I’m a photographer and psychologist specializing in what I call “photographic psychology.” It’s the study of how people create, share, and react to images – especially concerning digital photography, images that portray psychological issues, and online photosharing.
I like to think of my flickr photostream as a blog companion to my
online book Photographic Psychology: Image and Psyche
I usually post one image a day, along with my thoughts about it or photography in general.
I love to discuss photographs, including capturing and post-processing techniques, composition, and the fascinating psychological meanings and emotions embedded in photos. If you enjoy that too, please share your thoughts!
In case you’re interested, here’s my bio page
Photos of John Suler's PhotoPsychology (2)
- Cat Cats Catz!!! 129,751 photos, 9,534 members
- Cat-A-Log 132,174 photos, 12,184 members
- Cat Faces and Eyes 127,853 photos, 16,525 members
- Cats of the World 300,382 photos, 31,315 members
- iPhone Camera Shots 723,991 photos, 26,378 members
- iPhone Freaks 359,402 photos, 10,017 members
- iPhone 3G & 3GS & 4 & 4S PHOTOS 130,279 photos, 7,895 members
- Decisive Moments... Classics in B&W 14,989 photos, 3,962 members
- Decisive Moments in Canada. please read rules. 63 photos, 7 members
- Decisive Moments 16,392 photos, 435 members
- Decisive Moment- Photojournalism 6,786 photos, 232 members
- Decisive Moment Photography 2,184 photos, 194 members
- Decisive Moment (HCB Type images) 43 photos, 202 members
- Decisive Moment 2,393 photos, 38,338 members
- HCB's "The Decisive Moment" 521 photos, 7,595 members
- ╠Art Libre-Free Art-Arte Libre/Challenge #25 "DISPOSITION" 51,086 photos, 8,780 members
- Flickr Burnout ~ A support group 8 photos, 5 members
- Philadelphia Museum of Art 3,846 photos, 604 members
- Hammer Museum 205 photos, 44 members
- UCLA Community: Students, Alumni & Friends of the University 1,366 photos, 161 members
- UCLA Design Media Arts 1,357 photos, 165 members
- Rückenfigur 9,895 photos, 1,231 members
- *Depression and Bipolar* 6,279 photos, 584 members
- Depression and BiPolar 23,965 photos, 1,872 members
- SELF-PORTRAIT 225,032 photos, 18,078 members
- Self Portraits for the Short-Attention Span 6,666 photos, 395 members
- The Self Portrait Experience 22,259 photos, 1,380 members
- Self-Portrait With Camera [Reflected Self-Portraits Only] 28,453 photos, 12,024 members
- PSYCHOLOGY TALK 834 photos, 134 members
- Psychology 989 photos, 128 members
- Everything Baby 53,773 photos, 5,530 members
- Your Baby 72,767 photos, 6,560 members
- Protests, Political Art, Democracy, Social Change 164,062 photos, 11,118 members
- The Washington Monument 3,160 photos, 511 members
- Washington, DC Metro Area Sights 134,199 photos, 5,752 members
- Washington DC/Metro Area 176,232 photos, 8,713 members
- 50 000 views 1,633 photos, 551 members
- flickr easter eggs 2,559 photos, 224 members
- EGGS [but NO FOOD] 3,878 photos, 965 members
- 20D 9,298 photos, 293 members
- Canon 20D 103,630 photos, 3,839 members
- Canon EOS 20D 60,223 photos, 2,078 members
- Vipassana Meditation 392 photos, 87 members
- Little Fluffy Clouds 1,167 photos, 95 members
- Dark Deviations 37,788 photos, 2,796 members
- PEOPLE'S CHOICE (Post 1, Award 3) Best Quality Images!CLOSED! 99,894 photos, 13,059 members
- Ultimate Shot ~Invited Images Only! POST 1/ Comment 1 49,825 photos, 11,497 members
- Shield Of Excellence 544,142 photos, 40,776 members
- All Sizes Available 6,228 photos, 158 members
- Beautiful Mountains 97,102 photos, 5,175 members
better pigs says:
"John is one of my most loyal flickr friends, whose comments range from light and funny to deep and insightful, yet always show that his contributions are made with great care and attention.
The same holds true for his photography, or should I say imagery, which is performed and processed with attention and purpose, and often accompanied with an essay linking his knowledge about psychology, as applied to online and offline life, to the images.
There is much to see, read, interact, and enjoy in this stream. Take a dive, swim around, and take your time. Many a gem can be found."
August 17th, 2009
"John is, first of all, an extremely intelligent and very, very friendly man. He is also an incredibly gifted photographer; his photo's are often daring and subtle at the same time -- they ask questions, they make you think, laugh, reflect, ponder, smile. He finds true things in your photo's that you never imagined. His insight is remarkable; his kindness and generosity even more so. His stream is never a 'quick look' -- one has to inhabit his images for a bit. It's well worth the time. You always discover something new, something remarkable in even the ordinary. Part Zen Master, part mystic, part jester, John is above all a good and thoughtful man. His presence on flickr is like a lighthouse, or a windmill -- even though windmill's do not give off light. Oh, bother. You should get the point by now. Or not. But you won't regret the journey. Not here!"
March 4th, 2008
Ray Tomes says:
"John is one of the most interesting people that I have met on flickr. He gets me to look at things a little differently and expands my awareness, and I see that he does this for others too. Also, he is generous in his comments and a kind person. Thanks for being here."
July 19th, 2007
""IT TAKES A VILLAGE" Flickr friends were are raising each other with support and encouragement of our artistry. John is my favorite Flickr because he makes me laugh AND THINK. He is a very friendly provocateur, the prod has a psychologists wit behind it, and it always delights me."
October 15th, 2006
first exchange says:
"John's comment, "For me, photography, like all the visual arts, is learning to see," rings so true, and his pictures certainly illustrate how much he has learned. John's statement reminds me of something I heard a photographer say when his young son asked him what "to observe" means: "It means 'to learn,' " he replied."
August 22nd, 2006
gabrielas Ramigabs says:
"j'aime bien le concep et la esthetique de jhon, c'est vraiment un genius de la photographie et la chose que m'impressione le plus et son Psychologie de la couleur, c'et comment avoir un tres claiere but pour faire de photos, je te felicite tu est genial!! c'ets un domage que je ne peux pas bien comprendre en anglais mais je ferais le possible pour savoir plus de toi et ton teorie..."
June 29th, 2006
"There’s never a dull moment in John’s photo collection,
Two things that make John a great contributor to Flickr :-
For one thing, he produces fantastic photos. They are always technically excellent, but far more interesting than their technical side is their content. They make you think at all sorts of different levels and always provoke interesting debate among the viewers.
And secondly, John makes really interesting observations and comments on other peoples’ work. His comments are always helpful, insightful, encouraging and well worth the read.
John is extremely adept at image manipulation too – among other things his multiple self shots are really worth checking out."
May 17th, 2006
JZ Pixel says:
"While most photos visually please you, his pictures always make you to think! Great!"
February 21st, 2006
- John Suler
- November 2005
- Doylestown, USA
- I am:
- Male and Taken