A few years ago, I’ve made a small series of Lego Star Wars shots with my mobile phone from the Star Wars advent calendar, and instantly fell in love with these little minifigs and bricks! Since then, I've been trying to re-imagine the characters and locations from the world of Star Wars world through my toys – often using cinematic techniques and all in-camera, as I'm not a big fan of drawing.
I would like to express my gratitude to the team of Star Wars for creating such a fantastic worlds to be an true inspiration for my toy photography. In fact, if you didn’t know, they've been using miniature vehicles and terrains on many scenes. For example, a snowy scenes you’ll see on terrestrial planet Hoth, is using miniature Snowspeeders and a mix of microscopic glass bubbles and baking soda to mimic the snow! And all this happened long time ago in a galaxy far away...
If you're interested more about my work, you can find me on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram (@jooka5000). You are more than welcome to follow me on a platform you like.
All images are copyrighted © j5k. Do not use them without permission.
Here is a collection of comments I've received over the years that I would love to share with you:
"Hello! I marveled at what you have created from Lego Star Wars! Only those who have a lot of talent and inspiration to think of something as fantastic as you do with quality and technique. Amazing! A hug tenderly for you. I wish you a great weekend."
"I've looked through some of your albums and I'm so impressed with how you bring lego figures to life using imaginative lighting and settings. I feel as if I'm looking at real people!"
"Jawdropping! Shots like this are all about timing and moderation and this is perfectly executed. And on a side note, i like this even more because of its originality. (Because frankly, ,it's like you don't get to see a lot of that these days). Also thank you so much for the add!" This comment was left on the photo titled as Arctic Blast Action.
"I have to admit that I'm more of a Trekkie (I like the Star Wars Movies, too, however), but this is great work here (your entire stream). It's fun to look at your photos, I suppose it must be as much (or even more) fun to create them."
Many years ago I saw the first Star Wars movie at a 12:00 matinee. At the time the ticket cost $1.50. It was an amazing movie in its day and was in the news. One woman interviewed had seen it 36 times, but I only sat through three showings. Although I did not realize it at the time, the influence of the groundbreaking 1956 science fiction film Forbidden Planet can be seen in Star Wars. You are very creative with your photography skills and your flickr page is unique!
"I'm a big fan. Even beyond the coolness of the of the figures, the staging and especially the light is great."
"So amazing! You give life to your figures like now one else."
"dude i have been seeing stuff like this lately, but your work blows them all away -- keep up the amazing work -- this is how joey L started his photo career you know ;)"
"this is one of the most inspiring Lego projects I've ever seen."
"I like your pictures a lot especially the ones taken in low light! It's not only the technique but also the setup, composition and creativity! Two thumbs up!!!"
"Truly captivating how you can create such a real-world feeling with such tiny pieces. Marvelous!"
"A really great fotostream, taking the viewer into a phantasy world, but stil feel just like in real. Fantastic creative fotography."
"Your works are unique! Each one of them was carefully choreographed, composed and very well executed! Browsing through is a delight!"
"Upeat värit ja käsinkosketeltavan tiheä tunnelma, kuten monissa muissakin kuvissasi! Seuraan. ^_^"
- Lego Microscale 8,768 photos, 678 members
- Daft Punk 613 photos, 279 members
- *Cinematic Style * 638 photos, 79 members
- Cinematic Photographers 2,738 photos, 1,060 members
- Bladerunner 10,360 photos, 1,116 members
- LEGO IN SNOW 96 photos, 10 members
- Canon EOS 5D Series 552,374 photos, 20,631 members
- Minimalism 244,393 photos, 23,763 members
- Graphic Design 237,660 photos, 25,691 members
- Flickritis: Where 71,814 people are still happily infected! 5,804,221 photos, 75,019 members
- Bokeh: Smooth & Silky 1,383,026 photos, 73,381 members
- Closer and Closer Macro Photography: 2016 948,804 photos, 89,017 members
- Color and Colors 3,295,154 photos, 94,291 members
- ✧├Group wi†h Ҽxperience┤✧ 3,529,192 photos, 461,036 members
- !Catchy Colors 4,372,024 photos, 174,696 members
- Fog and Rain (curated) 262,046 photos, 58,829 members
- Flickr Addicts 9,295,059 photos, 123,044 members
- *a cinematic world * 88,627 photos, 2,854 members
- Lego by Phil Korn 8,564 photos, 251 members
- Doctor Who 20,038 photos, 2,118 members
- Posters U Make 24,531 photos, 2,988 members
- Art and Artists. 404,903 photos, 19,536 members
- The Return of the Jedi (1983) 855 photos, 105 members
- LEGO 250+ Faves! 689 photos, 256 members
- Groove Bricks Flickr Group! 22,424 photos, 732 members
- LEGO 100+ Faves! 6,135 photos, 652 members
- Star Wars Toys Collection 30,230 photos, 2,650 members
- Typography and Lettering 180,523 photos, 29,191 members
- The Light Fantastic 1,895,678 photos, 66,056 members
- Lights and Shadows 1,010,801 photos, 34,546 members
- Light Junkies 111,493 photos, 18,751 members
- B&W 5,063,648 photos, 223,423 members
- The Cinematographer 125,476 photos, 6,608 members
- Cinema and Photography 127,941 photos, 6,419 members
- Action Photography 206,030 photos, 14,248 members
- Dark ART 231,534 photos, 19,303 members
- AFOL 16+ 98,898 photos, 3,218 members
- Lego!Lego!Lego! 88,138 photos, 2,983 members
- Eurobricks 125,856 photos, 3,353 members
- Creative Photography 813,499 photos, 20,352 members
- Canon DSLR User Group 4,502,267 photos, 184,271 members
- Artistic Photography 4,278,426 photos, 125,149 members
- Toy Photographers 106,790 photos, 3,108 members
- Cinematic Shots 90,455 photos, 3,474 members
- Cinematic Photography 264,316 photos, 9,188 members
- Black and White 6,862,198 photos, 352,259 members
- Product Photography 76,746 photos, 10,025 members
- Cinematic Moments. 768,158 photos, 26,077 members
- Movement & Motion 609,717 photos, 52,693 members
- Macro Photography 621,739 photos, 53,667 members
Michael Paul Smith says:
" When I was young, before Legos were even dreamed about, I would set up my little plastic people and vehicles, along with cardboard boxes, imagining epic adventures. They were the most amazing stories that looked just like the movies.
Over 60 years later, I happened upon j5k's ART and like the flash of a blaster, it occurred to me he was actually creating what I had only imagined as a child.
After viewing every one of his photographs, I found myself giddy with delight accompanied by a profound sense of awe and respect.
Using only the most minimum of props, lighting and basic special effects, j5k has created scenes that rival the best cinematographers in the business.
His compositions bring to mind Ridley Scott, Coppola and Spielberg.
But wait, there's more. Not only is there drama, suspense, intrigue and tension in his images, there is Humor.
The vast ocean of the Internet stretches in every direction with the occasional island of something new appearing on the horizon.
j5k is one of those islands, but from what I can see, it has the real potential
of becoming a continent."
March 12th, 2015
Tyler Chung says:
"j5k is an absolutely hard-working and committed person. His shots are very well thought of and have the cinematic feeling to it."
July 28th, 2013
- September 2007
- I am:
- jooka5000 on Facebook