I am Professor at Otago Polytechnic, in Dunedin, New Zealand. I effectively hold two positions - I teach in computing (software engineering, interaction design) and hold the institution’s Education for Sustainability Portfolio.
Here’s the bio:
A Professor with a background in both IT and land management, Sam has developed applied IT for regional government, crown research institutes and large organisations. He has taught computing since 1994, at Otago Polytechnic Information Technology since 1997, including five years as Head of Department. Sam has published over 150 conference and journal papers in the fields of augmented experiences; sustainability; and computer education.
Sam is responsible for the development of Education for Sustainability at Otago Polytechnic where we are committed to
every graduate thinking and acting as a sustainable practitioner
This initiative recently won the ITPNZ Award for Excellence in Education for a Global Role.
Sam is working in computing to develop strategies, practices and resources for computing to contribute positively to a sustainable future. Sam led the development of the draft statement on Education for Sustainability for the ACM, which followed up on the success of New Zealand NACCQ policy and agenda on computing education for sustainability.
Sam is convenor of Sustainability in Tertiary Education in New Zealand (STENZ), a cross sector group with the vision that
In 2014, all NZ tertiary graduates will understand the principles, values, and practices of sustainability.
In 2009 Sam is the Beeby Fellow for his work in Education for Sustainability. The Beeby fellowship is a joint initiative between New Zealand National Commission for UNESCO and the NZ Council of Education Research.
In 2009, Sam is one of four NZ delegates to the UNESCO World Conference on Education for Sustainable Development.
Sam teaches Software Engineering (using a hybrid Agile Development Framework) and manages the capstone industry projects. He and his students work on systems that harness the power of technology to help engage people with information: the goal is to make the computer invisible and to instead focus on promoting engaging experiences.
Sam’s current research, SimPa, works with Mäori communities to retell their stories in 3D game format (teaching Mäori kids programming in the process!).
Sam is on the national executive of the National Advisory Committee of Computing Qualifications, is editor of NZ’s premier computing conference, is chair of the Research and Support Working Group for polytechnic computing and is a Trustee of NZ Centres for Information Technology Research.
Photos of Samuel Mann (5)
- Photographers with their Subjects 4,291 photos, 634 members
- Wind Turbines & Wind Farms 15,383 photos, 4,302 members
- Southland, New Zealand- 4,357 photos, 324 members
- n z . f l i c k r . m e e t u p s . [ n z f m ] 32,248 photos, 1,028 members
- D D D 9,002 photos, 159 members
- Stereophotography 59,491 photos, 2,606 members
- Earth Hour 2010 4,844 photos, 1,376 members
- Sunrises and Sunsets 439,079 photos, 30,024 members
- Shader Materials for 3D modeling 911 photos, 41 members
- CityScape Dunedin 465 photos, 22 members
- Dunedin 3,793 photos, 230 members
- Bad Signs 22,568 photos, 3,948 members
- Libertà di FOTOGRAFARE ™ 40,998 photos, 1,396 members
- mixeum : mixing people, art and museums 859 photos, 87 members
- dunedin.nz.flickr.meetups.[dnzfm] 3,036 photos, 139 members
- Jumping Project 51,068 photos, 34,187 members
- Tell a story in 5 frames (Visual story telling) 186 photos, 12,909 members
- Tell a Story with 5 Photos for Educators 7 photos, 245 members
- Diagrams 2,501 photos, 654 members
- Square Foot Gardening 3,633 photos, 439 members
- environmentally friendly 1,665 photos, 441 members
- Sustainability for all 181 photos, 53 members
- 10 Million Photos 8,470,463 photos, 87,275 members
- Reasons Of Our Humanity 46,929 photos, 2,344 members
- Pop Up Cards 916 photos, 257 members
- Paper Pop Ups 757 photos, 115 members
- Museum Labels 164 photos, 94 members
- Melbourne Museum 348 photos, 102 members
- Little Museums 12,645 photos, 147 members
- Locomotion, the National Railway Museum at Shildon 8,535 photos, 264 members
- Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History 2,223 photos, 454 members
- Interactive Media 384 photos, 74 members
- Museum of London 1,572 photos, 366 members
- Inside London Transport Museum 2,920 photos, 359 members
- Science Museum - London 7,507 photos, 717 members
- Avant-Garden 22,082 photos, 2,300 members
- Dunedin Street Art 309 photos, 70 members
Samuel Mann doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Samuel Mann
- November 2007
- Dunedin, New Zealand
- I am: