I got my first real camera (a SLR) when I got out of high school, and have been doing this "photographer" thing ever since. I had some really good teachers starting out, so I learned from some of the best people around my location.
I love that I do not have to rely on the technology available to make my image. I can use it as a guide, but I mostly rely on my teaching/training, and my inner voice.
I love being able to look out at a scene, and visualize what the image will look like before I make it.
Even though I now use digital, I am careful in my composition and image-making. In the "good old film days" you only had a finite number of frames per roll of film, so you had to be picky, and know what you were doing. I do not "press and pray" - press the shutter and pray for a good image. Bracketing is fine, but if you know anything about photography even it it's most basic form, you don't need to shoot dozens/hundreds of images to get what you want. A few images is fine - 500 isn't.
The "Age of Digital Imaging" has made people lazy (my opinion). Those people who take the time to learn photography are fine; those who pick up a camera and think they are great photographers (you see them on Craigslist & Facebook) are nothing but charlatans and snake-oil salesmen.
I have never - and will never - shoot in Full Auto or "Program" mode. 90% of what I shoot is Manual.
I learned the "old-fashioned way" by using film, learning about light, exposure, etc., along with darkroom work. Even though I now shoot with digital, I still believe in getting it right in the camera, so there is as little post-processing as necessary. I don't like things that are overly "photoshopped." I learned how to develop and print in a darkroom, so if I can't do it in a darkroom I won't do it in photoshop. (I know how it makes me sound, but...).
A few rules about the Flickr experience...
Comments are welcome, as well as constructive criticism. I am not so vain or egotistical to thing I am perfect (like so many on Flickr do). Negative comments do nothing to advance the art form of photography, so negative comments will be deleted.
Because Flickr is a place to share images, please do me the courtesy of actually having something for me to look at.
If you favorite a photo of mine, and you have nothing available to me, I will block you. Also, if you add me as a contact, but you have nothing available to me, I will block you.
Yes, I am on Google+, Facebook and Twitter.
I know more than most, but less than some.
Have A Nice Day. :)
Kevin's Stuff's favorite photos from other Flickr members (1)
- EAA B-17 "Aluminum Overcast" 37 photos, 8 members
- Warbird Photos 23,492 photos, 444 members
- Commemorative Air Force 5,194 photos, 349 members
- Pictures Of The International Space Station (ISS) 2,933 photos, 747 members
- Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 81,485 photos, 7,867 members
- Tokina AT-X 116 Pro DX (F2.8 11-16mm) 77,837 photos, 5,987 members
- Views: 4000 10,792 photos, 4,024 members
- Eclipses 2,510 photos, 827 members
- Lunar Eclipse of April 14-15 2014 125 photos, 42 members
- Views: 25,000 1,736 photos, 1,286 members
- Views: 10000 13,244 photos, 4,301 members
- Views: 5000 20,895 photos, 5,172 members
- NASA Lunar Eclipse Group 551 photos, 501 members
- Views: 3000 19,371 photos, 4,978 members
- Comet ISON 149 photos, 235 members
- Canon EOS 7D Users Group 192,858 photos, 5,321 members
- Canon - Aviation 160,543 photos, 931 members
- Warbirds 92,912 photos, 2,982 members
- Antique & Vintage Aircraft 45,778 photos, 1,352 members
- Pilot's Lounge 136,570 photos, 1,522 members
- WW II 37,604 photos, 2,930 members
- Aviation 425,058 photos, 12,046 members
- The Great Lakes (3/day) 21,170 photos, 1,905 members
- APOD Submissions 4,698 photos, 522 members
- Supermoon 2013 462 photos, 293 members
- Canon 7D - All Models 407,399 photos, 10,427 members
- Comet PAN-STARRS 461 photos, 164 members
- Canon EOS 7D 191,418 photos, 3,874 members
- Canon EOS 7D Owners 418,633 photos, 10,267 members
- Dachshund 46,383 photos, 3,448 members
- Views: 2000 30,271 photos, 7,678 members
- NOAA Aurora Spotters 769 photos, 214 members
- Michigan Canon Photographers 9,878 photos, 168 members
- NASA Venus Transit Observing Challenge 2,137 photos, 1,188 members
- GRAAA 188 photos, 9 members
- Holland, Michigan 5,556 photos, 329 members
- Michigan Cover Photos 4,324 photos, 141 members
- Landscape Astrophotography 6,980 photos, 813 members
- After Dark - Night Photography 613,617 photos, 37,419 members
- Woodpeckers 11,507 photos, 1,566 members
- Red Bellied Woodpeckers 1,621 photos, 201 members
- Squirrel Photography 34,270 photos, 5,339 members
- Views: 1750 16,745 photos, 3,353 members
- StarStaX - Image stacker for Mac / Windows / Linux 3,170 photos, 1,740 members
- Grand Rapids, Michigan 79,121 photos, 1,658 members
- Universe Today 24,150 photos, 1,609 members
- Lake Michigan 26,759 photos, 1,537 members
- Deer 51,937 photos, 6,807 members
- The Whitetail Deer 15,076 photos, 1,386 members
- Canon Powershot SX10/20/30 IS 40,559 photos, 984 members
Kevin's Stuff doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- May 2008
- Marion, Indiana
- Photographer (what else?)