Help / The Help Forum

This thread has been closed by Flickr Staff.

Hot Topics

[Official thread] New commercial use section of Flickr Community Guidelines
Latest: 5 hours ago
[Official Thread] Changes to Flickr’s photo books and wall art
Latest: 6 hours ago
[fixing - staff response] "this photo is no longer available"
Latest: 2 days ago
[Official Thread] Login issues? Try this.
Latest: 5 days ago

Current Discussion

Organizr broken?
Latest: 31 minutes ago
Uploads processing on Flickr error on Windows Uploader
Latest: 69 minutes ago
Contact support?
Latest: 82 minutes ago
Now Photosets/albums are disappearing.
Latest: 2 hours ago
Camera Finder Sony DSC-RX10M2 to RX10M4 not listed
Latest: 3 hours ago
How do i get in touch with someone at Flickr
Latest: 5 hours ago
Getting Flicker RSS URL
Latest: 6 hours ago
Organizr shows non-existing photosets
Latest: 7 hours ago
Black Email notification
Latest: 9 hours ago
My photos faved and added to bad favorite pictures
Latest: 10 hours ago
Bad Panda
Latest: 10 hours ago
Flickr mail
Latest: 11 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

[Closed, Official Topic] Desktop Uploadr 3.1.4

Flickr Staff

josh-n PRO says:

Hello, a new Uploadr version 3.1.4 is now available on the Tools page. We’ve implemented fixes based on your comments in the past weeks, particularly for those members who had slower than usual upload speeds. Please continue providing all your great feedback!

For problem reports, the more details you can give, the better. This includes examples from your photostream (post links, please) if they are images uploaded which reference issues with metadata (tags, EXIF, etc).

I’ve listed some of the things we’ve fixed and a few things we’re still working on.

Updates since previous version 3.1.3:
- Flickr members with free accounts can now upload 2 videos per month.
- We worked around an existing Mozilla bug to give Windows members on Mozilla-based browsers faster upload times. Members who are uploading in larger batches on faster connections will notice this fix the most.
- There were some problems with the sign-in process: certain members couldn’t sign in and some couldn’t see the upload button. We’ve implemented a fix for these issues.
- Members working behind a proxy server can now access Uploadr.
- IPTC data was not transferred to Uploadr for Mac users in some cases; we’ve fixed this.

Known issues:
- The Uploadr crashes when some action is performed while photos are processing. (Ex. When the “Add-on” option under the Tools menu is selected while photos are uploading.) This is a XulRunner issue that we’re currently fixing and testing.
- Files larger than 100 MB may not upload. We’re still trying to localize the cause. It would help us a lot if you can let us know which of your files are having problems.

Thanks!

[edit] fixed some typos
Posted at 2:51PM, 2 March 2009 PDT ( permalink )
josh-n (staff) edited this topic 104 months ago.

← prev 1 2 3
(1 to 100 of 208 replies in [Closed, Official Topic] Desktop Uploadr 3.1.4)
view photos

zyrcster PRO says:

Thanks!
Posted 105 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

aar0on says:

I'd really like to see a feature that would allow me to change the upload date before I upload. Occasionally, I'll toss a bunch of photos in from a set I uploaded a few months ago, and I don't want them right at the top of my photostream; instead, I'd like them put directly into the stream at the place I pre-select.

As it is, I have to wait until photos upload, and then go to each photo and change its upload date. That can get extremely monotonous! I'd be nice to set them all to a specific date/time, hit upload, and just be done with it.

view photos

Kyudos PRO says:

Removed old version, Deleted 'Flickr' folder from 'Application Settings', installed 3.1.4 on WinXP SP3.

Can't sign in from work (no biggie, I don't upload from here anyway).

Do I need to de-auth / re-auth it in Flickr?

Error: Tue, 03 Mar 2009 03:55:52 GMTSTATUS: 0, responseText: , calling: ({api_key:"610346c7619bc6bd51afbbd2739f8d1f", api_sig:"a6c50593eb0bdb262023c7e550c2c332", method:"flickr.auth.getFrob"})
Source File: chrome://uploadr/content/flickr.js
Line: 294

Error: Tue, 03 Mar 2009 03:55:52 GMT Error calling: ({api_key:"610346c7619bc6bd51afbbd2739f8d1f", api_sig:"a6c50593eb0bdb262023c7e550c2c332", method:"flickr.auth.getFrob"})
Line: 339

Error: Tue, 03 Mar 2009 03:56:32 GMTAPI TIMEOUT: ({api_key:"610346c7619bc6bd51afbbd2739f8d1f", api_sig:"a6c50593eb0bdb262023c7e550c2c332", method:"flickr.auth.getFrob"})
Line: 368

view photos

Alejandro Ramírez says:

I am running 3.1.4 on my Mac (OS X 10.5.6) and the order on which I set the pictures does not match the order on which they get posted :-(

Tried twice and same results.

I didn't unininstall, I installed over the old version I had (3.1.3).

view photos

Rosalind Smallwood says:

After successfully uploading 200 images yesterday, I'm now having real problems uploading images - usually 5 at a time. Just downloaded 3.1.4, hoping this would fix the problem. It hasn't.

I get as far as Choose Photos and Video, choose images, click on Select button...and nothing happens.

Help, please

view photos

Kyudos PRO says:

Well, I updated my home installation and everything is sweetness and light, so I'm happy :)

view photos

miahz PRO says:

Known issues: Still cannot Shift-Tab backwards through text areas. This was a Mozilla issue that was fixed in Firefox, so someone familiar with that project may be able to track down the bug/fix for it.

view photos

Flickr Staff

-Jérôme- PRO says:

- Kyudos: Glad to hear it runs smoothly at home. At work, have you tried the new proxy settings we've added in the preference page? If you had to re-auth the app, the app is supposed to prompt you so. So, I am not sure this is the issue.
- Alenjandro Ramirez: we've seen this issue when photos are uploaded to close to each other (in time). Could happen more with the uploadr and small files. Investigating...
- Katydid37: Could you provide us with the messages that appear in the console? That might give us some hint as to what is going wrong.

view photos

Rosalind Smallwood says:

Not sure what you mean by messages appearing the console, Jerome. Previously, when uploading, I worked through the process of clicking on "Upload photos and videos', then I clicked on" Choose photos and videos", then I selected my images and clicked on "Select". then the selected titles and their mgs appeared in a list and I clicked "Upload images" (or whatever) and waited for the pink marker to appear and start moving.

Now I can't get past clicking on "Select" - when I do, the selected images go back where they came from and I'm back looking at "Choose photos and videos" on my screen. End of story.

Any clearer?

view photos

miahz PRO says:

@Alejandro Ramírez + -Jérôme-: I believe this is an issue with Uploadr. I get it occasionally as well on Mac. It's been a problem as long as i can remember in the 3.x line.

Uploadr sometimes jumbles up the sort order of items in the upload window—independent of how they're displayed or how you've dragged and dropped to re-order them. The way to test for this, is to click on a single image in the list, then use the keyboard arrows to scroll through the list. The selected image should change to the next in the list. But when this bug is acting up, the selection will jump all over the place in no particular order.

The only remedy i've found is to close and restart Uploader, but by doing so, you will have lost any manual ordering when it re-sorts everything.

When uploading large batches, i'm in the habit of doing a quick "scroll check" to make sure the sort order is legit, so i won't have to deal with out-of-order photos in my stream.

view photos

Flickr Staff

-Jérôme- PRO says:

@ miahz : well, this is actually another issue. We'll have to troubleshoot this.
@ Katydid37: Under the Tools menu, the Console will display the console and its messages.

view photos

sulaco_rm PRO says:

I updated today to the new version and try to upload 75 pictures but no upload buttom is present. In the console I have 2 messages:
-----
Error: Tue, 03 Mar 2009 16:56:21 GMTSTATUS: 0, responseText: , calling: ({api_key:"a5c4c07991a15c6b56b88005a76e7774", api_sig:"95eacfd4356b3e8952e4c133dc3a8dc6", method:"flickr.people.getUploadStatus", auth_token:"72157614634020277-c326b20e2e97265d"})
Line: 294
------
Error: Tue, 03 Mar 2009 16:56:21 GMTAPI TIMEOUT: ({api_key:"a5c4c07991a15c6b56b88005a76e7774", api_sig:"95eacfd4356b3e8952e4c133dc3a8dc6", method:"flickr.people.getUploadStatus", auth_token:"72157614634020277-c326b20e2e97265d"})

view photos

Eiona R. [busy for a bit] PRO says:

I downloaded the new version less than an hour ago only to find that when I tried a test upload it crashed my laptopn(Windows Vista.

Just tried another test upload in my photostream and it was amazingly slow

view photos

Silly Luis says:

This is not really a problem but a sugesttion: can you put the release number in the "About Uploadr" box ? I mean, it says 3.1, which makes difficult to know whether you have the latest or not at a glance.

Oh! Also, the update feature isn't working well to pass from the 3.1.3 to 3.1.4
Silly Luis edited this topic 105 months ago.

view photos

sulaco_rm PRO says:

BTW, the "create new set" button does not seem to work for me. When you click nothing happens and no additional message is available in the console. I'm running Flickr Uploadr in OSX 10.5.6

view photos

Flickr Staff

josh-n PRO says:

- Can you give us more information on how the update feature isn't working well?
josh-n (staff) edited this topic 105 months ago.

view photos

Eli the Bearded says:

From known issues:
"- The Uploadr crashes when some action is performed while photos are processing."

Wonder if that's why I crashed 3.1.3 three times yesterday.

view photos

Kyudos PRO says:

josh-n I tried again from work. The auto-detect proxy settings didn't work, but putting them in manually allowed me to connect, and prompted me to re-authorise.

Additionally, I used the auto update feature at home and it all went smoothly. And my About box says 3.1.4 :)

view photos

Disney Dan PRO says:

My pictures are appearing in very peculiar orders ><
No matter what I do they all get jumbled up when they appear on my stream!!!!!!!

I have to admit, with all the hiccups as late, and the dire previous version of Uploadr (which I basically couldn't use cos of errors) - and now THIS - I am getting pretty sick of it. Seriously.

view photos

Disney Dan PRO says:

Also adding pictures to a set seems to have no effect. They don't always get added for some reason ...
I am currently trying to upload about 200 pics and this is becoming VERY tiresome.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Kevin PRO says:

@Eli the Bearded- "The Uploadr crashes when some action is performed while photos are processing."

To clarify, that is performing an action (like a menu change) within Uploadr itself.

