I am an amateur hobby photographer. I purchased a new Nikon D50 in May 2006 and have been enjoying the DSLR experience. I started with the 18-55mm kit lens and later purchased a 70-300mm G lens. I loved both of them, but got the bug for the 18-200VR, so I sold the 18-55 and 70-300 on eBay and made the move to the 18-200VR. I also have a 50mm 1.8, which is an awesome low-priced lens, but to be honest, my 18-200VR doesn't come off my camera very often.
I have recently started experimenting with HDR, using Photomatix Pro, which is a lot of fun. I like taking pictures of old buildings, anything rusty or crusty, landscapes, animals, and since I love cars, I do have a few pictures of them too.
Please visit my photostream often and don't hesitate to make comments, either positive or to offer constructive criticism. That's how us ameteurs learn to get better.
I have been married for 38 years and luckily my wife tolerates my photographer hobby (until I want to purchase a new accessory).
UPDATED April 1, 2008.
I thought I would update my equipment profile. I recently purchased a new Nikon D80 and a Nikon 80-200 f/2.8 lens. My D80 came with the 18-135mm, so I sold my 18-200VR. Probably a mistake, but the 18-135 is a good walk-around lens and I find that I use my 80-200 most of the time when I'm out on a serious shoot.
Another equipment update - Aug. 8, 2008
I know...a photographer is never satisfied with his equipment and I am a good example of that. I just purchased a new Tamron 200-500mm lens. I haven't had much of a chance to try it out yet, so I'll keep you informed.
Update: February 2009
My wife's going to kill me, but I bought another lens. I just puchased a Nikkor 70-300mm VR lens and so far I really love it. It gives me a nice compliment to my 18-135 and my Tamron 200-500.
Update: March 2009
Since I lived through the last upgrade (see above), I thought I would risk it one more time. When BestBuy.com recently offered the Nikon D200 for $599, I just couldn't resist.
Equipment update: August 2009
Here I go again. When Sigma came out with the 18-250mm OS HSM recently, I was sceptical, but I started to read some pretty impressive reviews, so I thought...what the heck. I am hoping it can replace my 18-135 and 70-300mm lenses, so I don't have to change lenses as often. So far, I really like it, but I want to try it out a little longer before I dump the other two lenses.
Another lens update: September 2009
I was so impressed with the Sigma 18-250mm that I bought a Sigma 150-500mm to complement it. So far, I think it was a good buy. I will definitely be selling my Nikon 18-135, 70-300vr and Tamron 200-500. Thank goodness for eBay.
UPDATE: January 2010
I found a good deal on a Nikon 300mm f/4 lens on eBay and thought I would give it a try. So far, if you can hold it steady, you can get some VERY sharp shots with it.
UPDATE: February 2010
I had some issues with my D200 and after sending it in to the GeekSquad once and to Nikon the second time, neither one could find the problem so Best Buy gave me my money back (I had a protection plan). Sadly, I couldn't afford a new D300 or D300s, so I bought a D90. I really liked the bigger, heavier body of the D200, but the D90 gets great reviews, so it should be fine.
Another Equipment Update: Sept. 2010
I just purchased a new Sigma APO DG 70-200mm f/2.8 II Macro HSM. I liked the Nikon 300 f/4, but really wanted a zoom lens that I could use for indoor sports and other low-light situations. So far, I think I made a good choice. I would have loved the Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 VR but they were nearly three times as much money and the new Sigma OS was twice as much.
I haven't updated my equipment information for quite some time, so here is my current setup. I am shooting with a Nikon D90 and a Sigma 150-500mm lens, which rarely comes off my camera. I also have a D5000 which I usually use to photograph the grandkids.
January 2014 update:
Just before Christmas (2013) I bought a Nikon D7000 as an update to my old trusty D90. It came with an 18-140mm, so I gifted my D90 and the 18-105mm I had on my wife's D5100 and put the 18-140mm on her camera. So far I am real happy with the D7000, which I will normally (probably always) have my old Sigma 150-500mm lens.
