The State Library of New South Wales' major subject strengths are Australian history, culture and literature, including Aboriginal studies, Antarctic exploration, family history and genealogy, business and management, social sciences, applied science, biography, health and law.
The State Library is home to one of Australia’s most significant historical and heritage collections. As well as nearly 11 kilometres of manuscripts – from nine 1788 First Fleet journals through to the archives of contemporary organisations and writers – the Library holds more than one million photographs. From the earliest surviving photograph taken in Australia – in January 1845 – through to digital photographs taken last month, the Library’s unrivalled photographic collections document with powerful clarity the way Australians have lived their lives over two centuries. You can find out more about the State Library's photographic collections on our website: www.sl.nsw.gov.au/about/collections/photographs.html
More broadly the Library’s collecting reach spans a multitude of platforms: the Library’s mission is to collect, preserve and make accessible the documentary heritage of New South Wales. It holds over 5 million items including books, oil paintings, watercolours, architectural plans, engravings & lithographs, magazines and periodicals, posters, ephemera, sheet music, talking books, maps, CD-ROMs, newspapers, microfilm and microfiche, films and videos, computer software, kits, sound recordings, photographs, coins, postage stamps and other objects.
As well as the images on Flickr Commons, Public Library Services staff have added images of public libraries to Flickr to provide ideas and inspiration for New South Wales public library staff who are planning changes to their libraries. These images will help with plans for renovations and rebuilding.
There are also two groups to enable public libraries to share images of their libraries with each other. One group is for New South Wales public libraries to add their images to, and the other is for public libraries from the rest of Australia and the world.
Follow us on Twitter @statelibrarynsw
Photos of State Library of New South Wales collection (4)
State Library of New South Wales collection's favorite photos from other Flickr members (14)
- All Types of Cats 20 photos, 3 members
- Origins - Stunning Nature 1,878 photos, 23,316 members
- RUNNING LANDSCAPES 55,241 photos, 4,346 members
- C is for... 29,119 photos, 3,194 members
- Analogue Photos of Vintage Cars 18,715 photos, 754 members
- Travellers' Tails 118 photos, 23 members
- PUBLIC TRANSPORT. 11,452 photos, 285 members
- Dancing Outside 310 photos, 35 members
- ANCIENT RELICS 71,331 photos, 4,024 members
- Vintage Photographs of Shopfronts 262 photos, 72 members
- Victorian Hotels 307 photos, 25 members
- British Royal Families 6,010 photos, 367 members
- Cities and people 3,825 photos, 130 members
- ShutterStreet 4,659 photos, 408 members
- St Mary’s Cathedral, Sydney 584 photos, 69 members
- Historical Places -P1/C1 21,489 photos, 1,322 members
- Portrait of society 1,630 photos, 300 members
- PLYM Magazine 113,648 photos, 3,777 members
- Ferries Across Australia 2,287 photos, 126 members
- Wharves around the World 2,585 photos, 129 members
- Our Dog Photography - High Quality Petography - NEW CONTEST! 16,245 photos, 1,688 members
- Vintage Fun 1,242 photos, 74 members
- "Hand Feeding"Humans Feeding Animals,Birds,Any Living Creature 1,186 photos, 302 members
- Early Photography in the British Empire 1,648 photos, 100 members
- Women in Aviation 29 photos, 7 members
- I shoot paper 3,549 photos, 545 members
- Dated Vintage Photographs (pre 1945) 6,026 photos, 306 members
- Weather Worldwide 43,210 photos, 2,186 members
- NATURE MAGIC/ POST 1 COMMENT 3 15,234 photos, 1,107 members
- Vintage pics 25,734 photos, 488 members
- This Vintage Life 2,266 photos, 51 members
- Persone people людзі lidé mennesker ihmiset gens άνθρ 57,389 photos, 3,022 members
- Behind the scenes of ballet.... 7 photos, 5 members
- Blue Mountains, Hawkesbury and Central Tablelands 8,458 photos, 284 members
- Memories: Capturing Experiences 65,333 photos, 513 members
- Natural Ice Formations 3,289 photos, 834 members
- Best Pictures of The World 46,952 photos, 1,249 members
- ccarbon ccopy 464 photos, 64 members
- ART NOUVEAU ð Best collection in the world 11,961 photos, 987 members
- Me and The Powerhouse Museum 1,534 photos, 213 members
- All beautiful shots 4,374 photos, 296 members
- Taller Than It's Wide 5,016 photos, 393 members
- Latent Beauty 553 photos, 75 members
- Industrial! 9,302 photos, 587 members
- A Black and White World 25,353 photos, 351 members
- If its Not Punk its Junk 1,008 photos, 194 members
- Australian Railway and Tram Photographers 6,913 photos, 38 members
- !Your Best Animal Photo ~~Award 2 66,808 photos, 4,162 members
- We want Flickr with a DARK BACKGROUND!! (NOT PHOTO) 8 photos, 11,436 members
- Objects-Nesneler (New) 3,735 photos, 390 members
"I wish to thank the State Library of NSW for making these images available so that we can see from the visual records history in the making.
These prized treasures are a powerful reminder of the legacy that photography plays in the recording of the past and what a contribution the library has played archiving and preserving them for the future.
As with any archive it's only as good as accessibility to it and this has been achieved with admirable success here.
I look forward to the collection being expanded so that more images can be publicly seen and appreciated proving and invaluable resource for all to appreciate."
October 4th, 2008
- State Library of New South Wales
- August 2008
- State Library of New South Wales