@Disney Dan:
"My pictures are appearing in very peculiar orders ><
No matter what I do they all get jumbled up when they appear on my stream!!!!!!!"

Can you make a screenshot of your Uploadr window before you start an upload, and when you are done let us take a look? Because they should be placed in the order they appear in Uploadr- top left image would be the last placed in your photostream.

view photos

Disney Dan PRO says:

I shall give it a go.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Kevin PRO says:

Thanks- we could not duplicate jumbled order unless a file was checked in at the exact same instant according to our image daemons. (And that would most likely occur with a very tiny file which uploads really fast.) In that case, it might be 1 or 2 off in a photostream.

@Lilo Lil- any chance you could try uploading the same thing in the web upload page to compare? If you see a problem there, it may be networking issues at play here. We did some things to improve the speed of the Windows version over the previous release (to work around an existing Mozilla bug).

@sulaco_rm- try removing this file:

users.json

Looks like you are on a Mac-

Open a Finder window

/Your account directory > Library > Application Support > Flickr Uploadr > Profiles > profileame.default > users.json

Delete that file and restart Uploadr.

view photos

Disney Dan PRO says:

Ok, so it continues to do it.
i can assure you these aren't tiny files!
Screenshots to follow...

view photos

Disney Dan PRO says:

Image 1 here shows the order I set just before clicking upload...

screen 1

Image 2 here shows the order it DECIDES it is going to do it in (also as now seen on my stream)...

screen 2

view photos

Disney Dan PRO says:

Incidentally I have now reordered those pics in my stream, in case you happen to go to it and see they are correctly placed...

view photos

Disney Dan PRO says:

Correction.... I DID reorder my photos!!! BUT they are still as they were before?!?! Ok something weird is going on now for sure!!!
I changed the times and they are STILL in the order they uploaded in (the WRONG order!)

EDIT: ok so they changed now, but the original upload problem remains.
Disney Dan edited this topic 105 months ago.

view photos

mercuryvapour PRO says:

Just to say I've definitely noticed a speed increase in the uploading of photos in this new version. The "We worked around an existing Mozilla bug to give Windows members on Mozilla-based browsers faster upload times" line was relevant to me, but I can't understand how Mozilla could have caused a problem?

view photos

Flickr Staff

Kevin PRO says:

@Disney Dan- we'll be checking that out. Looking over our own internal bug case after your posts, what I was reading didn't really address that, it was an 'out of order' once they appeared in the photostream issue, not when you reordered in the client. Sorry for my inaccuracy. :( But we'll be looking at that specifically, thank you.

@mercuryvapour- this is the bug that affected that. Uploadr is built upon Mozilla Xulrunner environment. I hope that's clearer. :)

view photos

Don and Elaine PRO says:

I don't know if this is related to the new Uploadr, but when I uploaded 3 photos today, none of the thumbnails appeared in Uploadr, even though the batch memory increased as I added each one. I decided to click "upload" anyway even though I couldn't see them, and when they landed in my account, the images all have a little thumbnail embedded in them in the upper left corner. That's never happened to me before - anyone else see that? I tried again and the same thing happened. I'm running the Uploadr on a Mac with OSX 10.5.4 if that matters.

An example of the weird embedded thumbnail:

[https://www.flickr.com/photos/pr0teins/3327202224/]

thanks in advance for the input

- Don

view photos

ColleenM says:

Don and Elaine

That's an embedded thumbnail from a TIFF file. You either need to save your files as .jpgs or make sure your photoediting software doesn't save with the embedded file.

view photos

Don and Elaine PRO says:

Thanks Colleen. OK - I was just uploading straight out of iPhoto where the thumbnail doesn't appear, but I'll try to convert over to jpeg and see what happens.

view photos

ajvlasman says:

Every time I drag more than 2 or 3 photos the Uploadr is crashing. I get the message "The application Flickr Uploadr quit unexpectedly." This is VERY annoying to say the least. What is happening here?

view photos

tibiloo says:

I couldn't sign in with the previous version (except the 2.5) and this new one works perfectly !

Thank you !

view photos

Flickr Staff

Kevin PRO says:

@tibiloo: Yay! :)

@ajvlasman- are these photos that will successfully process in the web upload page?

view photos

teh resa PRO says:

I have mac operating system x 3.9 Panther. Does this mean I won't be able to use the uploadreon that machine? I have xp on a laptop but what about the mac?

view photos

ajvlasman says:

Kevin - yes these are photos that successfully process in the web upload page, but it took over 10 minutes to upload 5 photos that were only 17MB in total. But now when I go to the web upload page again (after just having uploaded some photos), I click on the link for 'step 1 Choose photos and videos' and nothing happens. Does Flickr have something against me?

view photos

Disney Dan PRO says:

I think the problem I am having could be occurring because I have pics from two different cameras that I am trying to upload. As far as I can see, Uploadr seems to want to sort them by camera, not by how I want them sorted. All the same, incredibly frustrating, and I'm sure this is not how it's MEANT to work?!

Please help with a solution! I can't go on like this!!!!!

view photos

Disney Dan PRO says:

Ok so something REALLY fruity is going on now!!!
Pics are being added to my stream TWICE!!
They are not in Uploadr twice, I can assure you of that!!
But they suddenly double up on my stream?!!??!?!

