Really pleased I found Flickr, I Love taking photos, Planning photo projects, and looking at other photographers work.
I always welcome comments, but not keen on 'seen in' or 'awards' logos
l have always carried a camera, from my early teens I have been interested in nature and wildlife photography.
Born and brought up by the sea in Sussex, I spent my youth beach combing or walking along the South Downs. From an early age, I’ve been interested in the natural world and spent many hours rock pooling, snorkelling or just off walking. I’ve always been passionate about wildlife and wildlife photography.
My first camera was a Kodak Instamatic and as well as trying to take wildlife photos, I used a camera to make a photo diary. In my teens, I took up sport diving which led onto a profession as a commercial diver. This was the perfect job for me. I love the outdoors, the adventure and the risks, using a chain saw under water in zero visibility, helping to set explosives or diving under frigates in portsmouth navy base. I did get the chance to do some underwater photography, although it was mostly oil pipelines on the North Sea.
From my diving, I had a career move into farming and studied farming and farm management at agricultural college. It was more like applied business studies and put me in good stead for my future in business. While at college, I started making rope halters for the college farm. I had picked up the ropeworks skills while diving and this gave me the chance to earn some money while at college.
After leaving college, I worked on a farm milking a herd of Guernsey’s and also started a rope business attending agricultural shows and supplying pet trade wholesalers with rope dog leads. The range of products increased including regular contracts from Westland Helicopters to make safety ropes for Sea King helicopters.
I moved down to Devon in 89, married and had 2 daughters now in their teens. To them, it’s always been a natural thing that their dad goes off early in the morning or at night with a giant rucksack.
Through my varied careers, I’ve always had a camera with me and found time to get out and take pictures, usually hiding under old army surplus camouflage nets. I knew there should be something better for wildlife photographers to use and in 1992 I set up Wildlife Watching Supplies. I’m always brimming with ideas and projects and the new company soon got a name for its designs and its range.
Over the 20 years, Wildlife Watching Supplies has become a leading supplier of camouflage products. As well as wildlife photographers and film makers, we also supply the military and security forces.
To me, getting out into the woods or going down to the hide is a great way to relax. I spend many hours out with my camera often at night , looking up at the stars, listening to the tawny owls and if I’m lucky the local badgers will come to visit. I also love photographing a sunrise and the early morning activity of the Kingfisher or Red deer - difficult to do them all together!!, but if the weather / season is right I give it a go.
I can highly recommend it. Kevin
2017 Update, Daughters now in there 20's, running wildlifewatchingsupplies.com for 25 years and still going strong and I've always got a few projects on the go, tawny owls, butterflies, landscapes and all things nature.
Photos of Kevin Keatley1 (2)
- NIKON NIKKOR 300mm f/4E PF ED VR 7,267 photos, 494 members
- Magic Cornwall 31,997 photos, 936 members
- Cornwall 124,455 photos, 5,685 members
- National Trust 89,743 photos, 5,849 members
- Flickr Addicts 9,391,539 photos, 132,784 members
- FlickrCentral 9,308,306 photos, 276,695 members
- UK Tawny Owls 349 photos, 43 members
- Nature TTL - Nature Photographs 29,757 photos, 463 members
- North Devon and Exmoor 628 photos, 34 members
- The Wonderful Wildlife UK 47,260 photos, 469 members
- Just Robins 7,541 photos, 828 members
- ANCIENT RELICS 132,113 photos, 4,480 members
- It's a Birder's World 59,293 photos, 661 members
- COAST. 131,997 photos, 2,722 members
- Your Best Shot 2013 10,728 photos, 13,046 members
- fungi 101,829 photos, 8,622 members
- PBWA (Photography by Wandering About) 176,378 photos, 1,743 members
- nature and photography 1,820,973 photos, 78,864 members
- * Wonderful World of Wildlife * 497,600 photos, 6,533 members
- TAUNTON AND WEST CAMERA CLUB 16,218 photos, 234 members
- Wildlife and Landscape Photography 159,053 photos, 1,631 members
- Dusty Road Photography 40,628 photos, 1,016 members
- All Kingfishers 27,614 photos, 2,753 members
- Kingfishers UK 9,120 photos, 801 members
- Exmoor 9,413 photos, 545 members
- Devon Wildlife 13,660 photos, 385 members
- BBC Summerwatch (Official) 232,970 photos, 8,786 members
- Friends of the Badger Unite! 1,525 photos, 108 members
- Wildlife (Animals) Unlimited 244,362 photos, 3,698 members
- NATURE'S BEST 1,513,147 photos, 30,242 members
- Badger meles meles 326 photos, 16 members
- Wild Owls 11,807 photos, 836 members
- Mad about Owls / Birds of prey 44,088 photos, 1,671 members
- Badgers! 3,497 photos, 478 members
- The Bluebells Photo Group 10,018 photos, 1,798 members
- Wildscreen Arkive 143,651 photos, 1,639 members
- Hedgerow wildlife in Britain and Ireland 18,089 photos, 208 members
- The British Countryside 503,830 photos, 9,468 members
- Wildlife camera traps 996 photos, 126 members
- NATURE Pure and Beautiful 69,714 photos, 4,262 members
- Countryfile 667,517 photos, 7,109 members
- The Nature's Best Wildlife Group. 50,861 photos, 908 members
- Nikon DSLR Users 2,094,640 photos, 56,989 members
- Garden Birds UK 58,627 photos, 2,074 members
- British Mammals 33,760 photos, 992 members
- Mustelids 2,060 photos, 201 members
- Birds , Birds Birds 1,412,431 photos, 35,921 members
- South West England Wildlife 69,005 photos, 928 members
- UK - Wildlife & Nature 373,249 photos, 5,918 members
- Woodpeckers 17,996 photos, 2,098 members
"As a long time contact of Kevin's, I can honestly say I have come to appreciate his very appealing photographic Nature portfolio. Trust it keeps you enthralled too."
December 17th, 2014
- Kevin Keatley
- May 2011
- Tiverton, Devon
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- MD Wildlife Watching Supplies
- wildlife watching supplies