Here's a little bit of info about myself:
My parents are originally from Portugal. I was born in the US about 9 months after they arrived. Let's just say they were really happy when they arrived.
I grew up in the Ironbound section of Newark until I was seven, attending Ann Street School. We lived right off of Independence Park (affectionately known as Mosquito Park or Parque dos Mosquitos).
In 1978, my parents purchased their first home and we moved to a small town in the Bayshore of Monmouth County (Central NJ), where I still live today. I am not afraid to admit that I absolutely love New Jersey, especially Monmouth County. Its a great place to live and enjoy life, well everything except for the cold winters :)
I started taking pictures when I was seven, with my first camera, a 110mm Yogi Bear (yes it really was a Yogi Bear face). By 7th and 8th grade, I was the yearbook editor and many of my shots were included in this school milestone.
I worked through a variety of formats and cameras during high school including the Kodak Disc Camera, Polaroid and Kodak Instamatic. I graduated to 35mm photography when I entered the Photography Arts program in High School and successfully competed in the New Jersey Performing Arts Festival for two years winning several awards.
During my college years, photography through film became progressively more expensive. My penchant for shooting became extremely limited to my away travels. Although I cut way back, my love of photographs never waned.
So you can imagine how happy I was with the invention of the digital camera! In 1999, I purchased my first, a Sony FD-71 and have slowly brought myself back into the world of taking pictures for the fun of it. I currently use a Konica Minolta Dimage X1 8 MPs which is about the size of a credit card and my first DSLR, Nikon D80 10 MPs.
As an early adopter of the technology, my photos have survived several defunct photo sharing sites throughout the years. Finally Flickr came along...and I am so hooked ;)
I am very proud of my country and state. Regardless of the jokes, the fact is I live in one of the best places in the world. I really enjoy the diversity of the NJ. And I think that's why I enjoy Flickr so much, with so many wonderful people from all over the world.
Personality wise, I am a moderate, open minded person. I'm also a bit sarcastic, but that's part of my charm. I believe the fabric of life is made up of all the wonderful and diverse people, places and dimensions of this world. And that's what I strive to incorporate that into my photographs. There is beauty everywhere and my hope is to be able to capture it and share it. And I truly enjoy seeing everyone's view of the world.
Right now, I am still recovering from a car accident that damaged several nerves in my neck and back area. I suffer from pain in my neck, shoulder and back on a daily basis. It is a slow and long recovery. A few years I suffered a heart attack with 99% blockage due to a congenital defect in a vein. Thankfully, the arteries and other veins were ok, as was I after a quick 48 hour stay in the ICU at Riverview Hospital.
In addition, I also Admin and participate in some great groups. So check them out and explore my Flickr World.
Blessings of Peace, Love, Joy and Prosperity to all!
Feel free to add me as a friend on any or all of the following. Just let me know you are from flickr :)
Add Me on Facebook:
Facebook: Nelo Esteves
Add Me on MySpace:
MySpace: Nelo Esteves
Follow Me on Twitter:
Twitter: Nelo Esteves
Bookmark My Photo Web Page:
Manuel Esteves Photography
- Fotografía Amateur 7,089 photos, 199 members
- Classic & Antique Cars 7,842 photos, 243 members
- FLORIDA'S PALMS 173 photos, 48 members
- I'm a Nikonist. That's why! P2/FAV1 4,190 photos, 324 members
- Universidade de Coimbra 1,629 photos, 180 members
- Project Weather 643,474 photos, 93,964 members
- South Mountain Conservancy 105 photos, 8 members
- Thanksgiving 1,441 photos, 383 members
- British Transport Police 2,394 photos, 436 members
- City 366,564 photos, 15,381 members
- Tamron Lens Users (USA) 92,560 photos, 3,880 members
- Your Preferred Picture **WELCOME! ** 108,177 photos, 2,488 members
- Sorria / Smile 11,913 photos, 3,059 members
- Flickr ♥♥♥ Friends 28,587 photos, 762 members
- Pumpkinsss!! 378 photos, 89 members
