I dress in the dark and eat only whole grain bread. I carry a cell phone where ever I go, but I keep it turned off to save the battery.
Self imposed discipline: For every new photo posted there must be a "Found" photo and a "Recycle" photo. Slows things down a bit.
Well after two years of that, I see it is beginning to break down. Oh well.
So now I have had to discontinue the Recycle portion of the stream. It was causing too much turmoil in the blogs where some of the pictures are being used. When I move them to the top of the Flickr stack, they sometimes disappear where they have been used on a blog.
The “Found Photographs” are now collected in a blog site called “LOST GALLERY”. It features photographs from this stream and some other fine collectors of abandoned photographs. The photographs are categorized on individual pages so one can rapidly review dozens of photographs on one subject.
03/17/2012 update. Okay that did it. Just so you’ll know how I feel, adding one of my photographs to your collection of 148 thousand “favorites” is not a compliment. If you need an explanation of that, you are just not thinking.
Likewise, if you make me one of your "treasured" 800 or 900 contacts it is just no honor. You simply cannot review several hundred new postings regularly. So I must assume: You Don't.
This is not Facebook.
Update 20141003: I have decided to discontinue commenting on any photograph that has a bunch of those "award" icons in the comment section. It's just a bunch of clutter.
While paging though a subject-group of posted photographs, I began to realize that more than half the photographs in the group were off topic. Some of those photographs were posted in hundreds of groups. I didn’t investigate but they were probably off-topic in most of them. Why do they do this? Self-promotion, I guess; anything for a stat-counted visit to their stream, no matter how brief or what purpose.
That did it. I just ran across a photograph that had been posted in 756 groups! That’s just blatant self-promotion. It’s not photography, it is just ego trip! From now on, I will not comment on any photograph that is posted in more than ten groups. I will not join or will drop out of any group that appears to go unsupervised and unmoderated. So there. (I have stamped my foot. Twice.)
- Anything Absurd 16,361 photos, 684 members
- Naive Backgrounds in Vintage Photos, 19th to mid 20th Century 185 photos, 47 members
- Vintage Photographs (pre-1945) [Directory] 3,239 photos, 316 members
- New Wall Wednesday 2,891 photos, 304 members
- World War 2 Fighter Planes 621 photos, 65 members
- Double Exposure 110,064 photos, 28,367 members
- Squinting at the Sun. Vintage Photographs. 393 photos, 25 members
- The Railroad Museum 6,957 photos, 310 members
- Wallet Worn 218 photos, 30 members
- David Stone Martin 47 photos, 11 members
- Cloudporn 248,125 photos, 36,955 members
- Feature your photo on www.caption.me (comedy competition) 2,144 photos, 559 members
- What's That Picture? (pre-1945 mysteries) 1,476 photos, 306 members
- Flickr Contact Page Juxtaposition CLOSED - 0 photos, 14 members
- Lost Treasures of Atlantic City 1,699 photos, 87 members
- Wash on Monday, Iron on Tuesday 295 photos, 31 members
- Theater Buildings 6,700 photos, 528 members
- Movie Theaters & Drive Ins 16,554 photos, 1,166 members
- Movie Theatres 15,876 photos, 672 members
- Ghostsigns 12,369 photos, 722 members
- Itinerant Street Photography 759 photos, 91 members
- Inadvertent Art 712 photos, 73 members
- The Vintage Man 6,603 photos, 395 members
- Photo Trouvée 20,505 photos, 470 members
- Vintage In Colour 7,269 photos, 504 members
- Geotagged: Oklahoma 1,467 photos, 116 members
- Vintage Black and White photographs 16,537 photos, 291 members
- Strange Meetings/Juxtapositions (no people, animals...) 5,075 photos, 187 members
- Old Family Pictures With Cars In Them 5,227 photos, 241 members
- Former Theaters 9,936 photos, 578 members
- Funny Signs, Silly Signs, Old Signs and Signs and More signs 4,639 photos, 347 members
- Movie Stills 12,139 photos, 1,184 members
- Anything Movies 39,225 photos, 1,049 members
- The Daily Post 265,606 photos, 4,695 members
- Things that Make You Go Hmmm 1,821 photos, 106 members
- Vintage Background People 4,161 photos, 407 members
- Ghost Signs 29,438 photos, 2,246 members
- S!gns 101,526 photos, 5,064 members
- Great Signs 99,338 photos, 5,364 members
- Vintage Eyes That Speak 3,102 photos, 146 members
- Mysterious Vintage Photos 333 photos, 292 members
- IMAGE`S OF BUILDINGS - OLD AND NEW 77,969 photos, 973 members
- Vintage Bathing Beauties/Belles - Late 19th Century to 1930's 601 photos, 427 members
- Sculptures, Statues, and Public Art 234,675 photos, 10,226 members
- A Tribute to the Art of Album Covers 9,578 photos, 226 members
- WWII Bombers 12,515 photos, 864 members
- Vintage Shadow People 787 photos, 179 members
- Retro Beach 3,985 photos, 775 members
- Vintage Musicians 1,595 photos, 217 members
- WW II 41,093 photos, 3,099 members
"An extraordinary talent,,not just as a photographer, but, as an observer,he sees what we should all see but don't. His sense of humour transgresses sex,colour and religion, he is truly a human microscope...( did that make sense),,,DEL"
June 24th, 2008
"Anyjazz65 is a master at looking at the details of old photographs, then pointing out what he sees. He has surprised me once or twice on my own photos, noticing things I should have seen, but didnt' until he mentioned it.
He takes a photograph and weaves a tale into it in such a humorous way that you find yourself caught up in the game, adding to it. Along the same line, he can take a photo and remind you of why it is important to remember the history we all share, and the questions we should be asking while there is still a chance to get some answers from someone who knows.
A master, in my eyes, of the antique photograph. A friend, too :)"
May 30th, 2007
- August 2005
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Thinks Happen