i want to write photos.
if I could tie off and shootup flickr I prob would. freebasing flickr = also good. ~me
"i only take photos i like and sometimes it works out." ~ me
"just cause you pay for the pro account on flickr doesnt make you one. " me
"photo taking is basically rad" re.pete
"is that a roll of 120 in your pocket, or..." .bill
"Imperfection is beauty and madness is genius. it is better to be absolutely ridiculous than it is to be absolutely boring." - Marilyn Monroe
"A photograph is a secret about a secret. The more it tells you the less you know". -Diane Arbus
"I never have taken a picture I've intended. They're always better or worse." ~ Diane Arbus
"Every time someone tells me how sharp my photos are, I assume that it isn't a very interesting photograph. If it were, they would have more to say." ~Author Unknown
What I do:
self indulgent crap
broken lost places
odd angles of ordinary things
things that make my heart hurt
shots while drinking
tell storys of dark souls
attempts at beautiful darkness
photos that are window to my soul
photos that play out like the music I love.
what i dont do:
self indulgent crap
generally anything that makes you say "awww"
generally anything you'd want to have on your living room wall.
Olympus e-volt e500
Canon AE-1 Program
Polaroid One Step
Argus 75 (now used only for TVF)
Ansco ShurShot Box
Nikon N60 (out on loan)
Argus c3 (in disrepair
Bosley 35mm (in disrepair)
Asahi Pentax Spotmatic (yes, in disrepair)
And check out the website, fall , hire me for contract shooting, dont be shy:
Photos of WatermelonSugar (11)
- Jakes_World Memorial Group 5 photos, 12 members
- Photography Projects 1,158 photos, 82 members
- Asheville Photographers 5,867 photos, 237 members
- Asheville 19,418 photos, 964 members
- Amsterdam Blog Associates - Urban Creatives 191,069 photos, 4,063 members
- Photo Talk Plus 1,699 photos, 316 members
- FlickrCentric 71 photos, 231 members
- Desert Decay 9,511 photos, 1,168 members
- Due Process 7,920 photos, 692 members
- Are you dreaming my memory ? 28,885 photos, 685 members
- DBOLRL: Almost 243 photos, 18 members
- CARTIFACTS 94,202 photos, 977 members
- Perception of the Magic Reality 1,748 photos, 1,274 members
- ccarbon ccopy 460 photos, 57 members
- Inexpensive Film Cameras 1,541 photos, 48 members
- We want Flickr with a DARK BACKGROUND!! (NOT PHOTO) 8 photos, 11,058 members
- RazorMonkey Magazine 65,657 photos, 2,818 members
- ~~~~~~~~ High Voltage ~~~~~~~~~~ 6,224 photos, 369 members
- Six Word Story 38,152 photos, 3,239 members
- Los Angeles 223,141 photos, 11,245 members
- mynameis 6 photos, 17 members
- Neglected: Photos we like that flickrites don't get 2,386 photos, 278 members
- I Hate Jesus, Puppies and Sunshine 3,249 photos, 213 members
- . TV . room . 5,553 photos, 1,026 members
- When I am not taking Pictures I am... 86 photos, 84 members
- Dream Country: Post 1/Comment 2 7,822 photos, 564 members
- Diptychs - two is better than one! 121,418 photos, 28,929 members
- We don't need no stinkin' scanner 479 photos, 85 members
- D I E T R O F R O N T 37,866 photos, 1,160 members
- Black and White San Diego 2,168 photos, 141 members
- ART GINGHAM PHOTOGRAPHY 1,265 photos, 533 members
- FAKE OLD PHOTOS 4,365 photos, 452 members
- Couchsurfing 2,266 photos, 610 members
- Abandoned San Diego Flickr Meetup 1,243 photos, 522 members
- Stalker 4,784 photos, 826 members
- California Desert 41,006 photos, 3,187 members
- FILM. 661,938 photos, 12,610 members
- The Dark Side of San Diego 768 photos, 66 members
- Scan Lines 192 photos, 29 members
- Phlower's Phifty-two 53 photos, 8 members
- altfotonet.org 13,957 photos, 224 members
- lovers on lovers 3,204 photos, 998 members
- Snapshots With Songs 1,521 photos, 254 members
- Old Hollywood 9,647 photos, 1,582 members
- PhlowWhackers 5,051 photos, 212 members
- simple as fuck 2,036 photos, 2,449 members
- FELT LIFE 342,536 photos, 8,209 members
- Faux Vintage 139,689 photos, 9,949 members
- Grain | Urban | Decay | Dark | Light | Portrait | Vintage 8,985 photos, 399 members
- I Love Your Photo. To Death. 162 photos, 60 members
"She won't snuggle with me, she always yells at me, she's a hussy, and thinks she's better than me.
