The State Library of New South Wales' major subject strengths are Australian history, culture and literature, including Aboriginal studies, Antarctic exploration, family history and genealogy, business and management, social sciences, applied science, biography, health and law.
The State Library is home to one of Australia’s most significant historical and heritage collections. As well as nearly 11 kilometres of manuscripts – from nine 1788 First Fleet journals through to the archives of contemporary organisations and writers – the Library holds more than one million photographs. From the earliest surviving photograph taken in Australia – in January 1845 – through to digital photographs taken last month, the Library’s unrivalled photographic collections document with powerful clarity the way Australians have lived their lives over two centuries. You can find out more about the State Library's photographic collections on our website: www.sl.nsw.gov.au/about/collections/photographs.html
More broadly the Library’s collecting reach spans a multitude of platforms: the Library’s mission is to collect, preserve and make accessible the documentary heritage of New South Wales. It holds over 5 million items including books, oil paintings, watercolours, architectural plans, engravings & lithographs, magazines and periodicals, posters, ephemera, sheet music, talking books, maps, CD-ROMs, newspapers, microfilm and microfiche, films and videos, computer software, kits, sound recordings, photographs, coins, postage stamps and other objects.
As well as the images on Flickr Commons, Public Library Services staff have added images of public libraries to Flickr to provide ideas and inspiration for New South Wales public library staff who are planning changes to their libraries. These images will help with plans for renovations and rebuilding.
There are also two groups to enable public libraries to share images of their libraries with each other. One group is for New South Wales public libraries to add their images to, and the other is for public libraries from the rest of Australia and the world.
Follow us on Twitter @statelibrarynsw
Photos of State Library of New South Wales collection (5)
State Library of New South Wales collection's favorite photos from other Flickr members (14)
- Churches and other places of worship Downunder 550 photos, 29 members
- Newcastle-Hunter-Lake Macquarie and Port Stephens area 233 photos, 8 members
- Blue Mountains History & Memories 772 photos, 7 members
- Flickr API 783 photos, 17,454 members
- Back to BLACK 🎶 ..Quality Monochrome Photography 53,350 photos, 3,112 members
- Vintage Australia 848 photos, 26 members
- Sydney Suburbs 1,762 photos, 20 members
- Ships of the Sea 2,747 photos, 49 members
- Vintage Sydney (Australia) 524 photos, 27 members
- Australian & NZ Shops & Stores 1,744 photos, 45 members
- Sydney's Hills & Hawkesbury Districts 1,611 photos, 12 members
- Ferries of Australia & New Zealand 949 photos, 28 members
- All Types of Cats 21 photos, 5 members
- Origins - Stunning Nature 1,937 photos, 25,981 members
- RUNNING LANDSCAPES 94,117 photos, 4,642 members
- MOUNTAIN 96,265 photos, 9,384 members
- Analogue Photos of Vintage Cars 23,182 photos, 923 members
- Travellers' Tails 160 photos, 28 members
- PUBLIC TRANSPORT. 58,687 photos, 377 members
- Dancing Outside 403 photos, 51 members
- ANCIENT RELICS 103,872 photos, 4,269 members
- Vintage Photographs of Shopfronts 285 photos, 90 members
- Victorian Hotels 559 photos, 42 members
- British Royal Families 6,572 photos, 407 members
- Cities and people 11,385 photos, 316 members
- ShutterStreet 6,210 photos, 397 members
- St Mary’s Cathedral, Sydney 605 photos, 75 members
- Historical Places -P1/C1 27,008 photos, 1,356 members
- Portrait of society 2,863 photos, 338 members
- PLYM Magazine 150,275 photos, 4,066 members
- Ferries Across Australia 3,004 photos, 157 members
- Wharves around the World 4,799 photos, 209 members
- Our Dog Photography - High Quality Petography - NEW CONTEST! 17,115 photos, 1,998 members
- Vintage Fun 1,987 photos, 95 members
- "Hand Feeding"Humans Feeding Animals,Birds,Any Living Creature 1,316 photos, 300 members
- Early Photography in the British Empire 1,826 photos, 100 members
- Women in Aviation 40 photos, 7 members
- I shoot paper 4,180 photos, 592 members
- Dated Vintage Photographs (pre 1945) 6,911 photos, 353 members
- Weather Worldwide 62,038 photos, 2,761 members
- NATURE MAGIC/ POST 1 COMMENT 3 20,042 photos, 1,132 members
- Vintage pics 35,500 photos, 637 members
- This Vintage Life 2,838 photos, 63 members
- Persone people людзі lidé mennesker ihmiset gens άνθρ 73,174 photos, 3,275 members
- Behind the scenes of ballet.... 4 photos, 4 members
- Blue Mountains, Hawkesbury and Central Tablelands 9,464 photos, 288 members
- Memories: Capturing Experiences 68,731 photos, 524 members
- Natural Ice Formations 3,663 photos, 851 members
- Best Pictures of The World 88,885 photos, 1,446 members
- ccarbon ccopy 460 photos, 60 members
"I wish to thank the State Library of NSW for making these images available so that we can see from the visual records history in the making.
These prized treasures are a powerful reminder of the legacy that photography plays in the recording of the past and what a contribution the library has played archiving and preserving them for the future.
As with any archive it's only as good as accessibility to it and this has been achieved with admirable success here.
I look forward to the collection being expanded so that more images can be publicly seen and appreciated proving and invaluable resource for all to appreciate."
October 4th, 2008
- State Library of New South Wales
- August 2008
- State Library of New South Wales