Help / The Help Forum

This thread has been closed by Flickr Staff.

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] Have an idea for Flickr? Share it here.
Latest: 2 days ago
Welcome to the Flickr Help Forum! Click here to get started and to read our Forum Guidelines.
Latest: 6 months ago

Current Discussion

[Resolved] Unable to change safety level
Latest: 61 minutes ago
Upload Error - Can't update this collection
Latest: 68 minutes ago
Functionality not working
Latest: 76 minutes ago
Is there a way to figure out which groups give the most Faves and comments?
Latest: 84 minutes ago
[Resolved] Problem with the sign in
Latest: 2 hours ago
How should I attribute images on mobile?
Latest: 2 hours ago
Upload issues with video
Latest: 6 hours ago
Find Commented Photos
Latest: 12 hours ago
No Paypal (not a new subscriber)
Latest: 13 hours ago
comments
Latest: 13 hours ago
Unresolved Problem: Apple TV 4K can only show 2 photos in an album
Latest: 14 hours ago
How to get embed code on mobile app?
Latest: 17 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

[Closed] New Uploadr 3.1.2

Flickr Staff

josh-n says:

Update 22 January: We have released 3.1.3, and are closing this topic for the succeeding forum topic here.

Thanks!

**Update 16th January** We've made some fixes based on your feedback. I've updated the links to reflect version 3.1.2. Please let us know your thoughts. As a reminder, please uninstall older versions before trying out this latest one. Thanks!

Improvements to the newer Uploadr include:

- general stability;
- video support;
- upload monitoring speed;
- extended EXIF support; and
- cross platform UI tweaks

Here are some new download links.

Windows:
German: h.yimg.com/ce/flickr/FlickrUploadr-3.1.2-de.exe
English: h.yimg.com/ce/flickr/FlickrUploadr-3.1.2-en.exe
Spanish: h.yimg.com/ce/flickr/FlickrUploadr-3.1.2-es.exe
French: h.yimg.com/ce/flickr/FlickrUploadr-3.1.2-fr.exe
Italian: h.yimg.com/ce/flickr/FlickrUploadr-3.1.2-it.exe
Korean: h.yimg.com/ce/flickr/FlickrUploadr-3.1.2-kr.exe
Portuguese: h.yimg.com/ce/flickr/FlickrUploadr-3.1.2-br.exe
Chinese: h.yimg.com/ce/flickr/FlickrUploadr-3.1.2-hk.exe

Mac:
German: h.yimg.com/ce/flickr/FlickrUploadr-3.1.2-de.dmg
English: h.yimg.com/ce/flickr/FlickrUploadr-3.1.2-en.dmg
Spanish: h.yimg.com/ce/flickr/FlickrUploadr-3.1.2-es.dmg
French: h.yimg.com/ce/flickr/FlickrUploadr-3.1.2-fr.dmg
Italian: h.yimg.com/ce/flickr/FlickrUploadr-3.1.2-it.dmg
Korean: h.yimg.com/ce/flickr/FlickrUploadr-3.1.2-kr.dmg
Portuguese: h.yimg.com/ce/flickr/FlickrUploadr-3.1.2-br.dmg
Chinese: h.yimg.com/ce/flickr/FlickrUploadr-3.1.2-hk.dmg

For anyone having issues with this version, there are still a number of other ways to upload to Flickr. The Flash based upload page, also previously released versions, including links to some 3rd party upload applications such as Flock, Windows Live Gallery, and jUploadr. You are welcome to use whatever works best for you before another release.

Don’t forget to uninstall older versions of the Uploadr before installing the new one.
Posted at 1:08PM, 18 December 2008 PST ( permalink )
Kevin (staff) edited this topic ages ago.

← prev 1 2
(1 to 100 of 174 replies in [Closed] New Uploadr 3.1.2)
view photos

zyrcster says:

Yay!
Posted ages ago. ( permalink )

view photos

ColleenM says:

Nice holiday gift!!!

view photos

tsgeisel says:

Here's hoping it doesn't crash on me, the way 3.1.0 just did.

view photos

Mike Wood Photography says:

the browser based flash always works fine for me, why would anyone use the uploadr? I have not used it in years - though the uploading monitoring speed is a good add on.

view photos

ColleenM says:

Mike Wood Photography

Some people just don't want to add 100s of images one at a time.

view photos

Mike Wood Photography says:

@Colleen: I never do. I am a one a day plus vitamins kinda guy. :)

view photos

(deaf mute) says:

I've never used the offline uploadr*, but it's good that staff have continued to update/fix it.

* I suppose it's particularly useful for people on dial-up who can get everything set up before connecting.

view photos

zyrcster says:

I rely on it solely as a broadband user. It's simply much easier for organizational purposes.

This version so far seems to have eliminated the sets/tags failure and the duplicate description problems. Very nice.

view photos

olivepix says:

Great! Thanks a lot!

view photos

Wolfywhispers says:

Cool! (makes a note ta check back in a couple weeks)

view photos

GustavoG says:

Just uploaded a big pile of videos I had essentially given up on... since it was so cumbersome to do via the web interface. The upload worked without a glitch. Thanks!

How hard will it be to add to the next version a "command-H" shortcut for hiding the application, as any respectable Mac app does? :)

view photos

olivepix says:

Just did a test to see if pictures show up in Uploadr in the right order. They do! This makes me very happy, well done!

view photos

ShellyS says:

Coolness. Thanks!

view photos

striatic says:

- i have to second the request for enhanced 'command H'iness. i simply must. i am compelled to.

view photos

Kyudos says:

Ahem...I'm sure you've done some good work here....but it still isn't possible to batch edit common tags. So if you typo a tag on 100 pics the only way to fix it or remove it is one by one (ok, you could add the correct tag, upload everything then remove the typo tag in Flickr, but that isn't the point)

Can I ask for the next version to display for editing all the tags common to the selected images? Thanks.

view photos

Kyudos says:

I'd also like the 'trash can' icon next to the added Sets to be change to a large red minus sign (like the opposite of the add to sets icon). It wasn't obvious to me (to start with) how I could remove a pic from a set I added it to accidently.

view photos

dramatic creator says:

the upload speed in software is more fast in general?

view photos

Flickr Staff

-Jérôme- says:

- Indeed, this version added the Cmd-M but left Cmd-H aside...

view photos

Flickr Staff

-Jérôme- says:

- yes, batch edit common tags is something in the scope of the next release.

view photos

ighs says:

when version 3.0 were born, all other versions stop to work correctly. now 3.1 is here and 3.0 is not working

all photos i add to the list are still there after the upload is complete and even after close the program. when try to remove then, the uploader crash and the console reports some JS errors

just wanted to inform you.

my sys is win xp sp3 in case you need

view photos

ColleenM says:

The Warrior Design

Actually, many of us have been using 3.1 since last April
flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/70149/

What is new is that they've cleaned up 3.1 and released the cleaned-up version as 3.1.1

view photos

hrw worcester says:

The reason I prefer the desktop to the online uploader isn't because I'm uploading tons of photos at once usually, but because I like to have the titles and descriptions and sets all set up before anyone else can see the photos. I used to use the web-based uploader and upload them as private, fix everything, then change the privacy setting, but that was just a silly extra step.

So, thank you! :-)

view photos

ighs says:

- Well, to be honest I never use to enter the Flickr forum and check if there is new version. And there is a "check for updates" option in the Uploadr, right? Though it was working because always got the message that my version is the last one... :(

Now with 3.1.1 and is working good. Sorry if my message sound rude, but just everytime is the same.

Regards,
Georgi.

view photos

olivepix says:

I take it back. It's still uploading in wrong order. :-(

view photos

matschaffer says:

Nice work on this one. Much nicer than v2!

I'd love to see space as a hotkey for an larger view of the image if possible.

Is the source code for this available anywhere?

Thanks!

view photos

MacSmiley says:

My preferred Flickr uploader is the superb Mac OS X app 1001 by Adriaan Tijsseling. It deserves a mention in your list of alternatives above.

1001 is more than an uploader, though. It's a great way to monitor your contacts, keep an eye on Explore, or watch your favorite groups.

view photos

Kyudos says:

OlivePix....I've never thought it uploads in the wrong order... what do you mean exactly?

view photos

olivepix says:

Kyudos:
All my files are named by date and number, for example 20081220_0259. When I add let's say 20 at a time to Uploadr, they come up out of order(in Uploadr screen and then upload to Flickr the same way). It's been like this for while, I was hoping that was fixed. It's not a problem if you upload a few at a time, but if you're trying to get through large amount of photos and want them in order taken in photostream it's a bit of a pain. Am I the only one having this problem?

view photos

zyrcster says:

olivepix The Uploader should post whatever is at the top left of its window to the top of your stream.

So, if you have

A B C
D E F

In the Uploader, you'll get

A B
C D
E F

in your stream.

Are you saying that it does not do this?

view photos

zyrcster says:

Also, you can arrange photos anyway you want in the Uploader window, to get the order you want in your stream -- but you have to do the arranging.

view photos

olivepix says:

I will try again, but this is not what I've been experiencing.

view photos

olivepix says:

OK, here's a test. I've selected a bunch of photos and took a screen grab: Picture 5 .
Then dumped them in Uploadr and took a screen grab: Picture 6. Hope it's OK to post pics here to illustrate the problem. Please delete them if it's not.
As you can see they're not in the same order. Am I doing something wrong?

[edit]
Thanks for the tip about rearranging, I didn't know that.

view photos

zyrcster says:

Once you get them into the Uploader, you can then arrange them as you see fit. If it brings them in from your file system funky, just re-sort them to your liking.

What I'm saying is the final order you have in the Uploader when you hit the upload button will be what you see in your account. The fact that it imports things into the Uploader in a way you don't like isn't really important, since you can re-sort them once it is in the Uploader.

The Uploader brings things into it based on date taken. You can then resort them.

view photos

olivepix says:

Yeah, I guess I will have to rearrange each time then. Thanks.

view photos

Kathryn Yu says:

Anybody having trouble getting the Uploadr to recognize embedded EXIF/IPTC fields?

view photos

zyrcster says:

Which fields are you having a problem with?

Oddly enough, the only issue I'm finding is that my tags aren't recognized in the Uploader, but after the upload finishes, they are posted as tags from the EXIF data.

view photos

Kathryn Yu says:

I use the fields for:
Headline
Title
Creator (Author)
Copyright Notice
Rights Usage Terms
Description

When I add a file to the Uploadr application, the title field it's displaying is the filename ("IMG_XXX") and the description is empty. I hit upload, wait for it to upload, and when I go to Flickr, none of the fields are there.

When I upload using the web interface, it's fine. My title, description, everything is there.

I'm on OS X. (Version 10.5.5 to be exact.)

view photos

GustavoG says:

I have the Uploadr set to order items by date taken. I drop a bunch of items on the uploadr interface, and after a bit of quick pre-processing, it orders them by date taken.

Then I click on Upload, and the resulting order in the photostream can be exactly the same as displayed in the Uploadr... or something entirely random.

Which of them it chooses is a bit unfathomable.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Zack Sheppard says:

Kathryn, give an example of an image uploaded with the web uploadr where the EXIF was saved and one that was uploaded with the new Uploadr where it wasn't?

Gustavo, I was able to replicate this and I'll file a bug.

view photos

Schoonmaker III says:

English: h.yimg.com/ce/flickr/release/FlickrUploadr-3.1.1-en.exe Aborts when I Run/install, any ideas?

view photos

Flickr Staff

Zack Sheppard says:

Sounds like you are having trouble just opening the installer? If so I would start by deleting and re-downloading. Make sure you have deleted the old version of the Uploadr before you install as well.

view photos

Schoonmaker III says:

Awesome, Zack that worked, thanks loads!
Schooner

view photos

tsgeisel says:

Crashed again today, mid-upload. js3250 or something like that, was the error.

view photos

tsgeisel says:

Also, why does it show some sets twice in the "Upload to Set" area? It seems to maintain a seperate cache of groups in addition to what gets downloaded from Flickr. Very odd.

view photos

Mugzemet says:

hi.
The most frustrating issue in previous version was that it always reached to 98% and even though i created new set it was not created.

Here is the first problem in this version:
My setting are to resize the pictures to 1600px
It got stuck at 10%.
I've deleted my user (in prefs) and signed up again.

now it is stuck on 78%.

still not good enough verison.
sorry :-/

view photos

rajivbhatt05 says:

Can we upload the video also with this tool..?

view photos

Flickr Staff

-Jérôme- says:

matschaffer: I did not package the source code yet as a tar file.
But it is all available at: code.flickr.com/trac/browser/trunk/uploadr/

view photos

Flickr Staff

-Jérôme- says:

- rajivbhatt05 : Yes, video upload is supported by this version.

- tsgeisel: sorry for the crash experience. Would you happen to have more information that would help us reproduce it?
Yes the sets are created first locally and created on flickr only once it successfully added a photo to a set. So, after a crash, you may well indeed have a corner case where the sets are displayed twice. I'll look into it for the next version.

-Mugzemet: Could you precise when you say that the uploadr is stuck if the app is frozen and you need to quit it or if the progress bar only is stuck. If you switch the view with the little arrow/triangle at the bottom of the app, can you see if it gets stuck in the middle of a photo/video or in between 2, or at the end of the batch? Thx.

view photos

Brenda Anderson says:

The uploadr does not automatically rotate photos based on the EXIF. I'm sure the older version did.

view photos

Axemaniac-Art says:

ok testing it now - waiting for 2 photos to upload after trying to upload all day on the old uploader and through flickr and failing every time.

hope it is much improved - i hate uploading a photo 10 times to get it finally on my page to find myself having to delete 6 duplicets

view photos

Axemaniac-Art says:

taking quite some time - the 2 photos restarted its upload - so now i am trying 1 - its been like 30 mins and its only 40%

view photos

Flickr Staff

-Jérôme- says:

Brenda -
The uploadr is supposed to take into account orientation data fro, EXIF. Could you link to such a photo and we will try to reproduce and fix for the next release?Thx

view photos

Brenda Anderson says:

jeromeinsf wrote

Could you link to such a photo
Here's one I just uploaded. When I dropped it into the Uploadr, the thumbnail shows as horizontal. I uploaded it, and it (correctly) shows as vertical in my stream.

So it's only in the Uploadr display itself that isn't showing the correct rotation.

view photos

joseph lo says:

The uploadr still hangs a lot. Not the application, but it will just stop uploading. I've been trying to upload a batch of pictures ( maybe 150 or so), and it's my 5th attempt at it. It will upload maybe 5, 10 pictures and then stop. It's just not happening for me. It's not that the app is frozen (becomes unresponsive), it's that the app stops uploading.

It did this occasionally in 3.1, but now it's just to the point where it's almost unusable.

It's especially bad when you have a few batches queued up, and it freezes on the first batch. If you close Flickr Uploadr and start it again, it doesn't remember the subsequent batches, or the pictures that WERE succesfully uploaded. A Big Pain if you've already tagged them all within the application.

Perhaps you can add a resume button so that it will kickstart the connection again?

It's really frustrating!!
joseph lo edited this topic ages ago.

view photos

fresa23 says:

i like it lol

view photos

knowledgeable humor says:

Resizing photos to 800px is very poor. Can you up the quality of the file it generates somehow? I find I have to go back and replace numerous photos, especially close ups with a lot of detail. There's a lot of jpeg artifacts showing up that are not in the original file. Other than that it seems much more stable!

view photos

mattvandyk says:

Still throwing the XULRunner error when trying to upload .mov files encoded with h.264. Running Vista Ultimate. This is seriously annoying.
mattvandyk edited this topic ages ago.

view photos

Eddy Phang says:

Nice !

I just downloaded it :)

view photos

JPaul23 says:

New uploader repeatedly fails unless I close down all other internet using apps. Previous version didn't.

view photos

Brandon Milner Photography says:

The feature I want the most still isn't there which is some quick way to NOT use the "date ordered taken" default. I usually order the pics the way I want using my OS (by changing the filenames). I drag them onto the Uploader and the order gets all screwed up. Sure you can drag n re-order in the Uploader but that's a PAIN with 100 photos.

I'd really just prefer:
a) Option to default sort by either Date taken OR Filename
b) One-click "reverse order" which simply reverses the order (handy for those who like to see their pics in their stream in the order taken).

Currently I have to go back to using Version 2.5 to do this and have to manually drag each file onto the uploader one at a time. In 3.1, when I manually drag the files on in the order I want, the Flickr Uploader re-orders them by the date IT thinks they were taken (which isn't always right depending on what software was used to edit it, or if I'm combining multiple camera shoots into one set etc.)

You could easily integrate this all into one control... a "sort order" button with a pop-up for choices.

view photos

applejux says:

it crushes often! :(

view photos

Lady Jayne ~ says:

I cant post my latest photos to groups they are saying unsafe ect. but they are safe can anyone help

view photos

Franie Frou Frou says:

The new version had been a big improvement apart from the odd hanging when uploading (but no bonk message, just lets you think it's still going).

