private Real Estate Group so work consumes my life between 2/15 to 4/15 and then again when extended returns are due between 9/1 and 10/15.
I appreciate invites, but please forgive me if I don't accept them all. There are many fine groups on Flickr, many of which are similar to other groups. I belong to special theme groups and to groups in which I enjoy being active. I prefer not to belong to groups that require me to fave a dozen for every photo I post. If you enjoy that, I understand and support your right to those groups. But there are only so many groups a person can handle and I am approaching my limit.
Article VI: I will never forget that I am an American, responsible for my actions, and dedicated to the principles which made my country free. I will trust in my God and in the United States of America.
Please pick up your copy here for display on your profile.
---|||-- -|||---profile if
---|||-- -|||---you know
-----\\\///-----who is living with, survived
------///\-----or has passed away from
Photos of Al_HikesAZ (4)
- Arizona Historic Markers 28 photos, 2 members
- Reform Judaism 535 photos, 37 members
- Un-enhanced American West 34,249 photos, 1,217 members
- Trails and Campgrounds 69 photos, 4 members
- Naturalight 26,807 photos, 1,501 members
- MONUMENT 43,609 photos, 2,406 members
- MOUNTAIN 89,233 photos, 8,925 members
- • JUDAISM ✡ יהדות • Comment / Award please • 2,576 photos, 214 members
- Mushroom Anatomy 101 21,808 photos, 1,918 members
- Mushrooms, Fungus, Moss and Molds of North America(free to join) 10,182 photos, 1,274 members
- Mushrooms, fungi - Houby 24,111 photos, 3,265 members
- Colorado! 120,557 photos, 5,655 members
- Sky Islands 3,578 photos, 79 members
- Architect: Mary Elizabeth Jane Colter 387 photos, 47 members
- Parks & Recreation Equipment 297 photos, 26 members
- SOG Knives 390 photos, 202 members
- CCC Architecture 1,779 photos, 149 members
- Simply Flowers (CONTEST = BULBS) 68,224 photos, 3,562 members
- Glorious Skies 11,451 photos, 676 members
- Aesthetics of Food 78,177 photos, 1,790 members
- Food+Photography 11,380 photos, 368 members
- Culinary Art & Gourmet Tastes 66,046 photos, 2,068 members
- Food and Drink 32,712 photos, 994 members
- Parkitecture: Unique Architecture of National and Other Parks 4,800 photos, 301 members
- Red!Blue!!Yellow! together 23,353 photos, 3,008 members
- Bryce Canyon National Park 11,359 photos, 1,899 members
- Zion National Park 13,335 photos, 1,750 members
- Stars of David around the world (jewish stars) 1,893 photos, 304 members
- Jewish 4,896 photos, 351 members
- Your Very Best 73,628 photos, 2,445 members
- Salt Lake City 18,978 photos, 1,416 members
- Utah 74,305 photos, 3,920 members
- Project Weather 643,495 photos, 93,948 members
- Exotic Cocktails and Tiki Mugs 850 photos, 118 members
- San Francisco Peaks 1,096 photos, 38 members
- CLASSY BOOZE PICS ONLY !! 9,576 photos, 1,775 members
- Route 66 in Arizona: Don't Forget Winona! 2,681 photos, 205 members
- Western Style (American West) Scenery 1,814 photos, 41 members
- Vita-Mix Love 257 photos, 65 members
- Vitamix Creations 117 photos, 27 members
- Trail300 14 photos, 4 members
- Geotagged: Arizona 2,677 photos, 82 members
- Photographers' Rights. 225 photos, 3,647 members
- United States Forest Service (USFS) 2,320 photos, 210 members
- Native America 10,224 photos, 847 members
- Structural Artists 8,159 photos, 1,189 members
- USMC in Action 850 photos, 118 members
- Books, Books, Books 3,712 photos, 921 members
- AZphotographers 86 photos, 4 members
- Trails.com 360 photos, 148 members
"Al has more energy than any ten people I know. His photos wear me out just imagining what it took for him to get to those places. Arizona is mostly desert but most people don't realize the average elevation is fairly high and that makes hiking much more difficult. Al's photos are beautiful, inspiring and unique. My wife and I look forward to his continuing adventures.
Jerry and Jill"
December 30th, 2007
" I love looking at Al's pictures; especially the ones in Arizona. He takes the time to put some history and a story behind every picture. They are all top quality pictures and worth the repeated "second look." I only have one problem. I also live in Arizona and it is already too crowded here. Do you work the the Chamber of Commerce on the side? Just kidding......... keep up the good work!"
May 13th, 2007
"Alan has constantly shown me the Arizona I never knew. His vivid perspective has captured my imagination and the quality of his pics is above and beyond what I have seen on Flickr. Take your time and check out "the smallest details". I look forward to the next upload."
April 15th, 2007
- March 2007
- Naval Air Stations CONUS
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Survival with Honor