In 2011, I’ve made a small series of Lego Star Wars shots with my mobile phone from the Star Wars advent calendar, and instantly fell in love with these little minifigs and bricks! Since then, I've been trying to re-imagine the characters and locations from the world of Star Wars world through my toys – often using cinematic and in-camera (practical effects) techniques.
I would like to express my gratitude to the team of Star Wars for creating such a fantastic worlds to be an true inspiration for my toy photography. In fact, if you didn’t know, they've been using miniature vehicles and terrains on many scenes. For example, a snowy scenes you’ll see on terrestrial planet Hoth, is using miniature Snowspeeders and a mix of microscopic glass bubbles and baking soda to mimic the snow! And all this happened long time ago in a galaxy far away...
If you're interested more about my work, you can find me on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram (@jooka5000). You are more than welcome to follow me on a platform you like. If you want to contact me personally, you can send me e-mail, too!
All images are copyrighted © jooka5000. Do not use them without permission.
Here is a collection of comments I've received over the years that I would love to share with you:
"Hello! I marveled at what you have created from Lego Star Wars! Only those who have a lot of talent and inspiration to think of something as fantastic as you do with quality and technique. Amazing! A hug tenderly for you. I wish you a great weekend."
"I've looked through some of your albums and I'm so impressed with how you bring lego figures to life using imaginative lighting and settings. I feel as if I'm looking at real people!"
"Jawdropping! Shots like this are all about timing and moderation and this is perfectly executed. And on a side note, i like this even more because of its originality. (Because frankly, ,it's like you don't get to see a lot of that these days). Also thank you so much for the add!" This comment was left on the photo titled as Arctic Blast Action.
"I have to admit that I'm more of a Trekkie (I like the Star Wars Movies, too, however), but this is great work here (your entire stream). It's fun to look at your photos, I suppose it must be as much (or even more) fun to create them."
Many years ago I saw the first Star Wars movie at a 12:00 matinee. At the time the ticket cost $1.50. It was an amazing movie in its day and was in the news. One woman interviewed had seen it 36 times, but I only sat through three showings. Although I did not realize it at the time, the influence of the groundbreaking 1956 science fiction film Forbidden Planet can be seen in Star Wars. You are very creative with your photography skills and your flickr page is unique!
"I'm a big fan. Even beyond the coolness of the of the figures, the staging and especially the light is great."
"So amazing! You give life to your figures like now one else."
"dude i have been seeing stuff like this lately, but your work blows them all away -- keep up the amazing work -- this is how joey L started his photo career you know ;)"
"this is one of the most inspiring Lego projects I've ever seen."
"I like your pictures a lot especially the ones taken in low light! It's not only the technique but also the setup, composition and creativity! Two thumbs up!!!"
"Truly captivating how you can create such a real-world feeling with such tiny pieces. Marvelous!"
"A really great fotostream, taking the viewer into a phantasy world, but stil feel just like in real. Fantastic creative fotography."
"Incredible imagination! You are as brilliant as the Star Wars director. Love the explanation and your genius interpretation of this. You make me wish I could go to Florida to play with all the Star Wars and superhero action sets and figures I buy for the grandkids. lol Super fun and awesome work!!!"
"Your works are unique! Each one of them was carefully choreographed, composed and very well executed! Browsing through is a delight!"
"Upeat värit ja käsinkosketeltavan tiheä tunnelma, kuten monissa muissakin kuvissasi! Seuraan. ^_^"
"I've stumbled across your images quiet by accident-what a find! You've managed to not only capture a sense of scale in your shots, but, a control of off camera lighting that is superb. Getting it all done in camera too is a feat and reminds me of the days of old of multiple exposurse and hoping the film did not move between each exposure. Well Done!"