I had a rather more worrying problem with the upload I left running last night though. Put a batch of around 50 through, marked only 3 of them as private (viewable by me only). The upload error message I discovered this morning told me it had uploaded but hadn't been able to put them into the designated sets, went to the organiser to rectify it but they were already in the sets I'd requested. The whole batch are now showing as private but they still have views marked against them. i.e. this one marked as private (doesn't need to be) has 8 views against it www.flickr.com/photos/franie/3146344332/ I'm now tempted to delete all my private images just in case the viewing rights are incorrect. any idea whats going on??

view photos

(deaf mute) says:

Lady Jayne ~ What does the actual error message say? Be sure to check both the content and safety filters for you images. You probably need to set them to SAFE and PHOTO by clicking on "Flag this photo", before sending them to pools.

view photos

__LEVI__ says:

My uploader stopped working it just sits there and repoart signing in downloaded the new version does the same thing so I then tried a older version and it will sign into the account. I receive no error messages on the new version and it does have permission to access the account. At one time everything worked great then one day it wouldn't sign in.

Any ideas?

view photos

Ms. Franca says:

I have the exact same issue as the post before me -Levi- . I was hoping this new version would fix the fact that it will NEVER allow me to sign in. I hate using the old version because it is much harder to organize my photos. This new update didnt help it directs me to the flickr site to sign in and allow permission (which it already had) and then nothing.

view photos

Ms. Franca says:

Error: users.list is undefined
Source File: chrome://uploadr/content/users.js
Line: 149
Source File: chrome://uploadr/content/settings.js
Line: 106
Source File: chrome://uploadr/content/settings.js
Line: 106
Error: undefined entity
Source File: chrome://global/content/viewSource.xul
Line: 67, Column: 5
Source Code:

Error: wintype is null
Source File: chrome://global/content/charsetOverlay.js
Line: 257

view photos

__LEVI__ says:

Even disallowed permission on flickr for eveything deleted the uploader ran a cleaner delete all folders reboot and reinstaller and the same thing happens and I am also using chrome.

view photos

Kelly Lipp says:

Why in the world is sorting photos on these sites so dang hard? Skip the darn exif and sort by the name of the darn file! Geez. Most knuckleheads who use these sites are simply trying to show off their pictures from a recent trip. They're lucky to get them into any semblance of reasonable order on their own computer only to have some "smart" site mess that up for them.

How about Sort by drop down and and an include or not EXIF information and then how about resizing parameters?

I manage software designers: this seems the classic example of them building what they want to build rather than building what the customers want to use!

On to another site to see if I can simply upload and sort by filename. I'm confident somebody has done this correctly. Can you say Shutterfuly?

Thanks,

Kelly Lipp

view photos

Kiirey♡ says:

Yayyyy

view photos

Dazed81 says:

I have been exclusively using what I thought was 3.1 version for a while now, and I just checked for updates via the uploader itself and was told I have the newest version.... but if I do a help about, I get version 3.0.5 ?

I am going to try to uninstall and then reinstall the whole thing again.... but in the meantime, whatever version I am actually running....

I have several issues that I run across on a very regular basis.... maybe they will be resolved if I uninstall and see if I get the actual newest version, since Flickr refuses to upgrade through the uploader...

I will list them here:

1. Comments made to the photo (any photos) are duplicated in the comment area upon upload. One photo may have the comment listed Two-three times in the comment box after the upload completes. Sometimes it only lists the first few sentences of the comment, then inserts a paragraph space, then starts the comment over. This is visible on many of my photos because I don't always feel like manually touching hundreds of photos to fix the issue. Many of my photos are of children (mine) and are only for friends and family... so looking at those you will see many duplicate comments per photo. I see that this has been discussed by other users on several occasions but never apparently fixed or addressed.... As a paying member I agree that this is something that should receive some priority: Previous Thread www.flickr.com/help/forum/74537/?search=uploader+duplicat...

Recently I have been manually fixing all of them (ARGH) but here is an example of one that I haven't fixed, and you can see it is surrounded by others from the same batch with the same issue. In the previous thread someone said it had something to do with editing the comment several times before uploading, and I find that this is absolutely NOT the case, but the longer the comment, the more duplication I seem to get. Example: www.flickr.com/photos/dazed81/3114400179/

2. The uploader often finishes the upload but leaves the photos in the uploader. I can't see that they have been left in until the next time I attempt to upload, or if I close and reopen the uploader, the photos are still in there. If I uploaded from a removeable source, like a camera card or external hard drive that is no longer plugged in when I open the uploader later on, I have the issue that I can't select the photos at all to remove them. It's a REAL pain and that's the one thing that I find exceptionally annoying and I can't wait to have fixed. The status bar shows the upload has completed, but I never (no matter how long I wait) get the "Your upload has finished- go to flickr or stay here" message.... and eventually I have to close the uploader or add more photos without ever having gotten that "finished" message, even though they have all been uploaded successfully and the status shows them all uploaded (at the bottom left of the uploader) and then when I try to start another batch (even after closing and reopening the uploader) those photos are still all there and I have to wait for all of them to load again before I can select all and remove them. I think there should be a "REMOVE ALL" option that I can use before they have all loaded, or even better, fix the issue altogether.

3. I am on a cable connection and often times I get messages halfway through that flickr has stopped responding and that I will have to try again. one thing that I Am EXTREMELY grateful for is that the uploader now gives you the option to try again, instead of wiping everything clean like the old uploader did. I don't notice a glitch in my web browsing, or in my VOIP telephone service, but Flickr uploader registers a glitch that stops the downloading. This happens almost every time I have a large batch. sometimes if I have 100-300 photos in a batch, it may glitch every 20-30 photos or so, and I have to repeatedly "try again" until I get them all uploaded.

I think there is another issue I am having but I can't remember for sure what it is, I will come back if I think of it!!
Dazed81 edited this topic ages ago.

view photos

Flickr Staff

-Jérôme- says:

- mattvandyk : I have reproduced your issue with one of your video file. This is due to a particularism of this file, when handled through ffmpeg. The headers report a height of 281 pixel but the frames decoded are 282 pixels high.
Working on a workaround for next version.
Thx for the feedback

view photos

jmoliver says:

What about Machine Tag support?

It would be nice that Uploadr would provide a better/friendlier interface for adding machine tags. Say add a list under "Preferences" where a user can add preferred machine tags namespaces and predicates for easier retrieval and adding the values.

Also, some users like to add file specific machine tags, it would be nice to provide an easier way to automatically add these- say exif or filename. For example allow something like scr:filename= where is automatically replaced by Uploadr with the original filename.
jmoliver edited this topic ages ago.

view photos

mattvandyk says:

@Jeromeinsf: Thanks for the response. I'm not being pushy here, just wondering what sort of time frame to expect for "a workaround for next version". I may just change the settings used to create the files from 281 to 282. Would that work? Thanks!

view photos

mattvandyk says:

@Jeromeinsf: THANK YOU! Telling me about the disconnect between the header info and the info being reported by ffmpeg helped me a great deal! I revised the settings I was using to convert the video to "Flickr Format" from 500x281 to 500x282 and it now works perfectly! Thanks again.

view photos

Kinergy says:

Hi, I used to be able to drag photos from Picasa to the Uploadr - this no longer works!!! Any chance you could fix this? Ideally Picasa would support Flickr in addition to their own web sharing, maybe next Christmas...

Thanks!

view photos

Ronald Ng Photos says:

The new version still doesn't work...

I load in circa 280 pictures and the thing just seems to stop working. The Flickr Uplodr.exe chews 95% of the CPU and does nothing.

view photos

Flickr Staff

-Jérôme- says:

- Kinergy: for now, I have heard that picasa2flickr is working pretty well to upload from Picasa to flickr.
- Ronald: thumbnailing 280 pictures can take some time and CPU cycles but should succeed after some time. Maybe there is a specific picture on which the uploadr chokes.

view photos

obsolete talk says:

another call for more flexibility in sort order from me!

is it too much to ask to have a 'reverse' order button for when the uploader insists on putting newest first? i mean - outside of flickr's photostream - who else on the planet wants to organise sets of photos so the ones they took first come at the end?

there also seems to be a problem with the sorting order [or maybe it's an undocumented feature?] iif i grab a load of images within a set and drag them to a new position in the set, the order of the selected images reverses when dropped into their new place. it actually provides quite a handy way of reversing the uploadr's order of images, until such time as we get a 'reverse' order button.

another gripe. when the order of a set has been manually rearranged, a link appears at the top of the window saying 'sort by date' which lets you return to the order flickr uploadr initially put them in. however the active area of the link is the whole of the top area of the window [rather than just the text] this makes it frustratingly easy to accidentally click this option when trying to click on an image in the top row of the window - thus undoing at a stroke all your careful re-ordering [for there is no undo available].

and finally a thumbs up. i'm not sure when this was introduced, but i'm glad to see flickr uploadr at last 'saves state'. so that if you start labelling and ordering a large set of images and then shut uploadr down, you don't lose everything, as was the case with the earlier version of the uploadr i tried - 'poof!' everything gone, after about an hour of filling in descriptions and tags on a set of 200+ images - and not so much as a warning that uploadr was not going to save anything.

that, at least is a major improvement!

[all above comments + observations using uploadr on macbookpro running OSX 10,5,6]

view photos

Kyudos says:

Perhaps I'm just less trusting of the internet in general, but I rarely upload batches of more than 100 photos and probably wouldn't trust any tool to do this either. I've never had any of the (seemingly) common problems people report (incomplete uploads, duplicate uploads, crashes).

Does uploading smaller batches improve the situation for anyone?

(I'm using 3.1.1 on Windows XP)

view photos

tibiloo says:

Uploadr refuse to sign in ???
The problem appeared yesterday afternoon.
tibiloo edited this topic ages ago.

view photos

Flickr Staff

-Jérôme- says:

__LEVI__ , Ms. Franca and tibiloo : could you tell me whether you have a file named users.json in: C:\Documents and Settings\[your windows' account]\Application Data\Flickr\Flickr Uploadr\Profiles\[something].default ?
If yes, what is its content?

view photos

tibiloo says:

No, I don't have such file
I tried the old version of uploadr and it works. I can sign in
The problem is I want to use the new version. Until yesterday I had no problem at all.

view photos

mrjoro says:

My Uploadr crashes immediately whenever I try to upload any of my Canon 5D Mark II video files on XP. (Simply adding the video files to the Uploadr causes the crash--I don't need to actually click "Upload.")

I thought it might be due to the xmp metadata that Adobe Bridge appends to the .mov files, but I get the same problem when I try to upload files straight from the camera (with no tagging or editing).

Uploading the same file via the flickr web interface works fine.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Kevin says:

mrjojo- would this be an example file which did not work on Uploadr?

view photos

fair waves says:

Ooh, I didn't know about Cmd-H. Now I'm hiding all sorts of things willy nilly. Thanks!

view photos

mrjoro says:

Kevin, yes that movie crashes Uploadr when I add it to upload it. (I can send you the original if you need it.)

I can still interact with the Uploadr even after the "Flickr Uploadr.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close" error message, e.g. to remove the video. (If I don't remove the video then the next time Uploadr starts it still has the video and then crashes again without me doing anything.)

view photos

Flickr Staff

Kevin says:

Ok, no need- I was able to duplicate it, and wrote up a bug report with crash log for Jérôme. Thanks!

view photos

HoodieR says:

Hello folks,
Happy New Year. I have a question which may have been covered but so far I haven't found it. I purchased a new tower recently and while my old tower used XP this new computer uses a Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS. Is this new Uploadr 3.1.1 compatible with this OS? Is there anything I have to do differently? I'm afraid I'm not very computer savvy so I would appreciate any recommendations / suggestions. Thank you.

view photos

nutty weather says:

I have some videos that I used to be able to upload with 3.1 fine, but whenever I load them in 3.1.1 I get this little warning triangle with an exclamation mark, and when I click the video in the app it just disappears.

However, they upload just fine to Flickr through the web tool.

Here as an example of such a video:
www.flickr.com/photos/vostok4/3162976909

Is there something I need to change?

view photos

patchworkbunny says:

I've got the same problem as Ms.Franca (same errors and not logging in) but no files with that name.

view photos

tibiloo says:

I still can't sign in...
it's very strange that the problem appear suddenly and only with this new version.

view photos

mjm_photo says:

Hey, maybe this one'll work, since the online uploader and desktop uploader both pretty much gave up the ghost on me last week

view photos

loupiote (Old Skool) pro says:

@jeromeinsf

- mattvandyk : I have reproduced your issue with one of your video file. This is due to a particularism of this file, when handled through ffmpeg. The headers report a height of 281 pixel but the frames decoded are 282 pixels high.
Working on a workaround for next version.
Thx for the feedback

for your information:

MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 files are made of 16x16 macroblocks, so the size of the decoded bitmap is always a multiple of 16x16.