H E L P

view photos

macsfstop PRO says:

Importing to the new uploadr still "cleans" or erases tags. (Mac OS X 10.5.6)

view photos

Flickr Staff

Zack Sheppard PRO says:

Disney Dan, you said,

"I think the problem I am having could be occurring because I have pics from two different cameras"

are the images in different folders by any chance and you are selecting one set and then selecting the other? We were able to replicate the images uploading in the wrong order and are looking at that.

DId the images upload 2x in just one batch or has it been happening since then as well?

view photos

Silly Luis says:

First time, the update seemed to go ok, downloaded all those megas, etc. and then asked for a restart of the Uploadr.

When it restarted, it said again that there was a new version. I clicked once more on the "yes, update please" button and it went through the motions (except that it looked like it downloaded nothing this time) and on re-restart ... it said yet again that there was a new version, blah, blah, blah.

Perhaps it was a glitch; I'll try again now.

edit: Nops! It does the same and in the second try appears a box saying:

The file jar:file:///C:/Archivos de programa/Flickr Uploadr/xulrunner/chrome/toolkit.jar!/content/mozapps/update/undefined cannot be found. Please check the location and try again.
toolkit.jar is definitively there.
Silly Luis edited this topic 105 months ago.

view photos

ajvlasman says:

Uh, staff, please feel free to address my issues. Please and thanks.

view photos

SunCat says:

The new uploadr is definitely ignoring the order that I am selecting. It is uploading in either file name or date taken order. Here are a couple of screen shots from my most recent attempt:

Before:
[https://www.flickr.com/photos/suncat/3329330345/]

After:
[https://www.flickr.com/photos/suncat/3330164982]

You can also see this internal preference for the order when you try to select a range of photos to work on. When I clicked on the first image, then shift-clicked on the last image, only a couple of scattered images were selected.

[Edit: BTW. All images were taken by the same camera, and selected from a single folder/directory]

view photos

Aussie Beth says:

photos not loading with new version. what gives using mozila and can't upload takes a long time and get nothing uploaded tired 3 times now

view photos

svwindom PRO says:

I cannot seem to use the new version: I immediately get the "Houston, we have a problem" message/Bonk as soon as I hit the upload button.

I am trying to upload 20 large images, with my options set to automagically resize them. What I have done, with no apparent effect:

- restarted modem

- plugged in from my wireless

- rebooted

- uninstalled and reinstalled uploadr

I am running XP Pro.

Possibly related: there is a non-existent file showing up in my uploadr (with a bang triangle) that I cannot select or delete.

ETA: The problem appears to be that the Uploadr can't handle files which are on a networked drive (as opposed to a local one).
svwindom edited this topic 105 months ago.

view photos

MadeIn1953 says:

I'll confirm the uploadr order is not being kept the same as the photostream order once they are uploaded. In my case, my camera doesn't put a date/time in the "Date Picture Taken" field (I believe this is why the uploader always initially puts my videos at the beginning). When I add both photos and videos into a single uploader batch, my videos have always ended up at the bottom of the uploader - and first to be uploaded in my photostream.

In the past, I've uploaded photos, followed by a video in another batch, followed by more photos in another batch, followed by a video, etc., to keep them in the proper order.

Tonight, I put 3 videos in the order they should have been amoungst 19 photos in the uploadr, but the videos still came out first in my photostream.
MadeIn1953 edited this topic 105 months ago.

view photos

miahz PRO says:

When i just exited Firefox (actually a 3.1 nightly version), it aborted Uploadr. To be clear, i enabled an extension in Firefox and hit the Restart button in the add-ons window. On OS X.

view photos

miahz PRO says:

To everyone that is having problems with file order: you can check the actual order of files in Uploadr by selecting one in the window and using keyboard arrows to scroll through the list. If the highlighted file (pink outline) scrolls sequentially through the list, the files will upload to Flickr in the order they appear. If it jumps around to different files, then Uploadr has them "out of order" and they will not land on Flickr as you want.

I've just uploaded several batches checking the file order this way, and they all uploaded in the order i specified.

It appears to be a problem with the "Re-sort these items by date taken" option. If Uploadr is in "date taken" order mode when started (Your items are currently ordered by date taken. Drag and drop to reorder is in gray text above files) then the "absolute" file order "sticks" to the file when you drag and reorder. Result: selected file jumps around out of list order, but in original absolute order.

Starting Uploadr in "unsorted mode" (with the blue Re-sort items by date taken link above file list) seems to "unlock" the absolute order when reordering, so that files land on Flickr in the order as they appear in Uploadr.

I made a video screencast that demonstrates how to get your files to upload in the order you want:
Flickr Uploadr 3.1.4 Upload Order Workaround [Screencast]
miahz edited this topic 105 months ago.

view photos

Disney Dan PRO says:

What ever you just said made no sense, and I shouldn't have to go thru all that to get my images in the right order!!

Staff: My images are all in same folder, regardless of camera.

As I already said, I drag pictures into Uploadr in one order, and they end up in a different order - sometimes twice.
It's just not good enough.

view photos

MadeIn1953 says:

@ miahz - "Re-sort these items by date taken" option...

Where in the 3.1.4 uploadr does one find this option? Or selecting "unsorted mode" when one starts the uploadr?

