Thanks for stopping by my photostream!
I have a minor in photography from my undergraduate days and occasionally I think of taking a few art classes to help me with creativity. I haven't done that yet but its certainly a possibility. I believe that creativity is the component that sets an image apart from all the others. Anyone can become proficient at the technical side of photography but it takes a lot more work to master the creative side.
Currently I enjoy doing themed photo shoots with my husband. We brainstorm to come up with a theme and then use models, make-up, wardrobe, props, and sets to achieve our vision. I also do images as a form of lighting exercise and experimentation. And I find that photography can be a stress reducer as well.
I'm a Nikon shooter and currently use a D7000 (with 18-200 mm lens) and a D3100 (usually with a 50 mm 1.8 lens). I use a variety of lighting set-ups ranging from natural light to multiple flashes with various modifiers. I used to use CLS faithfully and loved it but recently my husband and I decided to pool our flashes and use radio triggers. He shoots Olympus and I shoot Nikon but with radio triggers we can use all our flashes together no matter which brand they are. We have found that this is much more efficient when doing themed photo shoots.
EDIT: We still pool our flashes for outdoor shoots but now we have a studio and use studio lighting. We have two Alien Bee 800's and one Einstein. In the studio I like using a two light setup with large diffused umbrellas but we just recently acquired a softbox with grid for use with the studio lights as well.
I found that my photography really began to grow when I started using models with hair/makeup done. I feel like my images began to take on a more professional look and I can't say enough how much I love the collaboration.
We've only had the studio for a short time and we absolutely love it! It's a little different from the typical photography studio since we don't make our living there. We both do portrait work as it comes along and rent the studio out for other photographers to use. But the really fun thing is when we have group photo shoots. We set up a theme, bring in a model, hire a hair/makeup artist, then invite other photographers to the group shoot (for a fee of course). We provide icy cold drinks and snacks for the shoot and everyone has a great time. Wouldn't trade this for anything!!
I worked for a while on putting out a magazine with a business partner and then just recently decided to branch out on my own. I've created a magazine called Lumina B&W and its for photographers to get their work published. There's a monthly theme and anyone can submit images pertaining to the theme. The images can be still life, models, portraits, landscape, composite, editorial, pets, glamour, fashion, etc. Any genre will be considered for publication as long as it pertains to the theme and is good quality. I'm so excited about this!! And I'm hoping to get a lot of participation from Flickr members.
So........have fun looking thru my photostream and if you have any questions about anything, feel free to send me a flickr-mail. Happy shooting! :)
- Down Under Challenge 11,449 photos, 331 members
- Lumina B&W Magazine 909 photos, 90 members
- White/Black 1,122,898 photos, 47,107 members
- FASHION PHOTOGRAPHY 768,048 photos, 53,723 members
- FASHION EDITORIAL PHOTOGRAPHY (Critique) 287,368 photos, 23,267 members
- Fashion Editorial 2.0 81,929 photos, 6,140 members
- FASHION ♥ PASSION 174,414 photos, 9,929 members
- NIKON D7000 CLUB 757,689 photos, 28,266 members
- NIKON D7000 CAFE 608,492 photos, 15,198 members
- Nikon DSLR Users 1,716,052 photos, 52,170 members
- Utata 458,628 photos, 27,684 members
- Creative Tabletop Photography 355,981 photos, 24,098 members
- Still Life/La Nature Morte 10,478 photos, 1,341 members
- *****Conceptual Photography***** 134,715 photos, 8,393 members
- Welding mask glass filter 3,147 photos, 1,545 members
- .. Meaningful Photography 17,972 photos, 813 members
- Selfie Squared 22,327 photos, 2,745 members
- Longer Exposure, Extreme Neutral Density 85,386 photos, 6,966 members
- UB Summer 2013 54 photos, 19 members
- Graffiti 521,913 photos, 18,422 members
- Music Photography 572,729 photos, 15,932 members
- Nikon D3100 170,910 photos, 5,332 members
- Lighting Essentials 96,851 photos, 8,330 members
- Strobist Sundays 2,000 photos, 899 members
- Nikon Digital 3,429,139 photos, 104,215 members
- The Bistro (Founded 2008) 104,550 photos, 2,306 members
- Nikkor 50mm 1.8 216,969 photos, 17,597 members
- NIKON PROFESSIONAL 1,159,637 photos, 31,167 members
- Nikon SB-400 1,308 photos, 565 members
- Miaouuuuuuuuuuu 7,128 photos, 375 members
- Nikon D3100,D3200, D3300,D5100,D5200,D5300,D7000,D7100 group 942,225 photos, 32,025 members
- Nikon D3100 Photography 135,732 photos, 4,357 members
- Nikon Digital SLR Challenge 996 photos, 178 members
- Girl Teddy Bears Only 1,064 photos, 64 members
- The Secret Life of the Material-Animals 17,311 photos, 358 members
- Nikon D80 Users 599,128 photos, 24,052 members
- 1,000,000 teddy bears 3,744 photos, 129 members
- Advanced Photography Spring 2010 72 photos, 19 members
- Photoshop Support Group 316,197 photos, 35,449 members
- Strobist.com 609,322 photos, 123,778 members
- Pro Corner: Semi-Pro and Professional Photography / Photographer 471,908 photos, 21,400 members
- Nikon CLS (Creative Lighting System) 25,664 photos, 7,812 members
- Teddy Bears Picnic 1,696 photos, 64 members
- Teddy Bears & Everything Stuffed 10,245 photos, 688 members
- Teddy bears - Teddys 21,192 photos, 2,660 members
mksavage doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- September 2008
- I am:
- Female and Taken