I am Professor at Otago Polytechnic, in Dunedin, New Zealand. I effectively hold two positions - I teach in computing (software engineering, interaction design) and hold the institution’s Education for Sustainability Portfolio.
Here’s the bio:
A Professor with a background in both IT and land management, Sam has developed applied IT for regional government, crown research institutes and large organisations. He has taught computing since 1994, at Otago Polytechnic Information Technology since 1997, including five years as Head of Department. Sam has published over 150 conference and journal papers in the fields of augmented experiences; sustainability; and computer education.
Sam is responsible for the development of Education for Sustainability at Otago Polytechnic where we are committed to
every graduate thinking and acting as a sustainable practitioner
This initiative recently won the ITPNZ Award for Excellence in Education for a Global Role.
Sam is working in computing to develop strategies, practices and resources for computing to contribute positively to a sustainable future. Sam led the development of the draft statement on Education for Sustainability for the ACM, which followed up on the success of New Zealand NACCQ policy and agenda on computing education for sustainability.
Sam is convenor of Sustainability in Tertiary Education in New Zealand (STENZ), a cross sector group with the vision that
In 2014, all NZ tertiary graduates will understand the principles, values, and practices of sustainability.
In 2009 Sam is the Beeby Fellow for his work in Education for Sustainability. The Beeby fellowship is a joint initiative between New Zealand National Commission for UNESCO and the NZ Council of Education Research.
In 2009, Sam is one of four NZ delegates to the UNESCO World Conference on Education for Sustainable Development.
Sam teaches Software Engineering (using a hybrid Agile Development Framework) and manages the capstone industry projects. He and his students work on systems that harness the power of technology to help engage people with information: the goal is to make the computer invisible and to instead focus on promoting engaging experiences.
Sam’s current research, SimPa, works with Mäori communities to retell their stories in 3D game format (teaching Mäori kids programming in the process!).
Sam is on the national executive of the National Advisory Committee of Computing Qualifications, is editor of NZ’s premier computing conference, is chair of the Research and Support Working Group for polytechnic computing and is a Trustee of NZ Centres for Information Technology Research.
Photos of Samuel Mann (5)
- Photographers and Their Subjects 3,664 photos, 491 members
- Wind Turbines & Wind Farms 13,754 photos, 4,033 members
- Southland, New Zealand- 3,899 photos, 281 members
- n z . f l i c k r . m e e t u p s . [ n z f m ] 30,668 photos, 1,031 members
- D D D 6,735 photos, 143 members
- Stereophotography 56,037 photos, 2,518 members
- Earth Hour 2010 4,167 photos, 1,393 members
- Sunrises and Sunsets 320,865 photos, 25,867 members
- Shader Materials for 3D modeling 745 photos, 39 members
- CityScape Dunedin 465 photos, 24 members
- Dunedin 3,281 photos, 209 members
- Bad Signs 22,294 photos, 3,992 members
- Libertà di FOTOGRAFARE ™ 37,814 photos, 1,393 members
- mixeum : mixing people, art and museums 725 photos, 85 members
- dunedin.nz.flickr.meetups.[dnzfm] 2,973 photos, 134 members
- Jumping Project 51,225 photos, 32,698 members
- Tell a story in 5 frames (Visual story telling) 190 photos, 12,834 members
- Tell a Story with 5 Photos for Educators 0 photos, 235 members
- Diagrams 2,489 photos, 626 members
- Square Foot Gardening 3,543 photos, 437 members
- environmentally friendly 1,524 photos, 436 members
- Sustainability for all 124 photos, 52 members
- 10 Million Photos 8,633,641 photos, 81,452 members
- Reasons Of Our Humanity 44,231 photos, 2,361 members
- Pop Up Cards 816 photos, 239 members
- Paper Pop Ups 688 photos, 102 members
- Museum Labels 199 photos, 91 members
- Melbourne Museum 368 photos, 105 members
- Little Museums 9,484 photos, 135 members
- Locomotion, the National Railway Museum at Shildon 6,364 photos, 225 members
- Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History 2,146 photos, 407 members
- Interactive Media 352 photos, 69 members
- Museum of London 1,038 photos, 314 members
- Inside London Transport Museum 2,892 photos, 353 members
- Science Museum - London 7,017 photos, 709 members
- Avant-Garden 22,458 photos, 2,366 members
- Dunedin Street Art 274 photos, 64 members
Samuel Mann doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Samuel Mann
- November 2007
- Dunedin, New Zealand
- I am: