Help / The Help Forum

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Hot Topics

[BUG] Photostream: Count Incorrect, Missing Images, Album Issues
Latest: 6 minutes ago
Login issues? Try this.
Latest: 2 hours ago
[replacing | staff response] Aviary editing functions disabled
Latest: 6 hours ago

Current Discussion

Missing Images
Latest: 10 minutes ago
verizon vs yahoo
Latest: 28 minutes ago
I'm invited to add photos to groups but they don't show up in group pool.
Latest: 35 minutes ago
[Fixed] sign in triggers error message - locked out of account
Latest: 2 hours ago
[resolved] Replying FlickrMessages Subject is blank.
Latest: 3 hours ago
date of connection
[fixed] Adding Photos to Groups on Flickr Android App
[fixed] Photos on android app not deleting/ moving to albums from photostream
Latest: 4 hours ago
[fixed] flickr app
Latest: 4 hours ago
Delete a photo
Latest: 5 hours ago
new flickr login method
Latest: 5 hours ago
Well, Hello Verizon!
Latest: 7 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

[Official Topic] Video for free account members

Flickr Staff

heather says:

First step is to make sure that you've installed the latest Uploadr (v3.1.4) that's available from the tools page:

www.flickr.com/tools/

If you've questions or feedback about the availability of video for all members, this topics for you.

Please be sure to check out the FAQs:

Is video available to everyone?
www.flickr.com/help/video/#571713

What do I get with a Pro account?
www.flickr.com/help/limits/#28
Posted at 2:50PM, 2 March 2009 PDT ( permalink )
heather (staff) edited this topic 100 months ago.

view photos

MetaGrrrl PRO says:

Hooray! More long pictures! This is great news.

If you're looking for more inspiration, here are a few of my favorites:
A pretty view, with birdsong
www.flickr.com/photos/heather/3308076804/

Merlin & Eleanor talking about Flickr
www.flickr.com/photos/merlin/3102918991/

Bokeh drive
www.flickr.com/photos/lukeroberts/2592292249/

Dunstan being tricky with camera stands & trying to keep a straight face
www.flickr.com/photos/dunstan/3197800240/

A birthday song (with caveats)
www.flickr.com/photos/john/3184951053/

Buoys
www.flickr.com/photos/striatic/3083252541/

Bre flying his new rocket toy (with rocket noises)
www.flickr.com/photos/bre/3059751747/

Tippety Tappety Tip Tap Click*
www.flickr.com/photos/charliebcatt/2357883395/

Oh and so many more. I can't wait to see what all these new folks will do!

:)

[*edited 3/3/2009 to correct spelling of this significant work of art]
Posted 100 months ago. ( permalink )
MetaGrrrl edited this topic 100 months ago.

view photos

striatic PRO says:

for me, "Tippity Tappity Tip Tap Click" represents the pinnacle of achievement of Flickr video's golden age.

let the silver age begin!

view photos

lassepoika says:

I'm totally happy with this video upload for everyone. But.
Is it supposed to be like this that I can only add my videos to "video only" -groups if I'm pro, or is this just an early stage oops..?

Succeed adding mine to one group which is for photos and videos, but not if the group is video only..

view photos

Flickr Staff

heather says:

lassepoika, Flickr Clock is a video only group. Can you try adding your video to that group and let me know if you still continue to have issues?

flickr.com/groups/flickrclock

view photos

lassepoika says:

If I just click "Add Video" after joining the group, I only get this Message:
"This group only allows videos.
Why not upgrade your account so you can add video?"

But found out that I'm able to drag&drop videos to "videos only" groups via the Organize-tab.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Kevin PRO says:

oops, I duplicated that bug. thanks for letting us know!

view photos

Chrisser PRO says:

It is nice that those with free account status can post two videos within the 90 seconds limit each month after downloading and installing Uploadr 3.1.4.

Edit - Unsure why the part about each month wasn't showing up when I did enter that before posting earlier.

view photos

The Searcher PRO says:

Does the video still count against their monthly bandwidth limit? Seems like it could fill it up pretty quickly, especially for folks that aren't that knowledgeable about compression and formats.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Kevin PRO says:

The Searcher, no it does not. :)

view photos

Flickr Staff

Kevin PRO says:

@lassepoika- the adding video to the group page interface problem is fixed. thanks!

view photos

teh resa PRO says:

might try that...

view photos

teh resa PRO says:

An announcement on the home page might be a nice idea. I just stumbled onto the info here in the help forum. Usually when I see anything on my home page that includes the words "video" or "stats" I just ignore it and assume it doesn't apply to me. Other free account holders may do the same thing. After clicking on a few of the announcements about stats and finding myself on the upgrade page I just started ignoring anything that seemed not to apply to free account holders.

view photos

teh resa PRO says:

Also, Heather says at the top of the page to make sure you have installed the latest uploadr (which won't work on a mac OSX3.9), but what about the web uploadr? that is the one I always use? And what about uploading a video from a psp from the old mobile site? The old mobile site does seem give the option to upload videos..

view photos

mjones3 PRO says:

If free mebers can now upload videos, pro members shoudl be able to upload longer then 30 second clips...

view photos

SJ Commander - SPW / J-Tac / TPI says:

^90 seconds*

view photos

Flickr Staff

heather says:

An announcement on the home page might be a nice idea

That parts coming soon. We wanted to make sure that all the bits and pieces were in place and that it didn't fall over.

but what about the web uploadr? that is the one I always use? And what about uploading a video from a psp from the old mobile site?

All those bits and pieces are going to be brought into line shortly.

view photos

Flickr Staff

shanan says:

but what about the web uploadr? that is the one I always use? And what about uploading a video from a psp from the old mobile site?

To be clear, you can upload video via email, mobile, web uploadr and desktop uploadr. We automatically made changes to the ones we control, but the desktop uploadr requires you to update your software if you're a free member wanting to upload, which is why we mentioned it.

That and the desktop uploadr is way better for uploading big video files!

view photos

LondonSLR says:

I've noticed that you are also now lifting limits of sets for free members too.

Can I just ask a question what else is going to be given to free members as well in the future?

As a paying member I am starting to see more and more things which I thought I was paying to get being given away for free to free members!

I feel as though I am supporting non-paying members! It seems the only thing I get now is unlimited storage - everything else is free to everyone else!

And before getting to upload HD video is waggled in front of me - a) I disagreed with the video concept to begin with (this isn't youtube) and b) not everyone has an HD camcorder - should I spend more money to feel justified at having my Pro account?

Am just interested what other Pro users feel as this is how Pro accounts are sold to us now:

Here's what you get...

Unlimited uploads and storage (OK fine)
Unlimited sets and collections (Errr not anymore - its free for everyone)
Access to your original files (Is that not the same as having unlimited storage?)
Stats on your account (Wow - big sell)
Ad-free browsing and sharing (joy - the ad's are not exactly intrusive tbh!)
HD playback for high-definition video uploads NEW (see comment above)

view photos

Flickr Staff

Dunstan PRO says:

LondonSLR, this thread in Flickr Ideas is probably a more suitable place for you. But to quickly address a couple of your points...

"Unlimited sets and collections (Errr not anymore - its free for everyone)"

Collections are a Pro-only feature.

"Access to your original files (Is that not the same as having unlimited storage?)"

No, free accounts can't access the original files they uploaded, only the large size. Pro accounts can access the originals.

As for stats, ad-free, and HD videos -- you might not be that interested in those features, but many people are. In fact, to quote from that Flickr Ideas thread:

sweet distin: "yes, it's worth paying to be ad free to me."

So really it's swings and roundabouts. But as I say, best to add your voice to this thread in Flickr Ideas.

view photos

ⓅⒶⓎⓅⒶⓊⓁ PRO says:

All this is well and good and democratic. It would interest me to know how Flickr came to this decision and why you felt it was possible. Video of course requires higher storage capacities so I presume you must have received a few more terabytes of capacity to accomodate this change. Flickr is still a fair bargain when compared to most other sites which charge a great deal more. For those who want to upload longer or larger sized videos there's YouTube. As far as HQ video goes I don't have an HQ camcorder or something like that and I'm not about to even bother trying to compete with those well heeled individuals who have managed to hold onto their high paying positions thus being able to afford one. Video is still an occasional amusement, gimmick or perk that I may involve myself in once and awhile. This is no big deal breaker.

view photos

thats_me_in_the_corner says:

The worst about flickr is their complete autocratic rule and their audacity with which they trample upon you and delete accounts...just like that, D@#ned F@#$!

view photos

The Searcher PRO says:

Yes it is terrible when Flickr makes rules and then explains them and then explains the consequences for breaking them and then enacts those consequences when broken. Darned Frogs indeed.

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads