Some answers to frequently asked questions...
How do you build your Wee Planets?
Please read the description of my Wee Planets set. It has many links and explanations.
What kind of equipement do you use?
Most of my pictures were taken with a Pentax K10D, or (since October 2009) with a Pentax K-7.
For panoramic shots I use a Pentax 10-17mm fisheye zoom. I also use a
Manfrotto panoramic head (303SPH), but with the fisheye lens it's
often easy enough to shoot handheld.
What software do you use?
I use only free software. I've been an exclusive GNU/Linux user for about 15 years now. I use tools like The Gimp, enblend, hugin, and mathmap.
What are the licenses of your pictures?
Many of my pictures are licensed under one of the following two
Creative Commons License in order to ease sharing.
1. Attribution Share-alike
2. Attribution Share-alike Non-Commercial usage
Beware that not ALL pictures are under a Creative Commons. You should be able to tell which license is used by searching for these symbols in the "additional info" block at the bottom of each picture's page.
The Creative Commons license allows you to display, print, and generally reuse my work as long as you play by the rules of the license. The abridged rules are :
1. that any use should be duly credited, and the license of the picture should always be indicated
2. any derivative work should be distributed under the same license
3. for some pictures (), you may not use them for any commercial purpose
Derivative work is when you build upon my work to create another work. For instance if you use my pictures as textures in a composite, it's a derivative. Silhouetting a picture to create a sticker, also creates derivate work. You may only distribute your derivation under the same license.
Simply reproducing the picture (for instance on the web or in print) does not constitute a derivative work. In other words a blog or a journal that publishes one of my pictures does not need to be distributed under the same license... However they have to credit me and state that the picture is under a Creative Commons license.
Someone who alters the picture to turn in into an advertisement is obviously both making a derivative work and having a commercial usage of the picture.
For credits, I prefer my full name to be used (it's Alexandre Duret-Lutz) along with a mention of the license. For websites, it's OK if you replace this credit with an obvious link to the picture's page on flickr.
Please take the time to actually read the text of the licenses before using my pictures, these explanations are by no way a substitute.
Where can I contact you?
Mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Can I use your pictures on my web site?
I receive too many such questions my mail. Please read the previous text and get yourself familiar with the Creative Commons licenses. If your intended use is compatible with the license you do not need my permission to exercize a right that I've already granted you. If it's not compatible, you should tell me how before I can give (or sell) you my permission.
Can I print your picture for private use?
For any of my picture that is under a Creative Commons license, you can download the full size picture and have it printed for your personal use, without bothering about the obligation to credit and display the license of the picture. (Any distribution of the resulting print should however respect these obligations, because it's not longer private use.)
If you hang the picture in your house, I would really appreciate if you could send me a picture of the installation (or better: post that picture as a flickr comment to the picture you printed).
Some of my pictures are on sell on ImageKind. If you buy here, I'll earn a small commission. However you should feel free to have the picture printed elsewhere if you want.
Can I sell postcards, or mugs showing your pictures?
If the license allows commercial uses, and if you respect the rules of the license, the short answer is yes. For postcards, it's easy to credit the author and display the license on the back. For mug, you might decide (that's a hypothesis) to modifiy the picture to overlay it with credit and license, in that case you have built a derived picture that you should make available using the same license as the original picture. The idea is that anybody should be able to print the same mug without buying yours.
Regardless of these licensing issues, the reason I distribute some pictures using a license that allow commercial uses (like printing in a journal) is not so that other people make money on my back by selling derived products on a day-to-day basis. If you want to start such a commerce, I'd appreciate if you could be fair and contact me to buy reproduction rights.
- Maza & Gadl à Lisbonne - 2012/2013 137 photos, 2 members
- La "petite ceinture" 1,395 photos, 227 members
- Camping Jura - Août 2011 97 photos, 2 members
- Newcastle Upon Tyne group 8,949 photos, 1,201 members
- Our Worlds - Palmela 2011 Panoramic Photography exhibition 204 photos, 65 members
- Edinburgh 138,800 photos, 5,722 members
- Pictures of Gard - Images du Gard - France 58,655 photos, 769 members
- Triptychs 15,880 photos, 4,390 members
- Rajasthan, the COLOUR state 17,153 photos, 985 members
- Panoramic Portraits 404 photos, 57 members
- G'MIC 9,297 photos, 919 members
- Macau 18,946 photos, 1,065 members
- Tower Bridge 5,588 photos, 1,370 members
- Roma - Rome 101,738 photos, 9,671 members
- Big Ben 5,046 photos, 1,801 members
- Colosseum / Colosseo 2,915 photos, 909 members
- The London Eye 13,903 photos, 3,686 members
- Stop Motion And Time-Lapse 2,592 photos, 956 members
- HD Videos on Flickr 3,769 photos, 1,074 members
- Long Photo (Panorama Videos) 118 photos, 53 members
- HDR Equirectangular 589 photos, 97 members
- MBC Paris 2009 204 photos, 9 members
- Vincennes Château - Castle 712 photos, 97 members
- Games, Board and Otherwise 12,485 photos, 1,867 members
- Chocolate Beans 81 photos, 56 members
- 94 Val de Marne 3,284 photos, 104 members
- Auvers-sur-Oise 552 photos, 45 members
- Airports: SXM / TNCM 3,930 photos, 388 members
- Mr. CHAT 1,443 photos, 328 members
- MBC Toulouse - Septembre 2008 42 photos, 5 members
- Hérault ... orama 14,076 photos, 475 members
- Bordeaux et C.U.B. 10,213 photos, 1,233 members
- MBC Strasbourg 2007 225 photos, 9 members
- BC NSS...Bookcrossing parcels....RABCK gifts 299 photos, 70 members
- Cubes 536 photos, 142 members
- Extremely Large Panoramas 10,000x minimum 3,242 photos, 832 members
- Foldables 1,836 photos, 69 members
- St-Étienne-du-Mont 147 photos, 25 members
- Pentaxians Unite (PU) 34,548 photos, 479 members
- Polar weirdness 1,653 photos, 169 members
- 9::16 Tallscreen 302 photos, 33 members
- Pentax DA Fisheye 10-17mm 5,272 photos, 379 members
- Amelie Poulain 2,225 photos, 557 members
- Paris B&W (rules apply) 80,996 photos, 10,932 members
- Strobist.com 608,054 photos, 124,184 members
- Shakespeare and Company 846 photos, 308 members
- Stereographic Projections 10,931 photos, 1,340 members
- Paris 360° Panoramas 655 photos, 104 members
- I.S.C.A.G.V.I - Aesthetics Symposium 29 photos, 9 members
- Polarizer 10,338 photos, 1,289 members
"Always on the lookout for a new and creative way to entertain us all, Alexandre has one of those few photostreams that makes people click on every new photo, in case there is something more interesting and fun than what the thumbnail shows -and there always is!"
November 2nd, 2006
"Alexandre's photos are consistently creative. The often keep me looking a little longer than the average photo, and often require a second or third visit.
He certainly has a wonderful style with a mathematical / geeky tilt (in a good way). And having his photo's in my contacts' stream has paid off again and again."
October 31st, 2006
- Alexandre Duret-Lutz
- December 2005
- Paris, France
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Computer Science
- home page