I am Associate Professor at Otago Polytechnic, in Dunedin, New Zealand. I effectively hold two positions - I teach in computing (software engineering, interaction design) and hold the institution’s Education for Sustainability Portfolio.
Here’s the bio:
An Associate Professor with a background in both IT and land management, Sam has developed applied IT for regional government, crown research institutes and large organisations. He has taught computing since 1994, at Otago Polytechnic Information Technology since 1997, including five years as Head of Department. Sam has published over 150 conference and journal papers in the fields of augmented experiences; sustainability; and computer education.
Sam is responsible for the development of Education for Sustainability at Otago Polytechnic where we are committed to
every graduate thinking and acting as a sustainable practitioner
This initiative recently won the ITPNZ Award for Excellence in Education for a Global Role.
Sam is working in computing to develop strategies, practices and resources for computing to contribute positively to a sustainable future. Sam led the development of the draft statement on Education for Sustainability for the ACM, which followed up on the success of New Zealand NACCQ policy and agenda on computing education for sustainability.
Sam is convenor of Sustainability in Tertiary Education in New Zealand (STENZ), a cross sector group with the vision that
In 2014, all NZ tertiary graduates will understand the principles, values, and practices of sustainability.
In 2009 Sam is the Beeby Fellow for his work in Education for Sustainability. The Beeby fellowship is a joint initiative between New Zealand National Commission for UNESCO and the NZ Council of Education Research.
In 2009, Sam is one of four NZ delegates to the UNESCO World Conference on Education for Sustainable Development.
Sam teaches Software Engineering (using a hybrid Agile Development Framework) and manages the capstone industry projects. He and his students work on systems that harness the power of technology to help engage people with information: the goal is to make the computer invisible and to instead focus on promoting engaging experiences.
Sam’s current research, SimPa, works with Mäori communities to retell their stories in 3D game format (teaching Mäori kids programming in the process!).
Sam is on the national executive of the National Advisory Committee of Computing Qualifications, is editor of NZ’s premier computing conference, is chair of the Research and Support Working Group for polytechnic computing and is a Trustee of NZ Centres for Information Technology Research.
Photos of Samuel Mann (4)
- Photographers and Their Subjects 2,886 photos, 358 members
- Wind Turbines & Wind Farms 11,964 photos, 3,634 members
- Southland, New Zealand- 2,745 photos, 235 members
- n z . f l i c k r . m e e t u p s . [ n z f m ] 29,220 photos, 1,012 members
- D D D 5,214 photos, 126 members
- Stereophotography 48,258 photos, 2,394 members
- Earth Hour 2010 4,042 photos, 1,421 members
- Sunrises and Sunsets 227,293 photos, 21,163 members
- Shader Materials for 3D modeling 744 photos, 40 members
- CityScape Dunedin 424 photos, 18 members
- Dunedin 2,867 photos, 170 members
- Bad Signs 21,854 photos, 3,991 members
- Libertà di FOTOGRAFARE ™ 34,976 photos, 1,405 members
- mixeum : mixing people, art and museums 588 photos, 82 members
- dunedin.nz.flickr.meetups.[dnzfm] 2,700 photos, 122 members
- Jumping Project 49,868 photos, 28,508 members
- Tell a story in 5 frames (Visual story telling) 195 photos, 12,724 members
- Tell a Story with 5 Photos for Educators 0 photos, 218 members
- Diagrams 2,176 photos, 591 members
- Square Foot Gardening 3,463 photos, 429 members
- environmentally friendly 1,528 photos, 436 members
- Sustainability for all 123 photos, 50 members
- 10 Million Photos 8,467,862 photos, 69,326 members
- Reasons Of Our Humanity 42,580 photos, 2,330 members
- Pop Up Cards 736 photos, 207 members
- Paper Pop Ups 683 photos, 95 members
- Museum Labels 164 photos, 83 members
- Melbourne Museum 361 photos, 93 members
- Little Museums 5,596 photos, 130 members
- Locomotion, the National Railway Museum at Shildon 4,688 photos, 196 members
- Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History 1,885 photos, 353 members
- Interactive Media 261 photos, 65 members
- Museum of London 918 photos, 273 members
- Inside London Transport Museum 2,733 photos, 331 members
- Science Museum - London 6,795 photos, 681 members
- Avant-Garden 22,933 photos, 2,381 members
- Dunedin Street Art 641 photos, 59 members
Samuel Mann doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Samuel Mann
- November 2007
- Dunedin, New Zealand
- I am: