I am Professor at Otago Polytechnic, in Dunedin, New Zealand. I effectively hold two positions - I teach in computing (software engineering, interaction design) and hold the institution’s Education for Sustainability Portfolio.
Here’s the bio:
A Professor with a background in both IT and land management, Sam has developed applied IT for regional government, crown research institutes and large organisations. He has taught computing since 1994, at Otago Polytechnic Information Technology since 1997, including five years as Head of Department. Sam has published over 150 conference and journal papers in the fields of augmented experiences; sustainability; and computer education.
Sam is responsible for the development of Education for Sustainability at Otago Polytechnic where we are committed to
every graduate thinking and acting as a sustainable practitioner
This initiative recently won the ITPNZ Award for Excellence in Education for a Global Role.
Sam is working in computing to develop strategies, practices and resources for computing to contribute positively to a sustainable future. Sam led the development of the draft statement on Education for Sustainability for the ACM, which followed up on the success of New Zealand NACCQ policy and agenda on computing education for sustainability.
Sam is convenor of Sustainability in Tertiary Education in New Zealand (STENZ), a cross sector group with the vision that
In 2014, all NZ tertiary graduates will understand the principles, values, and practices of sustainability.
In 2009 Sam is the Beeby Fellow for his work in Education for Sustainability. The Beeby fellowship is a joint initiative between New Zealand National Commission for UNESCO and the NZ Council of Education Research.
In 2009, Sam is one of four NZ delegates to the UNESCO World Conference on Education for Sustainable Development.
Sam teaches Software Engineering (using a hybrid Agile Development Framework) and manages the capstone industry projects. He and his students work on systems that harness the power of technology to help engage people with information: the goal is to make the computer invisible and to instead focus on promoting engaging experiences.
Sam’s current research, SimPa, works with Mäori communities to retell their stories in 3D game format (teaching Mäori kids programming in the process!).
Sam is on the national executive of the National Advisory Committee of Computing Qualifications, is editor of NZ’s premier computing conference, is chair of the Research and Support Working Group for polytechnic computing and is a Trustee of NZ Centres for Information Technology Research.
Photos of Samuel Mann (5)
- Photographers and Their Subjects 3,957 photos, 553 members
- Wind Turbines & Wind Farms 14,337 photos, 4,169 members
- Southland, New Zealand- 3,959 photos, 298 members
- n z . f l i c k r . m e e t u p s . [ n z f m ] 31,516 photos, 1,037 members
- D D D 7,630 photos, 151 members
- Stereophotography 59,017 photos, 2,559 members
- Earth Hour 2010 4,229 photos, 1,393 members
- Sunrises and Sunsets 366,227 photos, 27,761 members
- Shader Materials for 3D modeling 745 photos, 39 members
- CityScape Dunedin 465 photos, 22 members
- Dunedin 3,532 photos, 213 members
- Bad Signs 22,440 photos, 3,978 members
- Libertà di FOTOGRAFARE ™ 38,950 photos, 1,399 members
- mixeum : mixing people, art and museums 778 photos, 87 members
- dunedin.nz.flickr.meetups.[dnzfm] 3,018 photos, 138 members
- Jumping Project 51,453 photos, 33,902 members
- Tell a story in 5 frames (Visual story telling) 190 photos, 12,915 members
- Tell a Story with 5 Photos for Educators 5 photos, 240 members
- Diagrams 2,404 photos, 641 members
- Square Foot Gardening 3,582 photos, 438 members
- environmentally friendly 1,562 photos, 439 members
- Sustainability for all 120 photos, 52 members
- 10 Million Photos 8,474,169 photos, 84,582 members
- Reasons Of Our Humanity 44,653 photos, 2,370 members
- Pop Up Cards 846 photos, 242 members
- Paper Pop Ups 704 photos, 104 members
- Museum Labels 185 photos, 91 members
- Melbourne Museum 363 photos, 108 members
- Little Museums 10,152 photos, 137 members
- Locomotion, the National Railway Museum at Shildon 7,246 photos, 245 members
- Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History 2,187 photos, 437 members
- Interactive Media 372 photos, 73 members
- Museum of London 1,257 photos, 335 members
- Inside London Transport Museum 2,901 photos, 358 members
- Science Museum - London 7,444 photos, 719 members
- Avant-Garden 22,347 photos, 2,350 members
- Dunedin Street Art 274 photos, 65 members
Samuel Mann doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Samuel Mann
- November 2007
- Dunedin, New Zealand
- I am: