Here's a little bit of info about myself:
My parents are originally from Portugal. I was born in the US about 9 months after they arrived. Let's just say they were really happy when they arrived.
I grew up in the Ironbound section of Newark until I was seven, attending Ann Street School. We lived right off of Independence Park (affectionately known as Mosquito Park or Parque dos Mosquitos).
In 1978, my parents purchased their first home and we moved to a small town in the Bayshore of Monmouth County (Central NJ), where I still live today. I am not afraid to admit that I absolutely love New Jersey, especially Monmouth County. Its a great place to live and enjoy life, well everything except for the cold winters :)
I started taking pictures when I was seven, with my first camera, a 110mm Yogi Bear (yes it really was a Yogi Bear face). By 7th and 8th grade, I was the yearbook editor and many of my shots were included in this school milestone.
I worked through a variety of formats and cameras during high school including the Kodak Disc Camera, Polaroid and Kodak Instamatic. I graduated to 35mm photography when I entered the Photography Arts program in High School and successfully competed in the New Jersey Performing Arts Festival for two years winning several awards.
During my college years, photography through film became progressively more expensive. My penchant for shooting became extremely limited to my away travels. Although I cut way back, my love of photographs never waned.
So you can imagine how happy I was with the invention of the digital camera! In 1999, I purchased my first, a Sony FD-71 and have slowly brought myself back into the world of taking pictures for the fun of it. I have also used a Konica Minolta Dimage X1 8 MPs which is about the size of a credit card and my first DSLR was a Nikon D80 10 MPs. My current Main Camera is a Sony a7ii Mirrorless 24mp as well as my current cell phone, the Samsung Galaxy 8+.
As an early adopter of the technology, my photos have survived several defunct photo sharing sites throughout the years. Finally Flickr came along...and I am so hooked ;)
I am very proud of my country and state. Regardless of the jokes, the fact is I live in one of the best places in the world. I really enjoy the diversity of the NJ. And I think that's why I enjoy Flickr so much, with so many wonderful people from all over the world.
Personality wise, I am a progressive, open minded person. I'm also unapologetically sarcastic, but that's part of my charm. I believe the fabric of life is made up of all the wonderful and diverse people, places and dimensions of this world. And that's what I strive to incorporate that into my photographs. There is beauty everywhere and my hope is to be able to capture it and share it. And I truly enjoy seeing everyone's view of the world.
Right now, I am still recovering from a car accident that damaged several nerves in my neck and back area. I suffer from pain in my neck, shoulder and back on a daily basis. It is a slow and long recovery. In 2010, I suffered a heart attack with 99% blockage due to a congenital defect. Thankfully, the arteries and other veins were ok, as was I after a quick 48 hour stay in the ICU at Riverview Hospital. I also suffer from Psoriasis, which is a debilitating immune system disorder that can play havoc with your skin in the form of red and white scales that can severely itch, burn, bleed, as well as develop into Psoriatic Arthritis. I've suffered from all of these since I was diagnosed when I was 6. Ongoing research has also linked this immune system disease to muscle degeneration (weakness, heart disease), Nervous System Disorder, Vision Problems, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, etc. I consider myself lucky waking up each day, no matter the pain and frustration I may encounter.
In addition, I also Admin and participate in some great groups. So check them out and explore my Flickr World.
Blessings of Peace, Love, Joy and Prosperity to all!
