Born and raised in Liverpool (mostly in Wallasey), England and now living in Wellington, New Zealand.
I have taken photographs since I was 5, almost always as a sort of diary rather than an artistic endeavour. Putting them on flickr was an attempt at a memoir, aimed primarily at my family. I have become enthusiastic about the other aspects of Flickr, but I feel I'm rather a charlatan in the company of everyone else.
The significance of a life-recording photostream has become sharp in my mind since the death of Felicity.
Here is a poem I wrote about that.
A PHOTOGRAPH FROM MY COLLECTION
Sometimes we would stop at this one -
there is something special about it.
Sun sparkled wine in a
Le Pont Valentre beyond
Eyes laughing into one another.
"Do you remember...?" we would say.
Do you remember the cheerful waitress
who took it?
The gentle river's flow?
Do you remember the old man on the bridge?
Do you remember dinner that evening?
The harmony of that day, those times?
Now she is dead the remembering remains in me, but
'Do you remember?' is forever gone.
Do You Remember?
do you remember
When I die all remembering will vanish
all that intricate richness, that interplay of
sensations, experiences, that shared delight.
The photograph will remain
a dessicated fragment.
And it may be that in some distant time
out of curiosity
someone will stop at this one and ask
'They look so happy. I wonder why?'
Try this link to see a random selection from my photostream, courtesy of GustavoG.
For a really great collection of Vanuatu pics - including remote corners that tourists rarely see - go to my son's family site at
create your own visited countries map
United States states visited.
create your own visited states map
Photos of PhillipC (1)
- World Waterfall Database 8,952 photos, 1,561 members
- Old & Aged 35,675 photos, 1,346 members
- Airline: Air New Zealand [NZ/ANZ] 7,058 photos, 655 members
- First World War 5,960 photos, 270 members
- Ullapool, Lochbroom and Coigach 5,271 photos, 416 members
- L'Angle Des Merveilles (((P1/A3))) First Level! 8,904 photos, 698 members
- 2011 in England and Wales - 2011 yng Nghymru a Lloegr 15,911 photos, 156 members
- !!Perfect Composition!! 1,409,796 photos, 28,271 members
- Aircraft Display on Pole, at Stick or as Gateguard 3,302 photos, 228 members
- Capybara 4,985 photos, 188 members
- Calmac Images 3,895 photos, 125 members
- Ferries Across Australia (No 30/60 Groups Limit) 3,990 photos, 173 members
- **I LOVE ARGENTINA *** SIN DISCRIMINACION NI CENSURURA 1 AWARD C 9,038 photos, 333 members
- Sudamérica/América do Sul/South America (Post 1; Award 3). 21,767 photos, 6,003 members
- Airportnerds - "we few, we happy few" :-) 344,279 photos, 833 members
- Show off Your Argentina 47,986 photos, 2,495 members
- Aviation Wreck and Relics 75,439 photos, 843 members
- Misiones Argentina 2,445 photos, 187 members
- Buenos Aires City 61,956 photos, 5,844 members
- Argentina Argentine Argentinien Аргентина アルゼン 31,536 photos, 2,906 members
- Argentina 212,945 photos, 9,364 members
- Old New Zealand 468 photos, 67 members
- "World Trekker" (Post 7 - Award 3) 401,790 photos, 4,939 members
- ❤ THE PEACE IN THE FUTURE ❤ 16,938 photos, 1,458 members
- Black and White Liverpool 8,864 photos, 475 members
- The photographers world network 22,534 photos, 234 members
- *GreatPixGallery 200 Faves+ 1,438 photos, 965 members
- Flickr's FAV : 200 16,211 photos, 890 members
- Glasgow International Airport (GLA) 18,256 photos, 207 members
- New Zealand Tea Rooms and Bakeries 175 photos, 28 members
- Views 20000 4,342 photos, 652 members
- 20000 VIEWS 6,129 photos, 1,056 members
- FotoVotr.com Amber Group 38,965 photos, 5,378 members
- Getty Images Call for Artists 401,860 photos, 103,608 members
- This is Derbyshire 64,041 photos, 1,472 members
- The Bistro (Founded 2008) 112,792 photos, 2,304 members
- The Twentieth Century and Contemporary House 17,914 photos, 1,914 members
- New Zealand on Flickr 121,682 photos, 2,290 members
- Ephemera 50,593 photos, 1,694 members
- 1960s 19,936 photos, 1,606 members
- 1960's 25,582 photos, 1,245 members
- 1950's 13,088 photos, 558 members
- 1970's 23,493 photos, 1,371 members
- Still Britain 33,751 photos, 225 members
- Canadian History 14,516 photos, 528 members
- RCAF 8,575 photos, 324 members
- Auckland Airport 1,353 photos, 72 members
- Vermeer Pearls.. (P1/A2) 117,206 photos, 4,335 members
- Open Eyes - Online Magazine 3,577 photos, 817 members
- Pretty Pictures. 3,867 photos, 1,097 members
"A fantastic bunch of photos from so many different topics. And almost all cover a very special issue. Be it aviation or nature. From the 60s until now. It's a really big "treasure chest" where you can check and check again and you always find something new.
For example, my favourites are the old England shots from the 1960s. Much changed and the pictures cover this period really well.
November 22nd, 2005
Jeff Clow says:
"Phillip's work here at Flickr is amazing....I often find myself gaping at the screen when viewing his latest contribution and am constantly amazed by his photo artistry. He "sees" things with his lens that others looking at the same image would not see....and he turns those visions in spectacular photos.
And then, on top of that, he's one classy guy who takes an extraordinary amount of time to comment on other's work here at this worldwide community.
We're lucky to have Phillip here at Flickr...his presence makes it a better place for all of us...."
July 23rd, 2005
- Phillip Capper
- January 2005
- Wellington, New Zealand
- I am:
- Male and Single
- Social scientist