"I've never been a follower of toy photography, or even liked it that much..........until I came across your work here! Your images are soooo imaginative, extremely atmospheric and all of extremely high quality!! Very inspiring indeed! (I think I'll stick to the present in this galaxy for now though 😀)"
- 6,000 Views Unlimited 6000 91,822 photos, 4,927 members
- THE BRICK TIME 9,368 photos, 1,350 members
- LEGO-MANIA 83,160 photos, 1,877 members
- Lego Gone Wild 12,229 photos, 291 members
- Everything LEGO 97,810 photos, 1,979 members
- Toys: Black & White Photography 3,334 photos, 330 members
- Legendary LEGO 518 photos, 53 members
- Lego Microscale 9,192 photos, 713 members
- Daft Punk 616 photos, 280 members
- *Cinematic Style * 1,101 photos, 148 members
- Bladerunner 11,137 photos, 1,136 members
- Canon EOS 5D Series 577,888 photos, 20,937 members
- Minimalism 256,900 photos, 24,351 members
- Graphic Design 241,814 photos, 25,677 members
- Flickritis: Where 78,000 people are still happily infected! 6,491,505 photos, 78,976 members
- Bokeh: Smooth & Silky 1,438,503 photos, 75,017 members
- Color and Colors 3,610,206 photos, 98,483 members
- ■□Group wi†h Ҽxperience■□ 3,667,335 photos, 506,582 members
- !Catchy Colors 4,403,288 photos, 180,020 members
- Fog and Rain (curated) 261,811 photos, 58,249 members
- *a cinematic world * 93,002 photos, 2,980 members
- Lego by Phil Korn 11,118 photos, 284 members
- Doctor Who 19,538 photos, 2,121 members
- Posters U Make 24,942 photos, 3,005 members
- Art and Artists. 428,312 photos, 19,823 members
- Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi (1983) 1,027 photos, 126 members
- LEGO 250+ Faves! 894 photos, 326 members
- Groove Bricks Flickr Group! 25,645 photos, 786 members
- LEGO 100+ Faves! 7,557 photos, 790 members
- Star Wars Toys Collection 32,785 photos, 2,770 members
- Typography and Lettering 182,224 photos, 29,443 members
- The Light Fantastic 2,137,401 photos, 69,549 members
- Lights and Shadows 1,094,560 photos, 35,733 members
- B&W 5,200,941 photos, 227,976 members
- The Cinematographer 135,731 photos, 6,804 members
- Cinema and Photography 143,807 photos, 6,775 members
- Dark ART 226,272 photos, 19,274 members
- AFOL 16+ 113,695 photos, 3,559 members
- Lego!Lego!Lego! 98,031 photos, 3,241 members
- Eurobricks 142,324 photos, 3,679 members
- Creative Photography 893,478 photos, 21,345 members
- Canon DSLR User Group 4,682,527 photos, 187,775 members
- Artistic Photography 4,727,353 photos, 131,896 members
- Toy Photographers 122,251 photos, 3,379 members
- Cinematic Shots 100,122 photos, 3,660 members
- Cinematic Photography 284,646 photos, 9,432 members
- Black and White 6,905,105 photos, 357,157 members
- Product Photography 82,335 photos, 10,183 members
- Cinematic Moments. 817,447 photos, 27,328 members
- Movement & Motion 657,899 photos, 53,457 members
Doede Boomsma says:
"What a great collection of well-thought photos with impressive captures and possibly also post-processing. A lust for the eye."
August 18th, 2017
Michael Paul Smith says:
" When I was young, before Legos were even dreamed about, I would set up my little plastic people and vehicles, along with cardboard boxes, imagining epic adventures. They were the most amazing stories that looked just like the movies.
Over 60 years later, I happened upon j5k's ART and like the flash of a blaster, it occurred to me he was actually creating what I had only imagined as a child.
After viewing every one of his photographs, I found myself giddy with delight accompanied by a profound sense of awe and respect.
Using only the most minimum of props, lighting and basic special effects, j5k has created scenes that rival the best cinematographers in the business.
His compositions bring to mind Ridley Scott, Coppola and Spielberg.
But wait, there's more. Not only is there drama, suspense, intrigue and tension in his images, there is Humor.
The vast ocean of the Internet stretches in every direction with the occasional island of something new appearing on the horizon.
j5k is one of those islands, but from what I can see, it has the real potential
of becoming a continent."
March 12th, 2015
Tyler Chung says:
"j5k is an absolutely hard-working and committed person. His shots are very well thought of and have the cinematic feeling to it."
July 28th, 2013
- September 2007
- I am: