I’m an artist, designer, educator, farmer and I’m always up for a great adventure. I still think secret handshakes are cool. I think that the small everyday moments are more incredible than the every once-in-awhile spectacular moments. And I believe that ordinary everyday people can make extraordinary differences in the world.
My name is Kelly. I live part time on an acre of land (with my dog Etta Blue) just outside of Chicago where I'm building a small urban farm. When I’m not farming I draw, design, take pictures, paint, cook, travel, build community gardens and teach undergrad design at Indiana University Northwest. I'm the Content and Programming Director for the SF/Chicago Hike Conferences and the NYC Secret Handshake Conference. I also get to work with amazing people and communities through my work as the Director of the Public Design Cooperative at IU Northwest, Director of Communications for AIGA Chicago, and as a Programming Chair on the Board of Directors for EPIC (Engaging Philanthropy, Inspiring Creatives). I'm always up for collaboration projects and meeting new people! Please drop me a line and say hello.
I'm always up for collaboration projects + meeting new people! You can see my latest hijinks on Flickr. You can also find me on Instagram, Tumblr, Pinterest, Twitter + Facebook.
Feel free to drop me a line and say hello!
All images are copyright protected.
All listening data I record in conjunction with my posted images is part of another long-term ongoing research project I'm working on.
Photos of A Midwest Girl (1)
- PARKS GARDENS AND WOODS 76,033 photos, 2,543 members
- we still care 96,047 photos, 2,009 members
- Spring RoidWeek 2014 2,404 photos, 688 members
- 'RoidWeek 2013 2,818 photos, 967 members
- .film.forever. 772,890 photos, 12,731 members
- Ireland 283,142 photos, 11,238 members
- stranger's road 978 photos, 369 members
- there's a whole world out there 6,905 photos, 260 members
- VSCO Cam 51,793 photos, 4,601 members
- Sensitive-to-Light 1,183 photos, 271 members
- Hand Created Type 19,163 photos, 2,216 members
- Impossible PX Color 7,625 photos, 659 members
- Impossible Project COOL Film 2,029 photos, 221 members
- Impossible PZ-680 CP Film 209 photos, 72 members
- Land Empire 1,117 photos, 1,375 members
- SHOW ME PICTURES 18,767 photos, 1,017 members
- iPhone Camera Shots 706,312 photos, 25,709 members
- Amazing iPhoneography 424,426 photos, 17,292 members
- Photos taken with an Apple iPhone 831,899 photos, 33,751 members
- Gift From The Sea 1,039 photos, 214 members
- Fujifilm INSTANT - (Peel Apart Film Only) 22,393 photos, 2,608 members
- Mattebox 873 photos, 170 members
- Film Wins 159,574 photos, 2,579 members
- PX100 test film 454 photos, 68 members
- filmspiration 26,438 photos, 1,381 members
- BWG Mag 1,500 photos, 76 members
- Grain is Good 478,910 photos, 16,154 members
- Vastness 8,457 photos, 587 members
- Analog Soul 277,742 photos, 5,952 members
- 'RoidWeek 2012 3,080 photos, 1,031 members
- 'Roid Week 2011 3,044 photos, 1,257 members
- The Impossible Project Film Manipulation 1,304 photos, 795 members
- Hipstamatic 327,931 photos, 16,525 members
- [CameraBag] 32,527 photos, 2,299 members
- Mobile Landscapes 10,657 photos, 287 members
- I ♥ iPhone 413,889 photos, 11,407 members
- Life In LoFi: iPhoneography 288,638 photos, 5,647 members
- iPhoneography 448,246 photos, 13,310 members
- Banana Camera Co Contest 426 photos, 296 members
- ShakeItPhoto 13,730 photos, 792 members
- CrossProcess for iPhone 6,210 photos, 561 members
- Portrait by The Impossible Project 6,978 photos, 1,187 members
- Postcards from America 15,016 photos, 782 members
- the big black and the blue 864 photos, 73 members
- Les Photomatics 966 photos, 233 members
- Analog Adventures In Photopia 42,190 photos, 705 members
- The Saturdays of 2011 571 photos, 152 members
- Impossible Project PX680 film 7,566 photos, 743 members
- Textures for Layers 15,211 photos, 16,466 members
- The Lost Sea 293 photos, 69 members
"when i learn to type emotions
i'll write something here"
February 1st, 2010
"really super oldschool feel polaroids"
November 25th, 2008
"i went thru
the entire bloody stretch
and all i got to say is that,
"you have come a long way , baby."
and worth every single click.
May 9th, 2008
"she's just damn good... to elaborate, i love her minimalistic approach to her shots. if i had to choose one word to encapsulate why i love her work so, it would be "zen". it seems like every abstract shot is perfectly balanced, if that makes any sense. plus if you go through her flickr portfolio and read the descriptions... she clearly has excellent taste in music."
March 13th, 2008
Lala Lulu says:
"when i look at your interests, its like looking at my itunes library or my movie collection....."
December 23rd, 2007
"I particularly like the originality of girl.x's polaroid work. She is continually experimenting, asking questions and pushing back boundaries with her quirky eye for a picture. I always appreciate looking at her stream if only trying to puzzle out where she is coming from and where she hopes to go to. Unconventional, provocative even but, always enjoyable."
November 11th, 2007
paolo vigorito says:
"first time i saw her photos i was shocked. there was so much poetry and intuition in her shoots. she still got it, and she doesnt want to lost this.
sense of perispective and geometry, and all this attention to details and lights. she doesnt take pictures to remember, she shoots to freeze a feeling. her photos are made of colors and shapes and shadows.
now that everyone can be a photographer, she shows us what a photographer can be now: a modern painter.
she is one of my favourite, and her work a true inspiration for me."
November 5th, 2007
Gregory Johnson says:
"is the best!"
October 12th, 2007
Mr Mikey Mike says:
"According to fonts.com, the Romans appropriated the ‘x’ sound from the Chalcidian alphabet and represented it with the “chi” of the Ionic alphabet, which consisted of two diagonally crossed strokes. This letter became the prototype for both the capital and lowercase X we use today.
So... how does that relate to girl.x and photography? I'm not exactly sure, but I do know that she takes some very thought-provoking photographs and is the queen of the polaroid. So there."
May 10th, 2007
- Kelly Knaga
- December 2006
- I am: