Born in London in 1957, by 1967 the adults in charge had labled me as Strange, not much has happened since then. I did however manage to get through 13 schools in ten years.
Many of the photos are those of us from the various Children's Homes. Most of us from the 1950s went to ordinary schools in the towns the Homes were in.
For some our clothing matched those from ordinary families, but often there was something that set us apart, our clothes might be of good quality, but many had been passed down from a boy that had outgrown, sometimes we were not in the latest fashions.
I didn't mind the older style clothes in the more dull colours, some of us did have a few differences depending which Sister was in front of our own small group, my Sister would not allow me to have long trousers on a cold day, I was however allowed to wear dungarees, I was the only one in the primary school to wear dungarees.
Wellingtons were another item we were often seen in, damage your shoes or sandals and you were in major trouble, you could wear plimsolls in school, but due to the many times you would be changing out of thgem, it was easier to wear wellington boots all day in school. Some of the teachers disapproved, but known how we need to look after our clothing did not say very much.
On school photo day, many would get their own back by putting us at the very front of the photo, the summer class photo where most of the children were in summer clothes and sandals, often had one or more of us stuck at the front of the photo in wellingtons, on wet days or if the photo was taken in the winter, we might get a few more ordinary kids joining us on the front row.
for my life in a children's home.
Photos of theirhistory (1)
- Best 5000 Free Pictures 4,960 photos, 603 members
- Old Family Slides 4,729 photos, 206 members
- 16mm 209 photos, 77 members
- My Happy Soviet Childhood 383 photos, 238 members
- Dutch School Pictures / Nederlandse Schoolfoto's 79 photos, 22 members
- FOTOGRAFIA ESCOLAR School Portraits 156 photos, 16 members
- Plotlands UK 391 photos, 43 members
- Original 1960s 12,231 photos, 1,520 members
- HILDENBOROUGH 62 photos, 4 members
- Harpenden 770 photos, 83 members
- Graveyards In Colour 308 photos, 42 members
- Dorset Events 2,489 photos, 151 members
- Kinson School & Village Memories 2,006 photos, 30 members
- Childhood and Schooldays Nostalgia 1,016 photos, 493 members
- School group portrait 789 photos, 146 members
- Teddy bears - Teddys 19,945 photos, 2,617 members
- Vintage rainwear (kids and teens) 68 photos, 101 members
- School Photo 1,179 photos, 322 members
- British School Photographs 568 photos, 132 members
- Old Photos 136,788 photos, 7,443 members
- Wales 149,523 photos, 3,435 members
- Christmas Past 2,220 photos, 214 members
- Vintage Kids 36,345 photos, 3,093 members
theirhistory doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- December 2007
- I am:
- Their History of a Child in Care