(To view my photos, please click on Photostream above.)
Who am I?
Why am I taking photos and writing this stuff?
I'm a Londoner who's lived in Tottenham over 30 years. Until May 2014 I was one of the councillors for Tottenham Hale Ward in the London Borough of Haringey.
I began using my camera to report dumped rubbish, broken pavements etc. So my gallery of photos is sometimes a Rogues Gallery. It shows, for example, the work of fly-tippers; bad landlords; incompetent council departments; and a small minority of local residents who take little or no responsibility for their surroundings.
Haringey also has many attractive and curious corners. And many residents who care deeply about our neighbourhoods. There are dedicated and imaginative staff doing excellent work. You'll find some of this in my photos as well.
My Flickr pages are mainly a photoblog. With my own and other people's comments raising issues which fascinate me.
► How do we build civic pride and community engagement? Especially in areas of enormous diversity and transience, with thousands of newcomers from across the world.
► How do we want our neighbourhoods to change?
Take homes. Haringey has several thousand homeless households with thousands more overcrowded. Do we want new homes to meet the needs of local families? Or new flats for out-of-town commuters? More tower-blocks? Or human-scale architecture? Can we stop buy-to-let slumlords converting homes to hutches and cramming people in?
► Do we just preserve old buildings and build pastiche copies? Or welcome modern design as well? How do we get the best architects to design for a poorer area of town?
► How do we safeguard and improve our parks and green spaces - always under attack?
► Where are the public and private spaces which welcome children and young people? For where two or three are gathered together, that's now often labelled: anti-social behaviour.
► How do we Go Green and make sustainability a reality?
► Can we influence stores and businesses which locate here? Do we really need more betting shops? More billboards?
Such "photo-conversations" are starting to happen on Flickr. For example, the Haringey Pool and other London 'Pools' of photos are like collective photo essays - pieces from a fascinating jigsaw, which creates a larger picture of a living breathing city.
Photos of Alan Stanton (2)
- Libraries UK 1,621 photos, 142 members
- / ART IS EVERYWHERE 502 photos, 146 members
- The Brunswick Centre 109 photos, 40 members
- Lost Pet Posters 643 photos, 216 members
- Chinese Restaurant Worldwide Documentation Project 21,500 photos, 985 members
- Bleak Britain 1,081 photos, 79 members
- Plaques 7,047 photos, 330 members
- Parkside Malvern 52 photos, 6 members
- Georgian Architecture 5,905 photos, 332 members
- Regent's Park 1,825 photos, 257 members
- Street Art and Graffiti 722 photos, 36 members
- British Waterways (Canal & River Trust) 14,282 photos, 325 members
- Listed Buildings (England) 4,849 photos, 71 members
- Inns of court, London 323 photos, 57 members
- Lincoln's Inn Fields - Camden 138 photos, 14 members
- Metropolitan Drinking Fountain & Cattle Trough Association 338 photos, 76 members
- Brussels Street Art 11,454 photos, 544 members
- Brick Lane 7,441 photos, 809 members
- Ancoats & Shudehill Pictures 1,059 photos, 49 members
- PARKS AND GARDENS 20,747 photos, 1,678 members
- Will Alsop 118 photos, 15 members
- !Catchy Colors 3,753,260 photos, 139,139 members
- Bowes & Bounds Connected 116 photos, 7 members
- Leeds Castle 1,615 photos, 213 members
- Ugly Enough 2 b Beautiful 14,312 photos, 660 members
- CANALMANIA 19,301 photos, 926 members
- PLANET EARTH CAUTION, DANGER, AND WARNING SIGNS 1,242 photos, 407 members
- Murals and Mosaics 51,165 photos, 3,568 members
- Cable Clutter: Shame Or Pride 37 photos, 57 members
- Penrith, Cumbria 510 photos, 34 members
- Faded Signage (FADED!) 23,449 photos, 1,964 members
- Signless Signs 1,307 photos, 230 members
- Blank Signs 136 photos, 27 members
- Bollards! 576 photos, 100 members
- North Circular Road 1,263 photos, 59 members
- Ladders 1,366 photos, 537 members
- Primrose Hill 402 photos, 88 members
- 'The Shard' London Bridge 6,697 photos, 678 members
- The Shard 1,149 photos, 155 members
- London Cinema, Movies and Television 3,605 photos, 592 members
- @ the Bad Ass Cafe 1,520 photos, 44 members
- London Cafés and Restaurants 7,846 photos, 1,252 members
- We Love Street Art 178,475 photos, 2,297 members
- Street Art London 58,293 photos, 1,616 members
- Street Art on Flickr 427,037 photos, 6,319 members
- Cafes, Coffee Houses, Burger Joints, Food Carts. 49,632 photos, 2,636 members
- Snow in my 'hood 4,444 photos, 347 members
- Rickmansworth 1,428 photos, 88 members
- March for a future that works - 20 October 366 photos, 9 members
- London Sculptures 4,137 photos, 172 members
"É l'Umberto Eco dell'immondizia.
(He is U. Eco of the rubbish)"
April 21st, 2009
- Alan Stanton
- February 2007
- I am:
- Male and Taken