Anyone that actually reads this - I will be confined to home for a while helping my wife beat breast cancer. I won't have many new hiking photos. [update] She caught it early, the surgery was successful and she is having a good recovery. So I got permission to get back out on the trail.
View on HiveMind
I love to hike, backpack and camp all over Arizona especially the Grand Canyon and the Superstition Wilderness. Now that I'm an old fart I take a camera with me to use as a excuse for unscheduled stops. I'm a 4th generation Arizonan (rare for someone as old as me). My family has been in AZ over 3 centuries. I love documenting in photos the Arizona that I've known and that I see disappearing.
For an old man, I'm still a pretty fair hiker. With the advent of digital photography and the diminution of my hiking skills with age, I've started to shoot some snapshots. If I could still hike like I once could, I wouldn't use a camera as an excuse to slow down. Toby Keith's lyrics pretty much sum me up: "I ain't as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was." I do hope you like my photos. I take more pride in backcountry skills & "finds" than I do in photos. If that makes me a heretic on a photo site, well - it is what it is. Just heard a new one I like - My Best Days are Ahead of Me by Danny Gokey idolblips.showhype.com/video/danny-gokey-new-music-my-bes...
Sometimes I go on vacation with my wife and family. I include those photos so that I'm not just a "one note" photographer. Flickr is helping me to improve and is increasing my creative & visual vocabularies.
Just being alive at my age is my first hobby. Hiking is my second hobby, photography my third and Flickr my fourth. Please be patient with me if I miss some of your exquisite photos. Flickr is "hit or miss" as my time, nursing staff, "mental attentiveness" and schedule permit.
I appreciate and value my Flickr contacts. I choose Contacts for various reasons: I admire the content of your photos, I admire your vision and artistry, I admire your technical skills, and/or I admire your sense of humor as revealed in your photos. I find that I derive much more pleasure and knowledge from my Contacts than from Groups.
I'm a CPA for a Private Real Estate Group so work consumes my life between 2/15 to 4/15 and then again when extended returns are due between 9/1 and 10/15.
I appreciate invites, but please forgive me if I don't accept them all. There are many fine groups on Flickr, many of which are similar to other groups. I belong to special theme groups and to groups in which I enjoy being active. I prefer not to belong to groups that require me to fave a dozen for every photo I post. If you enjoy that, I understand and support your right to those groups. But there are only so many groups a person can handle and I am approaching my limit.
Article VI: I will never forget that I am an American, responsible for my actions, and dedicated to the principles which made my country free. I will trust in my God and in the United States of America.
Please pick up your copy here for display on your profile.
---|||-- -|||---profile if
---|||-- -|||---you know
-----\\\///-----who is living with, survived
------///\-----or has passed away from
Photos of Al_HikesAZ (4)
- Arizona Historic Markers 28 photos, 2 members
- Reform Judaism 535 photos, 37 members
- Un-enhanced American West 30,462 photos, 1,131 members
- Trails and Campgrounds 69 photos, 4 members
- Naturalight 26,695 photos, 1,502 members
- MONUMENT 39,606 photos, 2,398 members
- MOUNTAIN 74,032 photos, 7,671 members
- • JUDAISM ✡ יהדות • Comment / Award please • 2,545 photos, 213 members
- Mushroom Anatomy 101 20,605 photos, 1,886 members
- Mushrooms, Fungus, Moss and Molds of North America(free to join) 9,498 photos, 1,218 members
- Mushrooms, fungi - Houby 22,062 photos, 3,060 members
- Colorado! 117,965 photos, 5,586 members
- Sky Islands 3,513 photos, 77 members
- Architect: Mary Elizabeth Jane Colter 386 photos, 47 members
- Parks & Recreation Equipment 288 photos, 24 members
- SOG Knives 388 photos, 203 members
- CCC Architecture 1,774 photos, 148 members
- Simply Flowers (CONTEST = POND FLOWERS) 65,347 photos, 3,412 members
- Glorious Skies 11,129 photos, 671 members
- Aesthetics of Food 77,513 photos, 1,776 members
- Food+Photography 11,137 photos, 364 members
- Culinary Art & Gourmet Tastes 65,268 photos, 2,055 members
- Food and Drink 32,399 photos, 989 members
- Parkitecture: Unique Architecture of National and Other Parks 4,589 photos, 297 members
- Red!Blue!!Yellow! together 23,583 photos, 3,005 members
- Bryce Canyon National Park 11,191 photos, 1,864 members
- Zion National Park 13,149 photos, 1,707 members
- Stars of David around the world (jewish stars) 1,875 photos, 300 members
- Jewish 4,804 photos, 350 members
- Your Very Best 69,629 photos, 2,375 members
- Salt Lake City 18,850 photos, 1,412 members
- Utah 72,707 photos, 3,853 members
- Project Weather 645,114 photos, 93,687 members
- Exotic Cocktails and Tiki Mugs 841 photos, 116 members
- San Francisco Peaks 1,083 photos, 33 members
- CLASSY BOOZE PICS ONLY !! 9,488 photos, 1,767 members
- Route 66 in Arizona: Don't Forget Winona! 2,604 photos, 196 members
- Western Style (American West) Scenery 1,717 photos, 39 members
- Vita-Mix Love 257 photos, 67 members
- Vitamix Creations 117 photos, 27 members
- Trail300 14 photos, 3 members
- Geotagged: Arizona 2,492 photos, 74 members
- Photographers' Rights. 224 photos, 3,651 members
- United States Forest Service (USFS) 2,323 photos, 204 members
- Native America 9,828 photos, 847 members
- Structural Artists 8,117 photos, 1,188 members
- USMC in Action 842 photos, 110 members
- Books, Books, Books 3,720 photos, 921 members
- AZphotographers 86 photos, 4 members
- Trails.com 360 photos, 143 members
"Al has more energy than any ten people I know. His photos wear me out just imagining what it took for him to get to those places. Arizona is mostly desert but most people don't realize the average elevation is fairly high and that makes hiking much more difficult. Al's photos are beautiful, inspiring and unique. My wife and I look forward to his continuing adventures.
Jerry and Jill"
December 30th, 2007
" I love looking at Al's pictures; especially the ones in Arizona. He takes the time to put some history and a story behind every picture. They are all top quality pictures and worth the repeated "second look." I only have one problem. I also live in Arizona and it is already too crowded here. Do you work the the Chamber of Commerce on the side? Just kidding......... keep up the good work!"
May 13th, 2007
"Alan has constantly shown me the Arizona I never knew. His vivid perspective has captured my imagination and the quality of his pics is above and beyond what I have seen on Flickr. Take your time and check out "the smallest details". I look forward to the next upload."
April 15th, 2007
- March 2007
- Naval Air Stations CONUS
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Survival with Honor