(To view my photos, please click on Photostream above.)
Who am I?
Why am I taking photos and writing this stuff?
I'm a Londoner who's lived in Tottenham over 30 years. Until May 2014 I was one of the councillors for Tottenham Hale Ward in the London Borough of Haringey.
I began using my camera to report dumped rubbish, broken pavements etc. So my gallery of photos is sometimes a Rogues Gallery. It shows, for example, the work of fly-tippers; bad landlords; incompetent council departments; and a small minority of local residents who take little or no responsibility for their surroundings.
Haringey also has many attractive and curious corners. And many residents who care deeply about our neighbourhoods. There are dedicated and imaginative staff doing excellent work. You'll find some of this in my photos as well.
My Flickr pages are mainly a photoblog. With my own and other people's comments raising issues which fascinate me.
► How do we build civic pride and community engagement? Especially in areas of enormous diversity and transience, with thousands of newcomers from across the world.
► How do we want our neighbourhoods to change?
Take homes. Haringey has several thousand homeless households with thousands more overcrowded. Do we want new homes to meet the needs of local families? Or new flats for out-of-town commuters? More tower-blocks? Or human-scale architecture? Can we stop buy-to-let slumlords converting homes to hutches and cramming people in?
► Do we just preserve old buildings and build pastiche copies? Or welcome modern design as well? How do we get the best architects to design for a poorer area of town?
► How do we safeguard and improve our parks and green spaces - always under attack?
► Where are the public and private spaces which welcome children and young people? For where two or three are gathered together, that's now often labelled: anti-social behaviour.
► How do we Go Green and make sustainability a reality?
► Can we influence stores and businesses which locate here? Do we really need more betting shops? More billboards?
Such "photo-conversations" are starting to happen on Flickr. For example, the Haringey Pool and other London 'Pools' of photos are like collective photo essays - pieces from a fascinating jigsaw, which creates a larger picture of a living breathing city.
Photos of Alan Stanton (2)
- Urban trees 29,088 photos, 822 members
- Crouch End 126 photos, 11 members
- Angeschnittene Poller in irgendeiner Umgebung 120 photos, 25 members
- Castlefield, Manchester - the bright and the dark sides - post 1 1,811 photos, 152 members
- Craster, Northumberland 197 photos, 42 members
- Holy Island 3,224 photos, 424 members
- Berwick-upon-Tweed and the surrounding area 5,276 photos, 278 members
- illustrated maps 1,049 photos, 316 members
- illustration maps 799 photos, 228 members
- Low POV 13,952 photos, 3,576 members
- Sidmouth - Devon 1,929 photos, 195 members
- Lee On Solent 637 photos, 80 members
- Bin Down That Road 393 photos, 23 members
- Libraries UK 1,835 photos, 150 members
- / ART IS EVERYWHERE 721 photos, 159 members
- The Brunswick Centre 109 photos, 40 members
- Lost Pet Posters 1,417 photos, 218 members
- Chinese Restaurant Worldwide Documentation Project 22,976 photos, 1,054 members
- Bleak Britain 1,934 photos, 153 members
- Plaques 7,555 photos, 336 members
- Parkside Malvern 43 photos, 6 members
- Georgian Architecture 6,436 photos, 350 members
- Regent's Park 1,907 photos, 270 members
- Street Art and Graffiti 11,993 photos, 63 members
- British Waterways (Canal & River Trust) 17,227 photos, 401 members
- Listed Buildings (England) 6,262 photos, 87 members
- Inns of court, London 344 photos, 58 members
- Lincoln's Inn Fields - Camden 138 photos, 14 members
- Metropolitan Drinking Fountain & Cattle Trough Association 345 photos, 77 members
- Brussels Street Art 11,982 photos, 575 members
- Brick Lane 7,841 photos, 834 members
- Ancoats & Shudehill Pictures 1,097 photos, 52 members
- PARKS AND GARDENS 37,771 photos, 1,939 members
- Will Alsop 118 photos, 15 members
- !Catchy Colors 4,076,595 photos, 160,879 members
- Bowes & Bounds Connected 114 photos, 7 members
- Leeds Castle 1,745 photos, 226 members
- Ugly Enough 2 b Beautiful 16,880 photos, 702 members
- CANALMANIA 27,619 photos, 1,046 members
- Sign of the Times (All Types of Signs) 18,489 photos, 1,283 members
- Murals and Mosaics 58,336 photos, 3,734 members
- Cable Clutter: Shame Or Pride 42 photos, 56 members
- Penrith, Cumbria 574 photos, 36 members
- Faded Signage (FADED!) 24,658 photos, 1,988 members
- Signless Signs 1,354 photos, 242 members
- Blank Signs 139 photos, 27 members
- Bollards! 625 photos, 95 members
- North Circular Road 1,298 photos, 57 members
- Ladders 1,459 photos, 557 members
- Primrose Hill 409 photos, 89 members
"É l'Umberto Eco dell'immondizia.
(He is U. Eco of the rubbish)"
April 21st, 2009
- Alan Stanton
- February 2007
- I am:
- Male and Taken