Also, the "Tips and Tricks" under the Help tab, it says one can move them around via Drag and Drop, yet, that doesn't seem to be true.

view photos

Disney Dan PRO says:

[edit]
ignore this comment lol

view photos

macsfstop PRO says:

A) Photo order issues;

B) When tags do load, they now have double quotations around word groups, which incorporates a pair of quotation marks in each Flickr Tag.

C) Currently unable to load any images. Begins to upload, then hangs between 24-69%. Have to Force-Quit. Tried 2 files (8MB, 11MB), and would hang on first one at 24%. Tried a single file (one at 8MB, one at 11MB separately), and would hang between 24-69%. Force-Quit.

Unable to upload via Flickr Uploadr.
Basic Uploadr Still Works.
macsfstop edited this topic 105 months ago.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Zack Sheppard PRO says:

Thanks for the feedback everyone. We are noting all the bugs you are seeing and trying to replicate including the crashes, duplication, and re-ordering.

We aren't able to replicate the slowness in uploading. For those of you getting this, are you seeing slowness in uploading via all methods or just the Uploadr application?

macsfstop, you said "Unable to upload via Flickr Uploadr." Does this mean the web based uploadr at:
flickr.com/photos/upload/
is also not working for you?

view photos

jay.gunn says:

If this has been answered already, please feel free to berate me... but when I drag & drop pictures from iPhoto, none of the titles, descriptions or tags are carried over.

iPhoto '09, OSX 10.5.6, Uploadr 3.1.4

Seems kind of pointless to spend time tagging/titling and describing things in iPhoto, only to have to do it again on the Flickr Uploadr. I've been using the Flickr sync in iPhoto '09, and FFXporter in iPhoto '08 (which doesn't appear to be working in '09 yet), so I'm looking for alternative upload methods, when I just want to send a file to my account, without having to worry about needing to create a whole set for it.

1001 appears to do exactly what I want, even lets me add photos to my groups, and brings in titles, tags, and discriptions automatically from iPhoto. I'm hoping there's some way to do this with the official uploader, and I'm just not seeing it for some reason?

view photos

Brenda Anderson PRO says:

DarkWolf777 wrote

but when I drag & drop pictures from iPhoto, none of the titles, descriptions or tags are carried over.
iPhoto doesn't write the metadata to the images until you "export".

So, highlight all the images you want to upload, then Export as jpg and tick the box to embed titles/descr/keywords and then upload those files.

view photos

jay.gunn says:

@Brenda Anderson: That's what I'm trying to avoid :) Seems silly to have to take the extra step of exporting, before uploading.

The way 1001 handles this, is by integrating with the system wide Media Browser (meaning it can pick up pictures from iPhoto, Photobooth, Aperture, or by browsing folders, complete with titles, tags, descriptions, etc). Is there no way Flickr Uploadr could do this? I know it's cross platform, built on XUL, etc. Surely a plugin or extension could be written for better OSX integration though, yeah?

view photos

Brenda Anderson PRO says:

Perhaps Flickr figures that if 3rd party tools are already out there, then they don't need to do it themselves.

As you might have seen, they even link to FlickrExport as an alternative OSX uploadr on the Flickr Tools page itself.

view photos

jay.gunn says:

Nothing against Mr. Speirs, but $20-$30 (depending on exchange rates) for a plugin that that does what 1001 does for free, hardly seems worth it.

Even FFXporter is free, and is a plug-in directly to iPhoto. The only thing it doesn't do that FlickrExport does, is sending uploads to groups (which 1001 does too)... and that honestly isn't difficult using Organizr. Unfortunately, FFXporter hasn't been updated for iPhoto 09 yet, and it's reporting a conflict with the built in Flickr Sync.

Are there any plugins/extensions available for Flickr Uploadr? Or is the Tools > Add-ons just a result of being built on XUL and is otherwise useless? There's a thriving extension community for Firefox, even Thunderbird. But even Firefox and Thunderbird don't integrate with the Media Library on OSX. I'm wondering if that's a lack of effort by developers to make an extension that works, or if it's an actual impossibility with the XUL framework to provide that level of integration.

view photos

Xenomancer says:

I set my first batch of photos to upload, went to explore the interface, and promptly crashed things by trying to figure out what sort of add-ons are possible :) nice going.

view photos

SunCat says:

I can somewhat confirm the behavior miahz noted. In my previous upload attempt, I had dragged a large block of photos to the uploadr, and then tried to re-order them by dragging and dropping them within the uploadr. For my most recent upload, I started with a couple of test images and dragged them within the uploadr to get it to switch into drag and drop mode. I then cleared the photos, and dragged the images I wanted to upload one by one into the uploadr in the order I wanted it to upload them. Only then did it honor my upload order. A royal pain in the rear, but at least it's better than hacking the upload times after the fact.

view photos

andrew.f. says:

Uploaded two batches, first crashed after three photos. Second uploaded comepletely but neither batch created the new set I made in uploader. It seems with each new update there's more and more bugs. :/

view photos

norbet1 PRO says:

I'm sorry but this new uploader appears to be a bit of a joke .
I'm running Mac Leopard 10.5.6 Leopard .

I've done some scans on a Plustek Optic Film 7300 , I'd problems uploading B&W scans which were done as 16 bit , that's fair enough as I'd problems with 16 bit colour images from Photoshop 8 CS with the old uploader , if I converted them back in Mac Colour Sync Utility or Preview , the uploads would go up .

