I dress in the dark and eat only whole grain bread. I carry a cell phone where ever I go, but I keep it turned off to save the battery.
Self imposed discipline: For every new photo posted there must be a "Found" photo and a "Recycle" photo. Slows things down a bit.
Well after two years of that, I see it is beginning to break down. Oh well.
So now I have had to discontinue the Recycle portion of the stream. It was causing too much turmoil in the blogs where some of the pictures are being used. When I move them to the top of the Flickr stack, they sometimes disappear where they have been used on a blog.
The “Found Photographs” are now collected in a blog site called “LOST GALLERY”. It features photographs from this stream and some other fine collectors of abandoned photographs. The photographs are categorized on individual pages so one can rapidly review dozens of photographs on one subject.
03/17/2012 update. Okay that did it. Just so you’ll know how I feel, adding one of my photographs to your collection of 148 thousand “favorites” is not a compliment. If you need an explanation of that, you are just not thinking.
Likewise, if you make me one of your "treasured" 800 or 900 contacts it is just no honor. You simply cannot review several hundred new postings regularly. So I must assume: You Don't.
This is not Facebook.
Update 20141003: I have decided to discontinue commenting on any photograph that has a bunch of those "award" icons in the comment section. It's just a bunch of clutter.
While paging though a subject-group of posted photographs, I began to realize that more than half the photographs in the group were off topic. Some of those photographs were posted in hundreds of groups. I didn’t investigate but they were probably off-topic in most of them. Why do they do this? Self-promotion, I guess; anything for a stat-counted visit to their stream, no matter how brief or what purpose.
That did it. I just ran across a photograph that had been posted in 756 groups! That’s just blatant self-promotion. It’s not photography, it is just ego trip! From now on, I will not comment on any photograph that is posted in more than ten groups. I will not join or will drop out of any group that appears to go unsupervised and unmoderated. So there. (I have stamped my foot. Twice.)
- Dancing Outside 371 photos, 46 members
- Anything Absurd 16,524 photos, 686 members
- Naive Backgrounds in Vintage Photos, 19th to mid 20th Century 195 photos, 51 members
- Vintage Photographs (pre-1945) [Directory] 3,353 photos, 368 members
- New Wall Wednesday 3,894 photos, 371 members
- World War 2 Fighter Planes 668 photos, 67 members
- Double Exposure 110,376 photos, 29,190 members
- Squinting at the Sun. Vintage Photographs. 456 photos, 26 members
- The Railroad Museum 7,150 photos, 314 members
- Wallet Worn 230 photos, 33 members
- David Stone Martin 47 photos, 11 members
- Cloudporn 257,449 photos, 38,459 members
- Feature your photo on www.caption.me (comedy competition) 2,378 photos, 564 members
- What's That Picture? (pre-1945 mysteries) 1,509 photos, 308 members
- Flickr Contact Page Juxtaposition CLOSED - 0 photos, 14 members
- Lost Treasures of Atlantic City 1,711 photos, 93 members
- Wash on Monday, Iron on Tuesday 298 photos, 31 members
- Theater Buildings 6,985 photos, 545 members
- Movie Theaters & Drive Ins 16,745 photos, 1,175 members
- Movie Theatres 16,069 photos, 678 members
- Ghostsigns 12,766 photos, 726 members
- Itinerant Street Photography 721 photos, 92 members
- Inadvertent Art 781 photos, 78 members
- The Vintage Man 6,905 photos, 407 members
- Photo Trouvée 20,840 photos, 481 members
- Vintage In Colour 7,511 photos, 519 members
- Geotagged: Oklahoma 1,480 photos, 117 members
- Vintage Black and White photographs 17,259 photos, 305 members
- Strange Meetings/Juxtapositions (no people, animals...) 5,101 photos, 191 members
- Old Family Pictures With Cars In Them 5,471 photos, 249 members
- Former Theaters 10,107 photos, 577 members
- Funny Signs, Silly Signs, Old Signs and Signs and More signs 4,681 photos, 350 members
- Movie Stills 12,152 photos, 1,189 members
- Anything Movies 40,172 photos, 1,054 members
- The Daily Post 273,614 photos, 4,740 members
- Things that Make You Go Hmmm 1,886 photos, 107 members
- Vintage Background People 4,189 photos, 408 members
- Ghost Signs 30,031 photos, 2,258 members
- S!gns 102,174 photos, 5,075 members
- Great Signs 100,481 photos, 5,370 members
- Vintage Eyes That Speak 3,099 photos, 145 members
- Mysterious Vintage Photos 333 photos, 292 members
- IMAGE`S OF BUILDINGS - OLD AND NEW 79,944 photos, 986 members
- Vintage Bathing Beauties/Belles - Late 19th Century to 1930's 607 photos, 434 members
- Sculptures, Statues, and Public Art 239,953 photos, 10,343 members
- A Tribute to the Art of Album Covers 9,747 photos, 225 members
- WWII Bombers 12,618 photos, 876 members
- Vintage Shadow People 808 photos, 183 members
- Retro Beach 4,017 photos, 779 members
- Vintage Musicians 1,609 photos, 216 members
"An extraordinary talent,,not just as a photographer, but, as an observer,he sees what we should all see but don't. His sense of humour transgresses sex,colour and religion, he is truly a human microscope...( did that make sense),,,DEL"
June 24th, 2008
"Anyjazz65 is a master at looking at the details of old photographs, then pointing out what he sees. He has surprised me once or twice on my own photos, noticing things I should have seen, but didnt' until he mentioned it.
He takes a photograph and weaves a tale into it in such a humorous way that you find yourself caught up in the game, adding to it. Along the same line, he can take a photo and remind you of why it is important to remember the history we all share, and the questions we should be asking while there is still a chance to get some answers from someone who knows.
A master, in my eyes, of the antique photograph. A friend, too :)"
May 30th, 2007
- August 2005
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Thinks Happen