Help / The Help Forum

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] Have an idea for Flickr? Share it here.
Latest: 3 hours ago
New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings available to all members.
Latest: 3 months ago
[Updated April 26, 2021] Flickr is moving payments to Stripe
Latest: 12 months ago
Welcome to the Flickr Help Forum! Click here to get started and to read our Forum Guidelines.
Latest: 18 months ago

Current Discussion

My Group Disappeared
Latest: 3 minutes ago
Sorting photos in albums - basic
Latest: 20 minutes ago
[Acknowledged by Flickr Staff] Recent activity - Can we have it back? Please???
Latest: 73 minutes ago
[Acknowledged by Flickr Staff] Extremely low views and faves
Latest: 2 hours ago
No photos in Camera Roll .
Latest: 3 hours ago
[Resolved] Stats Sources Not Showing
Latest: 6 hours ago
private photos in albums
Latest: 7 hours ago
Flickr Support?
[Resolved] 504 Bad Gateway
[Acknowledged by Flickr Staff] Pictures from account I dont follow in my Feed
Please, help! I'm not receiving any email notification about activity on my account.
Latest: 8 hours ago
Faves
Latest: 9 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

Will there be any Pro offers for Black Friday?

ベスト says:

I may buy Pro if so.
Posted at 11:20AM, 11 November 2021 PST ( permalink | reply )

view photos

kiwirat says:

That really would not be fair to the folks that already their subscriptions.
Posted 3 weeks ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

conall.. says:

kiwirat: but you could sort of say that of any black friday offer (or any other temporary promotion/offer for anything)

..but yes I do agree it would be sure to annoy some folk too

view photos

ManxieB- prefer comments! says:

it could be added on to whatever subscription there was

view photos

monkeyc.net says:

Having just been stung for the latest sub i would hope not, its almost doubled in 3 years so seeing people get a discount on it for black friday would not be a happy event

view photos

Oldt1mer - Keith says:

But if Flickr were to do a Black Friday deal, surely it would be for a year (the two year deal was just another deal taken away from us by you know who) which would be added on to any remaining subscription therefore we would all benefit, regardless of how much we paid originally, from a reduced price extra year.
Can't ever see it happening though :(((

view photos

Thomas Hawk says:

An interesting economic dilemma.

I vote yes.

Existing Pros could join in if they want and tack a year on their current subscription.

Just think of the huge one day's cash haul that would be rolling up at Flickr HQ.
Posted 2 weeks ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

ManxieB- prefer comments! says:

so far its only for non-pros!
Posted 9 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

conall.. says:

ManxieB- prefer comments!:

yes new subscriptions only:

"BLACK FRIDAY DEAL: 30% off Flickr Pro.
No matter your style, subject, or setup, Flickr Pro gives you access to more of everything that makes Flickr great. Get 30% off* Flickr Pro today.
*30% off discount only valid for the first year of new annual subscriptions."

www.flickr.com/photos/flickr/51698255936

view photos

edlp2k says:

Well, I guess I'm the guinea pig for this experiment. I logged out and took the discount offer when it popped up on log in. The card seems to have gone through. I even got a Welcome pop up. And here I am in my existing account without separate log in.

We'll see what happens when the account rolls over and they bill me next month or bill me this month. Will there be one of me? Or two of me, one at a discount; the other full price? You never know...
edlp2k edited this topic 9 days ago.

view photos

Mr_Tronics says:

Well on the right hand side of the main page under "Flickr Editorial" it does not mention about "new subscriptions" but if clicked the info says "Your new subscription will take effect once your current subscription ends." so as i see this im not renewing my subscription but ending my current one and starting a new one.

view photos

N808PV says:

conall..:

BLACK FRIDAY DEAL

In my region they call it: "Cyber Week Special"

view photos

uk_senator says:

Like many, I get nothing out of Flickr, I`ve always used it as a form of social media, I`m only here to share pictures with people I`ve become "internet friends" with on here (fellow old car spotting geeks!). I used to be pro till a few years ago, as I`ve been struggling financially, & lost my job for health reasons last year, so I simply cant afford pro any more, especially as I`ve watched the price more than double in recent years, for no discernible reason.