To keep the file sizes down I've scanned as JPEG's , if I do any editing in either Photoshop Elements 4.0.1 or PS 8 CS or iPhoto 08 , I'm getting unsupported file types when trying to post JPEG's .

It's hardly if these files are rare and uncommon is it ??

The only way I've had any scans upload is to attach to Mac Mail new message compositions , Mac mail resizes them , I right click and save and NOT save the draft message , then upload to Flickr BUT I can ONLY do this if I change the resized JPEG's from aborted Mac Mail Emails to small TIFF's .

I have tried turning the big scanned JPEG files into TIFF's , amazingly ; I've been able to drag and drop them onto the new uploader , then they are resized BUT although the upload is pretty quick , the bottom third of the picture is cut off .

C'mon Flickr , please sort this nonsense out !

What is going on ? - this is all a complete farce unfortunately ?
J unloader is no different either !
norbet1 edited this topic 105 months ago.

view photos

bean*mama says:

I see this has been mentioned above, but just adding my voice to those who've experienced their photos getting posted in an order that does not match the order they put things in, in the Uploadr interface.

view photos

mamaqs4 says:

Im getting the error message when I try to use the uploaders. The only thing working is the basic uploader which I have to to upload 6 pics at a time.

I am new to the site but I have a pro account. It says that there maybe a problem with my internet connection twiddle some wires etc.

The error message I am getting is this...

XML Parsing Error: undefined entity
Line Number 67, Column 5:
----^

I have windows XP and using firefox. I am refering to the 3.1.4 loader and the flash loader. The basic uploader works fine but is too slow for me.

Anyone know whats wrong?
mamaqs4 edited this topic 105 months ago.

view photos

tibiloo says:

"Starting Uploadr in "unsorted mode" (with the blue Re-sort items by date taken link above file list) seems to "unlock" the absolute order when reordering, so that files land on Flickr in the order as they appear in Uploadr. "

How can i do that ?

I also noted problem with the order of my pictures

view photos

macsfstop PRO says:

Zack: No, that web-based uploadr works fine. It's the Flickr Uploadr 3.1.4 (I'll refer to each as "web-based uploadr" and "Uploadr 3.1.4") that's having issues. Apologies if that was unclear, as I was testing and updating that post at the same time.

New issue: A previously uploaded photo is now re-appearing in the Uploadr 3.1.4, and not the last uploaded.

I'll experiment more later and add an updated post.

view photos

Poagao PRO says:

I cannot get 3.1.4 to recognize the order in which I place my photos in uploadr, it uploads them by time taken no matter what order I place them in the Uploadr window. Restarting with the blue text results in Flickr re-ordering the photos back to the date-based order. The "unsorted mode" you mention does not seem to exist.
Poagao edited this topic 105 months ago.

view photos

ColleenM says:

Poagao

I don't see that staff have talked about an "unsorted mode". Can you click the permalink under that comment and paste the URL here?

If staff comments in this thread, their Buddy Icon has the word "staff" under it.

view photos

Poagao PRO says:

Sorry, thought Miahz was staff.

www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/92225/#reply605898

view photos

Woordenaar PRO says:

Same problem here with the ordering. I tried jUploader as an alternitive, but that doesn't work as nice as Uploadr 3.x. (at east for me)
So please flickr people, fix this issue :-)

view photos

Tennessee Persians (www.tnpurrs.com) says:

Are there still places where we can upload previous versions of the uploader? Everything was working just fine here, and now I can't get an upload button... very frustrated! I just want the old one back that worked, please.

view photos

Dan Muntz says:

Ugh, ordering is broken.

view photos

fionall says:

My Flickr Uploader 3.1.4 is now missing an upload button. Before that it was just completely crashing and it wouldn't allow me to view the error message. Also it was uploading multiple copies of the same photo.

The webbased Flickr uploader is completely hanging :(

The only uploader working is the basic uploader. Very frustrating as you can only upload 5 at a time!

view photos

Mike Cohn PRO says:

Hello, Flickr Staff. Is anybody home?! I've seen numerous complaints in this thread (now you can add mine) stating that the upload order becomes scrambled once uploaded to the user's photostream. Maybe I missed it, but Staff seems to be ignoring this problem.

view photos

forkknifeandspoon PRO says:

I've used uploader with no problems before, now it shows me a caution roadsign instead of my pictures in the window, and if i click on them they disappear!

view photos

Eric M Martin PRO says:

I too have been having a number of issues with Uploadr. Files are having dates changed, sets that I assign are not being added, files are being added to incorrect sets, etc.

Any ideas?

view photos

AZGlenn PRO says:

I too am having the same problems with my sorted order in uploadr arriving on my flickr page in the wrong order. Mac Leopard user here. I never had issues with uploadr before "upgrading" to 3.1.4. After uploading 72 photos in my last two batches that are out of order, it's frustrating to know how long this problem has been going on without a fix. Help!

view photos

J_Svendsen PRO says:

I too am haviing multiple problems with Uploadr 3.1.4 over the last few days. Two days ago I found that it would crash if I tried to submit more than 2 or 3 uploads simultaneously (losing all of the batches in the process). This happened several times in a row, until I finally decided to just submit one batch at a time (slower).

I also found that if I selected all of the photos in the Uploadr window and assigned them to a Set, that some of them would go to the set and some wouldn't for some unknown reason. i.e. if I clicked on each photo one at a time, some would show that they were going to be assigned to the desired set, while others showed no set selection at all. Even though they were all highlighted at once when I assigned the (new) set name.

Tonight I'm trying to upload some more batches, but the Uploadr gets to 99% or 100% and then says "Processing....". There it has sat for 10 minutes or so without completing. This has happened twice now.

What's going on?

(I'm on WinXP Pro SP3, and have a Pro account)

view photos

J_Svendsen PRO says:

I should have added that I'm also using Firefox 3 as my web browser.

I also peeked into the Console and found a lot of error messages. Should I submit them somehow for diagnosis? How?

view photos

miahz PRO says:

I made a video screencast that demonstrates how to get your files to upload in the order you want:

Flickr Uploadr 3.1.4 Upload Order Workaround [Screencast] by miahz

Flickr Uploadr 3.1.4 Upload Order Workaround [Screencast]

Disregard the rest of this comment, the information is outdated. Flickr Staff has an updated version of Uploadr on the way.

@tibiloo, right, i later realized that my previous instructions weren't complete. @MadeIn1953, i made up these "mode" names just as a way to describe what i was talking about. There are no options for them, per se, other than as i described. @Mike Cohn the issue has been acknowledged by Flickr Staff, and this is a work around:

Updated/simple instructions for upload order issue:

1. Add files to list
2. Drag and move a file so the blue re-sort link appears at top
Unsorted Mode
3. Exit and restart Uploader.
4. You may have to reset any manual order adjustments you want.

Again, confirm the order before hitting Upload by:
1. Clicking on any file in the list, it will be outlined in pink
Selected File
2. Use keyboard arrows to scroll through list items
3. Selection (pink outline) should scroll sequentially, not jump around the list

[Old info:

If you have files in the list, then quit Uploadr and restart it, it should resume with those files already in the list.

It will start in "manual" sort mode, which appears to be safe for uploading in order. But when it restarts, it sometimes reloads the list in the default order. I don't know for sure, but it appears that Uploadr "pre-sorts" everything by its EXIF date if it exists, with newly added files going to top of the list (end), except videos which land at the end of the list (beginning). Therefore, most of my reordering is to place videos back into the "stream" in their date taken order, because videos don't have EXIF data.]

After more testing, i also realized that this "mode switching" is also possibly related to when files are added to an empty list (set the "mode" as described previously, then clear the list, then re-add files). But doing so proved very buggy usually leading to a crash. Using the first method (mode switch, then exit/restart) has been "safe" for me so far.

@Staff:
Speaking of crashing, when Uploadr does crash in the middle of uploading a batch, the entire previous file list is loaded on restart. Which means i have to go check my photostream to see at which file it left off, and delete from the list all the files that were successfully uploaded. Obviously we expect no crashes, but if we must endure, a "smart" resume feature that picks up where it left off would be great.

Similarly, when resuming mid-upload crashes, if files were assigned to a new set, Uploadr creates a second set ID and doesn't continue uploading to the previously generated set. The work around for this is to click on each file individually and delete the set name listed under "This will be added to:" and then selecting the previously generated set from the "Add to sets:" list.

For the record, i'm using Uploadr 3.1.4 on Mac OS X 10.5.6. All of my photos and videos come from a Canon PowerShot SD790 IS, generally all from the same folder, but occasionally with a few files added from separate folders. I always drag and drop groups of files from Finder, never use the +Add button and file picker. Sometimes i add info and assign sets, but sometimes i don't—i don't see that that is related to the ordering issue. When i have assigned sets, i haven't noticed any issues other than the above mentions crash-resume problems. I've not observed any dates changing other than assigning the current time to files without EXIF, such as videos.

@newb0040, that sounds like a corrupt file list, which i think is fixable by editing or deleting some Uploadr settings file buried somewhere in your user profile, i think. I've done it before, but don't remember what the file is called. That happens when a file you added is missing (deleted, renamed, etc.), but for some reason Uploadr doesn't clear it from it's internal list, even after you click on it and it disappears, only to reappear next time you start the program.

@Disney Dan, so should i just ignore all of your comments then? My instructions explain how to work around the exact issue you're experiencing. Don't slight my comment, especially if you're not going to post anything constructive.
miahz edited this topic 105 months ago.

view photos

NikWatt PRO says:

I'm only trying to upload 20 pictures and have been waiting half an hour. I never had this problem before (before my PC crashed with some 'horrific Trojan', according to the IT folk that took it back to basics).

Maybe I should "resize" the images - would that help?

Be grateful of your help. But any comment needs to be given v e r y s l o w l y, as I'm a photographer not a computerite.

view photos

NikWatt PRO says:

Upload speed on BT BB is: 41.3Kb/s

view photos

NikWatt PRO says:

Not just because it's taking for "forever" to upload but here's a thought to chuck into the fire: did anyone running Flickr actually ask the folk paying them, if we wanted a change?

