Thanks for stopping by my photostream!
I have a minor in photography from my undergraduate days and occasionally I think of taking a few art classes to help me with creativity. I haven't done that yet but its certainly a possibility. I believe that creativity is the component that sets an image apart from all the others. Anyone can become proficient at the technical side of photography but it takes a lot more work to master the creative side.
Currently I enjoy doing themed photo shoots with my husband. We brainstorm to come up with a theme and then use models, make-up, wardrobe, props, and sets to achieve our vision. I also do images as a form of lighting exercise and experimentation. And I find that photography can be a stress reducer as well.
I'm a Nikon shooter and currently use a D7000 (with 18-200 mm lens) and a D3100 (usually with a 50 mm 1.8 lens). I use a variety of lighting set-ups ranging from natural light to multiple flashes with various modifiers. I used to use CLS faithfully and loved it but recently my husband and I decided to pool our flashes and use radio triggers. He shoots Olympus and I shoot Nikon but with radio triggers we can use all our flashes together no matter which brand they are. We have found that this is much more efficient when doing themed photo shoots.
EDIT: We still pool our flashes for outdoor shoots but now we have a studio and use studio lighting. We have two Alien Bee 800's and one Einstein. In the studio I like using a two light setup with large diffused umbrellas but we just recently acquired a softbox with grid for use with the studio lights as well.
I found that my photography really began to grow when I started using models with hair/makeup done. I feel like my images began to take on a more professional look and I can't say enough how much I love the collaboration.
We've only had the studio for a short time and we absolutely love it! It's a little different from the typical photography studio since we don't make our living there. We both do portrait work as it comes along and rent the studio out for other photographers to use. But the really fun thing is when we have group photo shoots. We set up a theme, bring in a model, hire a hair/makeup artist, then invite other photographers to the group shoot (for a fee of course). We provide icy cold drinks and snacks for the shoot and everyone has a great time. Wouldn't trade this for anything!!
I worked for a while on putting out a magazine with a business partner and then just recently decided to branch out on my own. I've created a magazine called Lumina B&W and its for photographers to get their work published. There's a monthly theme and anyone can submit images pertaining to the theme. The images can be still life, models, portraits, landscape, composite, editorial, pets, glamour, fashion, etc. Any genre will be considered for publication as long as it pertains to the theme and is good quality. I'm so excited about this!! And I'm hoping to get a lot of participation from Flickr members.
So........have fun looking thru my photostream and if you have any questions about anything, feel free to send me a flickr-mail. Happy shooting! :)
- Down Under Challenge 11,264 photos, 330 members
- Lumina B&W Magazine 769 photos, 90 members
- White/Black 1,003,437 photos, 43,140 members
- FASHION PHOTOGRAPHY 750,974 photos, 53,267 members
- FASHION EDITORIAL PHOTOGRAPHY (Critique) 280,196 photos, 23,077 members
- Fashion Editorial 2.0 77,117 photos, 5,945 members
- FASHION ♥ PASSION 164,304 photos, 9,697 members
- NIKON D7000 CLUB 739,669 photos, 27,974 members
- NIKON D7000 CAFE 589,176 photos, 15,043 members
- Nikon DSLR Users 1,543,227 photos, 49,399 members
- Utata 456,865 photos, 27,362 members
- Creative Tabletop Photography 343,100 photos, 23,710 members
- Still Life/La Nature Morte 9,308 photos, 1,240 members
- *****Conceptual Photography***** 124,565 photos, 8,146 members
- Welding mask glass filter 3,089 photos, 1,530 members
- .. Meaningful Photography 16,984 photos, 793 members
- Selfie Squared 22,473 photos, 2,727 members
- Longer Exposure, Extreme Neutral Density 79,115 photos, 6,638 members
- UB Summer 2013 54 photos, 19 members
- Graffiti 509,550 photos, 18,335 members
- Music Photography 550,395 photos, 15,686 members
- Nikon D3100 163,495 photos, 5,179 members
- Lighting Essentials 94,742 photos, 8,283 members
- Strobist Sundays 2,005 photos, 901 members
- Nikon Digital 3,182,104 photos, 100,774 members
- The Bistro (Founded 2008) 101,889 photos, 2,302 members
- Nikkor 50mm 1.8 214,663 photos, 17,501 members
- NIKON PROFESSIONAL 1,073,700 photos, 29,578 members
- Nikon SB-400 1,307 photos, 564 members
- Miaouuuuuuuuuuu 7,066 photos, 372 members
- Nikon D3100,D3200, D3300,D5100,D5200,D5300,D7000,D7100 group 870,532 photos, 30,505 members
- Nikon D3100 Photography 133,225 photos, 4,319 members
- Nikon Digital SLR Challenge 996 photos, 179 members
- Girl Teddy Bears Only 1,046 photos, 66 members
- The Secret Life of the Material-Animals 17,349 photos, 357 members
- Nikon D80 Users 597,843 photos, 24,071 members
- 1,000,000 teddy bears 3,461 photos, 125 members
- Advanced Photography Spring 2010 72 photos, 19 members
- Photoshop Support Group 303,617 photos, 35,074 members
- Strobist.com 608,778 photos, 123,378 members
- Pro Corner: Semi-Pro and Professional Photography / Photographer 454,183 photos, 21,271 members
- Nikon CLS 25,814 photos, 7,832 members
- Teddy Bears Picnic 1,682 photos, 64 members
- Teddy Bears & Everything Stuffed 10,021 photos, 676 members
- Teddy bears - Teddys 20,767 photos, 2,646 members
mksavage doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- September 2008
- I am:
- Female and Taken