The State Library of New South Wales' major subject strengths are Australian history, culture and literature, including Aboriginal studies, Antarctic exploration, family history and genealogy, business and management, social sciences, applied science, biography, health and law.
The State Library is home to one of Australia’s most significant historical and heritage collections. As well as nearly 11 kilometres of manuscripts – from nine 1788 First Fleet journals through to the archives of contemporary organisations and writers – the Library holds more than one million photographs. From the earliest surviving photograph taken in Australia – in January 1845 – through to digital photographs taken last month, the Library’s unrivalled photographic collections document with powerful clarity the way Australians have lived their lives over two centuries. You can find out more about the State Library's photographic collections on our website: www.sl.nsw.gov.au/about/collections/photographs.html
More broadly the Library’s collecting reach spans a multitude of platforms: the Library’s mission is to collect, preserve and make accessible the documentary heritage of New South Wales. It holds over 5 million items including books, oil paintings, watercolours, architectural plans, engravings & lithographs, magazines and periodicals, posters, ephemera, sheet music, talking books, maps, CD-ROMs, newspapers, microfilm and microfiche, films and videos, computer software, kits, sound recordings, photographs, coins, postage stamps and other objects.
As well as the images on Flickr Commons, Public Library Services staff have added images of public libraries to Flickr to provide ideas and inspiration for New South Wales public library staff who are planning changes to their libraries. These images will help with plans for renovations and rebuilding.
There are also two groups to enable public libraries to share images of their libraries with each other. One group is for New South Wales public libraries to add their images to, and the other is for public libraries from the rest of Australia and the world.
Follow us on Twitter @statelibrarynsw
Photos of State Library of New South Wales collection (7)
State Library of New South Wales collection's favorite photos from other Flickr members (14)
- Black/ White ~ & Shades of Grey .. 564 photos, 206 members
- Vintage Australia 27 photos, 17 members
- Sydney Suburbs 333 photos, 15 members
- Ships of the Sea 761 photos, 25 members
- Vintage Sydney (Australia) 242 photos, 15 members
- Australian Shops & Stores 630 photos, 31 members
- Sydney's Hills & Hawkesbury Districts 174 photos, 9 members
- Ferries of Australia 236 photos, 21 members
- All Types of Cats 21 photos, 3 members
- Origins - Stunning Nature 1,888 photos, 24,850 members
- RUNNING LANDSCAPES 69,200 photos, 4,472 members
- A Forest 42,417 photos, 4,230 members
- Analogue Photos of Vintage Cars 19,916 photos, 798 members
- Travellers' Tails 127 photos, 26 members
- PUBLIC TRANSPORT. 22,648 photos, 330 members
- Dancing Outside 347 photos, 43 members
- ANCIENT RELICS 81,273 photos, 4,105 members
- Vintage Photographs of Shopfronts 269 photos, 78 members
- Victorian Hotels 361 photos, 31 members
- British Royal Families 6,261 photos, 381 members
- Cities and people 5,358 photos, 180 members
- ShutterStreet 5,245 photos, 409 members
- St Mary’s Cathedral, Sydney 594 photos, 70 members
- Historical Places -P1/C1 22,863 photos, 1,332 members
- Portrait of society 1,820 photos, 314 members
- PLYM Magazine 126,459 photos, 3,907 members
- Ferries Across Australia 2,510 photos, 140 members
- Wharves around the World 2,945 photos, 148 members
- Our Dog Photography - High Quality Petography - NEW CONTEST! 16,962 photos, 1,797 members
- Vintage Fun 1,364 photos, 84 members
- "Hand Feeding"Humans Feeding Animals,Birds,Any Living Creature 1,218 photos, 300 members
- Early Photography in the British Empire 1,699 photos, 101 members
- Women in Aviation 29 photos, 7 members
- I shoot paper 3,756 photos, 568 members
- Dated Vintage Photographs (pre 1945) 6,245 photos, 320 members
- Weather Worldwide 48,929 photos, 2,383 members
- NATURE MAGIC/ POST 1 COMMENT 3 16,680 photos, 1,123 members
- Vintage pics 29,378 photos, 542 members
- This Vintage Life 2,407 photos, 54 members
- Persone people людзі lidé mennesker ihmiset gens άνθρ 61,291 photos, 3,071 members
- Behind the scenes of ballet.... 7 photos, 5 members
- Blue Mountains, Hawkesbury and Central Tablelands 8,817 photos, 288 members
- Memories: Capturing Experiences 66,208 photos, 515 members
- Natural Ice Formations 3,387 photos, 834 members
- Best Pictures of The World 55,129 photos, 1,318 members
- ccarbon ccopy 460 photos, 64 members
- ART NOUVEAU ð Best collection in the world 12,005 photos, 985 members
- Me and The Powerhouse Museum 1,532 photos, 212 members
- All beautiful shots 4,949 photos, 306 members
- Taller Than It's Wide 5,038 photos, 393 members
"I wish to thank the State Library of NSW for making these images available so that we can see from the visual records history in the making.
These prized treasures are a powerful reminder of the legacy that photography plays in the recording of the past and what a contribution the library has played archiving and preserving them for the future.
As with any archive it's only as good as accessibility to it and this has been achieved with admirable success here.
I look forward to the collection being expanded so that more images can be publicly seen and appreciated proving and invaluable resource for all to appreciate."
October 4th, 2008
- State Library of New South Wales
- August 2008
- State Library of New South Wales