(To view my photos, please click on Photostream above.)
Who am I?
Why am I taking photos and writing this stuff?
I'm a Londoner who's lived in Tottenham over 30 years. Until May 2014 I was one of the councillors for Tottenham Hale Ward in the London Borough of Haringey.
I began using my camera to report dumped rubbish, broken pavements etc. So my gallery of photos is sometimes a Rogues Gallery. It shows, for example, the work of fly-tippers; bad landlords; incompetent council departments; and a small minority of local residents who take little or no responsibility for their surroundings.
Haringey also has many attractive and curious corners. And many residents who care deeply about our neighbourhoods. There are dedicated and imaginative staff doing excellent work. You'll find some of this in my photos as well.
My Flickr pages are mainly a photoblog. With my own and other people's comments raising issues which fascinate me.
► How do we build civic pride and community engagement? Especially in areas of enormous diversity and transience, with thousands of newcomers from across the world.
► How do we want our neighbourhoods to change?
Take homes. Haringey has several thousand homeless households with thousands more overcrowded. Do we want new homes to meet the needs of local families? Or new flats for out-of-town commuters? More tower-blocks? Or human-scale architecture? Can we stop buy-to-let slumlords converting homes to hutches and cramming people in?
► Do we just preserve old buildings and build pastiche copies? Or welcome modern design as well? How do we get the best architects to design for a poorer area of town?
► How do we safeguard and improve our parks and green spaces - always under attack?
► Where are the public and private spaces which welcome children and young people? For where two or three are gathered together, that's now often labelled: anti-social behaviour.
► How do we Go Green and make sustainability a reality?
► Can we influence stores and businesses which locate here? Do we really need more betting shops? More billboards?
Such "photo-conversations" are starting to happen on Flickr. For example, the Haringey Pool and other London 'Pools' of photos are like collective photo essays - pieces from a fascinating jigsaw, which creates a larger picture of a living breathing city.
Photos of Alan Stanton (2)
- Craster, Northumberland 163 photos, 33 members
- Holy Island 3,142 photos, 411 members
- Berwick-upon-Tweed and the surrounding area 5,055 photos, 269 members
- illustrated maps 966 photos, 304 members
- illustration maps 715 photos, 223 members
- Low POV 8,567 photos, 3,478 members
- Sidmouth - Devon 1,818 photos, 191 members
- Lee On Solent 504 photos, 73 members
- Bin Down That Road 357 photos, 23 members
- Libraries UK 1,733 photos, 145 members
- / ART IS EVERYWHERE 615 photos, 154 members
- The Brunswick Centre 109 photos, 40 members
- Lost Pet Posters 1,391 photos, 217 members
- Chinese Restaurant Worldwide Documentation Project 22,156 photos, 1,019 members
- Bleak Britain 1,585 photos, 141 members
- Plaques 7,359 photos, 328 members
- Parkside Malvern 41 photos, 6 members
- Georgian Architecture 6,280 photos, 340 members
- Regent's Park 1,876 photos, 262 members
- Street Art and Graffiti 1,907 photos, 51 members
- British Waterways (Canal & River Trust) 15,743 photos, 366 members
- Listed Buildings (England) 5,409 photos, 77 members
- Inns of court, London 326 photos, 57 members
- Lincoln's Inn Fields - Camden 138 photos, 14 members
- Metropolitan Drinking Fountain & Cattle Trough Association 340 photos, 78 members
- Brussels Street Art 11,644 photos, 557 members
- Brick Lane 7,610 photos, 817 members
- Ancoats & Shudehill Pictures 1,083 photos, 49 members
- PARKS AND GARDENS 30,443 photos, 1,878 members
- Will Alsop 118 photos, 15 members
- !Catchy Colors 3,825,428 photos, 147,589 members
- Bowes & Bounds Connected 114 photos, 7 members
- Leeds Castle 1,674 photos, 221 members
- Ugly Enough 2 b Beautiful 15,566 photos, 690 members
- CANALMANIA 24,151 photos, 1,014 members
- PLANET EARTH CAUTION, DANGER, AND WARNING SIGNS 1,339 photos, 414 members
- Murals and Mosaics 54,367 photos, 3,647 members
- Cable Clutter: Shame Or Pride 40 photos, 56 members
- Penrith, Cumbria 512 photos, 34 members
- Faded Signage (FADED!) 23,911 photos, 1,980 members
- Signless Signs 1,342 photos, 238 members
- Blank Signs 139 photos, 27 members
- Bollards! 592 photos, 97 members
- North Circular Road 1,293 photos, 58 members
- Ladders 1,413 photos, 549 members
- Primrose Hill 404 photos, 88 members
- 'The Shard' London Bridge 6,882 photos, 707 members
- The Shard 1,263 photos, 176 members
- London Cinema, Movies and Television 3,724 photos, 601 members
- @ the Bad Ass Cafe 1,718 photos, 44 members
"É l'Umberto Eco dell'immondizia.
(He is U. Eco of the rubbish)"
April 21st, 2009
- Alan Stanton
- February 2007
- I am:
- Male and Taken