- The Reader 752 photos, 216 members
- the luckiest people 590 photos, 113 members
- signs, signs, everywhere a sign... 2,287 photos, 272 members
- SPACE AND ARCHITECTURE 28,817 photos, 1,178 members
- Window seat please 109,253 photos, 29,674 members
- Geotagged: New Jersey 3,319 photos, 82 members
- barking up the wrong tree 804 photos, 280 members
- New Jersey Hot Air Balloon Festival 1,016 photos, 143 members
- Holmdel Park, Monmouth County NJ 57 photos, 10 members
- Natal no Brasil 754 photos, 331 members
- " Happy Pets ♡ " 7,831 photos, 472 members
- Luper Cemetery Friends 177 photos, 30 members
- WorldLandscapes 412,393 photos, 12,182 members
- We want Flickr with a DARK BACKGROUND!! (NOT PHOTO) 8 photos, 11,276 members
- Backyard Wonders 911 photos, 79 members
- RED IS WONDERFUL ! 13,741 photos, 898 members
- ~Sun, Sand and Surf~ 7,868 photos, 539 members
- Close-up & Macro Photography 2,236 photos, 233 members
- Museus do Brasil 1,070 photos, 179 members
- Flickr United (Award 3) 739,905 photos, 21,314 members
- Transportation Of The World 278,284 photos, 1,687 members
- Hudson River Sloop Clearwater 281 photos, 42 members
- Buildings - Around the World 94,153 photos, 1,975 members
- Flickr Group Review 0 photos, 1,702 members
- CARNAVAL 2009 446 photos, 128 members
- Beards! REREAD RULES 3,761 photos, 1,298 members
- Roses 102,690 photos, 14,328 members
- Smoke, Fumer, K'mi, Rauchen, Fumar... 18,569 photos, 6,289 members
- Admin Help -- Assistance for Groups 3 photos, 752 members
- Admin Help 2,958 photos, 1,462 members
- The World Beard & Moustache Championships 1,307 photos, 264 members
- Man Ray Gallery 1 photo, 3,245 members
- Fort Wadsworth, Staten Island, New York 156 photos, 39 members
- The Unexplained, Orbs or Ghostly apparitions, Welcome! 421 photos, 507 members
- Graves, Tombs, and Cemetaries 15,227 photos, 468 members
"Since i been on Flickr, Nelo has definitely been one of the nicest and greatest guys to have as a friend on flickr. His creative and imaginative style is quite pleasing. His variety of photos will please anyone looking for a mixture of everything having to do with photography and life. To a fellow Jersey guy, keep up the good work! "God is good, but never dance in a small boat!" Long life and good health always!!"
February 28th, 2008
"Has a very impressive eye for photography and is one of my dear friends. I love his work and he's definitely a role model to me."
January 14th, 2008
Free Of The Demon says:
"As of Sept 2007 I decided to enter the field of photography. After looking at all the excellent work in As Seen Through Hazel Eyes/Nelo I think I have grown in leaps and bounds. It is written "A picture is worth a thousand words",needless to say, your thousands of pictures are priceless. Thank you for the opportunity of allowing me to be a member of your group. "You are definitely the man"
Ed Free of the Demon"
December 10th, 2007
"Nelo has a great photographic eye and wondeful sense of humour, I'm very proud to call him my flickr friend."
October 23rd, 2007
"I must admit Nelo is the man - and all this time I thought it was I who was the man. Nelo thank you and I appreciate your nice words as your photographs are very impressive - Keep up the good work.
September 6th, 2007
Larry and Isa says:
"His photostream is a delightful encounter with the "love of photography".. you feel his joy , and sometimes a little bit of sorrow. His set of newYork, and 911 is so touching.. It should be memorialized in a book. Nelo is a true person, and a captivating artist at work. . Enjoy,!.. and keep clicking!"
July 7th, 2007
"Nelo is very inspiring and knowledgeable, not to mention a wonderful photographer!"
April 12th, 2007
Anirban Brahma says:
"Hey, I dont know how u take so Beautiful Pics... But they r really nice and u r a Very Very good photographer and a nice person...
Keep up the good work....
Keep it going...""
October 25th, 2006
"Nelo was one of the first people I met on Flickr. He's got a wonderful eye and a big heart! He always leaves me great comments and I can only hope to someday take shots that would compare to his! Bravo my friend! You Rock!!"
April 4th, 2006
- October 2005
- Newark, New Jersey
- Keyport, New Jersey, USA
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Nelo Esteves