In Memory of Karen Lundquist, Gary Minniss and Tom Gegan
---|||-- -|||---profile if
---|||-- -|||---you know
-----\\\///-----who is living with, survived
------///\-----or has passed away from
A bit about myself...
I've enjoyed the hobby of photography since I was a kid. I like photographing old neon signs, cars, motels, gas stations, roadside attractions and suburban life. I'm very old fashioned. I should have been born in 1936.
I collect and sell stuff like this...
I also collect old radios...
I'm very interested in Las Vegas history and am a co author of a book about Las Vegas postcards...
*If you have offensive material in your photo stream, and make me a contact, I may block you. My photo stream is family friendly as are most of my contacts photo streams.
*If you have tons of favorites and have posted no pictures and no icon, I'll block you.
*If you use one of my pictures for a blog, a link back to my photo stream is appreciated.
*If you'd like permission to use one of my images in a book or otherwise, just send me a Flickrmail.
visited 17 states (34%)Create your own visited map of The United States or Free iphone travel guide
- Transistor Radios 1,459 photos, 25 members
- Frito-Lay Munch Club 18 photos, 10 members
- Vintage Illustration 69,227 photos, 6,240 members
- Real-Life Blue Hour 428 photos, 94 members
- US Route 93 121 photos, 44 members
- Remember the Radioshack! 365 photos, 57 members
- Slipcovertecture 376 photos, 58 members
- Bottle Bank 1,132 photos, 143 members
- Vintage Animals 4,540 photos, 399 members
- My Favorite Car and Truck Pics 14,952 photos, 138 members
- Nothing But 'Yum' 2,744 photos, 83 members
- Moss Lamp Addicts 14 photos, 19 members
- Four-Door Hardtop 3,138 photos, 122 members
- Cars of the 1940's 13,702 photos, 277 members
- Sign Geeks 3,169 photos, 32 members
- Dutch Bros. Coffee 21 photos, 22 members
- Something Blue (Only Blue) 449,656 photos, 55,122 members
- My favorite Chinese restaurant 71 photos, 23 members
- Black&White Architectural Photography 15,509 photos, 1,018 members
- *Easter Retro* 1,594 photos, 232 members
- concertickets 2,422 photos, 177 members
- Car Show Picture Dump Group 80,082 photos, 622 members
- BARNS UNLIMITED 3,589 photos, 208 members
- Rephotography: Nevada 103 photos, 36 members
- CHURCHES & HOUSES OF WORSHIP 214,074 photos, 12,538 members
- Northwest New Gen Police Cars 8,376 photos, 122 members
- Recollection Wisconsin 144 photos, 23 members
- 12-12-2012 377 photos, 336 members
- Carmageddon 23,081 photos, 1,222 members
- Four-on-a-Couch 1,410 photos, 248 members
- Your Best Shot 2012 5,754 photos, 6,302 members
- Carnegie Libraries 2,576 photos, 198 members
- Vintage Mini Golf 619 photos, 106 members
- Duck Pop 352 photos, 49 members
- 1959-1960 Buicks/ Electra/Invicta/LeSabre 1,520 photos, 99 members
- 1970's Pop Culture 4,333 photos, 388 members
- Police Vehicles from North America 2,190 photos, 166 members
- Idaho Law Enforcement 477 photos, 30 members
- Cadillac Hotrods 1,626 photos, 152 members
- The Teens Turn 100 1,112 photos, 156 members
- US Route 66 (The Mother Road) 24,017 photos, 1,402 members
- Retail Stores - GONE! 2,897 photos, 127 members
- Classic Pickup Trucks & Vans 21,616 photos, 849 members
- Northern Pacific Railway 519 photos, 91 members
- Vintage Advertising & Antiques 19,243 photos, 452 members
- Steam Trains 184,235 photos, 4,007 members
- Small Town America 57,782 photos, 1,313 members
- Root Beer is Delicious 325 photos, 156 members
- Las Vegas Photo Collection - Share your Vegas Images 17,326 photos, 950 members
- 1960-66 chevy / gmc trucks 904 photos, 172 members
"Allen does a wonderful job at finding vintage packaging and taking pictures of abandoned Las Vegas buildings that were been forgotten over the years. To me, Allen is really one of the greatest people ever on Flickr."
