Some people keep a written journal to document their lives. I have my Flickr page.
I was born and raised in Flint, Michigan, the Vehicle City. I grew up in an environment chock-full of working-class joie de vivre.
Flint was a magical place to grow up, with its myriad factories, racially-diverse (and mostly integrated) population, and vibrant Cultural Center, not to mention being steeped in car-culture. Growing up in Flint undoubtedly shaped my tendency to gravitate toward urban scenes. Even today, it seems there is no place quite like Flint, with regard to people of different backgrounds relating to one another generally pretty seamlessly. The factories may be gone, but Flint's friendly, resilient ethos remains. The whole United States could probably learn some lessons in positive interaction from Flint.
I currently reside in beautiful, historic Chicago, Illinois.
Bill Owens is one of my main photography heroes. I love the way he captures and portrays Americana, and how he finds beauty within seemingly mundane subjects and highlights what's interesting and unique about them.
Other photographers whose works inspire me are Zoe Strauss, William Eggleston, and Vivian Maier. Common subjects and the ability to present them in an intriguing way are a common thread among the works of these three artists.
All images are copyright protected. Do not use without my written consent.
**My Flickr page is dedicated to the loving memory of my late father, who passed away in 2009. While picture-taking wasn't his particular forte, he supported many of my creative endeavors including photography, as well as piano, acting, and writing. (Rest in peace, Dad - I'll see you when I get there.)
My page is also dedicated to my mom, who gave me her old 35mm Konica when I was fifteen. Her doing so was symbolic of passing a torch, as her father, my grandfather, was the original photographer in our family. I draw much inspiration from the everyday things and moments which Grandpa chose to capture with candor from behind the lens.**
13/31/2011 UPDATE: On the last day of 2011, I completed self-publication of "My Beautiful Flint", a photo book of images I have taken in my hometown of Flint, Michigan: www.blurb.com/books/3100609. It was a labor of love and I am very proud of it. You can preview the whole thing.
3/06/2012 UPDATE: Here's a link to my children's book, "All 'Bout Cars": www.blurb.com/books/3048808 . You can preview this one, too.
- Chrysler K-cars 561 photos, 77 members
- Curbside Classic Cohort 23,980 photos, 346 members
- Sunshine! Weather 2,682 photos, 106 members
- City Pulse 22,249 photos, 1,121 members
- Bars & Restaurants all over the world 4,240 photos, 397 members
- Flickr Celebrates Pride 2014 10,285 photos, 924 members
- Project Weather 478,482 photos, 77,567 members
- Eighth Generation Buick Riviera 48 photos, 7 members
- Only German Cars 94,959 photos, 2,820 members
- Milwaukee & More 2,332 photos, 143 members
- Youngtimers 43,972 photos, 1,338 members
- Selected Cars Only 940 photos, 26 members
- Pontiac Underground 208 photos, 51 members
- The Art of Car Engineering 9,164 photos, 223 members
- General Motors J-Body 487 photos, 88 members
- Abandoned Schools 6,581 photos, 531 members
- Classic American Cars (1925-1975) 43,876 photos, 734 members
- One Bottle 22,433 photos, 5,000 members
- Antique Common Cars 98,604 photos, 463 members
- Vintage Signs of the Midwest (VSOTM) 2,551 photos, 145 members
- Inspired by David Plowden 5,525 photos, 120 members
- Personal Luxury Cars 3,012 photos, 79 members
- Des Moines, Iowa 13,335 photos, 605 members
- Iowa 58,066 photos, 1,761 members
- Land Yachts 13,356 photos, 310 members
- Cars: Rusty & Abandoned 42,247 photos, 4,537 members
- 1896 - 1990 Vintage & Classic USA Vehicles 18,857 photos, 159 members
- Look through my Lens 594 photos, 64 members
- Restaurants Pubs and Taverns of the World - Past & Present 3,613 photos, 70 members
- CARTIFACTS 43,837 photos, 867 members
- Chinatown 27,466 photos, 8,104 members
- Classic hotels and motels 917 photos, 89 members
- Cars On The Curb (Pre-1990 / No Car Show Shots) 4,704 photos, 125 members
- Classic Cadillac And LaSalle Photos - Nothing newer than 1990 20,233 photos, 1,451 members
- Cadillacs In the rough 2,612 photos, 478 members
- Black Cat / Gat negre 96,778 photos, 2,514 members
- 1,000,000 Car Photos 1,075,549 photos, 10,952 members
- 1971 - 1976 Buick LeSabre / Centurion / Electra 225 / Estate Wag 2,632 photos, 50 members
- Midwest 104,411 photos, 1,885 members
- Firebirds 2,607 photos, 350 members
- 1971-76 Pontiac Grand Ville, Bonneville, Catalina and Safari 390 photos, 45 members
- Pontiac Grand Prix - 1969-1972 315 photos, 62 members
- Flickr center 74,177 photos, 1,342 members
- Black and white and only one color 5,908 photos, 1,132 members
- We ♥ Cars 184,194 photos, 2,044 members
- 1977-79 GM full-size lineup 1,512 photos, 48 members
- City Dusk Moments 4,636 photos, 660 members
- Slammed-Junction 30,585 photos, 355 members
- Chicago by Night 463 photos, 33 members
- Sleepless in Chicago 1,449 photos, 274 members
Flint Foto Factory doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Joseph Dennis
- August 2009
- Flint, Michigan
- Chicago, Illinois, USA
- I am:
- Insurance Underwriter
- Flint Foto Factory