I am an amateur hobby photographer. I purchased a new Nikon D50 in May 2006 and have been enjoying the DSLR experience. I started with the 18-55mm kit lens and later purchased a 70-300mm G lens. I loved both of them, but got the bug for the 18-200VR, so I sold the 18-55 and 70-300 on eBay and made the move to the 18-200VR. I also have a 50mm 1.8, which is an awesome low-priced lens, but to be honest, my 18-200VR doesn't come off my camera very often.
I have recently started experimenting with HDR, using Photomatix Pro, which is a lot of fun. I like taking pictures of old buildings, anything rusty or crusty, landscapes, animals, and since I love cars, I do have a few pictures of them too.
Please visit my photostream often and don't hesitate to make comments, either positive or to offer constructive criticism. That's how us ameteurs learn to get better.
I have been married for 38 years and luckily my wife tolerates my photographer hobby (until I want to purchase a new accessory).
UPDATED April 1, 2008.
I thought I would update my equipment profile. I recently purchased a new Nikon D80 and a Nikon 80-200 f/2.8 lens. My D80 came with the 18-135mm, so I sold my 18-200VR. Probably a mistake, but the 18-135 is a good walk-around lens and I find that I use my 80-200 most of the time when I'm out on a serious shoot.
Another equipment update - Aug. 8, 2008
I know...a photographer is never satisfied with his equipment and I am a good example of that. I just purchased a new Tamron 200-500mm lens. I haven't had much of a chance to try it out yet, so I'll keep you informed.
Update: February 2009
My wife's going to kill me, but I bought another lens. I just puchased a Nikkor 70-300mm VR lens and so far I really love it. It gives me a nice compliment to my 18-135 and my Tamron 200-500.
Update: March 2009
Since I lived through the last upgrade (see above), I thought I would risk it one more time. When BestBuy.com recently offered the Nikon D200 for $599, I just couldn't resist.
Equipment update: August 2009
Here I go again. When Sigma came out with the 18-250mm OS HSM recently, I was sceptical, but I started to read some pretty impressive reviews, so I thought...what the heck. I am hoping it can replace my 18-135 and 70-300mm lenses, so I don't have to change lenses as often. So far, I really like it, but I want to try it out a little longer before I dump the other two lenses.
Another lens update: September 2009
I was so impressed with the Sigma 18-250mm that I bought a Sigma 150-500mm to complement it. So far, I think it was a good buy. I will definitely be selling my Nikon 18-135, 70-300vr and Tamron 200-500. Thank goodness for eBay.
UPDATE: January 2010
I found a good deal on a Nikon 300mm f/4 lens on eBay and thought I would give it a try. So far, if you can hold it steady, you can get some VERY sharp shots with it.
UPDATE: February 2010
I had some issues with my D200 and after sending it in to the GeekSquad once and to Nikon the second time, neither one could find the problem so Best Buy gave me my money back (I had a protection plan). Sadly, I couldn't afford a new D300 or D300s, so I bought a D90. I really liked the bigger, heavier body of the D200, but the D90 gets great reviews, so it should be fine.
Another Equipment Update: Sept. 2010
I just purchased a new Sigma APO DG 70-200mm f/2.8 II Macro HSM. I liked the Nikon 300 f/4, but really wanted a zoom lens that I could use for indoor sports and other low-light situations. So far, I think I made a good choice. I would have loved the Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 VR but they were nearly three times as much money and the new Sigma OS was twice as much.
I haven't updated my equipment information for quite some time, so here is my current setup. I am shooting with a Nikon D90 and a Sigma 150-500mm lens, which rarely comes off my camera. I also have a D5000 which I usually use to photograph the grandkids.
January 2014 update:
Just before Christmas (2013) I bought a Nikon D7000 as an update to my old trusty D90. It came with an 18-140mm, so I gifted my D90 and the 18-105mm I had on my wife's D5100 and put the 18-140mm on her camera. So far I am real happy with the D7000, which I will normally (probably always) have my old Sigma 150-500mm lens.
Lens update, March 2016.
I just purchased a used Tamron 150-600mm lens to shoot wildlife with my Nikon D7000. So far I really like it.