Remind me again why I love this woman so much?"
May 20th, 2009
"Don't let the pretty face fool you, she's totally gangster."
April 18th, 2009
cookie poppets says:
"I originally wrote something about WmS' shots making me crave roadtrips and then I realised WmS' shots simply make me crave."
April 5th, 2009
"She shoots azucar and snorts shitty cameras. Result: amazing photos, all the time. When people say "I can't believe your shitty camera takes such cool photos," I smack them upside the head and remind them that it's not the camera taking the photo, fool. It's Sugah. That's why it's cool. Geez!"
April 1st, 2009
"I was about leave when WatermelonSugar pulled into the station. But I needed the cash and she needed the gas so I turned the "Open" sign back over and approached the dusty El Dorado. When you put the nozzle in you get a moment to discretely peek at the contents of a car's rear seats. I never passed up that opportunity in those days. And I'd never seen so many old cameras in one place, let alone piled high in the back seat of a Caddy. She cleared her throat, having had caught me peeking but having had given me a second to take it in. I tried to clean the windshield while the tank filled. She waved me away; something about liking it that way. The bell rang. I holstered the nozzle and turned to her window. She didn't wait for a total, just shoved a few rolls worth of 120 negatives into my hands and floored it.
The station's closed now and I work in town. But I go there and sit most nights now, just in case. Hotshoe."
December 24th, 2008
"WatermelonSugar at her best portraits Life in dead things and Death in the living.
In this borderline, I can sence both Alice and Sherlock Holmes peeking into the looking glass.
I had to order some of the stuff home, quality was superb."
November 30th, 2008
"Whether the subjects themselves are good, bad, ugly, beautiful, sacred, profane, or whatever—you simply cannot look at the images and not be captivated by them. This is the mark of a truly great artist."
November 2nd, 2008
Redfishingboat (Mick O) says:
"Don't be fooled by this so-called WatermelonSugar's photos. She is clearly a time-traveling magician pulling her images from other eras in history! I don't know where she hides her time machine, but it may be in the form of some crazy old car. I pledge to get to the bottom of this and expose her secrets. Stay tuned...."
October 5th, 2008
"I'm on drugs right now, so figured that was the best time to write a testimonial about Sugah. (Nyquil.. but hey I'm more sane than on tequila) This gal takes darkness.. and light.. and rolls them into one hell of an interesting look at life. It's always enlightening, and sometimes shocking (in a good way) to visit her stream. You ROCK GF!!"
December 9th, 2007
Taran Burns says:
"you are the hot internet friend ive always wanted to have up close in real life, just so i could be all shy and run away from."
December 7th, 2007
Mr SUBSONIX™ says:
"I want to have Watermelon Sugar's low res babies."
November 19th, 2007
"beautiful, uncompromising and original... take a look for yourself"
October 23rd, 2007
Robert J Mawson says:
"Done the butterfly and the flowers, working on the others now. Not sure where I can find a waterfall though."
September 7th, 2007
Harrison Brooks says:
"She is one of the best photographers that I have seen and she inspired me to continue to take lots of photos and Her photos are so great and wonderful. She is truly an artist."
July 23rd, 2007
K e v i n says:
"I'd kiss a decapitated pig head for WatermelonSugar. Dark is beautiful. She inspires me."
June 22nd, 2007
alex robinson says:
"You'll find no self-indulgent post-production here. No imitations, pastiches or homages. No vanity. Sugar has in bucket loads what flickr too often lacks - her own eye.
Like the best artists, she uses her medium to express herself and her observations on life and the human condition. And she does so with a mix of wry wit, poignant social commentary and addictive quirkiness......"
June 18th, 2007
"Azucar's photos contain imagery that's provocative, insightful, twisted and deliciously disturbing. When I view her photostream, I find myself craving more and more of her images and it drives me to think more about my work and to dig deeper when I'm exploring different subject matter. She can also drink me under the table, which I find arousing."
June 14th, 2007
"WatermelonSugar, a key player in the seedy underground world here at flckr, don't mess wiv her, she'll shoot you as quick as look at you."
May 19th, 2007
cycℓops (mjlearmouth) says:
"Watermelon Sugar (don’t let her sweet name fool yah) is very humorous in a carnivorous carnival sort of way. My grandmother always told me, "You’ll get more in life with sugar than with vinegar." Now Watermelon Sugar delivers a doubly sweet dose of herself in Flickrville, yet she has a seriously “sour” vision and she has the freakish gift of portraying the dark side of human existence. She has one good eye (the other one is closed) for the macabre of life and she’ll drag you in there with her. Warning; You may never checkout…"
April 19th, 2007
Desolate Places says:
"Finally someone that takes the fucked up photos that I dream of..."
April 13th, 2007
"WaterlemonSugar rules forever and ever !"
April 13th, 2007
"Her unique and disturbing images make my skin crawl; but in a good way."
March 16th, 2007
"Two things might happen if I met WatermelonSugar in a dark alley.
Well, maybe three.
First, she'd kick my ass. I know it. Because she'd be pissed that I stumbled upon the good shit she was shooting.
Second, after I snapped my jaw and nose back into place. We'd start focusing on the same dark corners. We seem to lurk there a lot.
Take a look at what she does.
Sometimes disturbing (no macros of flowers in a hothouse). This girl lives out in the open. Looking into places of her soul (and yours) that most don't even want to know exist. You best believe even angels fear to tread.
Yet, she's got a sweet side. She can turn a rusted old Ford into a beauty. So much so that I grab my throttle and chock it hard for the long rough ride ahead.
Oh yeah. Then there's that third thing that might happen in that dark alley..."
March 10th, 2007
"Do you know anyone else cool enough to listen to 2 Many DJ's and 16 Horsepower while freebasing flickr?
It's a rhetorical question; don't answer that."
February 7th, 2007
"You probably walk around with a bottle full of beautiful & morbid ooze while squeezing the living crap out of it. Stop, grin and shoot the disasterpiece (sic).
Fleshy limbless hero (Trece.)"
January 5th, 2007
that's MR. POPLABS says:
"ironic as it sounds I would LOVE to have her images on my walls."
December 28th, 2006
bite-sized trends says:
"Just take a look at her profile and you will get an idea of the world you are about to enter... Artistic, bold, honest...
WatermelonSugar is a photographer's photographer ; this is a unique vision into the world of an artist with style and passion.
Be sure to check out her website as well !"
December 12th, 2006
lucky show says:
"WatermelonSugar's Salton Sea series has to be one of the best examples of 'landscape' photography i have ever seen, regardless of on Flickr oo the world at large; in fact, to call it 'landscape' photography is a sin. WS's photographs capture light and time, and are pure Americana - evocative, steeped in menace, memory and atmosphere."
December 1st, 2006
ambiguous tray says:
"an excellent photographer and a fellow tapatio aficionado."
October 20th, 2006
- Carmen Ybarra
- February 2005
- i was born and raised in the 619
- Asheville, United States
- I am:
- I mold young minds and take pictures
- Photography Carabella