Thanks for stopping by my photostream!
I have a minor in photography from my undergraduate days and occasionally I think of taking a few art classes to help me with creativity. I haven't done that yet but its certainly a possibility. I believe that creativity is the component that sets an image apart from all the others. Anyone can become proficient at the technical side of photography but it takes a lot more work to master the creative side.
Currently I enjoy doing themed photo shoots with my husband. We brainstorm to come up with a theme and then use models, make-up, wardrobe, props, and sets to achieve our vision. I also do images as a form of lighting exercise and experimentation. And I find that photography can be a stress reducer as well.
I'm a Nikon shooter and currently use a D7000 (with 18-200 mm lens) and a D3100 (usually with a 50 mm 1.8 lens). I use a variety of lighting set-ups ranging from natural light to multiple flashes with various modifiers. I used to use CLS faithfully and loved it but recently my husband and I decided to pool our flashes and use radio triggers. He shoots Olympus and I shoot Nikon but with radio triggers we can use all our flashes together no matter which brand they are. We have found that this is much more efficient when doing themed photo shoots.
EDIT: We still pool our flashes for outdoor shoots but now we have a studio and use studio lighting. We have two Alien Bee 800's and one Einstein. In the studio I like using a two light setup with large diffused umbrellas but we just recently acquired a softbox with grid for use with the studio lights as well.
I found that my photography really began to grow when I started using models with hair/makeup done. I feel like my images began to take on a more professional look and I can't say enough how much I love the collaboration.
We've only had the studio for a short time and we absolutely love it! It's a little different from the typical photography studio since we don't make our living there. We both do portrait work as it comes along and rent the studio out for other photographers to use. But the really fun thing is when we have group photo shoots. We set up a theme, bring in a model, hire a hair/makeup artist, then invite other photographers to the group shoot (for a fee of course). We provide icy cold drinks and snacks for the shoot and everyone has a great time. Wouldn't trade this for anything!!
I worked for a while on putting out a magazine with a business partner and then just recently decided to branch out on my own. I've created a magazine called Lumina B&W and its for photographers to get their work published. There's a monthly theme and anyone can submit images pertaining to the theme. The images can be still life, models, portraits, landscape, composite, editorial, pets, glamour, fashion, etc. Any genre will be considered for publication as long as it pertains to the theme and is good quality. I'm so excited about this!! And I'm hoping to get a lot of participation from Flickr members.
So........have fun looking thru my photostream and if you have any questions about anything, feel free to send me a flickr-mail. Happy shooting! :)
- Lumina B&W Magazine 315 photos, 89 members
- White/Black 631,734 photos, 32,483 members
- FASHION PHOTOGRAPHY 695,606 photos, 51,254 members
- FASHION EDITORIAL PHOTOGRAPHY (Critique) 259,422 photos, 22,309 members
- Fashion Editorial 2.0 60,405 photos, 5,299 members
- FASHION ♥ PASSION 127,917 photos, 8,793 members
- NIKON D7000 CLUB 663,176 photos, 27,114 members
- NIKON D7000 CAFE 517,519 photos, 14,346 members
- Nikon DSLR Users 1,045,707 photos, 38,367 members
- Utata 443,828 photos, 25,958 members
- Creative Tabletop Photography 309,340 photos, 22,496 members
- Still Life/La Nature Morte 6,604 photos, 1,028 members
- *****Conceptual Photography***** 93,117 photos, 7,200 members
- Welding mask glass filter 2,965 photos, 1,473 members
- .. Meaningful Photography 12,979 photos, 723 members
- Selfie Squared 23,015 photos, 2,598 members
- Longer Exposure, Extreme Neutral Density 62,959 photos, 5,691 members
- UB Summer 2013 51 photos, 19 members
- Graffiti 479,092 photos, 17,972 members
- Music Photography 488,892 photos, 14,771 members
- Nikon D3100 131,918 photos, 4,667 members
- Lighting Essentials 87,869 photos, 8,079 members
- Strobist Sundays 2,011 photos, 894 members
- Nikon Digital 2,463,986 photos, 87,053 members
- The Bistro (Founded 2008) 95,560 photos, 2,319 members
- Nikkor 50mm 1.8 207,397 photos, 17,013 members
- NIKON PROFESSIONAL 825,824 photos, 26,570 members
- Nikon SB-400 1,343 photos, 567 members
- Miaouuuuuuuuuuu 6,871 photos, 364 members
- Nikon D3100,D3200, D3300,D5100,D5200,D5300,D7000,D7100 group 639,191 photos, 26,687 members
- Nikon D3100 Photography 121,732 photos, 4,208 members
- Nikon Digital SLR Challenge 996 photos, 180 members
- Girl Teddy Bears Only 1,001 photos, 66 members
- The Secret Life of the Material-Animals 17,184 photos, 356 members
- Nikon D80 Users 594,970 photos, 24,082 members
- 1,000,000 teddy bears 2,819 photos, 107 members
- Advanced Photography Spring 2010 72 photos, 19 members
- Photoshop Support Group 269,010 photos, 34,452 members
- Strobist.com 602,038 photos, 121,601 members
- Pro Corner: Semi-Pro and Professional Photography / Photographer 393,824 photos, 20,722 members
- Nikon CLS 25,826 photos, 7,883 members
- Teddy Bears Picnic 1,584 photos, 61 members
- Teddy Bears & Everything Stuffed 8,964 photos, 642 members
- Teddy bears - Teddys 19,298 photos, 2,579 members
mksavage doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- September 2008
- I am:
- Female and Taken