- Nikon D7000, D7100 & D7200 Excellence 1,226 photos, 211 members
- Tamron 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD Nikon/Canon/Sony 1,136 photos, 49 members
- Nikon D7200 + Tamron Sp 150 600 mm Vc usd 127 photos, 21 members
- Nikon 7200 16,364 photos, 783 members
- Nikon D7200: From Snapshots to Great Shots 5,471 photos, 215 members
- D7100 / D7200 CLUB 191,577 photos, 5,256 members
- Nikon D7200 Club 21,522 photos, 870 members
- Nikon D7200 Official Group 43,878 photos, 2,050 members
- Nikon D7200 37,522 photos, 1,157 members
- Nikon Nature D7200 5,834 photos, 453 members
- Nikon Coolpix P900 7,350 photos, 217 members
- Nikon - Nature 34,969 photos, 771 members
- Nikon Digital Magic 490,446 photos, 7,016 members
- Nikon Coolpixes 39,390 photos, 797 members
- Nikon Coolpix Nature 2,603 photos, 65 members
- Nikon Coolpix P Series User Group 7,687 photos, 297 members
- Nikon Coolpix Users (formerly Addicts) Group 100,369 photos, 2,215 members
- Birds of Prey 31,991 photos, 1,899 members
- Raptors Of North America 46,801 photos, 1,470 members
- Bald Eagles 15,508 photos, 822 members
- Eagles of the World 27,888 photos, 4,036 members
- Eagle Photography 12,795 photos, 1,493 members
- Nikon P900 users 3,326 photos, 230 members
- NIKON P900 9,207 photos, 462 members
- Tamron 150-600 Nikon mount 22,264 photos, 799 members
- Tamron 150-600 mm 26,894 photos, 704 members
- Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD 14,256 photos, 510 members
- Tamron 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD 48,431 photos, 2,718 members
- Tamron Lens Users (USA) 87,164 photos, 3,773 members
- Official Jeep® Group 17,049 photos, 2,473 members
- Corvette are cool 1,009 photos, 42 members
- Corvette City 4,291 photos, 240 members
- Corvettes Old and New 6,381 photos, 253 members
- (C4) Corvettes 830 photos, 135 members
- Corvette drivers corvette lovers 8,017 photos, 455 members
- Corvette - Creative (read rules before posting) 8,332 photos, 2,112 members
- Corvette Enthusiast 122 photos, 19 members
- Corvettes 6,526 photos, 532 members
- Corvette Stream 4,027 photos, 385 members
- Nikon D3100,D3200, D3300,D5100,D5200,D5300,D7000,D7100 group 840,607 photos, 30,066 members
- NationalEagleCenter 6,957 photos, 421 members
- NIKON D7000 CLUB 731,918 photos, 27,914 members
- HDR meets Orton (for pictures combining HDR and Orton) 6,932 photos, 1,545 members
- HDR & Orton 5,950 photos, 357 members
- Orton 25,523 photos, 4,432 members
- Nikon D5100 with 18-105mm 1,709 photos, 103 members
- Your Best Shot Nikon D5100 14,836 photos, 604 members
- Nikon D5100 Users 19,874 photos, 577 members
- Nikon D5100: North American Shooters 10,110 photos, 729 members
- Nikon D5100 best picture 17,766 photos, 512 members
"JC is my uncle and you can't say a bad thing about family but I would say great things about JC even if he wasn't family. I always admired his equipment and his work, and he is the reason I am now very much involved in this hobby!! Thank you JC and wish for your continued spectacular works of art!!!"
December 23rd, 2008
"jc describes himself as a amateur photographer married 37 years (Mrs. jc gets that credit!) however his photos would indicate otherwise. A true life long friend that you can count on is a rare thing. I am very fortunate to have one in my true friend, jc."
January 22nd, 2008
"This man introduced me to my first really good digital camera. In fact he gifted it to me. He is an amazing photographer and has become adept at HDR. I admire him and thank him for giving me the opportunity to nurture yet another neurotic artistic tendancy. Thank you JC for all of your encouragement and wonderful comments that you leave for my photos."
September 30th, 2007
- John Carrel
- January 2007
- Beatrice, NE
- Beatrice, NE, USA
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Retired Firefighter