Thanks for stopping by my photostream!
I have a minor in photography from my undergraduate days and occasionally I think of taking a few art classes to help me with creativity. I haven't done that yet but its certainly a possibility. I believe that creativity is the component that sets an image apart from all the others. Anyone can become proficient at the technical side of photography but it takes a lot more work to master the creative side.
Currently I enjoy doing themed photo shoots with my husband. We brainstorm to come up with a theme and then use models, make-up, wardrobe, props, and sets to achieve our vision. I also do images as a form of lighting exercise and experimentation. And I find that photography can be a stress reducer as well.
I'm a Nikon shooter and currently use a D7000 (with 18-200 mm lens) and a D3100 (usually with a 50 mm 1.8 lens). I use a variety of lighting set-ups ranging from natural light to multiple flashes with various modifiers. I used to use CLS faithfully and loved it but recently my husband and I decided to pool our flashes and use radio triggers. He shoots Olympus and I shoot Nikon but with radio triggers we can use all our flashes together no matter which brand they are. We have found that this is much more efficient when doing themed photo shoots.
EDIT: We still pool our flashes for outdoor shoots but now we have a studio and use studio lighting. We have two Alien Bee 800's and one Einstein. In the studio I like using a two light setup with large diffused umbrellas but we just recently acquired a softbox with grid for use with the studio lights as well.
I found that my photography really began to grow when I started using models with hair/makeup done. I feel like my images began to take on a more professional look and I can't say enough how much I love the collaboration.
We've only had the studio for a short time and we absolutely love it! It's a little different from the typical photography studio since we don't make our living there. We both do portrait work as it comes along and rent the studio out for other photographers to use. But the really fun thing is when we have group photo shoots. We set up a theme, bring in a model, hire a hair/makeup artist, then invite other photographers to the group shoot (for a fee of course). We provide icy cold drinks and snacks for the shoot and everyone has a great time. Wouldn't trade this for anything!!
I worked for a while on putting out a magazine with a business partner and then just recently decided to branch out on my own. I've created a magazine called Lumina B&W and its for photographers to get their work published. There's a monthly theme and anyone can submit images pertaining to the theme. The images can be still life, models, portraits, landscape, composite, editorial, pets, glamour, fashion, etc. Any genre will be considered for publication as long as it pertains to the theme and is good quality. I'm so excited about this!! And I'm hoping to get a lot of participation from Flickr members.
So........have fun looking thru my photostream and if you have any questions about anything, feel free to send me a flickr-mail. Happy shooting! :)
- Lumina B&W Magazine 746 photos, 89 members
- White/Black 976,976 photos, 42,519 members
- FASHION PHOTOGRAPHY 746,664 photos, 53,196 members
- FASHION EDITORIAL PHOTOGRAPHY (Critique) 278,328 photos, 23,038 members
- Fashion Editorial 2.0 76,183 photos, 5,909 members
- FASHION ♥ PASSION 161,527 photos, 9,643 members
- NIKON D7000 CLUB 735,735 photos, 27,949 members
- NIKON D7000 CAFE 584,973 photos, 15,011 members
- Nikon DSLR Users 1,504,662 photos, 48,989 members
- Utata 455,622 photos, 27,352 members
- Creative Tabletop Photography 340,633 photos, 23,577 members
- Still Life/La Nature Morte 9,155 photos, 1,228 members
- *****Conceptual Photography***** 122,360 photos, 8,094 members
- Welding mask glass filter 3,081 photos, 1,527 members
- .. Meaningful Photography 16,782 photos, 792 members
- Selfie Squared 22,461 photos, 2,717 members
- Longer Exposure, Extreme Neutral Density 77,745 photos, 6,586 members
- UB Summer 2013 54 photos, 19 members
- Graffiti 507,681 photos, 18,335 members
- Music Photography 545,916 photos, 15,657 members
- Nikon D3100 161,554 photos, 5,161 members
- Lighting Essentials 94,204 photos, 8,281 members
- Strobist Sundays 2,005 photos, 902 members
- Nikon Digital 3,127,856 photos, 99,653 members
- The Bistro (Founded 2008) 101,532 photos, 2,309 members
- Nikkor 50mm 1.8 214,390 photos, 17,482 members
- NIKON PROFESSIONAL 1,055,929 photos, 29,385 members
- Nikon SB-400 1,307 photos, 563 members
- Miaouuuuuuuuuuu 7,042 photos, 374 members
- Nikon D3100,D3200, D3300,D5100,D5200,D5300,D7000,D7100 group 855,518 photos, 30,301 members
- Nikon D3100 Photography 132,823 photos, 4,321 members
- Nikon Digital SLR Challenge 996 photos, 178 members
- Girl Teddy Bears Only 1,042 photos, 63 members
- The Secret Life of the Material-Animals 17,342 photos, 358 members
- Nikon D80 Users 598,227 photos, 24,075 members
- 1,000,000 teddy bears 3,394 photos, 124 members
- Advanced Photography Spring 2010 72 photos, 19 members
- Photoshop Support Group 301,264 photos, 35,048 members
- Strobist.com 608,454 photos, 123,357 members
- Pro Corner: Semi-Pro and Professional Photography / Photographer 449,443 photos, 21,258 members
- Nikon CLS 25,843 photos, 7,838 members
- Teddy Bears Picnic 1,675 photos, 64 members
- Teddy Bears & Everything Stuffed 9,950 photos, 674 members
- Teddy bears - Teddys 20,675 photos, 2,647 members
mksavage doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- September 2008
- I am:
- Female and Taken