I'm a physically-challenged, retired scientist who loves Nature and music.
My physical disabilities are increasingly interfering with my ability to play my keyboards ( danling.com ), but fortunately I can still make landscape photographs, mostly using a tripod. When feeling good, I spend about 16-18 hours per day either in bed, on a massage table or on the floor or ground outdoors. My photography is done not very far from a vehicle, but some involves short hikes. The shoots are painful, so I usually spend days recovering, where I am lying down for 20-22 hours per day and not sleeping well due to pain in my back, hips, and leg. The early December, 2017 shoot resulted in a 6-week recovery and a painful holiday. Photography is more than a hobby to me. Though I can only do it sporadically, it brings meaning and fun to my life. It's a bit crazy, but it gives me great pleasure to create, and even more when those works are appreciated by others.
I use a full-frame Nikon D750 and shoot almost exclusively with a set of old manual prime (single focal length) lenses which I buy second-hand, then painstakingly clean and restore myself. I usually end up taking the lens apart so I can clean the elements and clean and re-grease the helicoids. These old lenses are cheaper, smaller and lighter than most newer ones, and they can produce high quality images. My collection of classic prime Nikkor lenses includes the 24mm f2.8, 28mm f2.8, 35mm f2.8, 50mm f1.8, 85mm f2, 105mm f2.5, 105mm f4 Macro, 135 f2.8, 200mm f4 and 300 f4.5. I edit my photos using Lightroom on a custom boom-arm computer rig I built myself, which allows me to lie flat on my back in bed. It can take as much as two days to edit a single panorama (even when using nodal slides there are often stitch artifacts, such as with lake surfaces).
Most sites (and now our ISPs) surveille everything we do with our technology, and Flickr is no exception. Though it's no where near as bad as Facebook or Google, it is getting worse with every "Privacy" policy update. I plan to leave this site as soon as my own website is completed at my domain danling.com, which will take a while. Once it's finished, it'll have a blog page where you can leave comments. My original intention was to enable people to comment without surveillance, but that is impossible since Congress has now allowed our very ISPs to surveille everything we do on the Internet with no oversight of any kind. It's difficult to see how this is consistent with American values of freedom and human rights. At least I will not be directly supporting sites with privacy-abusive policies. In any case, I hope my photographs and music will always be available at danling.com.
Thank you sincerely for visiting, it does mean a lot to me, especially if you are able to comment on my work. I am fortunate to still be able to spend time in Nature, and to create beautiful things. It keeps me going. I hope you appreciate the effort that I put into every photograph and every piece of music, and especially, I hope you enjoy it, and are inspired by our magnificent and delicate planet. I can't imagine a more beautiful rock to be hurtling through space on.
- Digital SLR Photography Magazine 719,088 photos, 15,745 members
- Nikkor 20mm f/3.5 UD/AI/AI-S 1,091 photos, 217 members
- Ai zoom Nikkor 80-200 f/4S & Ai Zoom Nikkor 80-200mm f/4.5 569 photos, 172 members
- Nikon 20mm f/1.8g 9,411 photos, 1,052 members
- nikkor 35mm f2.8 2,000 photos, 250 members
- Nikon 24mm f/2.8 AI-s / AI 1,390 photos, 264 members
- Nikkor 135mm AI and AI-S 2,364 photos, 637 members
- Nikkor 20mm f/3.5 & f/4.0 1,049 photos, 151 members
- Nikkor 105mm 2.5 9,271 photos, 2,005 members
- +AI Nikkor 50mm F1.8S Pancake Lens+ 1,323 photos, 144 members
- Nikon Ai-s 50 1.2 363 photos, 56 members
- Nikon f4/200 AI & AIS 552 photos, 182 members
- Nikon Nikkor 28mm f/2.8 Ai-s 6,608 photos, 734 members
- 85mm ƒ/2.0 Ai and Ais Nikkor Photo Group 1,828 photos, 412 members
- Nikon 180mm f2.8 2,427 photos, 468 members
- Adirondack Photography 4,758 photos, 258 members
- Adirondack Scenery 3,201 photos, 217 members
- AI-S lenses 15,489 photos, 612 members
- Nikkor 300mm f/4.5 AI 231 photos, 101 members
- Adirondack Waterfalls 42 photos, 8 members
- Adirondacks 15,086 photos, 1,298 members
- FLOWERS 1,329,349 photos, 106,201 members
- Winter Wonderland 308,259 photos, 24,735 members
- Landscape photography 2,221,571 photos, 91,062 members
- Landscape 1,062,508 photos, 101,789 members
nawebu doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Dan Ling
- January 2017
- Dan Ling