I saw the offer in my inbox & decided to click on it, even after the "black Friday" deal, its still a tad under £40, & that is roughly a week & a half's shopping for me, or a tank of petrol, so quite a significant amount to spend with no return as such, so I`m baulking, whereas I wouldn't be if it was say, £20-ish a year (for a recreational account), like it used to be when I first started..

Was also interesting to see they`re adding 20% British VAT, which made me wonder, 1. why are we paying tax of a photo sharing site as non-business users, & 2. is Smugmug, an American company, actually paying British taxes? That might make me sound a little conspiracy theorist, but given all we know about online companies these days, tax payments are often spirited away to the Caymans...

Theres so many free & much cheaper alternatives now, I suspect more & more people are moving over to them, & will continue to, as long as site like this keep raising their prices, because it really doesn't make sense, Flickr doesn't offer much more than, say, Insta/FB/Twitter (free), or Google photos (@ £16 a year for 100gb), so where's the motive to pay for most recreational users?
uk_senator edited this topic 9 days ago.

view photos

mag3737 says:

uk_senator:

Flickr doesn't offer much more than, say, Insta/FB/Twitter (free), or Google photos

This is kind of like saying "The gas station on the corner doesn't offer much more than Fred's Cafe or Betty's Jewelry Shop".

view photos

uk_senator says:

mag3737:

No, not really, all of my examples can be used to host photo`s free, as opposed to your sarcastic selection of comparisons.. Theres many thousands of social users who will also have either stopped paying for flickr because theres so many competitors out there. The point is, if Flickr had kept its pro price reasonable, they would have retained many more people. Its a competitive market.

view photos

woordenaar says:

A big middle finger for those years long members, thank you Flickr!

view photos

Das Boot 160 says:

woordenaar:

Yes, I have tried to take up the offer, even though I don't expire for some time, but nothing has happened, no extension of expiry date or conformation of it going through, so it looks like only for those who are not already Pro.

view photos

N808PV says:

Where are the examples where companies make promotional offers for new customers also available to the entire customer base ?

2 months ago I took an annual subscription to the New York Times, for 1 USD a month instead of 8 USD. A discount of 87.5 percent. If I stay as a new customer for years, the calculation for the NYT looks completely different.
Posted 8 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

The lens profile says:

30% off but of course not for existing pro users. Just got a mail for my sleeping free account. Once you are a pro you pay and pay and pay.

view photos

Ulster1916 says:

Great offer 30% off for one whole year, nope I think I will skip it

view photos

conall.. says:

edlp2k:

We'll see what happens when the account rolls over and they bill me next month or bill me this month. Will there be one of me? Or two of me, one at a discount; the other full price? You never know...

it would be good to get clarity on this from Staff in this discussion thread.

the questions are: if a pro subscriber tries to avail of this offer 1)can they actually get 30% off, 2) does starting the new subscription terminate the current annual subscription and immediately start a new year (e.g for me I have about 4 or 5 months remaining in current pro subscription, do i lose this?) or does the new discounted subscription start when current one ends.

You can see from the discussion here that there is some confusion about what way this works for existing pro customers.

view photos

Das Boot 160 says:

conall..:

If you a Pro account hold tries to take up on this offer, it will not be processed. It's only aimed at None Pro accounts (Free account) Only.

view photos

adecoleman says:

I have emailed support about the discount as my subscription to Pro renews tomorrow 24th and they have just replied and told me that the 30% discount applies only to new Pro subscriptions for the first year.
So in a nutshell no discount for existing Pro subscribers unfortunately

As the saying goes "If you don't ask you don't get" So I asked and didn't get.

view photos

Thomas Hawk says:

Everybody loves a discount, myself included, and not to suggest that there are people who cannot afford Flickr.... but...

Most of the time people who have a digital camera, and/or a digital mobile phone, and/or a film camera (with money to pay for film and developing and printing), it's not truly that they can't afford flickr as much as it's not a compelling enough value proposition for them.

A lot of people say the "can't afford" flickr but then they seem to be able to afford other subscriptions (like Netflix, or the NY Times, or Spotify, or HBO or Hulu, or Disney+ or AppleTV or a cable TV service, or mobile phone service, or a beer at the bar, or a starbucks coffee.... etc. )

Usually people who have the means to buy a digital camera or an Android or iPhone (with service) actually DO have the means to pay for Flickr Pro -- they'd just rather not because they choose to spend their money on something else. There's nothing wrong with that, but I've always had a hard time with people suggesting that they can't afford flickr.

