I am an amateur hobby photographer. I purchased a new Nikon D50 in May 2006 and have been enjoying the DSLR experience. I started with the 18-55mm kit lens and later purchased a 70-300mm G lens. I loved both of them, but got the bug for the 18-200VR, so I sold the 18-55 and 70-300 on eBay and made the move to the 18-200VR. I also have a 50mm 1.8, which is an awesome low-priced lens, but to be honest, my 18-200VR doesn't come off my camera very often.
I have recently started experimenting with HDR, using Photomatix Pro, which is a lot of fun. I like taking pictures of old buildings, anything rusty or crusty, landscapes, animals, and since I love cars, I do have a few pictures of them too.
Please visit my photostream often and don't hesitate to make comments, either positive or to offer constructive criticism. That's how us ameteurs learn to get better.
I have been married for 38 years and luckily my wife tolerates my photographer hobby (until I want to purchase a new accessory).
UPDATED April 1, 2008.
I thought I would update my equipment profile. I recently purchased a new Nikon D80 and a Nikon 80-200 f/2.8 lens. My D80 came with the 18-135mm, so I sold my 18-200VR. Probably a mistake, but the 18-135 is a good walk-around lens and I find that I use my 80-200 most of the time when I'm out on a serious shoot.
Another equipment update - Aug. 8, 2008
I know...a photographer is never satisfied with his equipment and I am a good example of that. I just purchased a new Tamron 200-500mm lens. I haven't had much of a chance to try it out yet, so I'll keep you informed.
Update: February 2009
My wife's going to kill me, but I bought another lens. I just puchased a Nikkor 70-300mm VR lens and so far I really love it. It gives me a nice compliment to my 18-135 and my Tamron 200-500.
Update: March 2009
Since I lived through the last upgrade (see above), I thought I would risk it one more time. When BestBuy.com recently offered the Nikon D200 for $599, I just couldn't resist.
Equipment update: August 2009
Here I go again. When Sigma came out with the 18-250mm OS HSM recently, I was sceptical, but I started to read some pretty impressive reviews, so I thought...what the heck. I am hoping it can replace my 18-135 and 70-300mm lenses, so I don't have to change lenses as often. So far, I really like it, but I want to try it out a little longer before I dump the other two lenses.
Another lens update: September 2009
I was so impressed with the Sigma 18-250mm that I bought a Sigma 150-500mm to complement it. So far, I think it was a good buy. I will definitely be selling my Nikon 18-135, 70-300vr and Tamron 200-500. Thank goodness for eBay.
UPDATE: January 2010
I found a good deal on a Nikon 300mm f/4 lens on eBay and thought I would give it a try. So far, if you can hold it steady, you can get some VERY sharp shots with it.
UPDATE: February 2010
I had some issues with my D200 and after sending it in to the GeekSquad once and to Nikon the second time, neither one could find the problem so Best Buy gave me my money back (I had a protection plan). Sadly, I couldn't afford a new D300 or D300s, so I bought a D90. I really liked the bigger, heavier body of the D200, but the D90 gets great reviews, so it should be fine.
Another Equipment Update: Sept. 2010
I just purchased a new Sigma APO DG 70-200mm f/2.8 II Macro HSM. I liked the Nikon 300 f/4, but really wanted a zoom lens that I could use for indoor sports and other low-light situations. So far, I think I made a good choice. I would have loved the Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 VR but they were nearly three times as much money and the new Sigma OS was twice as much.
I haven't updated my equipment information for quite some time, so here is my current setup. I am shooting with a Nikon D90 and a Sigma 150-500mm lens, which rarely comes off my camera. I also have a D5000 which I usually use to photograph the grandkids.
January 2014 update:
Just before Christmas (2013) I bought a Nikon D7000 as an update to my old trusty D90. It came with an 18-140mm, so I gifted my D90 and the 18-105mm I had on my wife's D5100 and put the 18-140mm on her camera. So far I am real happy with the D7000, which I will normally (probably always) have my old Sigma 150-500mm lens.
