I got my first real camera (a SLR) when I got out of high school, and have been doing this "photographer" thing ever since. I had some really good teachers starting out, so I learned from some of the best people around my location.
I love that I do not have to rely on the technology available to make my image. I can use it as a guide, but I mostly rely on my teaching/training, and my inner voice.
I love being able to look out at a scene, and visualize what the image will look like before I make it.
Even though I now use digital, I am careful in my composition and image-making. In the "good old film days" you only had a finite number of frames per roll of film, so you had to be picky, and know what you were doing. I do not "press and pray" - press the shutter and pray for a good image. Bracketing is fine, but if you know anything about photography even it it's most basic form, you don't need to shoot dozens/hundreds of images to get what you want. A few images is fine - 500 isn't.
The "Age of Digital Imaging" has made people lazy (my opinion). Those people who take the time to learn photography are fine; those who pick up a camera and think they are great photographers (you see them on Craigslist & Facebook) are nothing but charlatans and snake-oil salesmen.
I have never - and will never - shoot in Full Auto or "Program" mode. 90% of what I shoot is Manual.
I learned the "old-fashioned way" by using film, learning about light, exposure, etc., along with darkroom work. Even though I now shoot with digital, I still believe in getting it right in the camera, so there is as little post-processing as necessary. I don't like things that are overly "photoshopped." I learned how to develop and print in a darkroom, so if I can't do it in a darkroom I won't do it in photoshop. (I know how it makes me sound, but...).
A few rules about the Flickr experience...
Comments are welcome, as well as constructive criticism. I am not so vain or egotistical to thing I am perfect (like so many on Flickr do). Negative comments do nothing to advance the art form of photography, so negative comments will be deleted.
Because Flickr is a place to share images, please do me the courtesy of actually having something for me to look at.
If you favorite a photo of mine, and you have nothing available to me, I will block you. Also, if you add me as a contact, but you have nothing available to me, I will block you.
Yes, I am on Google+, Facebook and Twitter.
I know more than most, but less than some.
Have A Nice Day. :)
Kevin's Stuff's favorite photos from other Flickr members (1)
- USAF Thunderbirds 9,297 photos, 940 members
- iPhone 6 Camera 15,199 photos, 2,973 members
- iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus Photos 37,664 photos, 3,104 members
- North American T-6/SNJ/Harvard 5,430 photos, 336 members
- Aircraft Of The US Air Force From 1930 to Present 5,899 photos, 122 members
- WWII Fighters 22,382 photos, 930 members
- North American P-51 Mustangs 14,090 photos, 963 members
- P-51 Mustangs and F4U Corsairs 2,182 photos, 213 members
- 'Thunder Over Michigan' (Airshows in Michigan) 1,396 photos, 50 members
- BattleCreek 696 photos, 66 members
- EAA B-17 "Aluminum Overcast" 51 photos, 12 members
- Warbird Photos 34,271 photos, 589 members
- Commemorative Air Force 5,874 photos, 402 members
- Pictures Of The International Space Station (ISS) 3,509 photos, 914 members
- Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 95,771 photos, 8,749 members
- Tokina AT-X 116 Pro DX (F2.8 11-16mm) 91,045 photos, 6,662 members
- Views: 4000 33,499 photos, 5,720 members
- Eclipses 2,779 photos, 936 members
- Lunar Eclipse of April 14-15 2014 120 photos, 45 members
- Views: 25,000 3,446 photos, 1,685 members
- Views: 10000 22,989 photos, 5,872 members
- Views: 5000 52,131 photos, 7,181 members
- NASA Lunar Eclipse Group 947 photos, 631 members
- Views: 3000 55,017 photos, 7,045 members
- Comet ISON 167 photos, 239 members
- Canon EOS 7D Users Group 220,023 photos, 5,595 members
- Canon - Aviation 353,760 photos, 1,316 members
- Warbirds 118,832 photos, 3,339 members
- Antique & Vintage Aircraft 59,061 photos, 1,493 members
- Pilot's Lounge 232,342 photos, 1,793 members
- WW II 46,417 photos, 3,258 members
- Aviation 621,233 photos, 13,562 members
- The Great Lakes (3/day) 25,055 photos, 2,066 members
- APOD Submissions 11,929 photos, 922 members
- Supermoon 2013 484 photos, 331 members
- Canon 7D - All Models 471,158 photos, 10,919 members
- Comet PAN-STARRS 462 photos, 165 members
- Canon EOS 7D 258,703 photos, 4,445 members
- Canon EOS 7D Owners 532,876 photos, 11,145 members
- Dachshund 46,508 photos, 3,515 members
- Views: 2000 96,035 photos, 10,344 members
- NOAA Aurora Spotters 1,740 photos, 322 members
- Michigan Canon Photographers 12,465 photos, 174 members
- NASA Venus Transit Observing Challenge 2,154 photos, 1,226 members
- GRAAA 225 photos, 11 members
- Holland, Michigan 5,954 photos, 350 members
- Michigan Cover Photos 6,916 photos, 186 members
- Landscape Astrophotography 15,533 photos, 1,584 members
- After Dark - Night Photography 762,288 photos, 42,994 members
- Woodpeckers 14,863 photos, 1,879 members
Kevin's Stuff doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- May 2008
- Marion, Indiana
- Photographer (what else?)