“To me, photography is an art of observation. It’s about finding something interesting in an ordinary place… I’ve found it has little to do with the things you see and everything to do with the way you see them.” –Elliott Erwitt
Hi, and welcome to my Flickr stream.
My name is Will and I am a photographer based in Northamptonshire here in the UK.
Like most people who have a creative interest and harbour a deep seated need to explore the bounds of that creativity, as a photographer I like to stretch my photographic muscles in any way that I can, taking any opportunity that arises or, most often, create my own.
I strive constantly to improve in my work, to get better with every click of the shutter, to make the inevitable mistakes, to move through and learn from those mistakes, to repeat, repeat, repeat….. and, at the end of the day, just enjoy the process and have some fun with it all.
Likes and followers, comments and critiques – totally overrated in my opinion and not worth chasing, and there are (increasingly) an awful lot of people who do chase such things and think that it matters. Go knock yourself out if that’s your thing: do whatever makes you happy I say. Don’t get me wrong. I appreciate people taking the time to look/like/favourite my images. If it resonates with anyone else then that’s totally cool with me and I will always take the time to respond in kind.
My work is, well, my work. It might not be what other people like but that’s sure as hell not my motivation for being here on Flickr. Me? I’ll continue to take my own time, beat my own path and enjoy my own journey doing what nurtures and satisfies me. It’s like Eric Kim rightly states:
“Go shoot for yourself; make work that appeals and satisfies you; brings pleasure and resonates with you. Nobody gives a f*ck about your art (photography) except you, and that’s exactly as it should be.”
Wise words indeed: you should take the time to familiarise yourself with his excellent blog. Always lots of great articles to help you stay positive and motivated in your chosen craft, whatever that may be.
So what resonates with me and what do I like to shoot?
This is what you’ll find in my photostream:
Portraiture – I really enjoy shooting people and am constantly trying to improve how I engage with my subjects, interact with them, make them feel comfortable in front of the lens and present them in the best, most flattering or appropriate light possible.
Lighting – goes hand-in-hand with the above and, let’s face it, there wouldn’t be an image without it. Off camera flash; on camera bounce flash; natural light – learning how to best use and apply these three techniques is a real passion for me and constantly pushes me to improve my photography: one pixel at a time!
Street photography – A fairly recent draw and it’s fast becoming a new passion for me. I’ve always been a keen observer of people, at work, at play or just being, well, themselves. Wandering the streets with a clear mind, a camera in hand and no preconceived notions of what you’ll find, all make for an interesting challenge to create something from nothing. Great fun and worth it just to improve your observational skills of subject, composition and lighting alone. If storytelling is your thing then on the streets is where you’ll find it.
Abstraction – Lines, colours, textures, humour, light, shade, silhouette, shadows. Whatever grabs my attention, and if I can create an interesting composition from it and present it in an interesting way, it goes here or on my Instagram feed.
Landscapes and nature – Both present their own unique challenges but if I find myself in the right place, at the right time and with the right lighting: I’ll shoot it if it moves me in some way.
And that’s it really.
If you are local to me and would be interested in collaborating on a shoot, having some images taken for yourself or a loved one or just want to shoot the breeze: let me know or leave me a message.
If you care to do so then check out my website listed here to see some of my favourite images taken recently.
Have a great day!
- Streets In The City 707,364 photos, 19,289 members
- The Street Photography Community 1,343,260 photos, 47,248 members
- Celebrating Traditional Photography 10,425 photos, 196 members
- The best of world picture 1,524,974 photos, 32,537 members
- Alleys, streets and the human factor. 30,016 photos, 765 members
- Art of Monochrome 169,230 photos, 3,424 members
- authentic street 26,559 photos, 719 members
- Oh the Humanity 27,258 photos, 2,649 members
- Skancheli (BlackandWhite Only) 92,761 photos, 8,527 members
- Fujiholics Galleries 6,830 photos, 248 members
- Fuji Digital Camera Users 273,907 photos, 6,217 members
- Candid Portrait Photography 24,646 photos, 7,611 members
- Fuji X-T1, X-T2 and X-T10 Landscapes 8,734 photos, 1,788 members
- FUJI GFX • X-T3-T2-T1 • X-Pro2-Pro1 富士フイルム 155,279 photos, 4,009 members
- World Wide Photo Walk 2015 - Warwick, UK with Glyn Dewis 512 photos, 28 members
- Fuji-x.com 347,345 photos, 5,419 members
- fotografíabd 86,108 photos, 2,204 members
- Street Photography around the world 1,202 photos, 1,256 members
- RUNNING LANDSCAPES 129,815 photos, 4,772 members
- Image Gallery / B&W !!! 454,455 photos, 12,716 members
- I Love Black and White! 2,267,430 photos, 71,809 members
- TLP - Travel Light Photography 521,289 photos, 8,674 members
- Aspiring Street Photographers 321,950 photos, 9,653 members
- Fujifilm X-mount cameras 530,128 photos, 13,962 members
- Fujifilm X Series 464,304 photos, 8,614 members
- The World Through My Eyes - Monochrome Monday *OPEN* 4,538,593 photos, 122,579 members
- Street Photography UK 90,885 photos, 3,820 members
- candid eye contact 13,848 photos, 1,575 members
- Street Photography & Candid Street Portrait (The Very Best) 10,621 photos, 6,910 members
- Just Street Photography 2,507,426 photos, 78,916 members
- Street! 24,355 photos, 13,438 members
- Street & Reportage 255,497 photos, 5,719 members
- Street Photographers 615,818 photos, 9,501 members
- COLOUR STREET PORTRAITS 114,551 photos, 2,975 members
- Street and Documentary 28,074 photos, 3,311 members
- the human condition 145,892 photos, 3,960 members
- Flickritis: Where 81,000 people are still happily infected! 7,321,065 photos, 83,617 members
- A Celebration of Light - Let your Light Shine 193,316 photos, 5,055 members
- Beautiful Britain 156,915 photos, 1,472 members
- Street Photography Group 722,700 photos, 31,403 members
- *****Street Photography***** 1,190,744 photos, 29,244 members
- Street Color-Colour 111,693 photos, 3,630 members
- Street Photography 3,407 photos, 45,279 members
- Street Photography Blog 1,625,703 photos, 53,911 members
- Decaying Doors and Windows 5,532 photos, 411 members
- People in Black & White 706,469 photos, 33,561 members
- FUJIFILM X Street Photography 208,131 photos, 6,629 members
- Fuji X Black and White 136,162 photos, 3,267 members
- Fuji X-Pro 1 & XE-1&2 by Fujifilm 261,149 photos, 8,582 members
- Fuji X-Pro1 113,267 photos, 3,997 members
Will Guthrie doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Will Guthrie
- May 2011
- Northants, UK
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Will Guthrie Photography
- willguthrie [at] live.co.uk