I got my first real camera (a SLR) when I got out of high school, and have been doing this "photographer" thing ever since. I had some really good teachers starting out, so I learned from some of the best people around my location.
I love that I do not have to rely on the technology available to make my image. I can use it as a guide, but I mostly rely on my teaching/training, and my inner voice.
I love being able to look out at a scene, and visualize what the image will look like before I make it.
Even though I now use digital, I am careful in my composition and image-making. In the "good old film days" you only had a finite number of frames per roll of film, so you had to be picky, and know what you were doing. I do not "press and pray" - press the shutter and pray for a good image. Bracketing is fine, but if you know anything about photography even it it's most basic form, you don't need to shoot dozens/hundreds of images to get what you want. A few images is fine - 500 isn't.
The "Age of Digital Imaging" has made people lazy (my opinion). Those people who take the time to learn photography are fine; those who pick up a camera and think they are great photographers (you see them on Craigslist & Facebook) are nothing but charlatans and snake-oil salesmen.
I have never - and will never - shoot in Full Auto or "Program" mode. 90% of what I shoot is Manual.
I learned the "old-fashioned way" by using film, learning about light, exposure, etc., along with darkroom work. Even though I now shoot with digital, I still believe in getting it right in the camera, so there is as little post-processing as necessary. I don't like things that are overly "photoshopped." I learned how to develop and print in a darkroom, so if I can't do it in a darkroom I won't do it in photoshop. (I know how it makes me sound, but...).
A few rules about the Flickr experience...
Comments are welcome, as well as constructive criticism. I am not so vain or egotistical to thing I am perfect (like so many on Flickr do). Negative comments do nothing to advance the art form of photography, so negative comments will be deleted.
Because Flickr is a place to share images, please do me the courtesy of actually having something for me to look at.
If you favorite a photo of mine, and you have nothing available to me, I will block you. Also, if you add me as a contact, but you have nothing available to me, I will block you.
Yes, I am on Google+, Facebook and Twitter.
I know more than most, but less than some.
Have A Nice Day. :)
Kevin's Stuff's favorite photos from other Flickr members (1)
- 'Thunder Over Michigan' (Airshows in Michigan) 1,109 photos, 41 members
- BattleCreek 660 photos, 61 members
- EAA B-17 "Aluminum Overcast" 38 photos, 9 members
- Warbird Photos 25,274 photos, 473 members
- Commemorative Air Force 5,360 photos, 362 members
- Pictures Of The International Space Station (ISS) 2,973 photos, 771 members
- Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 83,734 photos, 8,026 members
- Tokina AT-X 116 Pro DX (F2.8 11-16mm) 80,087 photos, 6,084 members
- Views: 4000 11,879 photos, 4,259 members
- Eclipses 2,516 photos, 834 members
- Lunar Eclipse of April 14-15 2014 128 photos, 43 members
- Views: 25,000 1,956 photos, 1,376 members
- Views: 10000 15,437 photos, 4,556 members
- Views: 5000 23,587 photos, 5,486 members
- NASA Lunar Eclipse Group 557 photos, 505 members
- Views: 3000 22,854 photos, 5,278 members
- Comet ISON 149 photos, 234 members
- Canon EOS 7D Users Group 196,921 photos, 5,369 members
- Canon - Aviation 186,843 photos, 1,004 members
- Warbirds 98,682 photos, 3,065 members
- Antique & Vintage Aircraft 50,814 photos, 1,371 members
- Pilot's Lounge 152,169 photos, 1,581 members
- WW II 39,215 photos, 2,997 members
- Aviation 454,038 photos, 12,385 members
- The Great Lakes (3/day) 21,678 photos, 1,931 members
- APOD Submissions 5,807 photos, 592 members
- Supermoon 2013 470 photos, 293 members
- Canon 7D - All Models 417,330 photos, 10,509 members
- Comet PAN-STARRS 457 photos, 165 members
- Canon EOS 7D 200,960 photos, 3,982 members
- Canon EOS 7D Owners 436,738 photos, 10,435 members
- Dachshund 46,589 photos, 3,459 members
- Views: 2000 35,709 photos, 8,035 members
- NOAA Aurora Spotters 865 photos, 228 members
- Michigan Canon Photographers 10,187 photos, 172 members
- NASA Venus Transit Observing Challenge 2,134 photos, 1,192 members
- GRAAA 189 photos, 9 members
- Holland, Michigan 5,595 photos, 330 members
- Michigan Cover Photos 4,600 photos, 148 members
- Landscape Astrophotography 8,151 photos, 968 members
- After Dark - Night Photography 633,249 photos, 38,291 members
- Woodpeckers 11,978 photos, 1,614 members
- Red Bellied Woodpeckers 1,614 photos, 201 members
- Squirrel Photography 35,590 photos, 5,475 members
- Views: 1750 19,886 photos, 3,545 members
- StarStaX - Image stacker for Mac / Windows / Linux 3,464 photos, 1,836 members
- Grand Rapids, Michigan 79,846 photos, 1,674 members
- Universe Today 26,718 photos, 1,687 members
- Lake Michigan 27,240 photos, 1,553 members
- Deer 53,384 photos, 6,902 members
Kevin's Stuff doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- May 2008
- Marion, Indiana
- Photographer (what else?)