HOWEVER, the header can indicate a smaller size, and in the case the pixels outside this smaller size should not be displayed.

for example, if you have a video in size 150x100, it will be coded using frames in 160x112 (i.e. a multiple of 16x16), but the bottom 10 lines and the right 12 columns of pixels are outside of the display area, and they should not be displayed.

in most cases, people will use a display size (i.e. size in header) that is a multiple of 16x16 because usually some coding artifacts are introduced near the edges when the size of the coded frames does not match the size of the display area. but this is not necessary, and you should handle correctly cases like the one you describe.

view photos

jjmorse says:

I am unable to drag folders with pictures into the Uploadr. When I try, either with multiple or a single folder from my hard disk, I get the pink indicator from the Uploadr GUI as I drag folders over, but when I release the mouse button, nothing happens. In 3.1, I had no problem dragging folders; in fact, it was one of the main reasons I used Uploadr over the web uploader.

I didn't see any other posts with others facing this issue, so perhaps it is just me, but I would like to know for sure.

view photos

Flickr Staff

-Jérôme- says:

loupiote: indeed, this is exactly that. I can get the actual size of the frame from ffmpeg, after the decoding step instead of relying on the headers' information.

jjmorse: yes indeed folder dragging is not supported in this version. I'll have to think about this functionality for the future. In the mean time, as a work around, you can select everything in folder and drag that to the uploadr.

view photos

wheredowegonowbutnowhere says:

The encoding bug previously reported is still present.

Setup: Mac OS X Leopard, Flickr Uploadr 3.1.1, Adobe Photoshop Lightroom.

Bug1: Keywords (tags) with foreign characters (åäöÅÄÖ for swedish) ends up broken. "Skåne" becomes "Skne" for example, and the remaining keywords get cancelled.

Bug2: EXIF Data (Location, City etc) containing the same characters ends up broken. Example: flickr.com/photos/fearandloathing/3170548846/meta/in/set-... (check city that should be "Malmö").

Since this bug is present since I opened my Flickr account over a year ago, I really wish it could be fixed since manually editing the tags for each photo after each upload is a nightmare.

view photos

loupiote (Old Skool) pro says:

@jeromeinsf

loupiote: indeed, this is exactly that. I can get the actual size of the frame from ffmpeg, after the decoding step instead of relying on the headers' information.

well no, in fact you should rely on the headers' information. the frame buffers used for the decoding are based on the values in the header, rounded-up to the next macroblock size (i.e. 16x16), but the effective size is the one in the header, i.e. that's the size that should be used for display or transcoding.

if you ignore the header, you will have ugly invalid borders on some video, that should normally have been cropped based on the values in the header.

note: i was an active member of the MPEG committee a few years ago, and i drafted large parts of the standard document.

view photos

Flickr Staff

-Jérôme- says:

@wheredowegonowbutnowhere:
I will take a look with www.flickr.com/photos/fearandloathing/3170548846/ and www.flickr.com/photos/fearandloathing/3170540648/

@loupiote:
the issue is not so much 16 bits alignment for MPEG format. I was not talking about MPEG frame headers: this is all nicely taken care of by FFMPEG itself as far as the uploadr concerned.
But for wrapper formats like .mov (and in the past, I have seen that also with some .wmv) there is a resolution field in the header of the wrapper itself.
The uploadr was using this info to allocate the buffer that would contain the frame used to create the thumbnail in the GUI.
However, it becomes 100% valid, only once a frame is decoded. In the case of wmv, M$ would even argue that the resolution can change within the same stream, so their API reports the latest resolution decoded.

Note on the note : I myself was working in the video field before (Sonic Solutions, Roxio, etc) that is why I am on this project now...;-)

view photos

jjmorse says:

@jeromeinsf:
Thanks for the quick response. I am surprised that a new version of the Uploadr would be designed to remove such a useful feature as folder dragging. I organize my photos into folders by date, so opening 31 folders and selecting all of the photos manually each month isn't a great option for me. I hope folder dragging is restored; otherwise I will be stuck with 3.1 for the future.

This thread has been closed by Flickr Staff.

← prev 1 2
(1 to 100 of 174 replies in [Closed] New Uploadr 3.1.2)
Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads