I've been interested in aircraft from an early age - particularly the low, fast and loud variety!
As a teenager, I joined the Air Cadets with my first 'annual camp' at RAF Coltishall where they flew the 'iconic' Lightning and a year later at Scampton with the incredible Vulcan.
1970 found us at the Air Traffic school at Shawbury where, along with circuit 'bashing' De Havilland Vampires, they had mounds of Jet Provosts and other ex RAF aircraft all being scrapped at the co-located MU (Maintenance Unit).
My last year with the ATC saw us at another MU, but this time at Bicester near Oxford. With trips out to nearby Brize Norton, we flew circuits in a huge Shorts Belfast transport and to nearby Upper Heyford where we got to see the then 'new' USAF F-111 swing-wing fighter-bomber.
By then I had joined the National Air Traffic Service working in the 'old' Control Tower at London's Heathrow Airport where again I saw many varied types that graced this busy International airport including the first ever Boeing 747 'Jumbo' arrival.
In all of this time and with no decent camera to record any of the fabulous range of aircraft I came across, I'm now playing catch-up even though the subject variety is diminishing as I type!
These experiences and many others from that 'time of plenty' inspired my thirst for photographing all things related to aviation which continues to this day, though I have broadened my interests to the unusual or indeed any other subject matter that takes my eye, particularly in the natural world or sky scapes or the interaction of the two.
I hope you like what you see as I enjoyed taking them all.
My son Garry is an accomplished photographer.
Check out his site at:
He is also here on Flickr www.flickr.com/people/gazraa/
If you get the chance, please check his images out as he takes photos I can only aspire to.
Thanks for looking,
- Rolls-Royce Dart-powered Aircraft 704 photos, 22 members
- The Best, The PANAVIA Tornado 13,430 photos, 591 members
- The F-16 Collection 14,805 photos, 696 members
- Tornado F2/F3/ADV (1984-2011) 1,122 photos, 142 members
- Hawker Hunter Photos 3,587 photos, 375 members
- AIRSHOWS.be 2,974 photos, 204 members
- Boeing Aircraft 2,435 photos, 31 members
- Hawker Siddeley Buccaneer 1,166 photos, 105 members
- AMARG and surrounding Scrapyards 2,184 photos, 75 members
- :boneyard: 2,366 photos, 164 members
- P-3 ORION 910 photos, 118 members
- A-3 Skywarrior 150 photos, 15 members
- Valkenburg Naval Air Station 100 photos, 13 members
- 40,000 Views Unlimited 40000 2,068 photos, 430 members
- 30,000 Views Unlimited 30000 4,231 photos, 627 members
- RIAT 2017- RAF Fairford-14th-16th.July 2017 10,363 photos, 365 members
- RIAT 2016 - RAF.Fairford Gloucestershire , UK 10,949 photos, 341 members
- Military Aircraft of the World 60,857 photos, 510 members
- two planes in the same picture 23,427 photos, 392 members
- Aircraft faded glory 48,217 photos, 223 members
- Indian Air Force visit's the RAF 90 photos, 15 members
- Prototype and Development Aircraft 2,571 photos, 88 members
- Team Sony 271,035 photos, 3,105 members
- Boeing Model 377 - C-97s, KC-97s, and Strats 1,350 photos, 119 members
- F4 Phantoms Germany 3,456 photos, 418 members
- F-4 Phantom USAF 5,365 photos, 551 members
- Special Flypasts 221 photos, 24 members
- The `V` Force 1,262 photos, 81 members
- The Royal International Air Tattoo (Official) 52,789 photos, 941 members
- Swedish Air Force 999 photos, 87 members
- Anything in the Sky 16,582 photos, 158 members
- The Mighty Chinook 798 photos, 96 members
- Raspberry Ripple and other test aircraft schemes 693 photos, 46 members
- Duxford 33,973 photos, 705 members
- London Gatwick Airport (LGW) 12,132 photos, 249 members
- BIG STUFF 1,627 photos, 38 members
- Propliners (Historic Old Props) 26,381 photos, 558 members
- Eurofighter Typhoon (Fastest Growing Eurofighter Group) 18,312 photos, 1,070 members
- Scale Models From Scratch 2,856 photos, 161 members
- Westland Wasp 215 photos, 52 members
- Shoreham-by-Sea 5,290 photos, 226 members
- british aircraft & aviation 37,717 photos, 523 members
- F-4 Phantoms forever 12,430 photos, 930 members
- . : Airplane Graveyard : . 13,509 photos, 900 members
- The Hawker Siddeley Group & Associated Aircraft Companies. 12,491 photos, 413 members
- Pre Digital Aviation 61,463 photos, 277 members
- Aviation Monochrome 4,452 photos, 190 members
- US Military Aircraft 1914 - Present Day 73,735 photos, 626 members
- Naval Aviation 42,250 photos, 1,285 members
- US Navy Aircraft Carriers and their aircraft 1,556 photos, 217 members
Alec Blyth says:
"I have had a lifelong interest in aircraft, mainly military.
It is a great pleasure to see such a wide-ranging personal collection, of both military and commercial aircraft, which spans so many years and types. Rob has put a deal of effort into the image presentation and, very detailed, descriptions. The scanning and work on his "Pre-digital" Album images, must have taken much time and effort, in order to present them so stunningly.
They bring back many memories.
I am sure Rob's many followers also appreciate his work.
I must add that he has other subjects equally as interesting.
Thank you Rob very much for all the work and willingness to share your images."
January 31st, 2017
- December 2005
- I am: