Some people keep a written journal to document their lives. I have my Flickr page.
I was born and raised in Flint, Michigan, the Vehicle City. I grew up in an environment chock-full of working-class joie de vivre.
Flint was a magical place to grow up, with its myriad factories, racially-diverse population, and vibrant Cultural Center, not to mention being steeped in car-culture. Growing up in Flint undoubtedly shaped my tendency to gravitate toward urban scenes. Many factories may be gone, but Flint's friendly, resilient ethos remains. The whole United States could probably learn some lessons in perseverance from Flint.
I currently reside in beautiful, historic Chicago, Illinois.
Bill Owens is one of my main photography heroes. I love the way he captures and portrays Americana, and how he finds beauty within seemingly mundane subjects and highlights what's interesting and unique about them.
Other photographers whose works inspire me are Zoe Strauss, William Eggleston, and Vivian Maier. Common subjects and the ability to present them in an intriguing way are a common thread among the works of these three artists.
All images are copyright protected. Do not use without my written consent.
**My Flickr page is dedicated to the loving memory of my late father, who passed away in 2009. While picture-taking wasn't his particular forte, he supported many of my creative endeavors including photography, as well as piano, acting, and writing. (Rest in peace, Dad - I'll see you when I get there.)
My page is also dedicated to my mom, who gave me her old 35mm Konica when I was fifteen. Her doing so was symbolic of passing a torch, as her father, my grandfather, was the original photographer in our family. I draw much inspiration from the everyday things and moments which Grandpa chose to capture with candor from behind the lens.**
13/31/2011 UPDATE: On the last day of 2011, I completed self-publication of "My Beautiful Flint", a photo book of images I have taken in my hometown of Flint, Michigan: www.blurb.com/books/3100609. It was a labor of love and I am very proud of it. You can preview the whole thing.
3/06/2012 UPDATE: Here's a link to my children's book, "All 'Bout Cars": www.blurb.com/books/3048808 . You can preview this one, too.
- Toyota Celica 718 photos, 61 members
- Chrysler K-cars 590 photos, 81 members
- Curbside Classic Cohort 27,533 photos, 369 members
- Sunshine! Weather 3,345 photos, 121 members
- City Pulse 33,841 photos, 1,497 members
- Bars & Restaurants all over the world 4,196 photos, 394 members
- Flickr Celebrates Pride 15,232 photos, 1,048 members
- Project Weather 605,570 photos, 87,548 members
- Eighth Generation Buick Riviera 48 photos, 7 members
- Only German Cars 112,803 photos, 3,003 members
- Milwaukee & More 2,473 photos, 149 members
- Youngtimers 51,774 photos, 1,370 members
- Selected Cars Only 1,136 photos, 27 members
- Pontiac Underground 215 photos, 54 members
- The Art of Car Engineering 10,959 photos, 235 members
- General Motors J-Body 521 photos, 94 members
- Abandoned Schools 7,036 photos, 546 members
- Classic American Cars (1925-1975) 48,072 photos, 801 members
- One Bottle 23,712 photos, 5,099 members
- Antique Common Cars 110,255 photos, 481 members
- Vintage Signs of the Midwest (VSOTM) 2,726 photos, 153 members
- Inspired by David Plowden 5,920 photos, 126 members
- Personal Luxury Cars 3,137 photos, 87 members
- Des Moines, Iowa 13,939 photos, 611 members
- Iowa 60,345 photos, 1,785 members
- Land Yachts 14,983 photos, 322 members
- Cars: Rusty & Abandoned 45,831 photos, 4,863 members
- 1896 - 1990 Vintage & Classic USA Vehicles 20,965 photos, 168 members
- Look through my Lens 672 photos, 62 members
- Restaurants Pubs and Taverns of the World - Past & Present 4,263 photos, 75 members
- CARTIFACTS 48,020 photos, 892 members
- Chinatown 27,398 photos, 8,917 members
- Classic hotels and motels 977 photos, 92 members
- Cars On The Curb (Pre-1990 / No Car Show Shots) 5,959 photos, 141 members
- Classic Cadillac And LaSalle Photos - Nothing newer than 1990 21,165 photos, 1,479 members
- Cadillacs In the rough 2,648 photos, 482 members
- Black Cat / Gat negre 101,247 photos, 2,510 members
- 1,000,000 Car Photos 1,164,323 photos, 11,344 members
- 1971 - 1976 Buick LeSabre / Centurion / Electra 225 / Estate Wag 2,846 photos, 54 members
- Midwest 109,170 photos, 1,936 members
- Firebirds 2,837 photos, 359 members
- 1971-76 Pontiac Grand Ville, Bonneville, Catalina and Safari 395 photos, 46 members
- Pontiac Grand Prix - 1969-1972 315 photos, 67 members
- Flickr center 99,230 photos, 1,650 members
- Black and white and only one color 6,812 photos, 1,187 members
- We ♥ Cars 231,502 photos, 2,310 members
- 1977-79 GM full-size lineup 1,538 photos, 50 members
- City Dusk Moments 5,823 photos, 793 members
- Slammed-Junction 35,454 photos, 393 members
- Chicago 24/7 477 photos, 32 members
Flint Foto Factory doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Joseph Dennis
- August 2009
- Flint, Michigan
- Chicago, Illinois, USA
- I am:
- Insurance Underwriter
- Flint Foto Factory