Thanks for stopping by my photostream!
I have a minor in photography from my undergraduate days and occasionally I think of taking a few art classes to help me with creativity. I haven't done that yet but its certainly a possibility. I believe that creativity is the component that sets an image apart from all the others. Anyone can become proficient at the technical side of photography but it takes a lot more work to master the creative side.
Currently I enjoy doing themed photo shoots with my husband. We brainstorm to come up with a theme and then use models, make-up, wardrobe, props, and sets to achieve our vision. I also do images as a form of lighting exercise and experimentation. And I find that photography can be a stress reducer as well.
I'm a Nikon shooter and currently use a D7000 (with 18-200 mm lens) and a D3100 (usually with a 50 mm 1.8 lens). I use a variety of lighting set-ups ranging from natural light to multiple flashes with various modifiers. I used to use CLS faithfully and loved it but recently my husband and I decided to pool our flashes and use radio triggers. He shoots Olympus and I shoot Nikon but with radio triggers we can use all our flashes together no matter which brand they are. We have found that this is much more efficient when doing themed photo shoots.
EDIT: We still pool our flashes for outdoor shoots but now we have a studio and use studio lighting. We have two Alien Bee 800's and one Einstein. In the studio I like using a two light setup with large diffused umbrellas but we just recently acquired a softbox with grid for use with the studio lights as well.
I found that my photography really began to grow when I started using models with hair/makeup done. I feel like my images began to take on a more professional look and I can't say enough how much I love the collaboration.
We've only had the studio for a short time and we absolutely love it! It's a little different from the typical photography studio since we don't make our living there. We both do portrait work as it comes along and rent the studio out for other photographers to use. But the really fun thing is when we have group photo shoots. We set up a theme, bring in a model, hire a hair/makeup artist, then invite other photographers to the group shoot (for a fee of course). We provide icy cold drinks and snacks for the shoot and everyone has a great time. Wouldn't trade this for anything!!
I worked for a while on putting out a magazine with a business partner and then just recently decided to branch out on my own. I've created a magazine called Lumina B&W and its for photographers to get their work published. There's a monthly theme and anyone can submit images pertaining to the theme. The images can be still life, models, portraits, landscape, composite, editorial, pets, glamour, fashion, etc. Any genre will be considered for publication as long as it pertains to the theme and is good quality. I'm so excited about this!! And I'm hoping to get a lot of participation from Flickr members.
So........have fun looking thru my photostream and if you have any questions about anything, feel free to send me a flickr-mail. Happy shooting! :)
- Lumina B&W Magazine 426 photos, 93 members
- White/Black 675,493 photos, 33,875 members
- FASHION PHOTOGRAPHY 700,829 photos, 51,563 members
- FASHION EDITORIAL PHOTOGRAPHY (Critique) 261,167 photos, 22,447 members
- Fashion Editorial 2.0 62,825 photos, 5,404 members
- FASHION ♥ PASSION 133,250 photos, 8,929 members
- NIKON D7000 CLUB 673,867 photos, 27,237 members
- NIKON D7000 CAFE 528,114 photos, 14,446 members
- Nikon DSLR Users 1,104,939 photos, 39,961 members
- Utata 445,759 photos, 26,143 members
- Creative Tabletop Photography 312,224 photos, 22,622 members
- Still Life/La Nature Morte 6,879 photos, 1,048 members
- *****Conceptual Photography***** 97,048 photos, 7,312 members
- Welding mask glass filter 2,990 photos, 1,485 members
- .. Meaningful Photography 13,428 photos, 723 members
- Selfie Squared 23,108 photos, 2,621 members
- Longer Exposure, Extreme Neutral Density 64,831 photos, 5,833 members
- UB Summer 2013 51 photos, 19 members
- Graffiti 483,247 photos, 18,041 members
- Music Photography 495,586 photos, 14,901 members
- Nikon D3100 136,568 photos, 4,756 members
- Lighting Essentials 88,463 photos, 8,108 members
- Strobist Sundays 2,008 photos, 895 members
- Nikon Digital 2,546,061 photos, 88,943 members
- The Bistro (Founded 2008) 96,120 photos, 2,315 members
- Nikkor 50mm 1.8 208,214 photos, 17,047 members
- NIKON PROFESSIONAL 855,797 photos, 27,025 members
- Nikon SB-400 1,326 photos, 569 members
- Miaouuuuuuuuuuu 6,888 photos, 369 members
- Nikon D3100,D3200, D3300,D5100,D5200,D5300,D7000,D7100 group 669,431 photos, 27,265 members
- Nikon D3100 Photography 123,558 photos, 4,232 members
- Nikon Digital SLR Challenge 996 photos, 179 members
- Girl Teddy Bears Only 1,010 photos, 66 members
- The Secret Life of the Material-Animals 17,197 photos, 357 members
- Nikon D80 Users 595,173 photos, 24,079 members
- 1,000,000 teddy bears 2,865 photos, 109 members
- Advanced Photography Spring 2010 72 photos, 19 members
- Photoshop Support Group 273,246 photos, 34,544 members
- Strobist.com 602,427 photos, 121,881 members
- Pro Corner: Semi-Pro and Professional Photography / Photographer 400,592 photos, 20,817 members
- Nikon CLS 25,838 photos, 7,881 members
- Teddy Bears Picnic 1,584 photos, 62 members
- Teddy Bears & Everything Stuffed 9,096 photos, 643 members
- Teddy bears - Teddys 19,407 photos, 2,585 members
mksavage doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- September 2008
- I am:
- Female and Taken