I am Professor at Otago Polytechnic, in Dunedin, New Zealand. I effectively hold two positions - I teach in computing (software engineering, interaction design) and hold the institution’s Education for Sustainability Portfolio.
Here’s the bio:
A Professor with a background in both IT and land management, Sam has developed applied IT for regional government, crown research institutes and large organisations. He has taught computing since 1994, at Otago Polytechnic Information Technology since 1997, including five years as Head of Department. Sam has published over 150 conference and journal papers in the fields of augmented experiences; sustainability; and computer education.
Sam is responsible for the development of Education for Sustainability at Otago Polytechnic where we are committed to
every graduate thinking and acting as a sustainable practitioner
This initiative recently won the ITPNZ Award for Excellence in Education for a Global Role.
Sam is working in computing to develop strategies, practices and resources for computing to contribute positively to a sustainable future. Sam led the development of the draft statement on Education for Sustainability for the ACM, which followed up on the success of New Zealand NACCQ policy and agenda on computing education for sustainability.
Sam is convenor of Sustainability in Tertiary Education in New Zealand (STENZ), a cross sector group with the vision that
In 2014, all NZ tertiary graduates will understand the principles, values, and practices of sustainability.
In 2009 Sam is the Beeby Fellow for his work in Education for Sustainability. The Beeby fellowship is a joint initiative between New Zealand National Commission for UNESCO and the NZ Council of Education Research.
In 2009, Sam is one of four NZ delegates to the UNESCO World Conference on Education for Sustainable Development.
Sam teaches Software Engineering (using a hybrid Agile Development Framework) and manages the capstone industry projects. He and his students work on systems that harness the power of technology to help engage people with information: the goal is to make the computer invisible and to instead focus on promoting engaging experiences.
Sam’s current research, SimPa, works with Mäori communities to retell their stories in 3D game format (teaching Mäori kids programming in the process!).
Sam is on the national executive of the National Advisory Committee of Computing Qualifications, is editor of NZ’s premier computing conference, is chair of the Research and Support Working Group for polytechnic computing and is a Trustee of NZ Centres for Information Technology Research.
Photos of Samuel Mann (5)
- Photographers with their Subjects 4,226 photos, 618 members
- Wind Turbines & Wind Farms 15,247 photos, 4,288 members
- Southland, New Zealand- 4,331 photos, 322 members
- n z . f l i c k r . m e e t u p s . [ n z f m ] 32,316 photos, 1,028 members
- D D D 8,751 photos, 158 members
- Stereophotography 58,739 photos, 2,605 members
- Earth Hour 2010 4,827 photos, 1,377 members
- Sunrises and Sunsets 428,710 photos, 29,787 members
- Shader Materials for 3D modeling 911 photos, 41 members
- CityScape Dunedin 466 photos, 22 members
- Dunedin 3,749 photos, 226 members
- Bad Signs 22,532 photos, 3,949 members
- Libertà di FOTOGRAFARE ™ 40,936 photos, 1,397 members
- mixeum : mixing people, art and museums 830 photos, 85 members
- dunedin.nz.flickr.meetups.[dnzfm] 3,032 photos, 138 members
- Jumping Project 51,163 photos, 34,117 members
- Tell a story in 5 frames (Visual story telling) 190 photos, 12,908 members
- Tell a Story with 5 Photos for Educators 7 photos, 242 members
- Diagrams 2,476 photos, 656 members
- Square Foot Gardening 3,621 photos, 435 members
- environmentally friendly 1,628 photos, 439 members
- Sustainability for all 121 photos, 53 members
- 10 Million Photos 8,463,061 photos, 87,579 members
- Reasons Of Our Humanity 46,452 photos, 2,348 members
- Pop Up Cards 907 photos, 257 members
- Paper Pop Ups 752 photos, 115 members
- Museum Labels 164 photos, 94 members
- Melbourne Museum 348 photos, 103 members
- Little Museums 11,975 photos, 147 members
- Locomotion, the National Railway Museum at Shildon 8,362 photos, 261 members
- Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History 2,207 photos, 451 members
- Interactive Media 384 photos, 74 members
- Museum of London 1,534 photos, 359 members
- Inside London Transport Museum 2,910 photos, 364 members
- Science Museum - London 7,501 photos, 716 members
- Avant-Garden 22,098 photos, 2,308 members
- Dunedin Street Art 309 photos, 70 members
Samuel Mann doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Samuel Mann
- November 2007
- Dunedin, New Zealand
- I am: