In the summer of 2010 I collected and donated hair for booms, for Gulf clean-up efforts. Click on the photo to learn more.
My six-volume Deviations Series (Covenant, Appetite, Destiny, Bloodlines, TelZodo, and Second Covenant, respectively), can be downloaded for free at my Deviations webpage, Smashwords, and Manybooks.
Elissa Malcohn's Deviations and Other Journeys
Promote Your Page Too
What people are saying about the Deviations series
"If you are looking for something different with a great story line, I would suggest reading these books. They are very well written and draw the reader into the story, possibly against their will."—Rachel Baker, Old Musty Books
"This is a dark series with a hidden deeper meaning. Malcohn's books are a look at the world we live in. This is not an easy read but it is an important read.... Reading the Deviations series is time well spent."—Debra, at Goodreads
"Rather than stuff judgments of right and wrong down the reader's throat, Malcohn asks questions, and leads the reader to find his own answers. Further, she develops the ideas of right and wrong from her characters' points of view, and the points of view of her various cultures. ... Get the whole series, and allot a large chunk of time for reading them, because once you pick them up you won't want to put them down."—Windborn, at HubPages
"[T]he social commentary that is woven throughout the story is thought provoking and makes you reevaluate what you think you know about yourself and society at large."—Lakisha S, at Manybooks
"If you're looking for a tale that clearly defines good guys and bad guys, this is not your read. But if you're looking for a story filled with immense heart, rich character development, vivid world building and -oh, by the way- is nothing short of great, old fashioned storytelling, you cannot do better than Malcohn's 'Deviations' series."—K.L. Nappier, at Manybooks
"The series is really good. While reading, I could see myself in the story. It was almost as if I could feel, smell, and touch the other characters. That has not happened for me in a novel in quiet a while."—David Bennett, at Smashwords
"Read this book. Do read this book....There are echoes here of the impact of modern imperialism in the 'real' world. Malcohn's World is also, of course, our own post-imperial, war-torn world in a era of dawning austerity."—apidi, at Manybooks
"Love this book [Covenant] and the entire series."—Ian, at, Manybooks
"Loved this series. Really takes you to a different place. Not for the faint of heart. Once I read the first one....I had to read the rest!"—holbritter, at Manybooks
"The world is rich, believable and consistent. The situation is brimming with potential. And I, for one, have never read anything quite like it."—Scott T. Barnes, editor, New Myths
What people are saying about Covenant
"Without sensationalized graphic violence or the glamorized pornography of pulp romance novels, Ms. Malcohn achieves what good science fiction/fantasy is intended to do. She has created a believable world, with characters with whom you can empathize, in a good story that is well and eloquently told ....I give Deviations: Covenant five stars out of five."—David Roth, Examiner
"I give this one an enthusiastic recommendation. Interesting characters, interesting moral quandary, and lots of responses to it. I was expecting one of two easy answers, but Malcohn quite bravely avoided them both....Well worth full paperback price, and I'm quite glad to have it for free."—Bard Bloom, on LiveJournal
"Rich character development and fascinating central conflict quickly addict the reader to this story....the moral issues are so compelling, so thought-provoking, you'll thank the author for presenting this perspective."
—Lady Emily, Redbud Book Club
"Take Ms. Elissa Malcohn ... whose novel Covenant shows some killer talent, and reminds this reader of that paragon of science fiction and fantasy: Robert Silverberg; and her oeuvre doesn't stop there."
—Julianne Draper, Examiner
"This novel is the first in a projected series, and there is definitely enough material for series of books, series of movies, television series, fan-fic, etc. ... I recommend the novel and the author."
—Jean Roberta, in her blog
"This book is a must read for any literary enthusiast. Elissa does a wonderful job in creating this world where the Masari and Yata live in this symbiotic relationship that is based upon ritualistic cannibalism (hence the term Covenant). In spite of the subject matter the novel is not some horrific blood bath, but a thoughtful look into the relationship between these two people groups. This balance that was created by the Covenant to preserve both races is threatened by forces from outside and within their own hearts to free themselves of this enslavement to their DNA and ecology, but may lose their societies should it be successfully destroyed. As heart wrenching as the Covenant is, extinction is worse. Join this journey of faith, doubts, heroic actions, and questionable ethics as this saga is played out upon the backdrop of this primordial world where anything can happen..."
—Glenda Finkelstein, in her blog
"This is just the kind of book I like: too good to put down, but when it's over, you wish there were more and are sorry to see it end ..."
—Gypsy Wynd, on Amazon
"Malcohn has built a very interesting and very well developed central conflict, and the development of the story is second to none..."
—Alan Petrillo, on Amazon
"The author's tone coaxes and guides the reader to judge the ethics of the situation instead of dictating right and wrong. Without revealing the surprising plot, I can say that the story had me creeped out at first, in the way many vampire novels do. But it has a much higher path to it. It's so well-written that once you're caught up in the action, you can't put the book down."
—FatChickDancing, on Amazon
"This novel is, in a word, riveting."
My website lists more published/forthcoming work and other reviews.
Other places where I hang out:
"Chronicles from Hurricane Country," an all-purpose blog; and The Deviations Journey on Blogspot
My introduction to digital photography came via the low-end, inexpensive, limited, and immensely fun Argus DC1500, which I used in several collages posted here and which produced my icon photo.
My software tools include MS Paint and MS Photo Editor (which came with my computer), PowerPoint, and Adobe Acrobat. I do not have Photoshop or its close cousins -- at least, not yet.
I now also use a Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z6, which continues to amaze me. Unless stated otherwise and unless taken before 2005, all the non-collage photos come from the Z6.
Learning as I go along and having a blast....
moon phase info
Photos of E_Journeys (1)
- Flick Cancer 4,633 photos, 1,022 members
- Gogyohka 16 photos, 8 members
- ID Please 12,116 photos, 962 members
- Jupiter-Venus conjunction March 2012 65 photos, 34 members
- Wild Life of Our Homes 83 photos, 62 members
- Writers, authors, poets and readers of Flickr 3,143 photos, 364 members
- Take my insects--Please! 4,947 photos, 97 members
- 1000 Cranes for Japan 1,225 photos, 612 members
- Moths of the eastern United States 9,609 photos, 439 members
- Flickr 10-10-10 3,817 photos, 1,517 members
- October 10, 2010 1,726 photos, 2,436 members
- 101010 - Flickr Project 6,070 photos, 1,735 members
- Chamber of horror books 1,745 photos, 223 members
- John Dewey High School Alumni Association 84 photos, 6 members
- Medicinal, Aromatic and Wild (or rare) Edible Plants 22,412 photos, 1,967 members
- Folded Word 133 photos, 21 members
- Great Photography, in Marc's opinion 235 photos, 1,112 members
- Swallowtail Butterflies (ONLY Swallowtails, PLEASE!!!) 6,063 photos, 1,358 members
- Ebooks 320 photos, 109 members
- FIELD GUIDE: FLOWERING TREES of the WORLD 22,244 photos, 1,807 members
- The NYC Subway 50,518 photos, 15,725 members
- Encyclopedia of Life Images 273,284 photos, 4,002 members
- 6 Million People (Add one portrait of everyone you see) 176,521 photos, 17,926 members
- Wrath of Con 143 photos, 2 members
- Flickr 888 4,626 photos, 10,162 members
- SciFi Catchall 5,028 photos, 261 members
- fantasy 111,156 photos, 7,200 members
- Bookish Events 1,097 photos, 59 members
- Science Fiction Unleashed 41,234 photos, 3,139 members
- Authors 2,627 photos, 266 members
- Author Events 1,759 photos, 106 members
- Readers & Writers 7,633 photos, 1,271 members
- Bugs in Creative Commons 7,870 photos, 75 members
- Wiscon 32 144 photos, 54 members
- TRS-80 Love 300 photos, 112 members
- Made in Soviet Union 19,182 photos, 1,177 members
- Sharpies Only 433 photos, 170 members
- Moth Gallery - P1 C1 please 50,544 photos, 2,993 members
- One Of A Kind 791,566 photos, 21,490 members
- My Story 1,879 photos, 254 members
- Suicide Survivors 15 photos, 28 members
- Notebookism 39,926 photos, 2,553 members
- Science Fiction 13,973 photos, 1,221 members
- Moleskinerie 121,306 photos, 23,315 members
- MixedMedia 14,691 photos, 877 members
- ASTERACEAE 17,230 photos, 771 members
- Viva Evolution! 1,721 photos, 237 members
- Soap 9,776 photos, 1,490 members
- VOICES IN THE WILDERNESS: A Prayer for Wild Things 93,470 photos, 3,522 members
- Florida State Parks (Unofficial) 9,044 photos, 950 members
E_Journeys doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Elissa Malcohn
- October 2005
- Brooklyn, NY
- Beverly Hills, FL, USA
- I am:
- Female and Taken
- Malcohn's World