I am an amateur hobby photographer. I purchased a new Nikon D50 in May 2006 and have been enjoying the DSLR experience. I started with the 18-55mm kit lens and later purchased a 70-300mm G lens. I loved both of them, but got the bug for the 18-200VR, so I sold the 18-55 and 70-300 on eBay and made the move to the 18-200VR. I also have a 50mm 1.8, which is an awesome low-priced lens, but to be honest, my 18-200VR doesn't come off my camera very often.
I have recently started experimenting with HDR, using Photomatix Pro, which is a lot of fun. I like taking pictures of old buildings, anything rusty or crusty, landscapes, animals, and since I love cars, I do have a few pictures of them too.
Please visit my photostream often and don't hesitate to make comments, either positive or to offer constructive criticism. That's how us ameteurs learn to get better.
I have been married for 38 years and luckily my wife tolerates my photographer hobby (until I want to purchase a new accessory).
UPDATED April 1, 2008.
I thought I would update my equipment profile. I recently purchased a new Nikon D80 and a Nikon 80-200 f/2.8 lens. My D80 came with the 18-135mm, so I sold my 18-200VR. Probably a mistake, but the 18-135 is a good walk-around lens and I find that I use my 80-200 most of the time when I'm out on a serious shoot.
Another equipment update - Aug. 8, 2008
I know...a photographer is never satisfied with his equipment and I am a good example of that. I just purchased a new Tamron 200-500mm lens. I haven't had much of a chance to try it out yet, so I'll keep you informed.
Update: February 2009
My wife's going to kill me, but I bought another lens. I just puchased a Nikkor 70-300mm VR lens and so far I really love it. It gives me a nice compliment to my 18-135 and my Tamron 200-500.
Update: March 2009
Since I lived through the last upgrade (see above), I thought I would risk it one more time. When BestBuy.com recently offered the Nikon D200 for $599, I just couldn't resist.
Equipment update: August 2009
Here I go again. When Sigma came out with the 18-250mm OS HSM recently, I was sceptical, but I started to read some pretty impressive reviews, so I thought...what the heck. I am hoping it can replace my 18-135 and 70-300mm lenses, so I don't have to change lenses as often. So far, I really like it, but I want to try it out a little longer before I dump the other two lenses.
Another lens update: September 2009
I was so impressed with the Sigma 18-250mm that I bought a Sigma 150-500mm to complement it. So far, I think it was a good buy. I will definitely be selling my Nikon 18-135, 70-300vr and Tamron 200-500. Thank goodness for eBay.
UPDATE: January 2010
I found a good deal on a Nikon 300mm f/4 lens on eBay and thought I would give it a try. So far, if you can hold it steady, you can get some VERY sharp shots with it.
UPDATE: February 2010
I had some issues with my D200 and after sending it in to the GeekSquad once and to Nikon the second time, neither one could find the problem so Best Buy gave me my money back (I had a protection plan). Sadly, I couldn't afford a new D300 or D300s, so I bought a D90. I really liked the bigger, heavier body of the D200, but the D90 gets great reviews, so it should be fine.
Another Equipment Update: Sept. 2010
I just purchased a new Sigma APO DG 70-200mm f/2.8 II Macro HSM. I liked the Nikon 300 f/4, but really wanted a zoom lens that I could use for indoor sports and other low-light situations. So far, I think I made a good choice. I would have loved the Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 VR but they were nearly three times as much money and the new Sigma OS was twice as much.
I haven't updated my equipment information for quite some time, so here is my current setup. I am shooting with a Nikon D90 and a Sigma 150-500mm lens, which rarely comes off my camera. I also have a D5000 which I usually use to photograph the grandkids.
January 2014 update:
Just before Christmas (2013) I bought a Nikon D7000 as an update to my old trusty D90. It came with an 18-140mm, so I gifted my D90 and the 18-105mm I had on my wife's D5100 and put the 18-140mm on her camera. So far I am real happy with the D7000, which I will normally (probably always) have my old Sigma 150-500mm lens.
Lens update, March 2016.
I just purchased a used Tamron 150-600mm lens to shoot wildlife with my Nikon D7000. So far I really like it.
Update: February 2017
Last year I upgraded to a D7200 (still have the D7000) and recently purchased a Nikon 200-500mm f/5.6. Still doing mostly wildlife, especially birds.
- Nikkor AF-S 200-500mm f/5.6E ED VR 35,061 photos, 2,012 members
- Nikon/Nikkor 200–500mm f/5.6E ED VR 755 photos, 54 members
- Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 200-500mm f/5.6E ED VR 1,180 photos, 77 members
- Nikon 200-500 5.6 VR 2,815 photos, 201 members
- Motorcycle Cruiser, Honda Shadow 490 photos, 160 members
- Honda Motorcycles 21,577 photos, 2,334 members
- My Motorcycle 8,251 photos, 877 members
- Nikon D7000, D7100 & D7200 Excellence 1,226 photos, 241 members
- Nikon 7200 33,300 photos, 1,472 members
- Nikon D7200: From Snapshots to Great Shots 10,318 photos, 289 members
- D7100 / D7200 CLUB 243,280 photos, 6,092 members
- Nikon D7200 Club 36,004 photos, 1,239 members
- Nikon D7200 Official Group 68,326 photos, 2,748 members
- Nikon D7200 63,006 photos, 1,713 members
- Nikon Nature D7200 9,538 photos, 688 members
- Nikon Coolpix P900 7,741 photos, 259 members
- Nikon - Nature 51,625 photos, 1,025 members
- Nikon Digital Magic 581,482 photos, 7,960 members
- Nikon Coolpixes 41,543 photos, 811 members
- Nikon Coolpix Nature 3,189 photos, 72 members
- Nikon Coolpix P Series User Group 9,380 photos, 309 members
- Nikon Coolpix Users (formerly Addicts) Group 105,164 photos, 2,241 members
- Birds of Prey 36,598 photos, 2,009 members
- Raptors Of North America 54,546 photos, 1,648 members
- Bald Eagles 17,501 photos, 882 members
- Eagles of the World 29,827 photos, 4,209 members
- Eagle Photography 15,391 photos, 1,687 members
- Nikon P900 users 5,440 photos, 313 members
- NIKON P900 14,301 photos, 609 members
- Official Jeep® Group 17,448 photos, 2,533 members
- Corvette are cool 1,100 photos, 51 members
- Corvette City 4,623 photos, 264 members
- Corvettes Old and New 6,843 photos, 286 members
- (C4) Corvettes 843 photos, 138 members
- Corvette drivers corvette lovers 8,562 photos, 491 members
- Corvette - Creative (read rules before posting) 8,427 photos, 2,153 members
- Corvette Enthusiast 167 photos, 27 members
- Corvettes 6,794 photos, 554 members
- Corvette Stream 4,375 photos, 410 members
- Nikon D3100,D3200, D3300,D5100,D5200,D5300,D7000,D7100 group 944,935 photos, 32,067 members
- NationalEagleCenter 7,356 photos, 429 members
- NIKON D7000 CLUB 758,336 photos, 28,276 members
- HDR meets Orton (for pictures combining HDR and Orton) 7,038 photos, 1,540 members
- HDR & Orton 6,074 photos, 361 members
- Orton 25,602 photos, 4,409 members
- SCCA Racing Photos 4,086 photos, 210 members
- Visit Austin Texas 3,243 photos, 308 members
- Texas 188,798 photos, 6,454 members
- Beatrice Photo Collaboration 81 photos, 6 members
- Air Shows 242,783 photos, 7,334 members
"JC is my uncle and you can't say a bad thing about family but I would say great things about JC even if he wasn't family. I always admired his equipment and his work, and he is the reason I am now very much involved in this hobby!! Thank you JC and wish for your continued spectacular works of art!!!"
December 23rd, 2008
"jc describes himself as a amateur photographer married 37 years (Mrs. jc gets that credit!) however his photos would indicate otherwise. A true life long friend that you can count on is a rare thing. I am very fortunate to have one in my true friend, jc."
January 22nd, 2008
"This man introduced me to my first really good digital camera. In fact he gifted it to me. He is an amazing photographer and has become adept at HDR. I admire him and thank him for giving me the opportunity to nurture yet another neurotic artistic tendancy. Thank you JC for all of your encouragement and wonderful comments that you leave for my photos."
September 30th, 2007
- John Carrel
- January 2007
- Beatrice, NE
- Beatrice, NE, USA
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Retired Firefighter