Notley Hawkins is a Columbia Missouri photographer who specializes in weddings, family, portraits, architecture, editorial, event and fine-art photography. Also serving Jefferson City, Boonville, Fulton, Mexico, Kansas City and St. Louis Missouri.
Notley Hawkins has lived in Missouri his whole life. Born and raised in Columbia Missouri he studied painting and drawing at Columbia College with Sid Larson, a student of Thomas Hart Benton. He attended the University of Missouri in Columbia for his Masters degree where he worked with noted artist and cartoonist Frank Stack (aka Foolbert Sturgeon). Notley did additional studies at the prestigious Skowhegan School in Maine. He has also held residencies at the Vermont Studio Center and the Ucross Foundation. His work is in The State Historical Society of Missouri's collection and The Ashby-Hodge Gallery of American Art's collection as well as many private collections. Although Notley never took a course in photography, he is firmly entrenched in the photographic arts now. After growing disinterested in painting, he took up photography in 2005 and is now an avid shooter. He takes pictures of all things Missouri including people, places, events and landscapes. Mr. Hawkins just completed his fourth solo photography exhibition at the Perlow-Stevens Gallery in downtown Columbia Missouri.
1987-Bachelor of Fine Arts
1990-Master of Fine Arts
University of Missouri School of Fine Arts
1988-Chautauqua School of Fine Arts
Chautauqua, New York
1989-Skowhegan School of Painting and Sculpture
Skowhegan, Maine. Office: New York City
1990-Vermont Studio School
1987 “Painting” solo exhibition, Columbia College
1988 “Boone County Exhibition” group exhibition, Boone County Bank, Columbia Missouri, First Place in Painting
1988 MFA candidates group exhibition, Fine Arts Gallery, University of Missouri-Columbia
1989 MFA candidates group exhibition, Fine Arts Gallery, University of Missouri-Columbia
1989 MFA candidates group exhibition, University of Maine-Augusta
1989 “Twenty-one Painters” group exhibition, Skowhegan Maine
1990 MFA candidates group exhibition, George Caleb Bingham, Gallery University of Missouri-Columbia
1990 “Prelude: Nocturnes” solo exhibit, Brady Gallery, Columbia Missouri
1990 Thesis exhibition solo exhibition, George Caleb Bingham Gallery, University of Missouri-Columbia
1990 “Hoyt National Show” group exhibition, Hoyt Institute of Fine Arts, New Castle Pennsylvania
1990 “Klamath Juried Open 1990” group exhibition, Cogley Art Center, Klamath Falls Oregon
1990 “Art Wyoming ’90" group exhibition, West Wind Gallery, Casper Wyoming
1991 “Group Exhibition,” Leedy-Voulkos Art Center, Kansas City Missouri
1992 “Artists Interpreting Nature,” group exhibition, William Woods College, Fulton Missouri
1992 "Paintings," solo exhibition, Nebo Gallery, Rocheport Missouri
1994 "Collection Display," group exhibition, State Historical Society of Missouri, Columbia Missouri
1994 "The First Ten Years: Selections from the Permanent Collection," group exhibition, Big Red Gallery, The Ucross Foundation, Clearmont Wyoming
1996 "Missouri River Valley Painters," group exhibition, Mythmaker Gallery, Columbia Missouri
2000 "Where the Rivers Run: The Missouri Landscape," group exhibition, Legacy Art & BookWorks, Inc., Columbia Missouri
2006 "Contemporary Works from the Collection," group exhibition, State Historical Society of Missouri, Columbia Missouri.
2007 "Life and Light in Missouri: Photos by Notley Hawkins," solo exhibition, State Historical Society of Missouri, Columbia Missouri.
2008 "Catching Light in Missouri: Photographys by Notley Hawkins," solo exhibition, The Ashby-Hodge Gallery of American Art, Fayette Missouri.
2010 "Winter Exhibit," solo exhibition, The Perlow-Stevens Gallery, Columbia Missouri.
2011 "Fall Exhibit," solo exhibition, The Perlow-Stevens Gallery, Columbia Missouri.
2012 "The Art of Frank Stack & Notley Hawkins," group exhibition, The Mildred Cox Gallery, William Woods University, Fulton Missouri.
Country Living Magazine
South Dakota Medicine
Kansas City Star
Inside Columbia Magazine
Callaway County: A Photographic Journal
Missouri: Gateway to the West
Digital Photography for Dummies
You can purchase original prints at Imagekind.
- Cars & Motorcycles Photography 12,059 photos, 386 members
- Fotografía de cualquier tipo. 11,851 photos, 3,591 members
- My sacred things 154 photos, 272 members
- GREAT PANOS 24,372 photos, 3,122 members
- Pole Aerial Photography - PAP 3,046 photos, 831 members
- Fotografia e Arte com Vegetais 1,905 photos, 418 members
- Stunning travel photos from around the World 11,629 photos, 554 members
- Fine Art Photographs 13,975 photos, 915 members
- Nodal Ninja 5,075 photos, 394 members
- The Panorama Project 12 photos, 12 members
- Apple 55,792 photos, 12,502 members
- iPhoto Group 15,841 photos, 817 members
- Flickr Photoshop Professional 23 photos, 168 members
- Rolla Missouri and surround region 109 photos, 24 members
- dubstep 1,619 photos, 238 members
- Nightlife 2,573 photos, 221 members
- Distributori di benzina 404 photos, 56 members
- NIGHTLIFE INTERNATIONAL 906 photos, 86 members
- World Nightlife 4,697 photos, 182 members
- 夜生活 Nightlife 1,275 photos, 158 members
- SPECIAL NIGHTLIFE PICS ONLY 1,027 photos, 76 members
- artland 766,238 photos, 35,716 members
- Clubbing pics 58 photos, 23 members
- Live show Concert 4,097 photos, 68 members
- Nightlife Photography 4,213 photos, 477 members
- Electronic Music 33,080 photos, 3,086 members
- !Night Life 49,851 photos, 3,671 members
- Party -> Partyphotos | Partyfotos 51,668 photos, 4,029 members
- .:: DJ Music ::. 36,834 photos, 4,232 members
- Dubstep Events 823 photos, 184 members
- RED - Level No. 1 (Post 1, Award 4) 370,414 photos, 12,845 members
- 1001 Nights / Magic City (P1-A9) ☆☆ Invited Photos ONLY 74,559 photos, 2,961 members
- Blink Again (no children) P1/A3 - Challenge Cities and Towns 365,052 photos, 16,745 members
- The Rust Bucket 78,262 photos, 7,532 members
- RUSTY and CRUSTY 375,164 photos, 28,340 members
- Night Club Photography... DJ's, GoGo's, dancing and more 8,073 photos, 876 members
- + Nightlife ( 夜间活动 ) 18,737 photos, 974 members
- Geotagged: Missouri 6,499 photos, 102 members
- LIGHT PAINTING 55,207 photos, 5,301 members
- Light Painting - The Real Deal 84,546 photos, 12,937 members
- as beautiful as you want 800,996 photos, 12,489 members
- amazing shoots 11,807 photos, 414 members
- Route 66 At Night 668 photos, 99 members
- Route 66 Missouri 663 photos, 74 members
- US Route 66 (The Mother Road) 18,991 photos, 1,149 members
- Route 66 40,402 photos, 2,906 members
- Hipstamatic 315,280 photos, 16,755 members
- The Big Hipstamatic Show 19,649 photos, 700 members
- Level 1-Photography for Recreation-No Human Photo-P1/A5 378,018 photos, 15,449 members
- ! Quality Pixels ! ~ Post 1 - Award 2 ~ 171,246 photos, 7,014 members
tinyRebel :) says:
"your photos are freaking stellar! thanks for the add! :)"
March 6th, 2011
"I'm a huge fan of wide-angle shots - but it's not easy making photographs with wide-angle lenses. Notley makes it look easy - but look closely - he controls the frame and shows us what he wants us to see in the frame. It takes real skill to do what Notley does -- I look forward to each new image from him -- I especially love the low-angle filling station shots - they are simply magical."
April 18th, 2009
"You have an amazing series of photos, thanks for sharing them!"
August 8th, 2008
Mistress Pussycat says:
"Thank You So Much For The Add... Looking Forward To Sharing A NIce Friendship With You... Live Life...Love Life...Always Be YOU!!!
August 1st, 2008
"Notley is one of my favorite photographers. This is not just because he does spectacular work, but also that he does the spectacular work in my own mid-Missouri hometown. When I first stumbled across his images on the Flickr map, I was amazed and inspired to do better photography on my own, and I've really been influenced by his style: moody skies, reflections, ultra-wide focal lengths combined with low-angle shooting, and some of the best-produced HDRs I have seen.
I am particularly taken with his landscapes, but I also admire his abilities with rural decay, carnivals, news events, gas stations. He doesn't just shoot as a tourist; they're personal. It reflects the beauty of an area that is often overlooked, even by its residents. Keep it up, my friend!"
July 18th, 2008
"Everytime I think that Notley has produced his best. I come back to his photostream and there is something even better. He is an amazing photographer and what I enjoy most about his photographs is he really captures the flavor of the area."
June 28th, 2008
Aaron of NEPA says:
"Notley is the "King" of low-angle and reflection shots!"
March 27th, 2008
"Posee unas fotos realmente impresionantes, es uno de los mejores fotógrafos que he visto en Flickr. Saludos y mucha suerte."
February 27th, 2008
"I love visiting Notley's Flickr stream. He has some of the most amazing shots on here. He makes the sky and clouds look AMAZING!"
December 11th, 2007
KC Turner says:
"Honestly, Notley's photography have inspired me to work harder on my photos. I have been more interested in getting better and learning as much as I can about photography after being introduced and exposed to his work (thank you flickr).
You pics of my home state are remarkable, and represent the midwest lifestyle well!
Thank you for your work!
September 19th, 2007
Martin Beek says:
"10th Avenue, really sums up the feel of America for me as an Englishman. I have travelled in the USA and these images brought memories flooding back, the photos are well light and composed and have a majesty about them. These are images of quality that really speak in a profound way. I enjoy looking at them time and again."
August 2nd, 2007
Andy Rampage says:
You just Plain Old 'flippin' RULE!!"
AND DAMMED 'PROUD' To CALL YA: " friend"!"
May 4th, 2007
The next time I'm feeling bored with the smallish city I live in, I'll come back here for some inspiration."
March 6th, 2007
Photo Inge says:
"I am taken aback by 10thAvenue's portfolio. There doesn't seem to be any weak images, and instead everything he does is well thought through and simply beautiful. I am especially impressed by the thematic stuff he has, such as "gas stations". Check it out!"
January 1st, 2007
"10th Avenue is an absolutely awesome photographic artist whose work is simply inspirational. I enjoy the subjects he covers whether it be buildings, people, events, or family. There are some magical different angles, some great panoramics and more.
He has a friendly attitude to those visiting his photostream. I come away feeling I have learnt something and seen through an artists eyes. Keep it up!"
December 18th, 2006
"10thAvenue is one of the best low angle shooters in the game. He manages to find some of the most interesting subjects such as a piece of rope or a light bulb and turns it into a piece of remarkable photographic art that I never had thought of before looking at his photostream. Take a good close look at his Bokeh and cutout photography along with his "interesting" set. You won't be disappointed!!!!"
October 13th, 2006
"Probably one of my most favourited photographers on Flickr. I'm convinced he's only about 10cm tall because much of his work seems to be taken in the undergrowth. Don't be fooled by the picture on his profile, the dog is only 3 centimetres tall.
A wonderful use of contrast, colour, dof and just sheer imagination make 10th Avenue one of the best photographers on Flickr."
June 30th, 2006
"10thAvenue has made me see the world in a different way. He has been my primary inspiration on FLICKR. I am a better photographer because of him and I enjoy checking his sets often to see what new subjects, lighting, focus, and perspective he is using. I see him going far in the world of photography and tip my hat to him. What an amazing photographer!"
June 7th, 2006
"i absolutely love your work. i could spend days browsing your photos - i think i probably will!"
March 29th, 2006
jon madison says:
"as i go through 10th avenue's stream, i realize that i must be being subconsciously influenced by his style.
at the very *least*, this stream is 90% above par wonderful...
its as if i've stepped into a dream and am wandering around.
please keep sharing."
February 18th, 2006
"By far, one of the best photographers on Flickr. I get lost in his photos, and I strongly recommend his Fairs set for some amazing images!"
January 10th, 2006
Rusty O.P. says:
"I have known 10thAve for years now. We met through the old Hotline community years before Flickr because we both had similar interests in our youth (punk rock culture). Photography is just one of his many talents. he is very knowledgeable in many areas and help me in so many ways in the past. we have never met in person but I can say he is a good friend of mine. Thanks for everything 10thAve"
November 28th, 2005
- February 2005
- I am:
- Male and Single
- Notley Hawkins Photography