Born in London in 1957, by 1967 the adults in charge had labled me as Strange, not much has happened since then. I did however manage to get through 13 schools in ten years.
Many of the photos are those of us from the various Children's Homes. Most of us from the 1950s went to ordinary schools in the towns the Homes were in.
For some our clothing matched those from ordinary families, but often there was something that set us apart, our clothes might be of good quality, but many had been passed down from a boy that had outgrown, sometimes we were not in the latest fashions.
I didn't mind the older style clothes in the more dull colours, some of us did have a few differences depending which Sister was in front of our own small group, my Sister would not allow me to have long trousers on a cold day, I was however allowed to wear dungarees, I was the only one in the primary school to wear dungarees.
Wellingtons were another item we were often seen in, damage your shoes or sandals and you were in major trouble, you could wear plimsolls in school, but due to the many times you would be changing out of thgem, it was easier to wear wellington boots all day in school. Some of the teachers disapproved, but known how we need to look after our clothing did not say very much.
On school photo day, many would get their own back by putting us at the very front of the photo, the summer class photo where most of the children were in summer clothes and sandals, often had one or more of us stuck at the front of the photo in wellingtons, on wet days or if the photo was taken in the winter, we might get a few more ordinary kids joining us on the front row.
for my life in a children's home.
Photos of theirhistory (6)
- OLD PHOTOS OF PEOPLE POSING IN A GROUP 1,799 photos, 72 members
- Things They Won't Let Us Do Any More" 721 photos, 80 members
- London Vintage Postcards 2,370 photos, 115 members
- Best 5000 Free Pictures 5,303 photos, 954 members
- Old Family Slides 5,238 photos, 221 members
- 16mm 258 photos, 80 members
- My Happy Soviet Childhood 399 photos, 249 members
- Dutch School Pictures / Nederlandse Schoolfoto's 81 photos, 24 members
- FOTOGRAFIA ESCOLAR School Portraits 160 photos, 18 members
- Plotlands UK 412 photos, 48 members
- Original 1960s 13,372 photos, 1,598 members
- HILDENBOROUGH 62 photos, 5 members
- Harpenden 820 photos, 86 members
- Graveyards In Colour 414 photos, 56 members
- Dorset Events 2,715 photos, 157 members
- Kinson School & Village Memories 2,033 photos, 32 members
- Childhood and Schooldays Nostalgia 1,305 photos, 571 members
- School group portrait 1,256 photos, 158 members
- Teddy bears - Teddys 21,097 photos, 2,652 members
- Vintage rainwear (children and young teens) 503 photos, 118 members
- School Photo 1,327 photos, 347 members
- British School Photographs 607 photos, 153 members
- Old Photos 146,862 photos, 7,603 members
- Wales 160,547 photos, 3,592 members
- Christmas Past 2,433 photos, 236 members
- Vintage Kids 38,594 photos, 3,135 members
theirhistory doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- December 2007
- I am:
- Their History of a Child in Care