I got my first real camera (a SLR) when I got out of high school, and have been doing this "photographer" thing ever since. I had some really good teachers starting out, so I learned from some of the best people around my location.
I love that I do not have to rely on the technology available to make my image. I can use it as a guide, but I mostly rely on my teaching/training, and my inner voice.
I love being able to look out at a scene, and visualize what the image will look like before I make it.
Even though I now use digital, I am careful in my composition and image-making. In the "good old film days" you only had a finite number of frames per roll of film, so you had to be picky, and know what you were doing. I do not "press and pray" - press the shutter and pray for a good image. Bracketing is fine, but if you know anything about photography even it it's most basic form, you don't need to shoot dozens/hundreds of images to get what you want. A few images is fine - 500 isn't.
The "Age of Digital Imaging" has made people lazy (my opinion). Those people who take the time to learn photography are fine; those who pick up a camera and think they are great photographers (you see them on Craigslist & Facebook) are nothing but charlatans and snake-oil salesmen.
I have never - and will never - shoot in Full Auto or "Program" mode. 90% of what I shoot is Manual.
I learned the "old-fashioned way" by using film, learning about light, exposure, etc., along with darkroom work. Even though I now shoot with digital, I still believe in getting it right in the camera, so there is as little post-processing as necessary. I don't like things that are overly "photoshopped." I learned how to develop and print in a darkroom, so if I can't do it in a darkroom I won't do it in photoshop. (I know how it makes me sound, but...).
A few rules about the Flickr experience...
Comments are welcome, as well as constructive criticism. I am not so vain or egotistical to thing I am perfect (like so many on Flickr do). Negative comments do nothing to advance the art form of photography, so negative comments will be deleted.
Because Flickr is a place to share images, please do me the courtesy of actually having something for me to look at.
If you favorite a photo of mine, and you have nothing available to me, I will block you. Also, if you add me as a contact, but you have nothing available to me, I will block you.
Yes, I am on Google+, Facebook and Twitter.
I know more than most, but less than some.
Have A Nice Day. :)
Kevin's Stuff's favorite photos from other Flickr members (1)
- Eclipses 2,164 photos, 706 members
- Lunar Eclipse of April 14-15 2014 104 photos, 32 members
- Views: 25,000 1,006 photos, 991 members
- Views: 10000 5,937 photos, 3,367 members
- Views: 5000 9,936 photos, 4,134 members
- NASA Lunar Eclipse Group 381 photos, 413 members
- Views: 3000 9,102 photos, 3,972 members
- Comet ISON 143 photos, 228 members
- Canon EOS 7D Users Group 174,398 photos, 5,192 members
- Canon - Aviation 81,143 photos, 622 members
- Warbirds 80,267 photos, 2,755 members
- Antique & Vintage Aircraft 39,588 photos, 1,251 members
- Pilots' Lounge 99,742 photos, 1,284 members
- WW II 33,639 photos, 2,727 members
- Aviation 331,511 photos, 10,713 members
- The Great Lakes (3/day) 18,971 photos, 1,802 members
- APOD Submissions 1,216 photos, 155 members
- Supermoon 2013 442 photos, 280 members
- Canon 7D Digital SLR 359,546 photos, 10,073 members
- Comet PAN-STARRS 466 photos, 168 members
- Canon EOS 7D 142,405 photos, 3,360 members
- Canon EOS 7D Owners 324,856 photos, 9,086 members
- Dachshund 45,367 photos, 3,360 members
- Views: 2000 22,609 photos, 6,396 members
- NOAA Aurora Spotters 366 photos, 71 members
- Michigan Canon Photographers 7,709 photos, 164 members
- NASA Venus Transit Observing Challenge 2,157 photos, 1,185 members
- GRAAA 181 photos, 9 members
- Holland, Michigan 5,213 photos, 310 members
- Michigan Cover Photos 2,679 photos, 115 members
- Landscape Astrophotography 3,833 photos, 491 members
- After Dark - Night Photography 516,293 photos, 33,052 members
- Woodpeckers 9,430 photos, 1,335 members
- Red Bellied Woodpeckers 1,566 photos, 171 members
- Squirrel Photography 26,867 photos, 4,484 members
- Views: 1750 6,410 photos, 2,636 members
- StarStaX - Image stacker for Mac / Windows / Linux 2,246 photos, 1,241 members
- Grand Rapids, Michigan 75,946 photos, 1,593 members
- International Observe the Moon Night 2011 256 photos, 35 members
- Universe Today 13,290 photos, 1,054 members
- Lake Michigan 24,142 photos, 1,450 members
- Deer 44,111 photos, 6,226 members
- The Whitetail Deer 13,383 photos, 1,297 members
- Canon Powershot SX10/20/30 IS 38,574 photos, 946 members
- Puppy Love 46,511 photos, 5,549 members
- Just Puppies! 34,250 photos, 4,660 members
- In the name of DOG!! (NO LIMITS) 53,460 photos, 2,176 members
- Dogs! Dogs! Dogs! 852,123 photos, 108,834 members
- Views: 1500 13,381 photos, 4,722 members
- Butterflies of Eastern USA 15,189 photos, 1,580 members
Kevin's Stuff doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- May 2008
- Marion, Indiana
- Photographer (what else?)