Some people keep a written journal to document their lives. I have my Flickr page.
I was born and raised in Flint, Michigan, the Vehicle City. I grew up in an environment chock-full of working-class joie de vivre.
Flint was a magical place to grow up, with its myriad factories, racially-diverse population, and vibrant Cultural Center, not to mention being steeped in car-culture. Growing up in Flint undoubtedly shaped my tendency to gravitate toward urban scenes. Many factories may be gone, but Flint's friendly, resilient ethos remains. The whole United States could probably learn some lessons in perseverance from Flint.
I currently reside in beautiful, historic Chicago, Illinois.
Bill Owens is one of my main photography heroes. I love the way he captures and portrays Americana, and how he finds beauty within seemingly mundane subjects and highlights what's interesting and unique about them.
Other photographers whose works inspire me are Zoe Strauss, William Eggleston, and Vivian Maier. Common subjects and the ability to present them in an intriguing way are a common thread among the works of these three artists.
All images are copyright protected. Do not use without my written consent.
**My Flickr page is dedicated to the loving memory of my late father, who passed away in 2009. While picture-taking wasn't his particular forte, he supported many of my creative endeavors including photography, as well as piano, acting, and writing. (Rest in peace, Dad - I'll see you when I get there.)
My page is also dedicated to my mom, who gave me her old 35mm Konica when I was fifteen. Her doing so was symbolic of passing a torch, as her father, my grandfather, was the original photographer in our family. I draw much inspiration from the everyday things and moments which Grandpa chose to capture with candor from behind the lens.**
13/31/2011 UPDATE: On the last day of 2011, I completed self-publication of "My Beautiful Flint", a photo book of images I have taken in my hometown of Flint, Michigan: www.blurb.com/books/3100609. It was a labor of love and I am very proud of it. You can preview the whole thing.
3/06/2012 UPDATE: Here's a link to my children's book, "All 'Bout Cars": www.blurb.com/books/3048808 . You can preview this one, too.
- Small Town America 42,116 photos, 1,210 members
- Toyota Celica 1,131 photos, 73 members
- Chrysler K-cars 590 photos, 81 members
- Curbside Classic Cohort 29,034 photos, 375 members
- Sunshine! Weather 3,515 photos, 125 members
- City Pulse 36,908 photos, 1,612 members
- Bars & Restaurants all over the world 4,189 photos, 392 members
- Flickr Celebrates Pride 15,938 photos, 1,054 members
- Project Weather 616,354 photos, 88,559 members
- Eighth Generation Buick Riviera 48 photos, 8 members
- Only German Cars 117,650 photos, 3,036 members
- Milwaukee & More 2,498 photos, 152 members
- Youngtimers 53,796 photos, 1,378 members
- Selected Cars Only 1,159 photos, 27 members
- Pontiac Underground 220 photos, 54 members
- The Art of Car Engineering 11,342 photos, 233 members
- General Motors J-Body 521 photos, 95 members
- Abandoned Schools 7,235 photos, 552 members
- Classic American Cars (1925-1975) 49,256 photos, 817 members
- One Bottle 24,090 photos, 5,140 members
- Antique Common Cars 113,644 photos, 484 members
- Vintage Signs of the Midwest (VSOTM) 2,768 photos, 155 members
- Inspired by David Plowden 6,029 photos, 127 members
- Personal Luxury Cars 3,160 photos, 89 members
- Des Moines, Iowa 14,098 photos, 616 members
- Iowa 60,924 photos, 1,793 members
- Land Yachts 15,303 photos, 323 members
- Cars: Rusty & Abandoned 46,525 photos, 4,935 members
- 1896 - 1990 Vintage & Classic USA Vehicles 21,559 photos, 172 members
- Look through my Lens 693 photos, 62 members
- Restaurants Pubs and Taverns of the World - Past & Present 4,346 photos, 75 members
- CARTIFACTS 49,082 photos, 894 members
- Chinatown 27,293 photos, 9,083 members
- Classic hotels and motels 997 photos, 92 members
- Cars On The Curb (Pre-1990 / No Car Show Shots) 6,338 photos, 143 members
- Classic Cadillac And LaSalle Photos - Nothing newer than 1990 21,391 photos, 1,486 members
- Cadillacs In the rough 2,658 photos, 482 members
- Black Cat / Gat negre 102,797 photos, 2,510 members
- 1,000,000 Car Photos 1,181,301 photos, 11,416 members
- 1971 - 1976 Buick LeSabre / Centurion / Electra 225 / Estate Wag 2,849 photos, 55 members
- Midwest 110,503 photos, 1,943 members
- Firebirds 2,935 photos, 362 members
- 1971-76 Pontiac Grand Ville, Bonneville, Catalina and Safari 398 photos, 46 members
- Pontiac Grand Prix - 1969-1972 315 photos, 67 members
- Flickr center 107,026 photos, 1,750 members
- Black and white and only one color 7,002 photos, 1,201 members
- We ♥ Cars 239,605 photos, 2,378 members
- 1977-79 GM full-size lineup 1,557 photos, 50 members
- City Dusk Moments (NO NIGHT SHOTS!) 5,994 photos, 805 members
- Slammed-Junction 36,426 photos, 399 members
Flint Foto Factory doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Joseph Dennis
- August 2009
- Flint, Michigan
- Chicago, Illinois, USA
- I am:
- Insurance Underwriter
- Flint Foto Factory