Thanks for stopping by my photostream!
I have a minor in photography from my undergraduate days and occasionally I think of taking a few art classes to help me with creativity. I haven't done that yet but its certainly a possibility. I believe that creativity is the component that sets an image apart from all the others. Anyone can become proficient at the technical side of photography but it takes a lot more work to master the creative side.
Currently I enjoy doing themed photo shoots with my husband. We brainstorm to come up with a theme and then use models, make-up, wardrobe, props, and sets to achieve our vision. I also do images as a form of lighting exercise and experimentation. And I find that photography can be a stress reducer as well.
I'm a Nikon shooter and currently use a D7000 (with 18-200 mm lens) and a D3100 (usually with a 50 mm 1.8 lens). I use a variety of lighting set-ups ranging from natural light to multiple flashes with various modifiers. I used to use CLS faithfully and loved it but recently my husband and I decided to pool our flashes and use radio triggers. He shoots Olympus and I shoot Nikon but with radio triggers we can use all our flashes together no matter which brand they are. We have found that this is much more efficient when doing themed photo shoots.
EDIT: We still pool our flashes for outdoor shoots but now we have a studio and use studio lighting. We have two Alien Bee 800's and one Einstein. In the studio I like using a two light setup with large diffused umbrellas but we just recently acquired a softbox with grid for use with the studio lights as well.
I found that my photography really began to grow when I started using models with hair/makeup done. I feel like my images began to take on a more professional look and I can't say enough how much I love the collaboration.
We've only had the studio for a short time and we absolutely love it! It's a little different from the typical photography studio since we don't make our living there. We both do portrait work as it comes along and rent the studio out for other photographers to use. But the really fun thing is when we have group photo shoots. We set up a theme, bring in a model, hire a hair/makeup artist, then invite other photographers to the group shoot (for a fee of course). We provide icy cold drinks and snacks for the shoot and everyone has a great time. Wouldn't trade this for anything!!
I worked for a while on putting out a magazine with a business partner and then just recently decided to branch out on my own. I've created a magazine called Lumina B&W and its for photographers to get their work published. There's a monthly theme and anyone can submit images pertaining to the theme. The images can be still life, models, portraits, landscape, composite, editorial, pets, glamour, fashion, etc. Any genre will be considered for publication as long as it pertains to the theme and is good quality. I'm so excited about this!! And I'm hoping to get a lot of participation from Flickr members.
So........have fun looking thru my photostream and if you have any questions about anything, feel free to send me a flickr-mail. Happy shooting! :)
- Down Under Challenge 11,308 photos, 330 members
- Lumina B&W Magazine 804 photos, 90 members
- White/Black 1,030,014 photos, 43,846 members
- FASHION PHOTOGRAPHY 755,050 photos, 53,359 members
- FASHION EDITORIAL PHOTOGRAPHY (Critique) 281,980 photos, 23,130 members
- Fashion Editorial 2.0 78,132 photos, 5,977 members
- FASHION ♥ PASSION 166,837 photos, 9,755 members
- NIKON D7000 CLUB 744,094 photos, 28,015 members
- NIKON D7000 CAFE 593,867 photos, 15,087 members
- Nikon DSLR Users 1,583,202 photos, 49,963 members
- Utata 457,749 photos, 27,441 members
- Creative Tabletop Photography 345,753 photos, 23,839 members
- Still Life/La Nature Morte 9,512 photos, 1,254 members
- *****Conceptual Photography***** 126,656 photos, 8,196 members
- Welding mask glass filter 3,091 photos, 1,533 members
- .. Meaningful Photography 17,240 photos, 798 members
- Selfie Squared 22,494 photos, 2,730 members
- Longer Exposure, Extreme Neutral Density 80,486 photos, 6,718 members
- UB Summer 2013 54 photos, 19 members
- Graffiti 512,126 photos, 18,369 members
- Music Photography 555,351 photos, 15,739 members
- Nikon D3100 164,835 photos, 5,202 members
- Lighting Essentials 95,113 photos, 8,298 members
- Strobist Sundays 2,005 photos, 903 members
- Nikon Digital 3,237,823 photos, 101,543 members
- The Bistro (Founded 2008) 102,469 photos, 2,303 members
- Nikkor 50mm 1.8 215,085 photos, 17,515 members
- NIKON PROFESSIONAL 1,092,762 photos, 29,833 members
- Nikon SB-400 1,307 photos, 564 members
- Miaouuuuuuuuuuu 7,072 photos, 374 members
- Nikon D3100,D3200, D3300,D5100,D5200,D5300,D7000,D7100 group 886,288 photos, 30,748 members
- Nikon D3100 Photography 133,416 photos, 4,322 members
- Nikon Digital SLR Challenge 996 photos, 179 members
- Girl Teddy Bears Only 1,055 photos, 66 members
- The Secret Life of the Material-Animals 17,320 photos, 356 members
- Nikon D80 Users 598,195 photos, 24,065 members
- 1,000,000 teddy bears 3,554 photos, 127 members
- Advanced Photography Spring 2010 72 photos, 19 members
- Photoshop Support Group 306,036 photos, 35,113 members
- Strobist.com 609,105 photos, 123,426 members
- Pro Corner: Semi-Pro and Professional Photography / Photographer 457,941 photos, 21,295 members
- Nikon CLS 25,805 photos, 7,827 members
- Teddy Bears Picnic 1,682 photos, 64 members
- Teddy Bears & Everything Stuffed 10,098 photos, 678 members
- Teddy bears - Teddys 20,881 photos, 2,648 members
mksavage doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- September 2008
- I am:
- Female and Taken