Software Engineer - Product
We're hiring back-end software developers to work on core Flickr features and APIs as part of our San Francisco-based engineering team. Developers in this role work on new features, extending and maintaining Flickr's capabilities, and improving scalability and performance as we grow.
We have a track record of innovation to build on and a strong desire to radically improve Flickr, both for new users and casual visitors as well as the power users who form the core of the community. If you've ever wanted to a chance to have a big impact (Flickr has 80+ million users and 7+ billion photos), this is it.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Leading development of new features and APIs, working closely with front-end and operations engineers.
- Developing scalable methods to store and retrieve large amounts of UGC and app metadata
- Improving the site and the Flickr API
- Developing for Apache, MySQL, Redis and Memcache
- Prototyping with new technologies to evaluate them for inclusion in our stack
- Improving site performance, availability, resource usage
- Contributing to the continual improvement of our development process
- Writing an occasional post for the code.flickr blog
Here's what we're looking for:
- Strong computer science fundamentals: data structures, algorithms, programming languages, distributed systems and information retrieval.
- A really good programmer. You should know at least one language very well and have experience in several.
- Experience with web development, distributed systems and parallel processing
- Experience with optimizing systems for information retrieval
- Fluency with the LAMP stack (or similar), and browser technologies
- Experience investigating and improving performance and reliability issues
- A constant desire to improve, learn more, and take things higher
- Academic background in engineering, computer science, math, physics or other science.
- Prior work with, high volume, multi-colo UGC sites
- Prior experience developing user-generated content features
- Experience with data driven feature development (like A/B testing)
- Experience with node.js, Redis, and memcache
- Experience with Flickr and online photo sharing (send us a link to your photostream!)
This is a regular/full time position, based in our San Francisco office.