I got my first real camera (a SLR) when I got out of high school, and have been doing this "photographer" thing ever since. I had some really good teachers starting out, so I learned from some of the best people around my location.
I love that I do not have to rely on the technology available to make my image. I can use it as a guide, but I mostly rely on my teaching/training, and my inner voice.
I love being able to look out at a scene, and visualize what the image will look like before I make it.
Even though I now use digital, I am careful in my composition and image-making. In the "good old film days" you only had a finite number of frames per roll of film, so you had to be picky, and know what you were doing. I do not "press and pray" - press the shutter and pray for a good image. Bracketing is fine, but if you know anything about photography even it it's most basic form, you don't need to shoot dozens/hundreds of images to get what you want. A few images is fine - 500 isn't.
The "Age of Digital Imaging" has made people lazy (my opinion). Those people who take the time to learn photography are fine; those who pick up a camera and think they are great photographers (you see them on Craigslist & Facebook) are nothing but charlatans and snake-oil salesmen.
I have never - and will never - shoot in Full Auto or "Program" mode. 90% of what I shoot is Manual.
I learned the "old-fashioned way" by using film, learning about light, exposure, etc., along with darkroom work. Even though I now shoot with digital, I still believe in getting it right in the camera, so there is as little post-processing as necessary. I don't like things that are overly "photoshopped." I learned how to develop and print in a darkroom, so if I can't do it in a darkroom I won't do it in photoshop. (I know how it makes me sound, but...).
A few rules about the Flickr experience...
Comments are welcome, as well as constructive criticism. I am not so vain or egotistical to thing I am perfect (like so many on Flickr do). Negative comments do nothing to advance the art form of photography, so negative comments will be deleted.
Because Flickr is a place to share images, please do me the courtesy of actually having something for me to look at.
If you favorite a photo of mine, and you have nothing available to me, I will block you. Also, if you add me as a contact, but you have nothing available to me, I will block you.
Yes, I am on Google+, Facebook and Twitter.
I know more than most, but less than some.
Have A Nice Day. :)
Kevin's Stuff's favorite photos from other Flickr members (1)
- USAF Thunderbirds 9,074 photos, 917 members
- iPhone 6 Camera 14,508 photos, 2,920 members
- iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus Photos 35,773 photos, 3,050 members
- North American T-6/SNJ/Harvard 5,388 photos, 331 members
- Aircraft Of The US Air Force From 1930 to Present 5,735 photos, 119 members
- WWII Fighters 22,121 photos, 917 members
- North American P-51 Mustangs 14,055 photos, 955 members
- P-51 Mustangs and F4U Corsairs 2,148 photos, 205 members
- 'Thunder Over Michigan' (Airshows in Michigan) 1,390 photos, 50 members
- BattleCreek 693 photos, 66 members
- EAA B-17 "Aluminum Overcast" 51 photos, 12 members
- Warbird Photos 33,639 photos, 576 members
- Commemorative Air Force 5,767 photos, 398 members
- Pictures Of The International Space Station (ISS) 3,471 photos, 906 members
- Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 94,897 photos, 8,701 members
- Tokina AT-X 116 Pro DX (F2.8 11-16mm) 90,410 photos, 6,637 members
- Views: 4000 32,374 photos, 5,623 members
- Eclipses 2,773 photos, 935 members
- Lunar Eclipse of April 14-15 2014 121 photos, 45 members
- Views: 25,000 3,825 photos, 1,674 members
- Views: 10000 26,084 photos, 5,849 members
- Views: 5000 50,053 photos, 7,068 members
- NASA Lunar Eclipse Group 931 photos, 628 members
- Views: 3000 52,976 photos, 6,924 members
- Comet ISON 167 photos, 241 members
- Canon EOS 7D Users Group 218,027 photos, 5,578 members
- Canon - Aviation 338,463 photos, 1,294 members
- Warbirds 117,369 photos, 3,313 members
- Antique & Vintage Aircraft 58,182 photos, 1,493 members
- Pilot's Lounge 224,328 photos, 1,779 members
- WW II 45,838 photos, 3,237 members
- Aviation 605,632 photos, 13,500 members
- The Great Lakes (3/day) 24,727 photos, 2,052 members
- APOD Submissions 11,461 photos, 897 members
- Supermoon 2013 474 photos, 316 members
- Canon 7D - All Models 467,065 photos, 10,899 members
- Comet PAN-STARRS 465 photos, 165 members
- Canon EOS 7D 254,023 photos, 4,416 members
- Canon EOS 7D Owners 524,863 photos, 11,097 members
- Dachshund 46,430 photos, 3,512 members
- Views: 2000 91,413 photos, 10,210 members
- NOAA Aurora Spotters 1,718 photos, 315 members
- Michigan Canon Photographers 12,241 photos, 174 members
- NASA Venus Transit Observing Challenge 2,143 photos, 1,227 members
- GRAAA 225 photos, 10 members
- Holland, Michigan 5,942 photos, 349 members
- Michigan Cover Photos 6,614 photos, 185 members
- Landscape Astrophotography 14,833 photos, 1,545 members
- After Dark - Night Photography 750,432 photos, 42,522 members
- Woodpeckers 14,603 photos, 1,855 members
Kevin's Stuff doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- May 2008
- Marion, Indiana
- Photographer (what else?)