And if someone truly can't afford Flickr, perhaps it's best to practice the art of curation and keep your account to your 1,000 best photos or maybe a friend on Flickr might gift you a Pro account if you explain your situation to them in compelling enough terms.

For me Flickr represents an enormous value proposition and I'm happy to have been a Pro since 2004 when my first account was gifted to me and have paid ever since. It's the site I use the most and a magnificent and glorious photographic playground with endless opportunities for exploration, discovery and community.

view photos

mag3737 says:

uk_senator:

No, not really, all of my examples can be used to host photo`s free, as opposed to your sarcastic selection of comparisons.

You're right, I should not have included the jewelry store. However the corner gas station and the cafe are both places to pick up a quick snack. MY point is, the services you mentioned provide such richly different capabilities overall that comparing them is nonsense.

view photos

Ulster1916 says:

Best to remember that in business there is no such thing as a free lunch

view photos

Donkey Hot-tea says:

Shhhhh. What's that I hear?

Hornets

view photos

Ulster1916 says:

Donkey Hot-tea:

Please explain what you mean as I do not understand your post in this topic.

view photos

FotoFling Scotland says:

Thomas Hawk:

Well said ! I agree 100%

view photos

FotoFling Scotland says:

Thomas Hawk:

Well said ! I agree 100%

view photos

Mr_Tronics says:

adecoleman:

Well I for one wont be renewing my pro account at the full price as it offers nothing more than stats and is not worth it for me. I would have kept it going at the discounted price £39.11 and Flickr would have had some income for a service but now i will stick with the free account.

view photos

Das Boot 160 says:

FotoFling Scotland:

I actually found it a crass & smug response.

view photos

conall.. says:

Das Boot 160:

If you a Pro account hold tries to take up on this offer, it will not be processed. It's only aimed at None Pro accounts (Free account) Only.

That is what I had thought from the announcement but what edlp2k: experienced sounded rather different than that and raised these questions - thats why I posted the comment.

Das Boot 160: are you saying you tried to take up the offer and it wasnt processed? or are you just going from the wording of the announcement like I was initially?

view photos

conall.. says:

Thomas Hawk:

I do broadly agree with that analysis for most folks from rich countries. For sure there are a few that genuinely cant afford it but for many it is more a case of competing priorities and assessment of value for money.

But important to remember that there are many parts of the world where the cost of Flickr is much more prohibitive to ordinary people in real terms than it is in US, Western Europe etc. I have always thought it would be good to have a pricing structure that reflects earnings/cost of living/affordability in individual countries. I can see that that would be difficult to administer and potentially generate loopholes for the less scrupulous to exploit too. ...but in an ideal world it would be a friendly and inclusive model to achieve

view photos

Andy Oleksy says:

The lens profile:

Just cancel your pro account and signup with the promo. How hard is that? I let my pro account lapse a couple of years ago and am considering signing up for this. I will cancel a year from now and try to get the 2022 BF promo pricing. If I can't, no big deal. I'll just delete some of my underperforming old photos and live a non-pro life for another year or two. Stats are nice, but not a must, and I don't post more than once a week (I still have 150 photos before I reach my limit).

view photos

Das Boot 160 says:

conall..:

I tried to take up the offer and it wasn't processed

view photos

conall.. says:

Andy Oleksy:

Just cancel your pro account and signup with the promo. How hard is that?

if that means losing 4 months of current annual subscription then there isnt much point in doing that? or am i missing something?

view photos

conall.. says:

Das Boot 160:

thanks - good to know

view photos

adrianspeyer says:

I am still on the fence. Does anyone know if stats are retroactive?
Posted 7 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

Midnight-Blue says:

adrianspeyer:

No they are not. Stats start the day you become PRO.
Posted 7 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

wildhareuk says:

Mr_Tronics:

The main and principle feature of a pro account is the ability to upload unlimited number of images - anything else is just icing on the cake and not really important (at least not to me)
Posted 6 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

Nionyn_ says:

wildhareuk:

Everyone is different, and people use Flickr in different ways.
So you will find that people have different reasons for paying for a Flickr account.

For me, I don't care about stats, and I don't care about unlimited uploads. The only reason I pay for my account is because I loathe advertising: I don't want to see any on Flickr, and don't want anyone who looks at my photos to see advertising.

view photos

Scarlet Pimpernel says:

I see nothing much has changed since i used Flickr last about two years ago. See you all again in about a year or two to see if anything has changed much.

view photos

John Frattura says:

Scarlet Pimpernel:

So you missed last year's Christmas party, where flickr gave everyone $1000 and a keg of guacamole?

view photos

MabelAmber️***Pluto5339***MysteryGuest says:

Lol

view photos

Dscot3 says:

The lens profile:

I have a Pro account and managed to get the 30% code to work. Try this link www.flickr.com/account/upgrade/pro/pro-annual?coupon=FLIC...
Posted 5 days ago. ( permalink | reply )
Dscot3 edited this topic 5 days ago.

view photos

woordenaar says:

Dscot3:

I've tried. It shows 30% off indeed but after conferming nothing happens. No mail from Flickr, nothing charged on my credit card. I was send to my photostream and did get a pop-up that I'm now a pro member (which I was already, so nothing new).

view photos

Dscot3 says:

woordenaar:

I'm thinking maybe you don't get charge till you current subscription runs out - if I go to my settings and select "manage your Pro subscription" mine now under annual plan has £55.88 crossed out and £39.11 added, so that should be what I'm charged when my current subscription year ends.
Dscot3 edited this topic 5 days ago.

view photos

@petra says:

Hi
I am upgrading "back" to Pro, as I had recently cancelled my Pro account (which is now running out) but now decided to keep it.
However there is a reasonable price difference between the usual "Upgrading" process and the Black Friday offer today.
I want to use the Black Friday offer to upgrade to PRO again.
Can I do that?

Annual Plan
$50.32 - THIS IS THE BLACK FRIDAY OFFER.
Does it assure that I will keep all my photos posted since 2006?

Get unlimited storage, ad-free, with advanced statistics, worry-free backup via the desktop Auto-Uploadr, and exclusive discounts from Adobe, Blurb, SmugMug, and Priime.
$5.99/month* X 12 = $71.88
* Billed annually. THIS IS CHARGED WHEN UPGRADING AND THAT´S HOW I KEEP ALL MY PHOTOS SINCE 2006.

Many thanks

view photos

hkavas says:

I cancelled my pro account starting from next month. Because in my country government devaluated Turkish Lira appr. 80 per cent for this year. So it has been too expensive for us. Even 30 percent discount is not reosanble for me. I hope in the future exchange rates become normalized then we return pro account again :((
Posted 4 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

Tynie Topics says:

Dscot3:

Hmmm......that may have worked. I'm a Pro user paying monthly.
Posted 4 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

woordenaar says:

Dscot3:

Ah, thanks. I see the same so I'll have to wait till february to see what happens.
Posted 3 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

Ulster1916 says:

Anybody know just what F deems to be a week as the annoying cyber week banner is still appearing. BTW inserting blank screens with "Pro & ADs" is somewhat counter-productive or are F not aware of this?.
Posted 3 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

conall.. says:

Ulster1916:

i dont know the banner I and cant see it but if Cyber Monday is today (29th) then presumably this week will be cyber week, all week i would have thought?

I dont fully understand your comment about blank screen but I would think that if you are seeing blank screens between photos in place of adds then it is to incentivise you to take out a pro subscription. Pretty sure that wont be conter productive on everyone!
Posted 2 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

Ulster1916 says:

conall..:

The banner was here all week. I remain disincentivised

view photos

ladyinblack1964 says:

Dscot3:

The link appears to be working for me. Thank you very much!

view photos

Ulster1916 says:

Thats good apparently cyber week has ended and the banner has gone, now drop the blank screens with the "Upgrade to Pro and hide the Ads". No doubt if people wanted to join "Pro" they would have done so as I presume that when joining Flickr the two options would have been made obvious to potential members.
Posted 24 hours ago. ( permalink | reply )
Ulster1916 edited this topic 24 hours ago.

Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads