I got my first real camera (a SLR) when I got out of high school, and have been doing this "photographer" thing ever since. I had some really good teachers starting out, so I learned from some of the best people around my location.
I love that I do not have to rely on the technology available to make my image. I can use it as a guide, but I mostly rely on my teaching/training, and my inner voice.
I love being able to look out at a scene, and visualize what the image will look like before I make it.
Even though I now use digital, I am careful in my composition and image-making. In the "good old film days" you only had a finite number of frames per roll of film, so you had to be picky, and know what you were doing. I do not "press and pray" - press the shutter and pray for a good image. Bracketing is fine, but if you know anything about photography even it it's most basic form, you don't need to shoot dozens/hundreds of images to get what you want. A few images is fine - 500 isn't.
The "Age of Digital Imaging" has made people lazy (my opinion). Those people who take the time to learn photography are fine; those who pick up a camera and think they are great photographers (you see them on Craigslist & Facebook) are nothing but charlatans and snake-oil salesmen.
I have never - and will never - shoot in Full Auto or "Program" mode. 90% of what I shoot is Manual.
I learned the "old-fashioned way" by using film, learning about light, exposure, etc., along with darkroom work. Even though I now shoot with digital, I still believe in getting it right in the camera, so there is as little post-processing as necessary. I don't like things that are overly "photoshopped." I learned how to develop and print in a darkroom, so if I can't do it in a darkroom I won't do it in photoshop. (I know how it makes me sound, but...).
A few rules about the Flickr experience...
Comments are welcome, as well as constructive criticism. I am not so vain or egotistical to thing I am perfect (like so many on Flickr do). Negative comments do nothing to advance the art form of photography, so negative comments will be deleted.
Because Flickr is a place to share images, please do me the courtesy of actually having something for me to look at.
If you favorite a photo of mine, and you have nothing available to me, I will block you. Also, if you add me as a contact, but you have nothing available to me, I will block you.
Yes, I am on Google+, Facebook and Twitter.
I know more than most, but less than some.
Have A Nice Day. :)
Kevin's Stuff's favorite photos from other Flickr members (1)
- 'Thunder Over Michigan' (Airshows in Michigan) 1,274 photos, 47 members
- BattleCreek 668 photos, 63 members
- EAA B-17 "Aluminum Overcast" 45 photos, 11 members
- Warbird Photos 27,745 photos, 525 members
- Commemorative Air Force 5,539 photos, 377 members
- Pictures Of The International Space Station (ISS) 3,159 photos, 843 members
- Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 88,603 photos, 8,366 members
- Tokina AT-X 116 Pro DX (F2.8 11-16mm) 84,595 photos, 6,374 members
- Views: 4000 19,245 photos, 4,890 members
- Eclipses 2,736 photos, 924 members
- Lunar Eclipse of April 14-15 2014 121 photos, 45 members
- Views: 25,000 2,669 photos, 1,536 members
- Views: 10000 19,007 photos, 5,183 members
- Views: 5000 32,872 photos, 6,262 members
- NASA Lunar Eclipse Group 824 photos, 624 members
- Views: 3000 35,309 photos, 6,076 members
- Comet ISON 150 photos, 238 members
- Canon EOS 7D Users Group 205,595 photos, 5,484 members
- Canon - Aviation 247,561 photos, 1,165 members
- Warbirds 106,262 photos, 3,189 members
- Antique & Vintage Aircraft 53,903 photos, 1,423 members
- Pilot's Lounge 184,645 photos, 1,687 members
- WW II 41,647 photos, 3,128 members
- Aviation 515,202 photos, 12,932 members
- The Great Lakes (3/day) 22,837 photos, 1,978 members
- APOD Submissions 8,448 photos, 745 members
- Supermoon 2013 479 photos, 310 members
- Canon 7D - All Models 435,937 photos, 10,693 members
- Comet PAN-STARRS 461 photos, 166 members
- Canon EOS 7D 223,542 photos, 4,220 members
- Canon EOS 7D Owners 474,802 photos, 10,788 members
- Dachshund 47,052 photos, 3,502 members
- Views: 2000 58,659 photos, 9,147 members
- NOAA Aurora Spotters 1,422 photos, 275 members
- Michigan Canon Photographers 11,046 photos, 172 members
- NASA Venus Transit Observing Challenge 2,128 photos, 1,215 members
- GRAAA 215 photos, 10 members
- Holland, Michigan 5,694 photos, 336 members
- Michigan Cover Photos 5,296 photos, 167 members
- Landscape Astrophotography 11,045 photos, 1,242 members
- After Dark - Night Photography 692,137 photos, 40,566 members
- Woodpeckers 13,071 photos, 1,715 members
- Red Bellied Woodpeckers 1,606 photos, 206 members
- Squirrel Photography 38,924 photos, 5,858 members
- Views: 1750 28,232 photos, 4,097 members
- StarStaX - Image stacker for Mac / Windows / Linux 3,999 photos, 2,088 members
- Grand Rapids, Michigan 80,897 photos, 1,682 members
- Universe Today 32,661 photos, 1,976 members
- Lake Michigan 28,374 photos, 1,600 members
- Deer 57,721 photos, 7,209 members
Kevin's Stuff doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- May 2008
- Marion, Indiana
- Photographer (what else?)