- Nikon D3100,D3200, D3300,D5100,D5200,D5300,D7000,D7100 group 577,547 photos, 25,373 members
- NationalEagleCenter 6,033 photos, 387 members
- NIKON D7000 CLUB 640,460 photos, 26,753 members
- HDR meets Orton (for pictures combining HDR and Orton) 6,897 photos, 1,547 members
- HDR & Orton 5,762 photos, 350 members
- Orton 25,461 photos, 4,444 members
- Nikon D5100 with 18-105mm 1,456 photos, 92 members
- Nikkor AF-S DX 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 ED VR 93,015 photos, 4,056 members
- Your Best Shot Nikon D5100 12,025 photos, 543 members
- Nikon D 5100 18,337 photos, 523 members
- Nikon D5100 Users 15,920 photos, 494 members
- Nikon D5100: North American Shooters 8,219 photos, 670 members
- Nikon D5100 best picture 10,899 photos, 417 members
- Nikon D5100! 32,327 photos, 1,133 members
- Nikon D5100 400,687 photos, 12,563 members
- Nikon D5100 - Your best Pics 35,996 photos, 3,615 members
- NIKON D5100 - Official group. 108,171 photos, 4,623 members
- SCCA Racing Photos 3,420 photos, 184 members
- Visit Austin Texas 2,721 photos, 250 members
- Austin 87,336 photos, 4,671 members
- Texas 161,874 photos, 5,937 members
- Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM WildLife Only 4,936 photos, 198 members
- Beatrice Photo Collaboration 83 photos, 8 members
- artland 766,576 photos, 35,747 members
- Air Shows 192,555 photos, 6,631 members
- Air Show Photos 24,905 photos, 665 members
- Marshall County Kansas 168 photos, 6 members
- Roller Derby 42,113 photos, 5,499 members
- DM's Lair 17,210 photos, 641 members
- Group wi†h Ҽxperience 2,648,974 photos, 313,815 members
- **Nature Only** 100%Nature ~ NO People / NO Building (Award1) 15,642 photos, 515 members
- Natural Nebraska 4,086 photos, 114 members
- Good Photos - Good Views 13,172 photos, 166 members
- National Geographic Group 412,396 photos, 17,208 members
- Women's College Volleyball 3,165 photos, 690 members
- Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 II APO EX DG Macro 2,743 photos, 181 members
- SIGMA APO 70-200mm f 2.8 EX DG HSM (Macro) 13,468 photos, 1,605 members
- Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 II EX DG APO Macro HSM AF Lens 1,725 photos, 174 members
- Sigma 70-200 mm f/2.8 EX 42,729 photos, 2,675 members
- You made my day 103,824 photos, 2,458 members
- FotoVotr 17,999 photos, 1,397 members
- I Rock A Nikon! 49,675 photos, 497 members
- South Dakota 21,756 photos, 1,048 members
- Badlands National Park 1,975 photos, 259 members
- Badlands 5,678 photos, 438 members
- South Dakota Parks - National, State, County and City Parks 2,905 photos, 256 members
- **The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota** 3,791 photos, 291 members
- The Black Hills of South Dakota 4,884 photos, 460 members
- National Parks, Monuments and Historical Sites 46,825 photos, 2,129 members
- Wyoming "The Cowboy State" 15,433 photos, 691 members
"JC is my uncle and you can't say a bad thing about family but I would say great things about JC even if he wasn't family. I always admired his equipment and his work, and he is the reason I am now very much involved in this hobby!! Thank you JC and wish for your continued spectacular works of art!!!"
December 23rd, 2008
"jc describes himself as a amateur photographer married 37 years (Mrs. jc gets that credit!) however his photos would indicate otherwise. A true life long friend that you can count on is a rare thing. I am very fortunate to have one in my true friend, jc."
January 22nd, 2008
"This man introduced me to my first really good digital camera. In fact he gifted it to me. He is an amazing photographer and has become adept at HDR. I admire him and thank him for giving me the opportunity to nurture yet another neurotic artistic tendancy. Thank you JC for all of your encouragement and wonderful comments that you leave for my photos."
September 30th, 2007
- John Carrel
- January 2007
- Beatrice, NE
- Beatrice, NE, USA
- I am:
- Male and Taken