I am Portuguese and German by blood, American by birth and currently a Brooklynite in heart and home.
I was always surrounded by photography growing up. I considered my dad's Leicaflex to be my "untouchable little brother"- it got almost as much attention and affection as I did.
Now that my father has passed on his Leica to me, I've delved much deeper into a love of photography. The 'little brother' accompanies me almost everywhere I go in NYC. The smell and experience of the darkroom is one of my greatest joys. I also shoot digital and find myself often enjoying the freedom and rebellion the digital world inspires.
Though I've been blessed with a few great teachers along the way, I have to say that I've been overwhelmed with the talent I have encountered here in the flickr world- I have most assuredly learned more from all of you than I can possibly explain.
I am extremely grateful for your inspiration and feedback and humbled by your talent.
My camera family:
analog: Leicaflex SL, Rolleicord III. pina the pinhole, Brownie Hawkeye, Polaroid SX-70
digital: Leica D-Lux 4, Canon 50D
I do all my own developing of b&w film and really love the process. After a lot of people asked me about it I decided to post a self-developing tutorial for anyone who's interested:
step one- getting supplies
step two- mixing chemicals
step three- loading the reels
final step- developing film!
hope that's helpful!
p.s. you'll see from my photostream that i also have a love of yarn and knitting. my two best friends from college and i have a blog where you can read all about it
- Guardian Camera Club 26,102 photos, 12,867 members
- Lightradi.us 4,066 photos, 234 members
- Mittelformat 68,369 photos, 1,651 members
- Rolleiflex and Rolleicord 62,893 photos, 5,629 members
- The Childhood of the invisible... 2,563 photos, 206 members
- Classic cameras (pre-80s)... 69,440 photos, 1,516 members
- Keep Us Alive. . ( Film Only ) 7,101 photos, 200 members
- Rollei users 44,958 photos, 1,753 members
- Folding medium format cameras 27,062 photos, 1,695 members
- Nettar 1,273 photos, 218 members
- I <3 35mm 1,604 photos, 108 members
- CHARITY PRINT AUCTIONS - PHILIPPINES 0 photos, 1,334 members
- American Elegy 23,309 photos, 566 members
- FeelScape 8,285 photos, 570 members
- Film Without Training Wheels 32,338 photos, 844 members
- Kodachrome 40,581 photos, 2,580 members
- lo-fi film highs! █████ 52,879 photos, 1,100 members
- 4x5 Film camera 21,723 photos, 1,707 members
- Large Format 75,426 photos, 15,561 members
- 4x5 pinhole Camera 3,016 photos, 233 members
- the defiant eye 17,513 photos, 234 members
- www.FrameDiscovery.com (want to be interviewed and showcased?) 399 photos, 71 members
- Brownie 7,379 photos, 1,451 members
- Flipped Lens 3,154 photos, 274 members
- ~WORLD TOY CAMERA DAY~ 8,914 photos, 935 members
- Candid Silhouettes 3,945 photos, 287 members
- MoMA The Museum of Modern Art (Official) 5,680 photos, 2,565 members
- Brownstoner 30,626 photos, 555 members
- 120 NYC 6,272 photos, 331 members
- 120MY 20,251 photos, 366 members
- ZYD Radio NUNES 11,599 photos, 282 members
- TriX Lovers 100,965 photos, 5,676 members
- Polaroid SX 70 109,801 photos, 16,343 members
- THE IMPOSSIBLE PROJECT 147,343 photos, 9,704 members
- Brownie Hawkeye Flash 8,250 photos, 1,345 members
- 6x6 magic 384,766 photos, 10,360 members
- 120 597,252 photos, 16,852 members
- The Bus Stops Here 248 photos, 95 members
- DNALSI YENOC 46 photos, 20 members
- American Iconography 3,909 photos, 140 members
- Composición en la Fotografía 27,332 photos, 1,041 members
- We are the Equivalents 389 photos, 50 members
- one more group 2,636 photos, 307 members
- Crazy Shadows - Ombre Pazze 4,998 photos, 442 members
- Camera Makers 8,907 photos, 1,824 members
- Homemade Pinhole 29,937 photos, 2,784 members
- Matchbox Pinhole 7,301 photos, 1,485 members
- Pinhole Photography 79,787 photos, 19,016 members
- Simple and minimalistic 186,128 photos, 8,812 members
- ☂6 X 6☂ 4,451 photos, 2,257 members
"Claire is one of my favorite contacts and not to mention, a great gal. Her timing in capturing a random person in her images is brilliant. I especially love her museum shots. She has a wonderful eye for geometry and is one of the few photographers who actually shoots film and developes her own images. I am always in awe of her work. Keep em' comin' girl!"
April 5th, 2011
"claire always takes me to another world completly different from everything I know. the way she sees things and her philosophy are very unique. I could watch her fotos for hours while trippin deep in my mind. wish you all the best Claire."
October 12th, 2010
German Adolfo says:
"sus fotos son magicas!! muy buena fotografa!! excelente!!!"
September 2nd, 2010
"It'a always a pleasure to see the last creation from cmvoelkel !!!! :)"
August 13th, 2010
"If Flickr gave awards to members that make Flickr better, I would nominate Claire. She often uses her well-deserved popularity to spotlight the work of other members. She is as gracious and humble as artists come, especially considering her immense talent. Her photographic tapestries of light and shadow often have subtle touches of humor and whimsey that reward the viewer for spending a few extra seconds with each image. She approaches subjects and scenes with thoughtfulness and intelligence, both technically and compositionally. She’s so good, I want to follow and observe, and so nice that I would be content just to hang with her and knit a socktopus."
July 21st, 2010
May 4th, 2010
Fabio (Fagu) Costa says:
"Cmvoelkel is brilliant. One of my favourite photographers."
April 29th, 2010
"Cmvoelkel represents her remarkable and gentle spirit through her work. She is authentic and appears to be good-natured. She preserves fleeting moments and tranquil locales. She is also very good at capturing distinct angles, conquering and succeeding!"
April 14th, 2010
Tim Schreier says:
"One of the world's most celebrated contemporary artists once explained to me that his sculpture work is not about the sculpture at all. It is about how and where it sits in the environment. His work is about place and space. It commands one to think outside of the piece, looking and experiencing the entire field of view.
I find that in Claire's photography. To me, her work is about capturing not only an object but more importantly how that object relates to the entire space and how that space relates to the object.
Of the millions of images found on Flickr, I must say that Claire's have taught me the most. I am inspired by her work and every piece she is generous enough to share, I learn more and more from. She has a remarkable way of capturing not only beauty but mood as well. Her work is truly masterpieces.
I am a total novice at photography, a hack. I must say CMV's work and generosity of comments have been more than helpful to me, as I learn from pros like her.
Thank you Claire for all that you do and the magic you perform and share with all of us! I know I speak for many in that your work is greatly appreciated!"
March 2nd, 2010
Stéphane Pouyllau says:
"J'aime l'univers urbain que photographie Claire avec son petit frère. Elle fait de la photo humaine et sociale perpétuant tout en modifiant la photographie humaniste. La photographie de Claire c'est comme une balade avec un leica à l'épaule un dimanche à 15h avec un beau soleil de printemps ou d'automne.
[en version] : I love the urban univers that photography Claire with her little brother. She capture human and social photos perpetuating while changing humanist photography like in 50'. Claire's photos are like a ride with a leica around the neck a sunday at 3pm with a beautiful sunny spring or autumn."
February 17th, 2010
"I can't remember how I stumbled upon her work but since then visiting her photostream is always a delightful surprise for me! I believe that she is gifted in seeing things differently through her lens. I am also sure that if others walked to the places she has, they wouldn't be able to produce the work she has. That is why her work is unique, interesting and extremely inspirational for everyone who is into photography!"
February 10th, 2010
James Withey says:
"I love cmvoelkel's photos. They make me think differently, explore my photography further and many a photo I think "Oh I wish I had taken that photo"-always a good sign.
I like the mixture of shape, lines, shadow and composition that always work so well.
This is one of my favourite streams that I keep coming back to and find something new and different which is what Flickr is all about for me."
February 2nd, 2010
- January 2008
- wi (but a brooklynite at heart)
- munich, germany
- I am:
- Female and Taken