I got my first real camera (a SLR) when I got out of high school, and have been doing this "photographer" thing ever since. I had some really good teachers starting out, so I learned from some of the best people around my location.
I love that I do not have to rely on the technology available to make my image. I can use it as a guide, but I mostly rely on my teaching/training, and my inner voice.
I love being able to look out at a scene, and visualize what the image will look like before I make it.
Even though I now use digital, I am careful in my composition and image-making. In the "good old film days" you only had a finite number of frames per roll of film, so you had to be picky, and know what you were doing. I do not "press and pray" - press the shutter and pray for a good image. Bracketing is fine, but if you know anything about photography even it it's most basic form, you don't need to shoot dozens/hundreds of images to get what you want. A few images is fine - 500 isn't.
The "Age of Digital Imaging" has made people lazy (my opinion). Those people who take the time to learn photography are fine; those who pick up a camera and think they are great photographers (you see them on Craigslist & Facebook) are nothing but charlatans and snake-oil salesmen.
I have never - and will never - shoot in Full Auto or "Program" mode. 90% of what I shoot is Manual.
I learned the "old-fashioned way" by using film, learning about light, exposure, etc., along with darkroom work. Even though I now shoot with digital, I still believe in getting it right in the camera, so there is as little post-processing as necessary. I don't like things that are overly "photoshopped." I learned how to develop and print in a darkroom, so if I can't do it in a darkroom I won't do it in photoshop. (I know how it makes me sound, but...).
A few rules about the Flickr experience...
Comments are welcome, as well as constructive criticism. I am not so vain or egotistical to thing I am perfect (like so many on Flickr do). Negative comments do nothing to advance the art form of photography, so negative comments will be deleted.
Because Flickr is a place to share images, please do me the courtesy of actually having something for me to look at.
If you favorite a photo of mine, and you have nothing available to me, I will block you. Also, if you add me as a contact, but you have nothing available to me, I will block you.
Yes, I am on Google+, Facebook and Twitter.
I know more than most, but less than some.
Have A Nice Day. :)
Kevin's Stuff's favorite photos from other Flickr members (1)
- USAF Thunderbirds 8,857 photos, 894 members
- iPhone 6 Camera 13,538 photos, 2,830 members
- iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus Photos 32,922 photos, 2,912 members
- North American T-6/SNJ/Harvard 5,207 photos, 326 members
- Aircraft Of The US Air Force From 1930 to Present 5,363 photos, 112 members
- WWII Fighters 21,468 photos, 899 members
- North American P-51 Mustangs 13,750 photos, 946 members
- P-51 Mustangs and F4U Corsairs 2,057 photos, 200 members
- 'Thunder Over Michigan' (Airshows in Michigan) 1,330 photos, 50 members
- BattleCreek 687 photos, 66 members
- EAA B-17 "Aluminum Overcast" 47 photos, 11 members
- Warbird Photos 32,089 photos, 562 members
- Commemorative Air Force 5,654 photos, 392 members
- Pictures Of The International Space Station (ISS) 3,418 photos, 897 members
- Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 93,470 photos, 8,640 members
- Tokina AT-X 116 Pro DX (F2.8 11-16mm) 89,268 photos, 6,588 members
- Views: 4000 28,103 photos, 5,472 members
- Eclipses 2,768 photos, 933 members
- Lunar Eclipse of April 14-15 2014 121 photos, 45 members
- Views: 25,000 3,557 photos, 1,641 members
- Views: 10000 23,339 photos, 5,692 members
- Views: 5000 44,588 photos, 6,866 members
- NASA Lunar Eclipse Group 914 photos, 627 members
- Views: 3000 48,528 photos, 6,755 members
- Comet ISON 166 photos, 241 members
- Canon EOS 7D Users Group 215,460 photos, 5,565 members
- Canon - Aviation 315,826 photos, 1,263 members
- Warbirds 113,874 photos, 3,283 members
- Antique & Vintage Aircraft 56,068 photos, 1,471 members
- Pilot's Lounge 212,554 photos, 1,754 members
- WW II 44,686 photos, 3,222 members
- Aviation 584,744 photos, 13,367 members
- The Great Lakes (3/day) 24,158 photos, 2,032 members
- APOD Submissions 10,702 photos, 851 members
- Supermoon 2013 473 photos, 313 members
- Canon 7D - All Models 461,280 photos, 10,866 members
- Comet PAN-STARRS 464 photos, 167 members
- Canon EOS 7D 247,378 photos, 4,365 members
- Canon EOS 7D Owners 514,366 photos, 11,024 members
- Dachshund 46,592 photos, 3,513 members
- Views: 2000 83,442 photos, 9,979 members
- NOAA Aurora Spotters 1,623 photos, 301 members
- Michigan Canon Photographers 11,998 photos, 174 members
- NASA Venus Transit Observing Challenge 2,139 photos, 1,222 members
- GRAAA 228 photos, 10 members
- Holland, Michigan 5,913 photos, 346 members
- Michigan Cover Photos 6,284 photos, 177 members
- Landscape Astrophotography 13,790 photos, 1,467 members
- After Dark - Night Photography 735,440 photos, 42,020 members
- Woodpeckers 14,446 photos, 1,831 members
Kevin's Stuff doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- May 2008
- Marion, Indiana
- Photographer (what else?)