The State Library of New South Wales' major subject strengths are Australian history, culture and literature, including Aboriginal studies, Antarctic exploration, family history and genealogy, business and management, social sciences, applied science, biography, health and law.
The State Library is home to one of Australia’s most significant historical and heritage collections. As well as nearly 11 kilometres of manuscripts – from nine 1788 First Fleet journals through to the archives of contemporary organisations and writers – the Library holds more than one million photographs. From the earliest surviving photograph taken in Australia – in January 1845 – through to digital photographs taken last month, the Library’s unrivalled photographic collections document with powerful clarity the way Australians have lived their lives over two centuries. You can find out more about the State Library's photographic collections on our website: www.sl.nsw.gov.au/about/collections/photographs.html
More broadly the Library’s collecting reach spans a multitude of platforms: the Library’s mission is to collect, preserve and make accessible the documentary heritage of New South Wales. It holds over 5 million items including books, oil paintings, watercolours, architectural plans, engravings & lithographs, magazines and periodicals, posters, ephemera, sheet music, talking books, maps, CD-ROMs, newspapers, microfilm and microfiche, films and videos, computer software, kits, sound recordings, photographs, coins, postage stamps and other objects.
As well as the images on Flickr Commons, Public Library Services staff have added images of public libraries to Flickr to provide ideas and inspiration for New South Wales public library staff who are planning changes to their libraries. These images will help with plans for renovations and rebuilding.
There are also two groups to enable public libraries to share images of their libraries with each other. One group is for New South Wales public libraries to add their images to, and the other is for public libraries from the rest of Australia and the world.
Follow us on Twitter @statelibrarynsw
Photos of State Library of New South Wales collection (5)
State Library of New South Wales collection's favorite photos from other Flickr members (19)
- Trams & Buses Downunder 1,360 photos, 45 members
- Riverina & South Western Slopes Group 633 photos, 6 members
- Vintage Beach Photos Down Under 63 photos, 20 members
- Churches and other places of worship Downunder 1,980 photos, 57 members
- Newcastle-Hunter-Lake Macquarie and Port Stephens area 1,645 photos, 10 members
- Blue Mountains History & Memories 1,492 photos, 15 members
- Flickr API 774 photos, 18,488 members
- Back to ᗷᒪᗩᑕK~ elite...♥ ..Admin invitation only. 54,976 photos, 4,301 members
- Vintage Australia 1,427 photos, 33 members
- Sydney and Suburbs 5,810 photos, 31 members
- Ships of the Sea 4,413 photos, 62 members
- Vintage Sydney (Australia) 911 photos, 32 members
- Australian & NZ Shops & Stores 2,433 photos, 52 members
- Sydney's Hills & Hawkesbury Districts 2,908 photos, 11 members
- Ferries of Australia & New Zealand 1,780 photos, 39 members
- All Types of Cats 21 photos, 7 members
- Nature HQ 5,517 photos, 26,250 members
- RUNNING LANDSCAPES 122,119 photos, 4,783 members
- MOUNTAIN 169,869 photos, 12,716 members
- Analogue Photos of Vintage Cars 26,812 photos, 1,044 members
- Travellers' Tails 288 photos, 32 members
- PUBLIC TRANSPORT. 116,834 photos, 430 members
- Dancing Outside 419 photos, 56 members
- ANCIENT RELICS 137,924 photos, 4,494 members
- Vintage Photographs of Shopfronts 365 photos, 105 members
- Victorian Hotels 700 photos, 58 members
- British Royal Families 6,739 photos, 429 members
- Cities and people 16,849 photos, 445 members
- ShutterStreet 6,801 photos, 393 members
- St Mary’s Cathedral, Sydney 621 photos, 79 members
- Historical Places -P1/C1 32,257 photos, 1,365 members
- Portrait of society 3,564 photos, 350 members
- PLYM Magazine 161,881 photos, 4,067 members
- Ferries Across Australia (No 30/60 Groups Limit) 3,840 photos, 174 members
- Wharves around the World (No 30/60 Groups Limit) 7,561 photos, 254 members
- Our Dog Photography - High Quality Petography - NEW CONTEST! 17,318 photos, 2,183 members
- Vintage Fun 2,644 photos, 113 members
- "Hand Feeding"Humans Feeding Animals,Birds,Any Living Creature 1,379 photos, 298 members
- Early Photography in the British Empire 1,894 photos, 100 members
- Women in Aviation 40 photos, 7 members
- I shoot paper 4,760 photos, 642 members
- Dated Vintage Photographs (pre 1945) 7,794 photos, 372 members
- Weather Worldwide 76,701 photos, 3,050 members
- NATURE MAGIC/ POST 1 COMMENT 3 23,330 photos, 1,133 members
- Vintage pics 41,252 photos, 769 members
- This Vintage Life 3,400 photos, 70 members
- Persone people людзі lidé mennesker ihmiset gens άνθρ 85,122 photos, 3,353 members
- Behind the scenes of ballet.... 4 photos, 4 members
- Blue Mountains, Hawkesbury and Central Tablelands 9,748 photos, 297 members
- Memories: Capturing Experiences 72,149 photos, 523 members
"I wish to thank the State Library of NSW for making these images available so that we can see from the visual records history in the making.
These prized treasures are a powerful reminder of the legacy that photography plays in the recording of the past and what a contribution the library has played archiving and preserving them for the future.
As with any archive it's only as good as accessibility to it and this has been achieved with admirable success here.
I look forward to the collection being expanded so that more images can be publicly seen and appreciated proving and invaluable resource for all to appreciate."
October 4th, 2008
- State Library of New South Wales
- August 2008
- State Library of New South Wales