The shots I started earlier are still uploading, btw..

view photos

Dr. Keats PRO says:

The Uploadr isn't just used by the "paying" customers. In fact, they're far outweighed by the non-paying customers - who are experiencing exactly the same problems...

view photos

NikWatt PRO says:

That wasn't really my point but more that the folk that do pay might've expected some form of consultation. In either case, nobody asked anyone - they just changed it, and not (it would appear) for the better.

view photos

andrew.f. says:

Can I download the last version somewhere, this new update stinks! Keeps crashing and never completes the uploads.

view photos

Jameson Piedimonte says:

i'm getting this error when i try to edit a set in Organizr after uploading photos using the desktop uploadr on mac:

could not load set contents:

I just tried uploading with the browser based version and I get the same error. what gives?

view photos

Disney Dan PRO says:

@miahz:
I wasn't "slighting" anything. But if you read the comment after mine, they didn't know what your talking about either. Ignore what you like for all I care.
In any case, this is a staff issue. And it still hasn't been resolved.
It's been a week and people are still having problems.

view photos

Devan-Z says:

can't upload through the newest version.
-_-''

Error: Mon, 09 Mar 2009 22:12:56 GMTAPI TIMEOUT: ({api_key:"610346c7619bc6bd51afbbd2739f8d1f", api_sig:"3e80ee07c20195f0288c1f693bfb9a40", method:"flickr.people.getUploadStatus", auth_token:"72157603513520209-ef510e80fb9bb49f"})

Warning: Key event not available on GTK2: key="u" modifiers="shift accel"
Source File: chrome://uploadr/content/main.xul
Line: 0

Mon, 09 Mar 2009 22:11:55 GMT: UPLOAD RETRY: id = 0, retry = 3

view photos

cameron_simpson says:

Ordering bug in MacOSX version of flickr uploader.

The flickr uploadr 3.1.4 uploads in date order, regardless of any hand ordering the photo owner does. I've just verified this with three photos. This seems like a major regression; plenty of people care a lot about photo upload order.

Also, there is a longstanding user interface disaster: the "resort items by date taken" looks like a nice and _small_ HTMLlike hyperlink, but in fact is a large area of the GUI above the photos, with no visible order; clicking _anywhere_ in that rectangle will toss the user's manual arrangement and revert to date order.

Since this is (a) very very easy to do by accident (b) has no undo! and (c) probably almost never wanted, since the photos are loaded in date order to start with then this should be a _small_ button with a confirm dialogue (or an obvious intuitive "undo").

Of course, with the new uploader this is irrelevant since it ignores the arranged order anyway:-)

Has nobody else noticed this?

view photos

miahz PRO says:

@cameron_simpson:
Scroll up and read.

view photos

cameron_simpson says:

I wrote, above, "with no visible order". I meant "border". Ouch.

You can wave your mouse around and infer the edge of the "reorder" area by the change in cursor shape, but visually the whole area is a featureless white area, a large section of which will trash the user's manual arrangement.

view photos

cameron_simpson says:

@miahz:
I have read your more thorough investigation, thanks. But this is still a serious app bug, not a surprising mode behaviour; the photos are displayed to the user in one order and uploaded in another - that should never happen.

view photos

miahz PRO says:

@NikWatt: I can't say i've noticed any upload speed issues due to the Uploadr program itself. At home i have Verizon FiOS which consistently pegs 500 KB/s uploads. At work it's much much slower. DSL Definitely dependent on the connection available. There was no change in upload speed from any previous version of the Uploadr software.

Yes, resizing your images smaller would help with upload time because there would be less data to send. But then you will not have originals saved on Flickr.

view photos

miahz PRO says:

@cameron_simpson: I've provided instructions both for checking to ensure files are in the expected order, and a method to ensure they will be uploaded to Flickr in that same order. Regardless of if you want to call it a bug or a behavior, i have explained how to deal with it so things work as expected. Please reread carefully.

Let me know if there are parts that are unclear, and i will try to clarify. I use the method i describe and have no issues with files going out of order. I figured this out one or two versions ago—i'm pretty sure this bug is not new to this 3.1.4 version.

I do agree about the awkwardly displayed Re-sort link, but to be fair, it changes to a link cursor when you hover over the area that is clickable, so it's not completely without feedback.

view photos

daveknapik says:

Just like many people here, I'm now experiencing the "sort order" bug. Prior to 3.1.4, I've used almost every version of 3.x and not had this problem: I used to be able to reliably choose the order in which my photos would upload/appear. Now the Uploadr seems to have a mind of its own.

Please fix for 3.1.5, Team Flickr! Order of appearance means a lot to us, because we want our best snaps featured at the top of our photostream each day. Thanks!

view photos

Mike Cohn PRO says:

[comment deleted by me]
Mike Cohn edited this topic 105 months ago.

view photos

macsfstop PRO says:

@miahz: your helpful posts may more so if you unblocked the posted links and photos ;) No sense posting what cannot be seen, and only further frustrates the already-frustrated. It's clear you've put some thought into whatever it is you're calling a workaround, so thanks. A little too many unknowns, variables, steps, exiting and restarting, not to mention the use of "modes"... but that's just me.

Using the web-based loadr moots all of that... for me.

Still an issue I'm finding with 3.1.4 is the stripping of tags, no matter if it's one or many, the Tags field in the 3.1.4 uploadr remains empty when images are imported.

view photos

zyrcster PRO says:

I know a few people have mentioned this, but I wanted to report that this version of the Uploader does not upload in the order shown in the Uploader, as previous versions have done. A bit of an annoyance.

This thread has been closed by Flickr Staff.

← prev 1 2 3
(1 to 100 of 208 replies in [Closed, Official Topic] Desktop Uploadr 3.1.4)
Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads