SF Bay Area writer + wildlife advocate - Dedicated to my Oly OMD
* I've made some of my images are available for editorial and educational use, but I ask that they not be used to promote violence toward animals, which includes practices like hunting, trapping, or pest control. Thank you for that consideration.
• Member NANPA Wildlife Photography Ethics Committee
• Member International Wildlife Rehabilitation Council
A recent post by International Bird Rescue where I had the opportunity to discuss some of my thoughts about field ethics:
The well-being of animals I photograph takes precedence over the photo. As a general rule and to the best of my ability, I work to reduce how intrusive my presence is. To that end:
-- I use long lenses for wildlife, and my primary lens is the Oly 300mm f/4 (which has an effective 600mm reach)
-- I don't bait or lure wild animals like owls or foxes, a practice common in some areas
-- I don't use calls or decoys, electronic or other
-- I'm cautious about (and generally avoid) nesting/denning areas, so as not to disturb or draw attention to the location. Exceptions include situations like heron or egret rookeries not compromised by human presence.
I've had a camera in my hands since my first Kodak Instamatic, a gift I received in grade school to document our expat lives in Geneva and Amsterdam. I've also had an enduring love for animals and ecology. But, it wasn't until I began volunteering at wildlife hospital in the San Francisco Bay Area about ten years ago, that my nature and photography passions converged.
Working in wildlife rehabilitation gave me an intimate view into the lives and struggles of species so often inaccessible and removed from our own. I do my best to paint my experience and theirs in pixels, hoping to promote love and appreciation for our fellow travelers on this planet.
In naturalistic or documentary photography, I make standard edits on RAW files. For fine art images and prints, I do take artistic license with effect and outcome. I love the modern tools afforded us, and enjoy the creativity of the digital dark room process.
Some adjustments on my images include: sharpness, levels, contrast, noise reduction, wb/color adjustments where needed, vignettes, and in some cases, spot removal.
I'm currently (slowly) updating my catalog of images for caption consistency.
USING MY PHOTOS
** Although some of my images are available for use under a Creative Commons license ...
... I ask they not be used to promote cruel or violent content. Thank you for being respectful of this request. **
PHOTO CREDIT: Ingrid Taylar. And, in electronic media, a link back to my photo website (www.ingridtaylar.com).
** Part of the reason I upload select images to Flickr is to participate in the Creative Commons community, providing images for the purpose of education, preservation, conservation and teaching. Some photos are fully-protected or licensed exclusively to Getty or elsewhere, and cannot be used. So, please check on an image-by-image basis.
I always appreciate knowing where my images were used, so feel free to drop me an email or post the usage under the photo. Many thanks!
Thank you for stopping by and taking a look. [[:-)
~ Ingrid Taylar
:: Photo website: www.ingridtaylar.com
:: Instagram: Ingrid Taylar Instagram
Gear: I used micro four thirds, mirrorless cameras from Olympus.
• Olympus E-M1
• Olympus E-M5II
• m.zuiko 300mm f/4.0
• m.zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8
• m.zuiko 14-54mm
• Sony RX100
- Panasonic 100-400 f/4-6.3 11,654 photos, 771 members
- American Photographer 13,884 photos, 509 members
- Banded Brown Pelicans 326 photos, 74 members
- Get Olympus 355,905 photos, 4,791 members
- Four Thirds Photography* 34,935 photos, 808 members
- All Free Pictures (Creative Commons and Public Domain) 190,080 photos, 6,082 members
- Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm Lens 10,026 photos, 652 members
- Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm f4.8-6.7 12,516 photos, 1,126 members
- Who Needs a Mirror? 38,006 photos, 824 members
- Olympus OM-D Series Photography Sample Group 276,664 photos, 5,223 members
- Olympus E-M1 Photography 103,476 photos, 1,860 members
- Bay Area Bird Photographers (BABP) 3,153 photos, 41 members
- #SFflickrmeetup - San Francisco Flickr Meetups 5,360 photos, 384 members
- Post 1 / Fav 3! One per day! 14,166 photos, 786 members
- Life In LoFi: iPhoneography 273,107 photos, 5,484 members
- iPhone Camera Shots 742,896 photos, 26,708 members
- iPhone Freaks 368,366 photos, 10,121 members
- iPhone Obsession (,^^) 107,562 photos, 4,052 members
- Mob Paint 18,682 photos, 602 members
- Instagram 151,184 photos, 8,118 members
- Bolsa Chica Ecological Reserve 9,987 photos, 400 members
- Monterey Peninsula 13,582 photos, 1,095 members
- Monterey Bay Aquarium 9,885 photos, 1,858 members
- Wikimedia Commons 15,881 photos, 642 members
- Wikipedia 25,603 photos, 534 members
- Project Weather 611,887 photos, 92,469 members
- Close up Animals 67,439 photos, 1,579 members
- Small Camera Big Picture 61,070 photos, 1,321 members
- Insect Identification Help Group 27,989 photos, 4,619 members
- East Bay Birding Affiliated (EBBA) 8,898 photos, 152 members
- Juanita Bay Park Photography 2,126 photos, 65 members
- Seattle Parks 1,986 photos, 167 members
- DISCOVERY PARK - SEATTLE 457 photos, 89 members
- Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge 4,670 photos, 225 members
- The Wildlife Conservation Pass Project 3,788 photos, 73 members
- Birds of Washington State 15,939 photos, 189 members
- Berkeleyside 16,289 photos, 431 members
- fd's Flickr Toys 32,705 photos, 18,627 members
- Issaquah, WA 1,191 photos, 109 members
- Seattle Photographers 46,302 photos, 1,143 members
- Audubon magazine 298,558 photos, 2,555 members
- Great Seattle Wheel 198 photos, 52 members
- Flickr Olympus OM-D E-M1 + E-M5 + E-M10 332,343 photos, 6,900 members
- Zuiko Lenses 16,595 photos, 342 members
- Flickr Bird Brigade 81,695 photos, 1,413 members
- Pacific Northwest Tugboats 6,688 photos, 171 members
- Olympus PEN-F,OM-D E-M1, E-M10, E-M5 and E-M5II user 702,785 photos, 14,831 members
- Parting Shots 1,328 photos, 701 members
- Burdr 111,727 photos, 1,044 members
- Queen Anne Seattle 1,452 photos, 97 members
Ingrid Taylar doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Ingrid Taylar
- August 2004
- San Francisco
- I am:
- Female and Taken
- Writer + Photography
- Ingrid Taylar Foto