Feel free to add me as a friend on any of my Social Media sites. Just let me know you are from flickr :)
- Fotografía Amateur 9,639 photos, 199 members
- Classic & Antique Cars 14,408 photos, 258 members
- FLORIDA'S PALMS 465 photos, 51 members
- I'm a Nikonist. That's why! P2/FAV1 4,469 photos, 323 members
- Universidade de Coimbra 1,696 photos, 184 members
- Project Weather 629,038 photos, 93,347 members
- South Mountain Conservancy 105 photos, 8 members
- Thanksgiving 1,467 photos, 401 members
- British Transport Police 2,972 photos, 446 members
- City 551,608 photos, 20,221 members
- Tamron Lens Users (USA) 117,087 photos, 4,312 members
- Your Preferred Picture **WELCOME! ** 157,912 photos, 2,727 members
- Sorria / Smile 11,573 photos, 3,040 members
- Flickr ♥♥♥ Friends 30,866 photos, 755 members
- Pumpkinsss!! 443 photos, 95 members
- The Reader 810 photos, 216 members
- the luckiest people 585 photos, 115 members
- signs, signs, everywhere a sign... 2,284 photos, 284 members
- SPACE AND ARCHITECTURE 33,313 photos, 1,207 members
- Window seat please 114,589 photos, 30,308 members
- Geotagged: New Jersey 4,024 photos, 92 members
- barking up the wrong tree 766 photos, 270 members
- New Jersey Hot Air Balloon Festival 1,013 photos, 141 members
- Holmdel Park, Monmouth County NJ 58 photos, 10 members
- Natal no Brasil 757 photos, 333 members
- " Happy Pets ♡ " 10,441 photos, 542 members
- Luper Cemetery Friends 177 photos, 30 members
- WorldLandscapes 517,175 photos, 13,492 members
- We want Flickr with a DARK BACKGROUND!! (NOT PHOTO) 8 photos, 11,085 members
- Backyard Wonders 782 photos, 76 members
- RED IS WONDERFUL ! 18,401 photos, 1,008 members
- ~Sun, Sand and Surf~ 10,139 photos, 589 members
- Close-up & Macro Photography 2,249 photos, 232 members
- Museus do Brasil 1,160 photos, 190 members
- Flickr United (Award 3) 894,244 photos, 22,147 members
- Transportation Of The World 372,027 photos, 1,808 members
- Hudson River Sloop Clearwater 280 photos, 40 members
- Buildings - Around the World 121,722 photos, 2,170 members
- Flickr Group Review 0 photos, 1,681 members
- CARNAVAL 2009 377 photos, 127 members
- Beards! REREAD RULES 4,008 photos, 1,352 members
- Roses 108,049 photos, 14,326 members
- Smoke, Fumer, K'mi, Rauchen, Fumar... 19,101 photos, 6,230 members
- Admin Help -- Assistance for Groups 3 photos, 820 members
- Admin Help 3,677 photos, 1,489 members
- The World Beard & Moustache Championships 1,327 photos, 278 members
- Man Ray Gallery 1 photo, 3,207 members
- Fort Wadsworth, Staten Island, New York 156 photos, 38 members
- The Unexplained, Orbs or Ghostly apparitions, Welcome! 414 photos, 504 members
- Graves, Tombs, and Cemetaries 19,685 photos, 530 members
"Since i been on Flickr, Nelo has definitely been one of the nicest and greatest guys to have as a friend on flickr. His creative and imaginative style is quite pleasing. His variety of photos will please anyone looking for a mixture of everything having to do with photography and life. To a fellow Jersey guy, keep up the good work! "God is good, but never dance in a small boat!" Long life and good health always!!"
February 28th, 2008
"Has a very impressive eye for photography and is one of my dear friends. I love his work and he's definitely a role model to me."
January 14th, 2008
Free Of The Demon says:
"As of Sept 2007 I decided to enter the field of photography. After looking at all the excellent work in As Seen Through Hazel Eyes/Nelo I think I have grown in leaps and bounds. It is written "A picture is worth a thousand words",needless to say, your thousands of pictures are priceless. Thank you for the opportunity of allowing me to be a member of your group. "You are definitely the man"
Ed Free of the Demon"
December 10th, 2007
"Nelo has a great photographic eye and wondeful sense of humour, I'm very proud to call him my flickr friend."
October 23rd, 2007
"I must admit Nelo is the man - and all this time I thought it was I who was the man. Nelo thank you and I appreciate your nice words as your photographs are very impressive - Keep up the good work.
September 6th, 2007
nebulous building says:
"His photostream is a delightful encounter with the "love of photography".. you feel his joy , and sometimes a little bit of sorrow. His set of newYork, and 911 is so touching.. It should be memorialized in a book. Nelo is a true person, and a captivating artist at work. . Enjoy,!.. and keep clicking!"
July 7th, 2007
silent cup says:
"Nelo is very inspiring and knowledgeable, not to mention a wonderful photographer!"
April 12th, 2007
Anirban Brahma says:
"Hey, I dont know how u take so Beautiful Pics... But they r really nice and u r a Very Very good photographer and a nice person...
Keep up the good work....
Keep it going...""
October 25th, 2006
"Nelo was one of the first people I met on Flickr. He's got a wonderful eye and a big heart! He always leaves me great comments and I can only hope to someday take shots that would compare to his! Bravo my friend! You Rock!!"
April 4th, 2006
- October 2005
- Newark, New Jersey
- Hillsborough, New Jersey, USA
- I am:
- Male and Taken