October 2nd, 2009
"Allen to me is family. He's part of the family of friends I have met and cherish here on Flickr who are into old signs, history of our own (and other) towns, mid-century, googie, and times gone by. Allen also has a collection of old product packaging that at first look seems strange, but then you realize the genius of it... he's preserving history with that too. You think a photo of some old location is something, wait until he posts a photo of some old product package that you can remember around your house when you were little, and -whoosh-, you're right back in time. You'll find yourself waiting to see what he'll have next in his photostream. I know I do. I'm darned glad for the chance to know him here on Flickr, as well as personally."
August 24th, 2009
Pete Zarria says:
"I had to write this to express my gratitude to these few photographers who have inspired me so much. These words may seem overblown, I don't know, when one has had the scales removed from their eyes, is there such a thing as too much gratitude?
I call them the "Usual Suspects" since some sort of old movie reference seems in line with the Gestalt of what these few have produced. What they do, what they have done that is important to today and to history. Simple recorders of events and things perhaps, but then so were those who left us the mystery of the petroglyphs. But in these fews efforts something of us and our past are preserved. That's important.
So to Roadsidepictures, who got the ball rolling, Allen, Thanks for making me see with new eyes. To Vintage Roadside, Jeff, you helped me to see and understand why its important. To loungelistner, Gary, thanks, you helped me do it with a new sense of joy. And to SKY✡VU, Jim, you are just an inspiration by simply being. Amazing what this one man has accomplished.
These few, these four led to others who have their own lessons to teach to those who will listen, to those who will "see": Thanks to HappyShooter, Fotoedge, Army.Arch, Julia, Alan of Marion, Dave van Hulsteyn, Dennis Dixon, Joey Harrison. Appreciating this thing called urban or Roadside America is just a big jigsaw puzzle. But I'm having way more fun putting it together."
December 1st, 2008
"He has an eye for all things to be photographed. It's easy to get lost looking through all the incredible images brought though RSP's photostream. It's easy to get lost in time and can't find your way out.
A true artist!"
December 3rd, 2008
Twang Your Head says:
"Allen's interests span far and wide. He's a great collector, and values the past. That's good in my book. If you love old stuff, Roadside delivers. I'm always drooling at his finds of classic packages.
Checking his photostream over a period of weeks and months, one is continually surprised by what he's into at the moment. I start wondering, "Where does he find the time?" But he finds the time, and he shows us how to value what he does.
And, his icon is for a women's deodorant.
Can't be that now, can ya?"
August 21st, 2008
"Allen is a true flickr friend. Ask him to photograph something new and he would reply "Why when there are so many old things to preserve in photo?." He is a true photo historian with a passion for chronicling change. His appreciation for others posts are always evident in his encouraging and kind remarks.
Keep doing what you are doing Allen, we all are watching and waiting for your posts to come!!"
August 20th, 2008
galessa's plastics says:
"I only wish all young people had the same respect and loving care for things of the past like this guy! Was this not enough, he is a A++++++ photographer and seems to be, by the pictures of himself, a very nice chap! I want to meet him in Nevada and let him show me around!"
January 16th, 2008
"allen is doing with las vegas what atget did with paris... photographically collecting, compiling, and cataloguing from the inside-out... unfortunately, i don't think the breadth and scope of his project will be fully appreciated until many, many years have passed."
February 13th, 2007
Richmond 9 says:
"Always worth checking in! Roadsidepictures has a great eye for urban archaelogy, ephemera and other fun kitsch!"
October 22nd, 2006
Paula Wirth says:
"So when is this guy gonna write a book already?? He already has the most amazing photographic collection of road signs, classy lettering/typography and vintage packaging you will ever find. I'm waiting!!!!!!"
August 8th, 2006
"One of my newest contacts on flickr, and one of my favorites. I never get bored of your photos! Postcards, architecture, ads... It's all very wonderful. Thank you for sharing some awesome history!"
August 4th, 2006
"Part archivist, part historian and part urban archeologist. An entertaining flickr contact."
July 25th, 2006
Annene von Durchgerockt says:
"Artisitic, skilled, smart.
A future hero, mapping his preferred area of the past for those who care and those who will care.
Plus a swell member of the Flickrati and a loyal contact."
July 14th, 2006
- September 2005
- Kansas City, Missouri/Henderson, Nevada
- I am:
- Male and Single
- School District-Maintenance Supervisor/Freelance Photographer