I am Professor at Otago Polytechnic, in Dunedin, New Zealand. I effectively hold two positions - I teach in computing (software engineering, interaction design) and hold the institution’s Education for Sustainability Portfolio.
Here’s the bio:
A Professor with a background in both IT and land management, Sam has developed applied IT for regional government, crown research institutes and large organisations. He has taught computing since 1994, at Otago Polytechnic Information Technology since 1997, including five years as Head of Department. Sam has published over 150 conference and journal papers in the fields of augmented experiences; sustainability; and computer education.
Sam is responsible for the development of Education for Sustainability at Otago Polytechnic where we are committed to
every graduate thinking and acting as a sustainable practitioner
This initiative recently won the ITPNZ Award for Excellence in Education for a Global Role.
Sam is working in computing to develop strategies, practices and resources for computing to contribute positively to a sustainable future. Sam led the development of the draft statement on Education for Sustainability for the ACM, which followed up on the success of New Zealand NACCQ policy and agenda on computing education for sustainability.
Sam is convenor of Sustainability in Tertiary Education in New Zealand (STENZ), a cross sector group with the vision that
In 2014, all NZ tertiary graduates will understand the principles, values, and practices of sustainability.
In 2009 Sam is the Beeby Fellow for his work in Education for Sustainability. The Beeby fellowship is a joint initiative between New Zealand National Commission for UNESCO and the NZ Council of Education Research.
In 2009, Sam is one of four NZ delegates to the UNESCO World Conference on Education for Sustainable Development.
Sam teaches Software Engineering (using a hybrid Agile Development Framework) and manages the capstone industry projects. He and his students work on systems that harness the power of technology to help engage people with information: the goal is to make the computer invisible and to instead focus on promoting engaging experiences.
Sam’s current research, SimPa, works with Mäori communities to retell their stories in 3D game format (teaching Mäori kids programming in the process!).
Sam is on the national executive of the National Advisory Committee of Computing Qualifications, is editor of NZ’s premier computing conference, is chair of the Research and Support Working Group for polytechnic computing and is a Trustee of NZ Centres for Information Technology Research.
Photos of Samuel Mann (5)
- Photographers and Their Subjects 3,593 photos, 486 members
- Wind Turbines & Wind Farms 13,615 photos, 3,998 members
- Southland, New Zealand- 3,833 photos, 279 members
- n z . f l i c k r . m e e t u p s . [ n z f m ] 30,515 photos, 1,030 members
- D D D 6,448 photos, 140 members
- Stereophotography 55,193 photos, 2,504 members
- Earth Hour 2010 4,147 photos, 1,395 members
- Sunrises and Sunsets 309,181 photos, 25,300 members
- Shader Materials for 3D modeling 745 photos, 39 members
- CityScape Dunedin 464 photos, 23 members
- Dunedin 3,265 photos, 205 members
- Bad Signs 22,230 photos, 3,989 members
- Libertà di FOTOGRAFARE ™ 37,586 photos, 1,395 members
- mixeum : mixing people, art and museums 710 photos, 83 members
- dunedin.nz.flickr.meetups.[dnzfm] 2,969 photos, 133 members
- Jumping Project 51,343 photos, 32,301 members
- Tell a story in 5 frames (Visual story telling) 190 photos, 12,812 members
- Tell a Story with 5 Photos for Educators 0 photos, 234 members
- Diagrams 2,485 photos, 625 members
- Square Foot Gardening 3,534 photos, 435 members
- environmentally friendly 1,517 photos, 436 members
- Sustainability for all 124 photos, 53 members
- 10 Million Photos 8,632,116 photos, 80,381 members
- Reasons Of Our Humanity 44,034 photos, 2,361 members
- Pop Up Cards 807 photos, 237 members
- Paper Pop Ups 688 photos, 102 members
- Museum Labels 198 photos, 90 members
- Melbourne Museum 374 photos, 105 members
- Little Museums 9,110 photos, 135 members
- Locomotion, the National Railway Museum at Shildon 6,356 photos, 222 members
- Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History 2,080 photos, 401 members
- Interactive Media 337 photos, 69 members
- Museum of London 1,023 photos, 310 members
- Inside London Transport Museum 2,877 photos, 352 members
- Science Museum - London 7,043 photos, 707 members
- Avant-Garden 22,486 photos, 2,368 members
- Dunedin Street Art 274 photos, 62 members
Samuel Mann doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Samuel Mann
- November 2007
- Dunedin, New Zealand
- I am: