I've started a new blog for nature and wildlife photography tips, techniques, gear, etc.
I've blogged a few photos here, mostly mine, some of the highlights... nikographer.blogspot.com/ - that's my older blog and I rarely update it these days. Sometimes I might post zoo photos there, since I rarely (if ever) post captive zoo stuff to my 'nature and wildilfe' blog...
Notice: All Photos Copyright Nikographer [Jon]. Photos may not be re-used, re-published (web, print, etc) without prior permission. All rights retained by Nikographer [Jon]. The only permited way to "use" my photos other than via my flickr stream (viewing) is via the "blogging" feature where the image remains on flickr. Downloading the photos and republishing them is not allowed.
I have a handful of images that can be licensed via Getty Images. I'm adding more images as time goes by, so check back for new stuff. If you would like to license an image that's not there, please flickr-email me, and I will try to get it posted on Getty Images so you license it via them.
Interesting Sites (the first two for the poscasts):
This Week In Photography
The Candid Frame
Strobist - Off Camera Lighting
March 2010: Now that I've traveled some, seen and shot a lot of wildlife, I'm striving for more. More in that I want to capture more unique views, better light, more interesting animal behaviors. To do this I am trying new techniques like using a blind, or at very slow shutter speeds to capture (some) blur/movement and I'm venturing to new locations (mostly in the mid-atlantic region of the US). I think it can become all to easy to shoot from a comfort zone and miss out of real new unique chances. I don't want to go through all the effort of travel and shooting to then do it half way (or get half way results).
Yay! I'm the 308th best most awesome person ever on flickr.com!!! Woohoo... Lol, just kidding.. (I'm way closer to #1...)
- MACRO MONDAYS 163,699 photos, 13,911 members
- Huntley Meadows Park 3,537 photos, 148 members
- NEW YORK ! 29,861 photos, 1,756 members
- I ♡ New York 18,277 photos, 2,465 members
- Long Beach NY 1,562 photos, 95 members
- Women's March on Washington 2017 424 photos, 16 members
- Global Photojournalism; Protest, Culture, and News 624,012 photos, 45,853 members
- Women's March 2017 #womensmarch 2,261 photos, 107 members
- Birds of the Choptank River/Oakley Street 429 photos, 35 members
- Nikon -- D810 157,263 photos, 4,205 members
- ThePhoblographer 142,019 photos, 3,680 members
- Flickr Video Favorites 316 photos, 191 members
- DC Birds 4,582 photos, 83 members
- Maryland Birders 21,617 photos, 419 members
- Brevard Zoo 983 photos, 75 members
- Big Lens Fast Shutter 8,661 photos, 1,379 members
- Nikon D4 DSLR 39,952 photos, 1,170 members
- NJ - CAPE MAY COUNTY 6,922 photos, 362 members
- in loving memory of imapix 133 photos, 145 members
- Welcome To Oz 13,412 photos, 886 members
- Cape May Wildlife 2,887 photos, 147 members
- Smithsonian Through Your Lens 3,285 photos, 384 members
- NIKKOR 200-400 mm 1:4 AF-S VR IF-ED G 17,244 photos, 548 members
- Secrets Of Explore 2,516 photos, 3,707 members
- Country & Garden Wildlife 29,593 photos, 453 members
- Nature's Best Photography Flickr Group 5,326 photos, 3,747 members
- Secret Life of Birds 111,981 photos, 5,942 members
- Columbia, Maryland and Howard County 3,340 photos, 81 members
- Birdshare 666,511 photos, 9,326 members
- Your Best Shot 2009 14,724 photos, 18,045 members
- The Eastern Shore of Maryland & Virginia 9,903 photos, 685 members
- Excellence In Avian Photography (EIAP) -- INVITED IMAGES ONLY !! 94,279 photos, 9,208 members
- Photos from GCC Members 1,135 photos, 34 members
- National Wildlife Magazine Photo Group 386,430 photos, 8,176 members
- The Candid Frame 134,685 photos, 3,428 members
- Hawk Mountain 276 photos, 80 members
- Birds , Birds Birds 1,454,965 photos, 36,183 members
- Potomacfest 45 photos, 8 members
- Getty Images on Flickr 0 photos, 16,739 members
- Nikon Cafe 130,971 photos, 1,519 members
- Night Photowalk DC 223 photos, 46 members
- Friends of the National Zoo 5,578 photos, 354 members
- Snow Geese 1,080 photos, 88 members
- Foxes 24,940 photos, 3,877 members
- DCist Photos 178,037 photos, 4,556 members
- Birds♥ Wildlife♥ & Sunsets♥ 74,499 photos, 990 members
- Assateague Island 2,959 photos, 261 members
- Chincoteague and Assateague 5,458 photos, 457 members
- Great Falls National Park - Maryland and Virginia 3,216 photos, 333 members
- Raptor Conservancy of Virginia 212 photos, 30 members
"Nikographer's photographer inspired me to start visiting the zoo often to photograph the tiger and of course pandas. He is an inspiration to many member and also kind heart. My favorite photo of his is the one of the three brother tigers running in the water..just breathlessly beautiful!"
June 24th, 2009
resolute shirt says:
"what can I say about Jon that has not already been said???... One amazing wildlife photographer. His hard work, dedication, and attention to detail are evident throughout his photostream. Just when you think it can't get any better Jon continues to top himself. Inspirational. Keep up the great work."
May 18th, 2009
""How I just love Jons style. From stunningly passionate to mystifying landscapes... jod stream reveals his deep love for photography along with great talent and skill to match. I hope everyone enjoys♥"
February 11th, 2009
Angel Cher ♥ says:
"Nikographer Jon is amazing with his technical skills, I consider him a wealth of knowledge! He is a serious photographer with amazing capabilities for presentation! His photography exceeds the standards in the ability to captivate you.
I have been to Conowingo Dam where he shoots the Eagle and Bombay Hook where he shoots the Red Fox and I can tell you if you don’t know... Jon is a Fox on the prowl when it comes to getting sharp and vivid photos!! He has provided in his photo stream a diversified talent that is hard to measure up to. Jon can certainly awe you with his abilities... It was awesome to meet the man behind such a great talent and I believe he is going places with his skills that we will all read about one day!
His passion is to be a Pro... hello Jon while you are busy getting better and wanting to be, You Became!"
August 7th, 2008
"Jon, what can I say I am a fan of your work. I met Jon at the FONZ photoclub. Jon is an awesome photographer and doesn't mind sharing his knowledge with others.
Love his work, and its an inspiration for me to get better"
April 14th, 2008
"Jon's photos are just amazing. Every week he seems to get two or three photos which, if I had taken, would be the best I got that year. He makes it look so easy, but if you read the descriptions you'll see he works to gather the photos - he drives somewhere cool every weekend, and then he'll climb in a small boat to get an osprey shot or brave 10 degree weather at the zoo to get the right shot.
There are a lot of superb photos on Flickr but Jon's are consistently superb, at a professional level. I always look forward to his new posts. He makes me want to try harder. Thanks for sharing!"
January 27th, 2008
"I first found Jon's postings on Flickr while searching Conowingo for Eagles. I was later fortunate to meet him at Blackwater NWR. I often see him out at the same spots I go to.
I spent more than 20 years in the Air Force as a photo maintenance technician and have known many professional photographers. I would put Jon's work up against them all.
Jon never ceases to amaze me by the shots he gets. Even when others are shooting the same subject at the same time, Jon just seams to always get that one shot that out does all others.
I am happy to have Jon as an aquaintance and a friend.
December 17th, 2007
"Jon has been a Flckr friend for quite some time now. His wildlife, animal and zoo photography are AWEMAZING! I'm always moved by the detail, lighting, color and composition of his images. A true craftsman and artist.
About 14 months ago or so Jon started leaving comments on my photos such as, "Nice, but what about -EV". Novice that I am, I didn't have a clue as to what he was talking about (and was a bit too embarrassed to admit it). Finally I asked him and he took his time to explain it in detail. I'm a slow learner, but Jon was patient and I soon began to get it. To me this is an example of a true friend. Rather than a lot of flattery Jon gave me an honest, constructive critique of my photos and a chance to become a better photographer. For that, I'm eternally grateful and in this month of Thanksgiving I'd like to give a big 'Thanks!' to Jon!"
November 8th, 2007
Maria Pfrommer says:
"Nikographer's photostream and helpful advice is much appreciated. Thanks for sharing your photography. Beautiful work."
September 16th, 2007
Doug Lloyd says:
"I have been watching Jons photo stream for the best part of a year and continue to enjoy his near daily posts. There aren’t many on Flickr that work harder than Jon does in his craft. Keep them coming. Please!!!!!!!!
March 15th, 2007
"Jon has the most beautiful animal shots on Flickr. I find myself in awe, shot after shot. Thank you Jon for your wonderful work!"
October 6th, 2006
"Jon really knows how to show nature!! I think he is one of my favorite photographers who his photo's actually scream out to me-- COME HAVE A LOOK!! -- It is always a joy to see what he has captured next! The colors he brings out in his pictures are absolutely stunning and beautiful! I cannot wait to see what he brings to the table next!! Great work!!"
September 14th, 2006
"Jon's photos are a joy to see. He brings wildlife up close and into the room(!). The images are beautifully composed, full of detail and each tells its own story. I just revel in looking at them and thank him profusely for sharing them."
September 3rd, 2006
ad hoc view says:
"Great Guy Great Photos. I can say the worlds worth of words but i can't seem to find one hat matches Jon's type of unique Photography."
July 31st, 2006
"Jon's unique talent and skills with the camera speak for themselves. He is a man with a capable vision and through his lens we see a fantastic world of nature and events of the highest quality. Stop on by, you won't be disappointed."
May 26th, 2006
Bill Adams says:
"Jon is the best animal nature photographer I have ever come across.
If National Geographic were nothing more than just a magazine with pictures, I'd cancel the subscription and simply continue keeping a constant eye on Jon's ever-growing and always-fascinating photostream.
March 31st, 2006
"I originally commented on one of Nikographer_Jons great sets, but I really should have put my comment here because they apply to all his sets. Nikongrapher-Jon is in my opinion without doubt the best animal photographer I have seen on Flickr.
His shots are always crisp, with great colours and lots going on. They are shot in a way that you would hardly know that they are taken at a zoo.
Thank you for sharing the reward to your patience watching these creatures for hours at a time, your shots have rekindled my interest in zoo photography and I will be making a trip over the holidays and I will "try" to emulate the quality of your photos.
Oh and he's a very pleasant guy too."
December 13th, 2005
"I just wanted to tell you how much I appreciate you sharing your photos. They are gorgeous. They are crystal clear. Your photos show these incredible animals (Tigers) in their best modes - action, playful, loving, relaxed and down right beautiful. Your pictures have inspired me to want to take classes, buy a better camera and take better pictures, instead of just sticking with status quo. So, thanks for sharing and keep 'em coming!"
November 9th, 2005
- August 2005
- United States
- Nature and Wildlife Photography