Born in London in 1957, by 1967 the adults in charge had labled me as Strange, not much has happened since then. I did however manage to get through 13 schools in ten years.
Many of the photos are those of us from the various Children's Homes. Most of us from the 1950s went to ordinary schools in the towns the Homes were in.
For some our clothing matched those from ordinary families, but often there was something that set us apart, our clothes might be of good quality, but many had been passed down from a boy that had outgrown, sometimes we were not in the latest fashions.
I didn't mind the older style clothes in the more dull colours, some of us did have a few differences depending which Sister was in front of our own small group, my Sister would not allow me to have long trousers on a cold day, I was however allowed to wear dungarees, I was the only one in the primary school to wear dungarees.
Wellingtons were another item we were often seen in, damage your shoes or sandals and you were in major trouble, you could wear plimsolls in school, but due to the many times you would be changing out of thgem, it was easier to wear wellington boots all day in school. Some of the teachers disapproved, but known how we need to look after our clothing did not say very much.
On school photo day, many would get their own back by putting us at the very front of the photo, the summer class photo where most of the children were in summer clothes and sandals, often had one or more of us stuck at the front of the photo in wellingtons, on wet days or if the photo was taken in the winter, we might get a few more ordinary kids joining us on the front row.
for my life in a children's home.
Photos of theirhistory (6)
- OLD PHOTOS OF PEOPLE POSING IN A GROUP 878 photos, 43 members
- Things They Won't Let Us Do Any More" 655 photos, 81 members
- London Vintage Postcards 1,808 photos, 97 members
- Best 5000 Free Pictures 5,311 photos, 928 members
- Old Family Slides 5,080 photos, 220 members
- 16mm 246 photos, 79 members
- My Happy Soviet Childhood 385 photos, 246 members
- Dutch School Pictures / Nederlandse Schoolfoto's 81 photos, 24 members
- FOTOGRAFIA ESCOLAR School Portraits 159 photos, 17 members
- Plotlands UK 396 photos, 47 members
- Original 1960s 13,108 photos, 1,577 members
- HILDENBOROUGH 62 photos, 4 members
- Harpenden 808 photos, 85 members
- Graveyards In Colour 350 photos, 51 members
- Dorset Events 2,688 photos, 156 members
- Kinson School & Village Memories 2,024 photos, 31 members
- Childhood and Schooldays Nostalgia 1,214 photos, 555 members
- School group portrait 1,198 photos, 155 members
- Teddy bears - Teddys 20,858 photos, 2,648 members
- Vintage rainwear (children and young teens) 84 photos, 114 members
- School Photo 1,286 photos, 346 members
- British School Photographs 598 photos, 146 members
- Old Photos 144,257 photos, 7,564 members
- Wales 159,191 photos, 3,555 members
- Christmas Past 2,299 photos, 220 members
- Vintage Kids 37,853 photos, 3,119 members
theirhistory doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- December 2007
- I am:
- Their History of a Child in Care