Stop press: www.johnblair.co.uk
I've been taking photos forever. I had a Kodak Instamatic when I was 12 which pretty much dates me: thanks Maw and Paw. I spent a large part of my student grant on a Zenit E.
Some of my older photos are scans from slides. These give fantastic colour saturation, but the definition is not so good, probably because my lenses at the time were as good as shooting through a bottle.
The newer ones are digital. This is the point where people usually list all their equipment, but I'm going to spare you all that boring stuff. You can find it yourself if you're desperate. I haven't got an 'Explore' set either. Again, you can find them if you look.
When I joined Flickr on September 12 2007 I thought all I had to do was take some of my best pics and stick them into sets and wait for all the praise to come flooding in.
Then I saw the standard of some of the work on Flickr and realised: must try harder! Apart from all the cat photos. I would ban those.
One year on. I now have my own website and a couple of New Year resolutions.
Groups - sorry but I don't join 'post1 - comment 1' type groups. Please don't post those huge GIFs either as they'll more than likely be removed.
Also I've cut down the number of groups to try and do the rest justice.
Contacts - I genuinely try to see what my contacts have been posting once every few days. For this reason, if I add somebody as a contact and they don't add me within a week or two, I just delete them again. Some of them are fabulous photographers but then they probably don't need their ego stroked anyway......
If you add me I will normally add you too. If you're a complete novice - even better, I'll give advice while pretending to know what I'm talking about!
Everybody loves a bit of feedback and encouragement. I usually try to visit the stream of anybody who leaves a comment- so please make a comment- it only takes a minute! But warn me if your stream is full of cats.
create your own visited countries map
Flickr member since 12 Sept 07
1000 Photostream views- 7 Nov 07 (55 days)
2000 stream views- 11 Dec 2007 (89 days)
5000 stream views- 17 March 2008 (187 days)
10000 stream views - 29 Sept 2008 (383 days)
20000 stream views - 16 Aug 2010
50000 photo views - 7 December 2008
I'm Munroist no 695 for people who know about such nonsense:-)
I've cut peats in both Lewis and Shetland - I bet you don't know anybody else who has......
Did I mention I hate cats?
"It's often said that life is strange, oh yes, but compared to what?" - Steve Forbert c1978.
"Life's not a rehearsal" - me, in the pram.
Photos of the44mantis (9)
- Midlothian Camera Club 2,247 photos, 28 members
- Uig & Bernera 501 photos, 47 members
- Cafe Elite 84,307 photos, 4,099 members
- shot for fun 15,535 photos, 1,647 members
- Scotland in Picture 228,791 photos, 5,529 members
- Travel Photography 2,908,472 photos, 106,069 members
- Portraits Shot's 38,111 photos, 2,601 members
- Walking In Beauty - Nature's Pathways 48,134 photos, 2,799 members
- Beautiful Capture 3,328,119 photos, 97,397 members
- East Lothian 10,753 photos, 552 members
- Midlothian, Scotland 2,350 photos, 139 members
- ¡En el momento exacto! 11,098 photos, 642 members
- Paisajes del mundo/World Landscapes 476,903 photos, 22,596 members
- Oor Ain Folk: The People Of Scotland 11,614 photos, 315 members
- UK Landscapes, Sea and Country. 242,750 photos, 7,271 members
- Edinburgh 116,065 photos, 5,087 members
- Outer Hebrides 13,517 photos, 769 members
- Scottish Panoramas 3,737 photos, 208 members
- panoramas 344,575 photos, 46,917 members
- Your "Postcard" Shot 557,300 photos, 16,688 members
- Scenics, not just landscapes! 200,524 photos, 10,188 members
- 1000+ Best Places On Earth 37,958 photos, 3,297 members
- Shetland 8,536 photos, 501 members
- Intelligent Travel - National Geographic Traveler's blog 117,790 photos, 4,100 members
- Scotland 456,205 photos, 16,149 members
- Scottish Landscapes 68,589 photos, 3,487 members
- Isle of Lewis & Harris 15,298 photos, 747 members
- Edinburgh Photographers 93,577 photos, 2,159 members
"John has a fantastic artistic flare with his photos and an eye for a real natural shot. Every single photo is one of my favourites and its unusual to see so much fabulous work all in one place by one person. Amazing. Keep up the good work and inspiring of others. I hope people can learn from what they see and realise photography is on your page at its best.
April 14th, 2008
"The 44mantis was one of my first contacts on flickr .Some of his earliest shots on flickr are from the Karwendel mountains ,which I know very well .Most of his work is about his homeland ,Scotland .
When you´ve a closer look to his sets you get a real good impression of Scotland and the people living in this beautiful place on earth ! ...So, check it out !
Keep up the great work !!
Thanks for your encouragement !"
February 6th, 2008
- John Blair
- September 2007
- Midlothian, Scotland
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- This is my website