Some people keep a written journal to document their lives. I have my Flickr page.
I was born and raised in Flint, Michigan, the Vehicle City. I grew up in an environment chock-full of working-class joie de vivre.
Flint was a magical place to grow up, with its myriad factories, racially-diverse (and mostly integrated) population, and vibrant Cultural Center, not to mention being steeped in car-culture. Growing up in Flint undoubtedly shaped my tendency to gravitate toward urban scenes. Even today, it seems there is no place quite like Flint, with regard to people of different backgrounds relating to one another generally pretty seamlessly. The factories may be gone, but Flint's friendly, resilient ethos remains. The whole United States could probably learn some lessons in positive interaction from Flint.
I currently reside in beautiful, historic Chicago, Illinois.
Bill Owens is one of my main photography heroes. I love the way he captures and portrays Americana, and how he finds beauty within seemingly mundane subjects and highlights what's interesting and unique about them.
Other photographers whose works inspire me are Zoe Strauss, William Eggleston, and Vivian Maier. Common subjects and the ability to present them in an intriguing way are a common thread among the works of these three artists.
All images are copyright protected. Do not use without my written consent.
**My Flickr page is dedicated to the loving memory of my late father, who passed away in 2009. While picture-taking wasn't his particular forte, he supported many of my creative endeavors including photography, as well as piano, acting, and writing. (Rest in peace, Dad - I'll see you when I get there.)
My page is also dedicated to my mom, who gave me her old 35mm Konica when I was fifteen. Her doing so was symbolic of passing a torch, as her father, my grandfather, was the original photographer in our family. I draw much inspiration from the everyday things and moments which Grandpa chose to capture with candor from behind the lens.**
13/31/2011 UPDATE: On the last day of 2011, I completed self-publication of "My Beautiful Flint", a photo book of images I have taken in my hometown of Flint, Michigan: www.blurb.com/books/3100609. It was a labor of love and I am very proud of it. You can preview the whole thing.
3/06/2012 UPDATE: Here's a link to my children's book, "All 'Bout Cars": www.blurb.com/books/3048808 . You can preview this one, too.
- Chrysler K-cars 559 photos, 75 members
- Curbside Classic Cohort 23,566 photos, 338 members
- Sunshine! Weather 2,575 photos, 104 members
- City Pulse 21,053 photos, 1,071 members
- Bars & Restaurants all over the world 4,331 photos, 399 members
- Flickr Celebrates Pride 2014 10,255 photos, 926 members
- Project Weather 445,263 photos, 75,941 members
- Eighth Generation Buick Riviera 48 photos, 7 members
- Only German Cars 91,785 photos, 2,784 members
- Milwaukee & More 2,329 photos, 144 members
- Youngtimers 42,862 photos, 1,328 members
- Selected Cars Only 917 photos, 26 members
- Pontiac Underground 205 photos, 51 members
- The Art of Car Engineering 8,891 photos, 219 members
- General Motors J-Body 487 photos, 87 members
- Abandoned Schools 6,571 photos, 522 members
- Classic American Cars (1925-1975) 43,318 photos, 724 members
- One Bottle 22,227 photos, 4,974 members
- Antique Common Cars 97,714 photos, 462 members
- Vintage Signs of the Midwest (VSOTM) 2,526 photos, 145 members
- Inspired by David Plowden 5,472 photos, 120 members
- Personal Luxury Cars 2,985 photos, 79 members
- Des Moines, Iowa 13,225 photos, 604 members
- Iowa 57,819 photos, 1,756 members
- Land Yachts 13,250 photos, 311 members
- Cars: Rusty & Abandoned 41,630 photos, 4,487 members
- 1896 - 1990 Vintage & Classic USA Vehicles 18,630 photos, 158 members
- Look through my Lens 577 photos, 64 members
- Restaurants Pubs and Taverns of the World - Past & Present 3,549 photos, 70 members
- CARTIFACTS 43,252 photos, 864 members
- Chinatown 27,491 photos, 7,961 members
- Classic hotels and motels 916 photos, 88 members
- Cars On The Curb (Pre-1990 / No Car Show Shots) 4,611 photos, 126 members
- Classic Cadillac And LaSalle Photos - Nothing newer than 1990 20,144 photos, 1,449 members
- Cadillacs In the rough 2,614 photos, 477 members
- Black Cat / Gat negre 95,790 photos, 2,513 members
- 1,000,000 Car Photos 1,082,016 photos, 10,910 members
- 1971 - 1976 Buick LeSabre / Centurion / Electra 225 / Estate Wag 2,627 photos, 50 members
- Midwest 103,731 photos, 1,877 members
- Firebirds 2,604 photos, 350 members
- 1971-76 Pontiac Grand Ville, Bonneville, Catalina and Safari 388 photos, 46 members
- Pontiac Grand Prix - 1969-1972 315 photos, 61 members
- Flickr center 70,834 photos, 1,301 members
- Black and white and only one color 5,770 photos, 1,120 members
- We ♥ Cars 179,222 photos, 2,016 members
- 1977-79 GM full-size lineup 1,508 photos, 47 members
- City Dusk Moments 4,524 photos, 642 members
- Slammed-Junction 29,318 photos, 349 members
- Chicago by Night 453 photos, 33 members
- Sleepless in Chicago 1,450 photos, 274 members
Flint Foto Factory doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Joseph Dennis
- August 2009
- Flint, Michigan
- Chicago, Illinois, USA
- I am:
- Insurance Underwriter
- Flint Foto Factory