Anyone that actually reads this - I will be confined to home for a while helping my wife beat breast cancer. I won't have many new hiking photos. [update] She caught it early, the surgery was successful and she is having a good recovery. So I got permission to get back out on the trail.
View on HiveMind
I love to hike, backpack and camp all over Arizona especially the Grand Canyon and the Superstition Wilderness. Now that I'm an old fart I take a camera with me to use as a excuse for unscheduled stops. I'm a 4th generation Arizonan (rare for someone as old as me). My family has been in AZ over 3 centuries. I love documenting in photos the Arizona that I've known and that I see disappearing.
For an old man, I'm still a pretty fair hiker. With the advent of digital photography and the diminution of my hiking skills with age, I've started to shoot some snapshots. If I could still hike like I once could, I wouldn't use a camera as an excuse to slow down. Toby Keith's lyrics pretty much sum me up: "I ain't as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was." I do hope you like my photos. I take more pride in backcountry skills & "finds" than I do in photos. If that makes me a heretic on a photo site, well - it is what it is. Just heard a new one I like - My Best Days are Ahead of Me by Danny Gokey idolblips.showhype.com/video/danny-gokey-new-music-my-bes...
Sometimes I go on vacation with my wife and family. I include those photos so that I'm not just a "one note" photographer. Flickr is helping me to improve and is increasing my creative & visual vocabularies.
Just being alive at my age is my first hobby. Hiking is my second hobby, photography my third and Flickr my fourth. Please be patient with me if I miss some of your exquisite photos. Flickr is "hit or miss" as my time, nursing staff, "mental attentiveness" and schedule permit.
I appreciate and value my Flickr contacts. I choose Contacts for various reasons: I admire the content of your photos, I admire your vision and artistry, I admire your technical skills, and/or I admire your sense of humor as revealed in your photos. I find that I derive much more pleasure and knowledge from my Contacts than from Groups.
I'm a CPA for a Private Real Estate Group so work consumes my life between 2/15 to 4/15 and then again when extended returns are due between 9/1 and 10/15.
I appreciate invites, but please forgive me if I don't accept them all. There are many fine groups on Flickr, many of which are similar to other groups. I belong to special theme groups and to groups in which I enjoy being active. I prefer not to belong to groups that require me to fave a dozen for every photo I post. If you enjoy that, I understand and support your right to those groups. But there are only so many groups a person can handle and I am approaching my limit.
Article VI: I will never forget that I am an American, responsible for my actions, and dedicated to the principles which made my country free. I will trust in my God and in the United States of America.
Please pick up your copy here for display on your profile.
---|||-- -|||---profile if
---|||-- -|||---you know
-----\\\///-----who is living with, survived
------///\-----or has passed away from
Photos of Al_HikesAZ (4)
- Arizona Historic Markers 28 photos, 2 members
- Reform Judaism 535 photos, 37 members
- Un-enhanced American West 31,785 photos, 1,172 members
- Trails and Campgrounds 69 photos, 4 members
- Naturalight 26,721 photos, 1,502 members
- MONUMENT 41,015 photos, 2,399 members
- MOUNTAIN 79,531 photos, 8,093 members
- • JUDAISM ✡ יהדות • Comment / Award please • 2,570 photos, 212 members
- Mushroom Anatomy 101 20,998 photos, 1,895 members
- Mushrooms, Fungus, Moss and Molds of North America(free to join) 9,679 photos, 1,233 members
- Mushrooms, fungi - Houby 22,568 photos, 3,109 members
- Colorado! 118,793 photos, 5,609 members
- Sky Islands 3,537 photos, 79 members
- Architect: Mary Elizabeth Jane Colter 386 photos, 47 members
- Parks & Recreation Equipment 290 photos, 24 members
- SOG Knives 389 photos, 203 members
- CCC Architecture 1,767 photos, 148 members
- Simply Flowers (next contest to start coming friday) 66,517 photos, 3,485 members
- Glorious Skies 11,298 photos, 674 members
- Aesthetics of Food 77,819 photos, 1,784 members
- Food+Photography 11,231 photos, 365 members
- Culinary Art & Gourmet Tastes 65,511 photos, 2,060 members
- Food and Drink 32,549 photos, 993 members
- Parkitecture: Unique Architecture of National and Other Parks 4,648 photos, 299 members
- Red!Blue!!Yellow! together 23,162 photos, 3,008 members
- Bryce Canyon National Park 11,233 photos, 1,871 members
- Zion National Park 13,199 photos, 1,722 members
- Stars of David around the world (jewish stars) 1,888 photos, 301 members
- Jewish 4,828 photos, 349 members
- Your Very Best 71,097 photos, 2,395 members
- Salt Lake City 18,900 photos, 1,411 members
- Utah 73,060 photos, 3,870 members
- Project Weather 644,327 photos, 93,834 members
- Exotic Cocktails and Tiki Mugs 843 photos, 116 members
- San Francisco Peaks 1,083 photos, 34 members
- CLASSY BOOZE PICS ONLY !! 9,524 photos, 1,771 members
- Route 66 in Arizona: Don't Forget Winona! 2,620 photos, 197 members
- Western Style (American West) Scenery 1,745 photos, 39 members
- Vita-Mix Love 257 photos, 66 members
- Vitamix Creations 117 photos, 27 members
- Trail300 14 photos, 3 members
- Geotagged: Arizona 2,540 photos, 75 members
- Photographers' Rights. 224 photos, 3,651 members
- United States Forest Service (USFS) 2,351 photos, 205 members
- Native America 10,081 photos, 846 members
- Structural Artists 8,121 photos, 1,189 members
- USMC in Action 845 photos, 112 members
- Books, Books, Books 3,719 photos, 921 members
- AZphotographers 86 photos, 4 members
- Trails.com 360 photos, 143 members
"Al has more energy than any ten people I know. His photos wear me out just imagining what it took for him to get to those places. Arizona is mostly desert but most people don't realize the average elevation is fairly high and that makes hiking much more difficult. Al's photos are beautiful, inspiring and unique. My wife and I look forward to his continuing adventures.
Jerry and Jill"
December 30th, 2007
" I love looking at Al's pictures; especially the ones in Arizona. He takes the time to put some history and a story behind every picture. They are all top quality pictures and worth the repeated "second look." I only have one problem. I also live in Arizona and it is already too crowded here. Do you work the the Chamber of Commerce on the side? Just kidding......... keep up the good work!"
May 13th, 2007
"Alan has constantly shown me the Arizona I never knew. His vivid perspective has captured my imagination and the quality of his pics is above and beyond what I have seen on Flickr. Take your time and check out "the smallest details". I look forward to the next upload."
April 15th, 2007
- March 2007
- Naval Air Stations CONUS
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Survival with Honor