- Nikon D3100,D3200, D3300,D5100,D5200,D5300,D7000,D7100 group 640,153 photos, 26,701 members
- NationalEagleCenter 6,123 photos, 395 members
- NIKON D7000 CLUB 663,535 photos, 27,118 members
- HDR meets Orton (for pictures combining HDR and Orton) 6,907 photos, 1,544 members
- HDR & Orton 5,815 photos, 348 members
- Orton 25,455 photos, 4,444 members
- Nikon D5100 with 18-105mm 1,580 photos, 95 members
- Nikkor AF-S DX 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 ED VR 97,747 photos, 4,148 members
- Your Best Shot Nikon D5100 12,710 photos, 570 members
- Nikon D 5100 19,687 photos, 551 members
- Nikon D5100 Users 16,801 photos, 526 members
- Nikon D5100: North American Shooters 8,710 photos, 690 members
- Nikon D5100 best picture 12,397 photos, 444 members
- Nikon D5100! 36,027 photos, 1,221 members
- Nikon D5100 419,732 photos, 12,769 members
- Nikon D5100 - Your best Pics 35,856 photos, 3,611 members
- NIKON D5100 - Official group. 116,442 photos, 4,847 members
- SCCA Racing Photos 3,457 photos, 190 members
- Visit Austin Texas 2,824 photos, 260 members
- Austin 87,951 photos, 4,725 members
- Texas 166,258 photos, 6,052 members
- Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM WildLife Only 5,812 photos, 217 members
- Beatrice Photo Collaboration 83 photos, 7 members
- artland 811,252 photos, 37,411 members
- Air Shows 205,541 photos, 6,812 members
- Air Show Photos 29,539 photos, 722 members
- Marshall County Kansas 168 photos, 6 members
- Roller Derby 42,590 photos, 5,814 members
- DM's Lair 18,920 photos, 653 members
- ◇Group with Ҽxperience◆ 2,835,577 photos, 339,230 members
- **Nature Only** 100%Nature ~ NO People / NO Building (Award1) 16,450 photos, 532 members
- Natural Nebraska 4,176 photos, 117 members
- Good Photos - Good Views 13,880 photos, 171 members
- National Geographic Group 453,547 photos, 18,360 members
- Women's College Volleyball 2,800 photos, 718 members
- Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 II APO EX DG Macro 2,836 photos, 194 members
- SIGMA APO 70-200mm f 2.8 EX DG HSM (Macro) 13,746 photos, 1,645 members
- Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 II EX DG APO Macro HSM AF Lens 1,780 photos, 182 members
- Sigma 70-200 mm f/2.8 EX 43,266 photos, 2,718 members
- You made my day 110,189 photos, 2,498 members
- FotoVotr 18,814 photos, 1,394 members
- I Rock A Nikon! 52,280 photos, 504 members
- South Dakota 22,477 photos, 1,077 members
- Badlands National Park 2,044 photos, 277 members
- Badlands 5,792 photos, 457 members
- South Dakota Parks - National, State, County and City Parks 3,221 photos, 268 members
- **The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota** 3,884 photos, 300 members
- The Black Hills of South Dakota 5,027 photos, 477 members
- National Parks, Monuments and Historical Sites 49,726 photos, 2,221 members
- Wyoming "The Cowboy State" 15,777 photos, 713 members
"JC is my uncle and you can't say a bad thing about family but I would say great things about JC even if he wasn't family. I always admired his equipment and his work, and he is the reason I am now very much involved in this hobby!! Thank you JC and wish for your continued spectacular works of art!!!"
December 23rd, 2008
"jc describes himself as a amateur photographer married 37 years (Mrs. jc gets that credit!) however his photos would indicate otherwise. A true life long friend that you can count on is a rare thing. I am very fortunate to have one in my true friend, jc."
January 22nd, 2008
"This man introduced me to my first really good digital camera. In fact he gifted it to me. He is an amazing photographer and has become adept at HDR. I admire him and thank him for giving me the opportunity to nurture yet another neurotic artistic tendancy. Thank you JC for all of your encouragement and wonderful comments that you leave for my photos."
September 30th, 2007
- John Carrel
- January 2007
- Beatrice, NE
- Beatrice, NE, USA
- I am:
- Male and Taken