I've been interested in aircraft from an early age - particularly the low, fast and loud variety!
As a teenager, I joined the Air Cadets with my first 'annual camp' at RAF Coltishall where they flew the 'iconic' Lightning and a year later at Scampton with the incredible Vulcan.
1970 found us at the Air Traffic school at Shawbury where, along with circuit 'bashing' De Havilland Vampires, they had mounds of Jet Provosts and other ex RAF aircraft all being scrapped at the co-located MU (Maintenance Unit).
My last year with the ATC saw us at another MU, but this time at Bicester near Oxford. With trips out to nearby Brize Norton, we flew circuits in a huge Shorts Belfast transport and to nearby Upper Heyford where we got to see the then 'new' USAF F-111 swing-wing fighter-bomber.
By then I had joined the National Air Traffic Service working in the 'old' Control Tower at London's Heathrow Airport where again I saw many varied types that graced this busy International airport including the first ever Boeing 747 'Jumbo' arrival.
In all of this time and with no decent camera to record any of the fabulous range of aircraft I came across, I'm now playing catch-up even though the subject variety is diminishing as I type!
These experiences and many others from that 'time of plenty' inspired my thirst for photographing all things related to aviation which continues to this day, though I have broadened my interests to the unusual or indeed any other subject matter that takes my eye, particularly in the natural world or sky scapes or the interaction of the two.
I hope you like what you see as I enjoyed taking them all.
My son Garry is an accomplished photographer.
Check out his site at:
He is also here on Flickr www.flickr.com/people/gazraa/
If you get the chance, please check his images out as he takes photos I can only aspire to.
Thanks for looking,
- C-124 Globemasters 153 photos, 44 members
- Spangdahlem AB, visitors and guests aircraft 1,371 photos, 196 members
- Flight Test and Research Aircraft 4,035 photos, 89 members
- Cold War Jets - No 30/60 Limit 7,878 photos, 182 members
- Grumman EA-6B Prowler 1,553 photos, 200 members
- Scale Models 52,168 photos, 1,413 members
- Artistic Aviation 15,184 photos, 919 members
- Gate Guardians 1,530 photos, 82 members
- L-1011s 81 photos, 9 members
- NASA Aviation 3,151 photos, 1,463 members
- Rolls-Royce Dart-powered Aircraft 1,458 photos, 38 members
- The Best, The PANAVIA Tornado 15,356 photos, 645 members
- The F-16 Collection 17,527 photos, 756 members
- Tornado F2/F3/ADV (1984-2011) 1,104 photos, 147 members
- Hawker Hunter Photos 3,873 photos, 392 members
- AIRSHOW-WORLD 6,016 photos, 219 members
- Boeing Aircraft 3,841 photos, 34 members
- Hawker Siddeley Buccaneer 1,312 photos, 111 members
- AMARG and surrounding Scrapyards 2,281 photos, 80 members
- :boneyard: 3,181 photos, 168 members
- P-3 ORION 1,197 photos, 144 members
- A-3 Skywarrior 157 photos, 17 members
- Valkenburg Naval Air Station 133 photos, 16 members
- 40,000 Views Unlimited 40000 3,071 photos, 539 members
- 30,000 Views Unlimited 30000 6,190 photos, 772 members
- RIAT 2017- RAF Fairford-14th-16th.July 2017 12,156 photos, 385 members
- RIAT 2016 - RAF.Fairford Gloucestershire , UK 10,479 photos, 351 members
- Military Aircraft of the World 75,464 photos, 563 members
- two planes in the same picture 25,727 photos, 423 members
- Aircraft faded glory 61,867 photos, 237 members
- Indian Air Force's visit to the RAF 94 photos, 21 members
- Prototype and Development Aircraft 2,954 photos, 103 members
- Team Sony 336,159 photos, 3,445 members
- Boeing Model 377 - C-97s, KC-97s, and Strats 1,376 photos, 123 members
- F4 Phantoms Germany 3,610 photos, 434 members
- F-4 Phantom USAF 5,781 photos, 577 members
- Special Flypasts 261 photos, 25 members
- The `V` Force 1,397 photos, 82 members
- The Royal International Air Tattoo (Official) 74,438 photos, 993 members
- Swedish Air Force 1,324 photos, 97 members
- Anything in the Sky 20,538 photos, 160 members
- The Mighty Chinook 1,053 photos, 102 members
- Raspberry Ripple and other test aircraft schemes 931 photos, 58 members
- Duxford 35,448 photos, 712 members
- London Gatwick Airport (LGW) 14,409 photos, 272 members
- BIG STUFF 1,697 photos, 37 members
- Propliners (Historic Old Props) 29,628 photos, 603 members
- Eurofighter Typhoon (Largest Eurofighter Group) 22,222 photos, 1,254 members
- Scale Models From Scratch 3,126 photos, 163 members
- Westland Wasp 247 photos, 55 members
Alec Blyth says:
"I have had a lifelong interest in aircraft, mainly military.
It is a great pleasure to see such a wide-ranging personal collection, of both military and commercial aircraft, which spans so many years and types. Rob has put a deal of effort into the image presentation and, very detailed, descriptions. The scanning and work on his "Pre-digital" Album images, must have taken much time and effort, in order to present them so stunningly.
They bring back many memories.
I am sure Rob's many followers also appreciate his work.
I must add that he has other subjects equally as interesting.
Thank you Rob very much for all the work and willingness to share your images."
January 31st, 2017
- December 2005
- I am: