I have lived in South Florida most of my life, growing up in the Florida Keys on Plantation Key. Relocated to Sunrise, Florida and have been working for the Fire Dept. there since 1984. We still keep a house on Plantation Key in the Keys for weekend get-aways and photographic opportunities - especially during migation!
Linda & I have several hobbies that keep us very busy. We have the largest private collection of Western Atlantic Marine Gastropods (seashells) in the world - over 1 million specimens. We've had over 25 species named after us. We also collect antique lighting and old vaseline glass (which are separate stories).
We became interested in wildlife in the Keys. Linda worked as a biologist for National Audubon Society and I spent many summers banding everything from White Crowned Pigeons and Reddish Egrets to small migratory birds. I was lucky enough to grow up with the Sprunts (Alexander was the Director of NAS in Tavernier). As you can see, we are new to Flickr but not new to photography. We have shot 35mm film cameras for 25 years and just switched to digital in June 2008. We hope you enjoy our efforts.
We are interested in sharing our knowledge and equally want to learn from all of you. Please feel free to contact us anytime.
- Animal-Pictures (Plz Comment). 223,343 photos, 12,378 members
- 75,000 Views Unlimited 75000 573 photos, 246 members
- Life, A New Perspective 7,993 photos, 349 members
- Group for all users of FLICKR - No 30/60 Groups Limit 1,228,750 photos, 13,511 members
- Wings Of The World 83,176 photos, 1,707 members
- ! !^Opera Premiere Gallery of Honour 14,339 photos, 1,192 members
- Raptors World 252 photos, 25 members
- NALP: Nature & Landscape Photos 305 photos, 6 members
- 〖】〖 Fliegende Tiere • Flying animals (on the wing) 11,056 photos, 541 members
- Nature Through The Lens / Invited Photos Only. 19,482 photos, 2,361 members
- Jays (birds) of the World 123 photos, 15 members
- Clap Clap - level 2 - (p 1, a 3) 8,781 photos, 901 members
- Clap Clap - level 1 - (p 1, a 3) NO PEOPLE!! 33,108 photos, 1,408 members
- Colours on White 2,654 photos, 470 members
- Sublime Masterpiece (Admin Invite) 4,073 photos, 986 members
- AwesomeNature 42,859 photos, 604 members
- COLL. par Impatience_1 * La FAUNE * Adm.Inv. 60,148 photos, 1,286 members
- Wingtips ~ Admin Invite only P1/C2 6,973 photos, 621 members
- ...Small in Nature-Comment, Fave, Upload only the Best! 32,359 photos, 1,435 members
- OF WINGS AND FEATHERS ~ ADMIN INVITE ONLY 4,259 photos, 249 members
- Close up Animals 63,409 photos, 1,590 members
- NATURE EN CHASSE - WILDLIFE IN HUNTING 3,663 photos, 272 members
- La Petite Galerie *** (No people) *** (P.1 / C.2) 157,913 photos, 3,788 members
- ***Confidential is The Best***(Post 1 Award 3 otherwise Banned 50,112 photos, 1,744 members
- Sacred Nature ~ invite only / post one, award two 4,288 photos, 314 members
- Rainbow of Nature Level 2 : ORANGE (P1-A4) 106,038 photos, 6,025 members
- Rainbow of Nature Level 1 : RED (P1-A4) 250,967 photos, 8,061 members
- 6,000 Views Unlimited 6000 114,426 photos, 6,186 members
- The Sunshine State 24,184 photos, 257 members
- Birds as Art 180,791 photos, 3,023 members
- InfiniteXposure L2 (P1, A3) 146,551 photos, 6,182 members
- Precious Living Jewels of Nature - P1/C2 .Invite only. 17,378 photos, 712 members
- US Wildlife 31,311 photos, 543 members
- InfiniteXposure L1 (P1, A3) 285,955 photos, 7,563 members
- ONCE IN YOUR LIFE / ✿ POST 1 AWARD 4 otherwise Banned 20,411 photos, 986 members
- ! * Real B u tee ♣ post 1 award 2 ♣JOIN US 36,331 photos, 1,262 members
- **Optical Excellence** The Very Best Level 2 ~ Post 1 Award 3 50,175 photos, 3,225 members
- Flickr's Chosen Few ( F.C.F. ) !!TOTALLY CLOSED!! . 13,022 photos, 3,546 members
- Lovers of Landscapes / Post 1, Award 2 65,593 photos, 1,447 members
- Travel Planet 307,105 photos, 6,208 members
- Indonesia 129,822 photos, 5,710 members
- Eastern USA Photobugs 59,625 photos, 766 members
- The Group for rare animals (by invitation only) 2,590 photos, 123 members
- Living Jewels of Nature - post 1 award 2. 54,638 photos, 686 members
- Owl and owl 1,404 photos, 110 members
- Bali Images 40,615 photos, 3,399 members
- Bali Flickr Club 47,428 photos, 1,643 members
- The Best Photographers On Flickr! 4,131 photos, 194 members
- Worldwide Fauna 261,467 photos, 3,206 members
- Flickr Envy Public (INVITED PHOTOS ONLY) - Add 1/C-2 ~ Invite 1 10,833 photos, 2,927 members
Rachelle ♥♥♥ says:
"I met Kevan on Flickr way before we met on the edge of Eco Pond in the Everglades watching the Spoonies and Stilts. He is an amazing photographer and kind-hearted person. Thank you Kevan for your support and nice comments on mine images. Hope to see you "out there" soon!"
March 20th, 2012
"Words probably cannot adequately express the admiration & friendship that I have for and with Linda & Kevan. ( I would say that they are 2 of a kind, but Kevan is in a class unto himself.... and I'm not sure anybody wants to be in that class ! lol ...)
I have had the pleasure of knowing them and shooting with them for a couple of years, and the time spent becomes more & more enjoyable as time passes and with each outing.
Although Linda does not venture out as much as Kevan ( as she really needs the time away from him ! ), her shots are selective, beautiful, and spot on... well-timed, well-captured, and sharp.
... AND... she's taught Kevan well !
Kevan and I go out shooting quite frequently ( as I think I have become Linda's official babysitter -
or "Kevin-Sitter ) ; and each outing is unique, informative, productive, and a pleasure...
Watch out for Kevan: He's got the gear, and he knows how to use it !
Be prepared to go out and get to the destination before sunrise then watch Kevan set up and haul what I call his "G.A.T.O.R" ...( Gigantic And Terrifically Oversized Rig ) ...
When you're out with Kevan, the entire day is enjoyable, whether exploring several areas or sitting in basically one location all day; and we'll return late at night with him always coming away with awesome shots.
Even if the photography side of the outing turns out to be more unproductive than we would like ( whether the animals or weather don't cooperate ), the time spent in conversation and camaraderie is well-worth it
( rivaled only by an outing with Dennis Derby ).
So whether we're off in search of Florida Panthers, Barn Owls, and Red Cockaded Woodpeckers in the Everglades or the middle of nowhere ; or if it's a casual meet-up after work for egrets and herons at a smaller local wetlands area, being with Linda and Kevan to observe, chat, and joke around always makes for a great day ... and maybe we'll even get a few pictures in the process :-)
September 9th, 2011
"Kevan & Linda are consistently getting the best bird shots. They really inspire me to shoot birds that I normally don't and to keep pushing my bird photography to be the best that I can make it.
I thoroughly enjoy their work and have found that they are also some of the nicest people you will ever meet. Hoping someday that Buck and I will get the chance to meet them in person.
July 19th, 2010
pam's pics- says:
"I always look forward to new shots from Kevan. One of the best bird photographers on Flickr. His shots are always interesting and well composed. It brings me close to birds that aren't in my area, so it is always a joy to see.
The only problem- after I see his shots, I lust after a better lens and camera. But- that's what inspiration is all about. Keep up the great work Kevan."
July 17th, 2010
"Kevan and Linda are definitely in a class by themselves, especially when it comes to photographing birds. Their pictures differ greatly from the 'usual and customary' bird pictures -- the kind where the bird is sitting quietly posing for the shot or even the occasional bird-in-flight capture.
In Kevan and Linda's pictures, the birds are nearly always DOING something. Catching their meal for the day, or wading through muck, or dropping a clam to break the shell, or some other thing that birds DO but no one else seems to be able to capture.
Their photographs are also remarkably perfect technically. Always the perfect exposure, always flawless focus, always fantastic composition.
I've never seen photographs like those they produce both consistently and routinely. I look forward every day to seeing what they've caught in their cameras THIS time!!!
An amazing photostream. Their bird pictures are simply unsurpassed by anyone anywhere!
To top it all off, they both have delightful senses of humor, obvious in many of their photographs and also in their texts! Sort of la piece de resistance!
March 27th, 2010
"So many wonderful photos of birds and so much caring for wildlife. Kevin and Linda convey, through their pictures, the beauty and responsibility we have for enhancing ecosystems and the creatures with whom we share the earth. I'm honored we're contacts and friends..."
February 8th, 2010
popeyes pix says:
"Kevin andLinda have one of the best photostreams Ihave seen.The detail in there work is amazing it is always exciting to see what their next picture is going to be. Their work inspires me to be better at what I do."
December 2nd, 2009
"Kevan and Linda have been a blessing for me on flickr. They are so very generous with their time, always willing to advise and assist. I sometimes look at their art and wonder, how did they do that???? They are amazing, they are a huge talent, and I am so very proud to call them friends. Thank you, Kevan and Linda, for your support, for sharing your immense talent, and most of all, for being such a huge influence in my journey as a photographer. You guys ROCK!!!"
November 4th, 2009
Dennis Derby says:
"I have known Kevan and Linda for a few months now, and consider them great wildlife photographers and good friends. It is rare to meet people as gifted, but more importantly, modest and generous with sharing their knowledge of photography, wildlife and just good stories. It has been a pleasure knowing you and hope to see more great work over time! If you see them out and about in South Florida, say hello from me, and prepare to be impressed!"
October 21st, 2009
"Kevan and Linda are both phenomenally talented nature photographers, as well as good friends. Superlatives fail me trying to describe the quality of the shots that they have taken and posted on Flicker. Any words would be an understatement, you have to experience their stream. Not only that, they generously share their vast knowledge of nature and photography to the benefit of everyone. Their unfailing humor and appreciation of other's work is another incredible attribute that they bring to the world of photography. I feel honored to know them both."
October 22nd, 2009
- Kevan Sunderland
- February 2009
- Plantation Key, Florida
- Sunrise, Florida , USA
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Nature Photography
- kevansunderland [at] yahoo.com