I am Professor at Otago Polytechnic, in Dunedin, New Zealand. I effectively hold two positions - I teach in computing (software engineering, interaction design) and hold the institution’s Education for Sustainability Portfolio.
Here’s the bio:
A Professor with a background in both IT and land management, Sam has developed applied IT for regional government, crown research institutes and large organisations. He has taught computing since 1994, at Otago Polytechnic Information Technology since 1997, including five years as Head of Department. Sam has published over 150 conference and journal papers in the fields of augmented experiences; sustainability; and computer education.
Sam is responsible for the development of Education for Sustainability at Otago Polytechnic where we are committed to
every graduate thinking and acting as a sustainable practitioner
This initiative recently won the ITPNZ Award for Excellence in Education for a Global Role.
Sam is working in computing to develop strategies, practices and resources for computing to contribute positively to a sustainable future. Sam led the development of the draft statement on Education for Sustainability for the ACM, which followed up on the success of New Zealand NACCQ policy and agenda on computing education for sustainability.
Sam is convenor of Sustainability in Tertiary Education in New Zealand (STENZ), a cross sector group with the vision that
In 2014, all NZ tertiary graduates will understand the principles, values, and practices of sustainability.
In 2009 Sam is the Beeby Fellow for his work in Education for Sustainability. The Beeby fellowship is a joint initiative between New Zealand National Commission for UNESCO and the NZ Council of Education Research.
In 2009, Sam is one of four NZ delegates to the UNESCO World Conference on Education for Sustainable Development.
Sam teaches Software Engineering (using a hybrid Agile Development Framework) and manages the capstone industry projects. He and his students work on systems that harness the power of technology to help engage people with information: the goal is to make the computer invisible and to instead focus on promoting engaging experiences.
Sam’s current research, SimPa, works with Mäori communities to retell their stories in 3D game format (teaching Mäori kids programming in the process!).
Sam is on the national executive of the National Advisory Committee of Computing Qualifications, is editor of NZ’s premier computing conference, is chair of the Research and Support Working Group for polytechnic computing and is a Trustee of NZ Centres for Information Technology Research.
Photos of Samuel Mann (5)
- Photographers and Their Subjects 3,455 photos, 447 members
- Wind Turbines & Wind Farms 13,118 photos, 3,849 members
- Southland, New Zealand- 3,513 photos, 262 members
- n z . f l i c k r . m e e t u p s . [ n z f m ] 30,098 photos, 1,025 members
- D D D 6,520 photos, 137 members
- Stereophotography 52,982 photos, 2,465 members
- Earth Hour 2010 4,140 photos, 1,402 members
- Sunrises and Sunsets 278,914 photos, 23,772 members
- Shader Materials for 3D modeling 745 photos, 40 members
- CityScape Dunedin 459 photos, 21 members
- Dunedin 3,089 photos, 193 members
- Bad Signs 22,221 photos, 3,983 members
- Libertà di FOTOGRAFARE ™ 36,464 photos, 1,394 members
- mixeum : mixing people, art and museums 666 photos, 82 members
- dunedin.nz.flickr.meetups.[dnzfm] 2,931 photos, 131 members
- Jumping Project 50,808 photos, 30,712 members
- Tell a story in 5 frames (Visual story telling) 195 photos, 12,740 members
- Tell a Story with 5 Photos for Educators 0 photos, 233 members
- Diagrams 2,369 photos, 611 members
- Square Foot Gardening 3,525 photos, 436 members
- environmentally friendly 1,561 photos, 434 members
- Sustainability for all 122 photos, 51 members
- 10 Million Photos 8,621,401 photos, 77,222 members
- Reasons Of Our Humanity 43,931 photos, 2,355 members
- Pop Up Cards 803 photos, 225 members
- Paper Pop Ups 698 photos, 99 members
- Museum Labels 164 photos, 84 members
- Melbourne Museum 374 photos, 100 members
- Little Museums 7,969 photos, 133 members
- Locomotion, the National Railway Museum at Shildon 5,861 photos, 213 members
- Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History 2,035 photos, 383 members
- Interactive Media 307 photos, 67 members
- Museum of London 976 photos, 290 members
- Inside London Transport Museum 2,864 photos, 346 members
- Science Museum - London 7,017 photos, 695 members
- Avant-Garden 22,614 photos, 2,364 members
- Dunedin Street Art 268 photos, 62 members
Samuel Mann doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Samuel Mann
- November 2007
- Dunedin, New Zealand
- I am: